Official Sony HX820 Owner's Thread (46HX820, 55HX820) - Page 73 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2161 of 2586 Old 03-21-2012, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok so it wasn't just me. I have been following it for a while too, but at that price I'm not biting. $1200 then count me in. Maybe I should just go with the NX720
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 2586 Old 03-21-2012, 08:28 PM

nah dont go with the 720 I heard it 3d sucks. 120hz is no good. wait for the drop like me
post #2163 of 2586 Old 03-21-2012, 09:16 PM

Ha, thanks man. The new HX850 is very tempting but I just can't afford that much. I guess waiting is the only option, because I really want this set.
post #2164 of 2586 Old 03-22-2012, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minoas View Post

pkg4.002eua-0104

I downloaded new update today for the HX820. Version pkg4.003. Still no details (release notes) posted for this firmware version on Sony's eSupport page--am sure the details will follow in the coming weeks.

LB
post #2165 of 2586 Old 03-24-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drasher_ View Post

I had some free time and decided to actually try to go through the service menu and look around.. First I could see what Jamtuff and some other people said about the white point setting changing a tv.. I, at first didnt notice any change but thought I was doing it wrong so just focused on the regular and advanced settings then came back to the white point and tried again and finally had success, kind of funny how stupid a mistake I was doing.. I think a lot of people are doing the same mistake as I am because the instructions people give are vague on what you do after you set your white point..

This is what I did to enter the service menu with which you can change white point:

1. Power Off
2. Display
3. 5
4. Volume +
5. Power On

A ugly green and black menu should be in the middle/right of the tv, from here:

1. 1
2. 2
3. 0
4. Enter (middle of the cirlce navigator, press crosshair button)
5. Enter (middle of the cirlce navigator, press crosshair button)

Now here is where you enter the white point setting with numbers 00-10 (if you want 5 it would be 05, if you want 7 it would be 07, if you want 0 it would be 00) sorry for so many examples but at first I would put just 5 or 7.. has to be 2 digits no matter what.

After you input your white point setting:

1. Enter

2. Your screen turns white.. its normal dont panic

(Do not worry what setting you input, you have full controll.. Hit Return to go back to the white point setting menu to try again... Go off the white screen to judge what you want)

After being happy with your pick:

1. Jump
2. Muting
3. 0
4. Then power off
5. Wait 20 seconds then turn power on

There you go... A long, winded instruction on how to set the white point... Sorry if this has been posted 100 times but it was unclear to me when I searched.

Thanks for this.
Does anyone know what the default white point from factory is?
post #2166 of 2586 Old 03-25-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonDTV View Post

Thanks for this.
Does anyone know what the default white point from factory is?

I dont think so.. There is no way that I know of to check, maybe some of the number codes on the bottom or earlier in the menu.. It seems the sets were on a higher white point, which I had better luck with. I have it set to 8, but you sure can see the strength of this tv by messing with the white point.. Goes from dark gray @1 all the way up to like searing white @10.. To me the white point and white balance setting are the most important.. My set had WAYY too much green color, notched that down and that helped so much... Find a scene in a movie or show that has a good mixture of darks and different colors and play around with the white balance setting.. This gave me the most luck with getting the best picture out of this beast..
post #2167 of 2586 Old 03-25-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ2 View Post

I downloaded new update today for the HX820. Version pkg4.003. Still no details (release notes) posted for this firmware version on Sony's eSupport page--am sure the details will follow in the coming weeks.

Any improvements or additions? I am dling right now
post #2168 of 2586 Old 03-25-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:

Thanks again drasher.

I assume a factory reset of the TV would be the only way to restore original white point.

I did the update perhaps I might notice faster menu transition and Wi-Fi connection.
Perhaps?lol
post #2169 of 2586 Old 03-25-2012, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nothing I have noted so far and until Sony posts the latest firmware details, I can only assume another minor update to enhance wireless performance which seems to be a common update for this model.

Anybody else notice any significant changes?

