AVS Forum banner

Official Sony HX820 Owner's Thread (46HX820, 55HX820)

472K views 3K replies 308 participants last post by  Al Sole 
#1 ·
Welcome to the Official Sony Bravia KDL-HX820 Owner's Thread (46HX820, 55HX820)

This is the place to share information, questions and settings about the Bravia KDL-xxHX820 series

I have had my 55HX820 for almost a month now and am very happy with it. Of course I upgraded from a 5 year old Westinghouse LVM-42W2 so the jump from that to a new Sony was bound to impress.

No one else had started a official thread on this model yet so I thought I would get things started.

See less See more
#1,806 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjodor2000 /forum/post/21525731

The 46HX820 I bought had flashlighting in the bottom corners too, so I decided to return it. I wonder how common it is?

Some people claim that their TV sets does not have any flashlighting, but then it turns out they only watch it in bright conditions where there is sunlight or lamps lighting up the room. But flashlighting is normally not visible then, unless it's very severe.

To truly claim that a TV set does not have flashlighting you must have watched it in a completely dark room, with a black image being shown except for a small bright object in the middle (so the dynamic LED backlight is not turned off). Optionally a movie in 2.35:1 aspect ratio format with black borders on top & bottom can be viewed in a completely dark room, to determine if it really doesn't have any flashlighting.

Is there anyone who has watched the HX820 under such conditions and determined that their TV set indeed did not have any flashlighting?

This is very true. For the first few days of owning the TV I was ecstatic, thinking I had a flawless panel. Then I watched a 3D movie and saw the flashlighting. Once I saw it, I became obsessed with it and of course could see it in various scenarios. I knew what to look for since I poured over AVS doing my research before buying. In the end, it really isn't a big deal and as with all electronics, the next time I buy the technology will be better but I'm sure some other flaw will exist....

#1,807 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjodor2000 /forum/post/0

The 46HX820 I bought had flashlighting in the bottom corners too, so I decided to return it. I wonder how common it is?

Some people claim that their TV sets does not have any flashlighting, but then it turns out they only watch it in bright conditions where there is sunlight or lamps lighting up the room. But flashlighting is normally not visible then, unless it's very severe.

To truly claim that a TV set does not have flashlighting you must have watched it in a completely dark room, with a black image being shown except for a small bright object in the middle (so the dynamic LED backlight is not turned off). Optionally a movie in 2.35:1 aspect ratio format with black borders on top & bottom can be viewed in a completely dark room, to determine if it really doesn't have any flashlighting.

Is there anyone who has watched the HX820 under such conditions and determined that their TV set indeed did not have any flashlighting?

Before I realized that I had my LED Dynamic Control set to off instead of standard on my PS3 input, I did have some clouding in the black bars while watching a Goodfellas DVD. So the first thing I thought of was to change the scene select to Cinema. Voila! The black bars became solid black. Tested at night of course.

#1,808 ·
Forgive me for being indecisive, but now that my clouding issue has been resolved thanks to enabling LED Dynamic Control on my PS3 input which I completely overlooked this whole time (only had it enabled on my cable box input), I'm reconsidering canceling the buy back that I accepted late last night from Sony, even though the presence sensor became quirky after a firmware update awhile back and the very rare occurrences of the TV restarting itself.

I've been driving myself (and probably the rest of you) completely nuts with this entire matter. I'm actually a million times happier now that I realize that I have a solid black display through the PS3 input.

"I feel like a horse's pitoot." - Chris Farley

#1,809 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCuse /forum/post/21526282

Forgive me for being indecisive, but now that my clouding issue has been resolved thanks to enabling LED Dynamic Control on my PS3 input which I completely overlooked this whole time (only had it enabled on my cable box input), I'm reconsidering canceling the buy back that I accepted late last night from Sony, even though the presence sensor became quirky after a firmware update awhile back and the very rare occurrences of the TV restarting itself.

I've been driving myself (and probably the rest of you) completely nuts with this entire matter. I'm actually a million times happier now that I realize that I have a solid black display through the PS3 input.

If you're happy with the screen's blackness, you may be taking a risk by not keeping it. To me the presence sensor issue is way minor compared to clouding and flash lighting. I say keep it and enjoy your blacks!

#1,810 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCuse /forum/post/21526282

LOL. Well these are expensive toys--so one tends to fret a bit more than usual over these issues IMO.

If you are now happy with the TV PQ/lack of flash-lighting due to discovering the LED Dynamic Control, there might be some other minor setting you don't have configured correctly on the presence sensor as well. Which by the way--if you have this set--and there is no movement in the room e.g., you fall asleep while watching TV or a very still for a period of time, then the TV will turn itself off.

#1,811 ·
What "strength" do you have the presence sensor set on? I'd have to go and look to see where this strength setting is but you'll find it if you browse the menu. If it's set on weak or whatever they call it then it seems like it perhaps doesn't work but if you increase its monitoring strength then you may find it works ok.

#1,812 ·
Hello,

I have owned this TV for about a month and have been looking for discrete Power codes ever since. Has anyone used a Power ON code (not toggle) and had success? I have tried the codes from the 2010 SONY models and it doesn't seem to work. If anyone has insight it would be really appreciated!

All the best,

Robert

#1,813 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRd2BeAr /forum/post/0

What settings are you using for both?