LB
post #2170 of 2586 Old 03-25-2012, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:

I had some free time and decided to actually try to go through the service menu and look around.. First I could see what Jamtuff and some other people said about the white point setting changing a tv.. I, at first didnt notice any change but thought I was doing it wrong so just focused on the regular and advanced settings then came back to the white point and tried again and finally had success, kind of funny how stupid a mistake I was doing.. I think a lot of people are doing the same mistake as I am because the instructions people give are vague on what you do after you set your white point..

This is what I did to enter the service menu with which you can change white point:

1. Power Off
2. Display
3. 5
4. Volume +
5. Power On

A ugly green and black menu should be in the middle/right of the tv, from here:

1. 1
2. 2
3. 0
4. Enter (middle of the cirlce navigator, press crosshair button)
5. Enter (middle of the cirlce navigator, press crosshair button)

Now here is where you enter the white point setting with numbers 00-10 (if you want 5 it would be 05, if you want 7 it would be 07, if you want 0 it would be 00) sorry for so many examples but at first I would put just 5 or 7.. has to be 2 digits no matter what.

After you input your white point setting:

1. Enter

2. Your screen turns white.. its normal dont panic

(Do not worry what setting you input, you have full controll.. Hit Return to go back to the white point setting menu to try again... Go off the white screen to judge what you want)

After being happy with your pick:

1. Jump
2. Muting
3. 0
4. Then power off
5. Wait 20 seconds then turn power on

There you go... A long, winded instruction on how to set the white point... Sorry if this has been posted 100 times but it was unclear to me when I searched.

Thanks for the detailed instructions drasher.

All the instructions i have found didn't make perfect sense to me but yours are much better.

I have heard that doing this eliminates the crease etc which i am in doubt about as i don't see how it could make any difference. I see some people setting it to 4 or lower but on my screen that is grey not white.

Not sure i will do it as last time i kept thinking it at ruined the picture even though your instructions show i hadn't even saved the settings.

I ended up however doing a reset as i wanted it back to default settings.

Thanks again.

Aaron
post #2171 of 2586 Old 03-25-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ2 View Post

Nothing I have noted so far and until Sony posts the latest firmware details, I can only assume another minor update to enhance wireless performance which seems to be a common update for this model.

Anybody else notice any significant changes?

Benefits and improvements:

Improves the performance and stability of the Internet TV features.
Improves the performance of Wi-Fi integrated models with last generation routers.

Restrictions: only for use with TV sold in Europe. Not all models are sold in all countries

http://www.sony.gr/support/el/produc...ds/AZ2EUA_4002
post #2172 of 2586 Old 03-25-2012, 07:37 PM

Liked: 11
i might be wrong, but my menu scrolling isnt as laggy as before...
post #2173 of 2586 Old 03-26-2012, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonDTV View Post

Thanks again drasher.

I assume a factory reset of the TV would be the only way to restore original white point.

I did the update perhaps I might notice faster menu transition and Wi-Fi connection.
Perhaps?lol

I'm crazy because I just updated to the U.S. last version that I never applied lol.
post #2174 of 2586 Old 03-26-2012, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by isrararrafi View Post

i might be wrong, but my menu scrolling isnt as laggy as before...

You may be right. I was able to spend some time with the TV yesterday and I didn't seem to have any trouble with the Home menu freezing or my widgets not loading while connected wirelessly as opposed to wired( something I have had trouble with all along) . I did have to reset the TV to get all my OTA guide data to re-load--but other than than that--menu scrolling seems to be a bit snappier for me too.

LB
post #2175 of 2586 Old 03-26-2012, 03:23 PM
aya

Has anyone tried updating their TV with a firmware in a different language? I really want my HX820 to be able to display CJK characters.
post #2176 of 2586 Old 03-27-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pactel View Post

This is the story of my Sony 55HX820 and it's short life.

The saga continues...

Well - if you've been following along, the first power supply board (I learned this is called the G6 board) failed to repair my set which blinks its standby light twice pauses and repeats.

I was away all last week, so was unconcerned with the set repair. While away I received an email on Mar. 20th from Sony;

"Dear Valued Sony Customer

This message is to inform you we have placed a part(s) on backorder for your repair request.."

Great.. back ordered again. How long was this going to take? Not long apparently. Because on Mar. 22nd I received this email from Precision Television;

"Hello,

We are happy to inform you that we have received the parts necessary to repair your television."

A few phone calls later and I had an appointment for a tech to come and replace the board for today Mar. 27th.

The repairman arrives.. finally going to have a working set!

The second G6 power supply replacement board produced the same result as the first. Dead Sony. The repair tech had no idea - a call was made to Sony by him.

"I replaced the power supply board and the set is dead, no standby light, but when I put the old board back in the set displays the two blink error code"

"Did you replace the G6 and G7 boards."

"No - just the G6"

"They both have to be replaced at the same time"

Apparently the board above the main power supply board also provides power functionality, but who can say for sure.

The guy on the other end of the line, from Sony, decided that enough was enough and said they would call me in a few days to replace my set.

We'll see.. I don't think I want a refurbished set to replace my 3 month old broken set. At this point I am at a loss and wish I could just take it back to Fry's for a refund.

It's not over yet..
post #2177 of 2586 Old 03-27-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:

Well - if you've been following along, the first power supply board (I learned this is called the G6 board) failed to repair my set which blinks its standby light twice pauses and repeats.

It's not over yet..

Sorry to hear that man. I am thinking of purchasing this set, you guys think I should get the 5 year service coverage
?
post #2178 of 2586 Old 03-28-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars009 View Post

Sorry to hear that man. I am thinking of purchasing this set, you guys think I should get the 5 year service coverage
?

They have the 2012 version out in a week or so, its going for $2100.. I would go for the newer model but if your set with this one I wouldnt waste the extra money with it.. Too me, if you buy from a company that backs the products or a retailer that does, than those extra warranties just add too the cost. Sony might fight about fixing tvs, but I dont think they have ever denied anyone that I know of if its a defect.
post #2179 of 2586 Old 03-28-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:

I was away all last week, so was unconcerned with the set repair. While away I received an email on Mar. 20th from Sony;

This message is to inform you we have placed a part(s) on backorder for your repair request.."

Great.. back ordered again. How long was this going to take? Not long apparently. Because on Mar. 22nd I received this email from Precision Television;

"Hello,

We are happy to inform you that we have received the parts necessary to repair your television."

A few phone calls later and I had an appointment for a tech to come and replace the board for today Mar. 27th.

The second G6 power supply replacement board produced the same result as the first. Dead Sony. The repair tech had no idea - a call was made to Sony by him.

"I replaced the power supply board and the set is dead, no standby light, but when I put the old board back in the set displays the two blink error code"

"No - just the G6"

Apparently the board above the main power supply board also provides power functionality, but who can say for sure.

The guy on the other end of the line, from Sony, decided that enough was enough and said they would call me in a few days to replace my set.

We'll see.. I don't think I want a refurbished set to replace my 3 month old broken set. At this point I am at a loss and wish I could just take it back to Fry's for a refund.

It's not over yet..

Try what other people have replied, contact a higher level of rep support or SonyListens thru either facebook or other means.. It sounds like your getting the basic treatment which saves them money and time.. Through facebook is a great way, in ur case its a defect on the set, which makes them look bad in a public spotlight. Other people on here have done this, search through the forums and contact them if you need information, but I saw someone reply a couple pages back with some good information for your situation.
post #2180 of 2586 Old 03-28-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRd2BeAr View Post

Thanks for the detailed instructions drasher.

All the instructions i have found didn't make perfect sense to me but yours are much better.

I have heard that doing this eliminates the crease etc which i am in doubt about as i don't see how it could make any difference. I see some people setting it to 4 or lower but on my screen that is grey not white.

Not sure i will do it as last time i kept thinking it at ruined the picture even though your instructions show i hadn't even saved the settings.

I ended up however doing a reset as i wanted it back to default settings.

Thanks again.

Aaron

I had best luck @7 and higher, about it hurtin the picture is that you have to reset your settings and apply again. I have had the best luck with setting white point to 7(ive gone higher with, just bright content gets flooded) then going to white balance and correcting from there.. You will see, most of the annoying color problems can be fixed on the white balance option.. These sets have too much color, every setting I have done, I had to kill the color to about -5 in dark scenes to adjust, then bright scenes adjust to whatever type of programs you favorite in.. Those two alone have given me a ton of success, even clears up some of the NOISE which I have never seen so much too this set lol.. I do have a new HT power center coming, my other one is OLD.
post #2181 of 2586 Old 03-28-2012, 02:31 PM
aya

Quote:

It's not over yet..

If you have a Twitter account, tweet a complaint to @Sony and @SonyElectronics and everyone here can just help u by retweeting it.
post #2182 of 2586 Old 03-28-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:

Try what other people have replied, contact a higher level of rep support or SonyListens thru either facebook or other means.. It sounds like your getting the basic treatment which saves them money and time.. Through facebook is a great way, in ur case its a defect on the set, which makes them look bad in a public spotlight. Other people on here have done this, search through the forums and contact them if you need information, but I saw someone reply a couple pages back with some good information for your situation.

Yes.. I am not upset with Sony, yet. I am posting mainly to share my experience and to keep a record in case things go south.

I will be the first to escalate as soon as I feel my repair is being mishandled.
At this point I am slightly bemused. The first Sony rep I talked to made me feel like I was being too impatient when I asked for a replacement set. I find it ironic that a month later, that is what is likely to happen.

I received this email from Sony..

Extended Delay

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 10:01 PM
"SonyRepairCenter@am.sony.com"

Dear Valued Sony Customer

Sony records indicate that our Authorized Servicer has been unsuccessful in completing the repair of your product. We are sorry for the inconvenience this may cause you and appreciate your patience.
A customer service Rep will be contacting you shortly to discuss your repair options. If for any reason you do not hear from us, please call 1-800-222-7669 (SONY).

If I don't get a call from them by tomorrow afternoon., I will call and see what's up. Hopefully they plan to do right by me.
post #2183 of 2586 Old 03-28-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:

Yes.. I am not upset with Sony, yet. I am posting mainly to share my experience and to keep a record in case things go south.

I will be the first to escalate as soon as I feel my repair is being mishandled.
At this point I am slightly bemused. The first Sony rep I talked to made me feel like I was being too impatient when I asked for a replacement set. I find it ironic that a month later, that is what is likely to happen.

I received this email from Sony..

Extended Delay

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 10:01 PM
"SonyRepairCenter@am.sony.com"

Dear Valued Sony Customer

Sony records indicate that our Authorized Servicer has been unsuccessful in completing the repair of your product. We are sorry for the inconvenience this may cause you and appreciate your patience.
A customer service Rep will be contacting you shortly to discuss your repair options. If for any reason you do not hear from us, please call 1-800-222-7669 (SONY).

If I don't get a call from them by tomorrow afternoon., I will call and see what's up. Hopefully they plan to do right by me.

They get paid to do these things, its like customer service anywhere else... Things are much easier when you agree to what they say.. They can protect themselves by saying certain things are in specs for models but with your problem it sounds like a part defect which you have to get across to them.. Go to facebook to Sonylistens or scroll back and look for higher tier customer support... I guarantee they will do this again and again until you get someone who has authority to fix it without putting you on hold to ask a "higher up".

If I were you, I would be upset that instead of fixing a problem(which can be done very easy) they keep this up after a month.. I would go on Facebook with your story, constantly give out how long you are waiting, say that they keep making YOU wait for a tv that never worked.. SonyListens is known to try to hush hush people who have had problems like you are having... Remember your not dealing with a crease or other problems... 1 month is wayy to long in my eyes
post #2184 of 2586 Old 03-29-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:

They get paid to do these things, its like customer service anywhere else... Things are much easier when you agree to what they say.. T... 1 month is wayy to long in my eyes

Well, you may be right, I seem to be getting nowhere with the customer service reps. I received this email yesterday,

Dear Valued Sony Customer,

Sony records indicate that the repair of your product has been completed. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to service your product. Your unit has been repaired and tested to factory specification.

If the repair of your product was unsuccessful a Sony Representative will be contacting you to discuss suitable replacement options.

In the next few weeks you will be receiving a customer survey to help us evaluate the quality of this most recent repair experience. Your responses will remain confidential and will only use this information to improve the services it provides to its valued customers.

We look forward to receiving your feedback. Thank you in advance for your participation!

How confusing is that? The first paragraph claims my set was repaired and the next not.

I called Sony today - they claimed they had been trying to contact me. They said the number they had for me, although correct, rang to a number not in service recording. My phone has been fine, I don't believe it.

They asked me to fax a copy of my sales receipt so they could decide upon replacement "options." I don't know what that means or why they needed the receipt, the set has an 10/11 build date and is clearly still under warranty. I faxed the receipt to them.

I am tiring, but hanging in there. If I don't receive satisfaction when/if they call back it may be time to take some of the steps suggested in this forum.
post #2185 of 2586 Old 03-30-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:

I am tiring, but hanging in there. If I don't receive satisfaction when/if they call back it may be time to take some of the steps suggested in this forum.

Well.. I called Sony yesterday and was bumped to the tier 2 support rep.

They offered to replace my 3 month old broken set with a "re-certified" set.
I asked that it be replaced with a NEW set.

They said that they would only replace the set with a new set if it was less than 30 days old.

I tried to explain that if the set was less than 30 days old, I could return it to the retailer for exchange or a refund. Broken or no. I didn't need to call them to replace it.

I asked again for a NEW replacement set.

The rep kept parroting the "Sony Policy," so I asked for his supervisor.

He repeated the policy and was starting to get annoying.

I asked it there was someone over him, he said they have an escalation path.

I asked him to please follow the escalation path, because no matter how many times he repeated the Sony policy, I was not going to accept a refurbished set in place of my new set.

I was put on hold for 20 minutes.

He came back and said there was no one available and they would call back.

The next day ... today

I called Sony after not hearing from anyone and got another tier 2 rep.

I re-explained everything to her. I told them I did not want a refurbished set of unknown age and condition in place of my new set.

I tried to explain that I expected a television set to last for years. Accepting a reconditioned set, which may work for the balance of my warranty period, who knows how old the components are in the set and why it was sent in to be refurbished to begin with.

I related a story of my car battery, which failed after 1.5 yrs of its 2 year full warranty. I was given a brand new battery with full warranty. I said that I could see accepting a refurbished unit for an out-of warranty repair, but not for in-warranty. I was patient and the rep was trying to get someone from above.

Apparently, the tier 3 reps are hard to locate. I was told that they needed to review my case and would call back.

I said I didn't understand the need to negotiate. I asked why they just didn't replace the set with a new one and be done with it. I reiterated that I hadn't a working set for over 30 days.

The rep was corporately understanding and said I would receive a call within a day (today being Friday.. who knows.)
post #2186 of 2586 Old 03-30-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:

Well.. I called Sony yesterday and was bumped to the tier 2 support rep.

They offered to replace my 3 month old broken set with a "re-certified" set.
I asked that it be replaced with a NEW set.

They said that they would only replace the set with a new set if it was less than 30 days old.

I tried to explain that if the set was less than 30 days old, I could return it to the retailer for exchange or a refund. Broken or no. I didn't need to call them to replace it.

I asked again for a NEW replacement set.

The rep kept parroting the "Sony Policy," so I asked for his supervisor.

He repeated the policy and was starting to get annoying.

I asked it there was someone over him, he said they have an escalation path.

I asked him to please follow the escalation path, because no matter how many times he repeated the Sony policy, I was not going to accept a refurbished set in place of my new set.

I was put on hold for 20 minutes.

He came back and said there was no one available and they would call back.

The next day ... today

I called Sony after not hearing from anyone and got another tier 2 rep.

I re-explained everything to her. I told them I did not want a refurbished set of unknown age and condition in place of my new set.

I tried to explain that I expected a television set to last for years. Accepting a reconditioned set, which may work for the balance of my warranty period, who knows how old the components are in the set and why it was sent in to be refurbished to begin with.

I related a story of my car battery, which failed after 1.5 yrs of its 2 year full warranty. I was given a brand new battery with full warranty. I said that I could see accepting a refurbished unit for an out-of warranty repair, but not for in-warranty. I was patient and the rep was trying to get someone from above.

Apparently, the tier 3 reps are hard to locate. I was told that they needed to review my case and would call back.

I said I didn't understand the need to negotiate. I asked why they just didn't replace the set with a new one and be done with it. I reiterated that I hadn't a working set for over 30 days.

The rep was corporately understanding and said I would receive a call within a day (today being Friday.. who knows.)

Yea, they should treat you right.. Like I said, save emails and post on facebook with your situation on SonyListens.. They are a huge company who dont want one customer to bring bad publicity especially when they have contradicting emails. Say you want a new set, that it was within the 30 day window when you started this process and it had taken them over 1 month you get this far. You have been wronged, in the end you could call up where you bought it(hopefully Amazon) and they might set you up.

The lower people cant really do anything, that is why they put you on hold to "ask someone".. You want to talk with the person they ask.. You cant go backwards unless you agree to it. If they say they dont make those sets anymore, say you want what you paid for taken off of the hx850 and pay the rest.

Also, its not about negotiating... If you get paid to handle problems, you handle them as cheap as possible.. If the person is happy when they hang up or accept what they offer, they have done their job.. These people are usually not even involved with Sony so that is why it takes them sometime to get ahold of the real Sony reps.. Double them up and wait for a call and go through SonyListens on Facebook so people can read what has happened and comment on it themselves.... Dont lie, tell the truth and make sure to let them know you have been without your main tv for _____ days. Your time wasted with it should make up for atleast a new set.
post #2187 of 2586 Old 03-30-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:

If they say they dont make those sets anymore, say you want what you paid for taken off of the hx850 and pay the rest.

Wow -- you must be psychic or have done this before. That is what happened.

Sony did call me back this afternoon. To their credit they did try to find a new 55HX820 to replace mine, but apparently there are none to be found.

They asked me to look on the Sony site to find a set I would be happy with exchanging my set. I didn't have to look - I said I wanted the equivalent or better - what about an 55HX929? Off to talk to someone - that didn't fly - I would've been surprised if it had.

Bottom line - accept an even exchange on a refurb 55HX820 or pay $300 for a new 55HX850.
The 850HX is out? Available? Yep - in the warehouse, ready to ship.

Escalated to the next tier. Explained I would be happy with them fixing my set with new parts.
Was told the parts are back-ordered with no delivery date.

Tried to talk down the $300 + tax cost of an exchange for the 55HX850, I don't see the added value over the HX820.. I was happy with the HX820.. Not budging. Take the refurb or pay to "upgrade."

I relented. Not real happy about the $300+ charge, but happier having a new set than a used one.

I don't know if his end game was a jab. The rep told me he was sorry they couldn't do better on the price, but they'd "extend" the warranty on the new set by 3 mos., so I would have a full years warranty on it.

Huh? I guess the plan was to only warrant the new set for the remainder of my old set's warranty. That was pretty brutal.

I am pretty unconcerned. Sony would have to be the crappiest company on earth and my luck the worst to get two bad sets in a row.

We'll see..

Feel a bit robbed over the money.. but glad it is over.
post #2188 of 2586 Old 03-31-2012, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow -- you must be psychic or have done this before. That is what happened.

Sony did call me back this afternoon. To their credit they did try to find a new 55HX820 to replace mine, but apparently there are none to be found.

They asked me to look on the Sony site to find a set I would be happy with exchanging my set. I didn't have to look - I said I wanted the equivalent or better - what about an 55HX929? Off to talk to someone - that didn't fly - I would've been surprised if it had.

Bottom line - accept an even exchange on a refurb 55HX820 or pay $300 for a new 55HX850.

Escalated to the next tier. Explained I would be happy with them fixing my set with new parts.
Was told the parts are back-ordered with no delivery date.

Tried to talk down the $300 + tax cost of an exchange for the 55HX850, I don't see the added value over the HX820.. I was happy with the HX820.. Not budging. Take the refurb or pay to "upgrade."

I relented. Not real happy about the $300+ charge, but happier having a new set than a used one.

I don't know if his end game was a jab. The rep told me he was sorry they couldn't do better on the price, but they'd "extend" the warranty on the new set by 3 mos., so I would have a full years warranty on it.

Huh? I guess the plan was to only warrant the new set for the remainder of my old set's warranty. That was pretty brutal.

I am pretty unconcerned. Sony would have to be the crappiest company on earth and my luck the worst to get two bad sets in a row.

We'll see..

Feel a bit robbed over the money.. but glad it is over.

Pactel: Would be great to hear your thoughts comparing the two sets PQ once you get the HX850.

Sorry for your troubles but I can tell you that you are not alone ( I've owned several TVs over the years myself). LCD/LED and precursor TV technology has been problematic for years across all models ( plasma has had its issues too). Customer complaints similar to yours are all over the Internet /forums regardless of the manufacturer.

I don't know if its just my own experience but I don't think I ever experienced technical issues with my "big old" ( tank size) CRT TVs.

For me personally, I've been taken care of by both Sony and Samsung whenever I had significant issues with the TVs I purchased from either of these manufacturers. With each situation I've had to go through their "process" and follow their respective policies & procedures ( sometimes painful)--and in some cases like you had to pay more money to end up with a proper functioning TV.

I am not sure if everyone will agree with me but in my experience I would generally recommend the following to anyone consider purchasing a new TV:

1. Do some research on the various models you are considering--know what to expect before you buy ( avs like forums and consumer comments on Amazon.com are great for this kind of research)
2. Buy from a reputable retailer with a solid return/exchange policy( not from the manufacturer directly). Reputable retailers seem to have a better return/exchange policy to include immediate exchange options without having to go through the manufacturer's customer service escalation process.
3. Go over every square inch of your new TV with a fine-toothed comb the first week or two of purchase. Ignore what some people call a "burn in" period.
4. BUY the extended service plan--I've had problems with almost all my newer expensive TVs during and after the initial warranty period. TV repairs can be VERY expensive E.g., LCD panel replacement for my three year old 46" Samsung LCD was $1400 ( I didn't have to pay this)
5. Shop around for the best service plan. I know its painful to spend even more on a service plan after just forking over big bucks for the TV. You don't have to purchase the service plan from the same retailer you purchased the TV from( thats probably the most expensive plan). But if you do decide to purchase the plan from the retailer then negotiate the price, particularly if you are willing to purchase the plan at the same time you purchase the TV. In the past BB and the Sony Store offered me excellent service plan "deals" like 50% off or for free if I purchased the plan when I purchased the TV. If not, then shop around--even check with the manufacturer's website directly--in most cases you don't have to purchase a service plan right away.
6. If you do get stuck with some serious issues that can't be resolved through the retailer, warranty or service plan--then call the manufacturer--polite reasonable persistence has always worked for me. But be prepared to patiently go through the manufacturers process--which as you now know can be lengthy and arduous.

LB
post #2189 of 2586 Old 03-31-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:

"Hello,

"No - just the G6"

It's not over yet..

I wish I had replied sooner regarding your situation. I had a few questionable issues with my 55HX820 (search for my posts), and even though the clouding was an oversight on my part (not having LED Dynamic Control enabled on my PS3 input, and why Sony didn't set these options to standard from the factory, I have no idea), Sony offered to buy my TV back. I paid $1,755 for it, so I guess since they were selling it for $2,200 at the time, then it was a decent deal for them. Once I solved the issues through the feedback of others (thank you to all who replied), I decided to keep the set since I paid cash and didn't have another $2K to plop down while waiting up to six weeks for my refund to arrive.

Sony was really cool to offer me a buyback option. Because of their tremendous efforts to satisfy my needs and keep me as a customer, I will continue to stick with their televisions in the future.

But let me tell ya, it was a long and arduous process to get that buyback offer.
post #2190 of 2586 Old 03-31-2012, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Strange since I called the Sony store yesterday and they checked and was told the 4/2 availability date has been pushed back to 4/16 now!!!
Want my HX 850 badly

Quote:

"We each pay a fabulous price, for our visions of paradise. But a spirit with a vision, is a dream with a mission" - Rush
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia Kdl55hx820 55 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv With Built In Wi Fi Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page