If you are using game scene mode for the PS3 then LED Dynamic Control (Local Dimming) is off as default, if you are using Standard Scene for the Cable box then it will be on.

Look for LED Dynamic Control in advanced options when using the PS3 input.

Aaron

I just want to say thanks again for reminding me about the LED dynamic control. I'm surprised that I overlooked this, and now I'm really happy with the TV. I knew something wasn't right when I noticed that the clouding was only displayed through the PS3 and not the cable box.

Anyways, thanks again!

#1,814 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCuse /forum/post/21525340

I wound up going with the buyback offer from Sony. Despite my 55Hx820 having a very good picture, I had a difficult time looking past the clouding, dealing with the rare random restarts, and the presence sensor failing to engage (it used to work). I figured that if these things were going wrong after three months, would the TV eventually break? A part of me still doesn't want to get rid of it, but after gathering numerous opinions, it was clear that I should take Sony's offer (even the service tech recommended that I take the money because he said that in 30 years of repairing tvs, he has hardly seen a manufacturer offer a full cash refund).

So I journeyed to Best Buy earlier today and checked out their Magnolia room and I must say that I'm quite impressed with Panasonic's Viera 3D plasmas...the picture AND price. The 55" is actually cheaper than what I bought my 55HX820 for.

That's why I just decided on today actually. The 55 inch GT30 is what I am going to get in place of the HX820. The picture on that TV is awesome even out of the box in THX mode. Sports look better in it as well.

#1,815 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc2k /forum/post/0

Hello,

I have owned this TV for about a month and have been looking for discrete Power codes ever since. Has anyone used a Power ON code (not toggle) and had success? I have tried the codes from the 2010 SONY models and it doesn't seem to work. If anyone has insight it would be really appreciated!

All the best,

Robert

You may want to check remotecentral.com

#1,816 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsol /forum/post/21525951

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjodor2000 /forum/post/21525731

This is very true. For the first few days of owning the TV I was ecstatic, thinking I had a flawless panel. Then I watched a 3D movie and saw the flashlighting. Once I saw it, I became obsessed with it and of course could see it in various scenarios. I knew what to look for since I poured over AVS doing my research before buying. In the end, it really isn't a big deal and as with all electronics, the next time I buy the technology will be better but I'm sure some other flaw will exist....

Yes, and so far I have not had a single response from anyone here who can actually confirm that their HX820 does not have flashlighting in the corners under the conditions I mentioned. That's really worrisome. I actually suspected that some HX820 sets should have this problem, but not all. Isn't there anyone here who has a HX820 without flashlighting in the corners, when viewing it under the conditions I mentioned?

#1,818 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCuse /forum/post/21527815

I just want to say thanks again for reminding me about the LED dynamic control. I'm surprised that I overlooked this, and now I'm really happy with the TV. I knew something wasn't right when I noticed that the clouding was only displayed through the PS3 and not the cable box.

Anyways, thanks again!

No worries mate, Glad it sorted out the clouding you were getting.

Aaron

#1,819 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjodor2000 /forum/post/0

Yes, and so far I have not had a single response from anyone here who can actually confirm that their HX820 does not have flashlighting in the corners under the conditions I mentioned. That's really worrisome. I actually suspected that some HX820 sets should have this problem, but not all. Isn't there anyone here who has a HX820 without flashlighting in the corners, when viewing it under the conditions I mentioned?

No flash lighting in those conditions on mine. No crease either.

Remember that the number of people on this forum represents less than 1% of the owners of this set. I wouldn't use the posts here as an overall perception of the quality of these sets.

#1,820 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtappan /forum/post/0

No flash lighting in those conditions on mine. No crease either.

Remember that the number of people on this forum represents less than 1% of the owners of this set. I wouldn't use the posts here as an overall perception of the quality of these sets.

No flash lighting on mine either. I've posted pics on this forum with nice deep black borders top and bottom several pages back.

#1,822 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjodor2000 /forum/post/21525723

Even if you're in a completely dark room, and show some content where the screen is totally black apart from a small white object on the middle (e.g. bring up a TV menu)? Or when you watch movies in 2.35:1 aspect ratio where there are black borders on the top & bottom of the image?

Tried EVERYTHING to demonstrate a problem, but to NO avail. Guess you might be disappointed, but I really Love the 820 series. Wish you the Best!

#1,823 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjodor2000 /forum/post/21529831

I read this thread because i have the HX729, identical except for no Gorilla Glass but the same specs and I don't have any flashlighting. I have watched in a totally dark room while viewing wide aspect ratio movies or credit rolls.

#1,824 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by james4523 /forum/post/21528432

That's why I just decided on today actually. The 55 inch GT30 is what I am going to get in place of the HX820. The picture on that TV is awesome even out of the box in THX mode. Sports look better in it as well.

Even though Panasonic makes nice plasmas, the issues with my Sony TV have been resolved.

#1,826 ·
i say picture is more appropriate to post in a tv related tread where we are comparing picture qualities and issues we are having with the tv..

here r mine....running avatar in a completely dark room...a bit of a few issues with the pictures...i was having a hard time to match the way i see the video with the way the camera captures it. my camera was applying a bluish color to everything on screen...finally i just gave up and took these pics. due to shutter speed and my unsteady hand some of the objects came up blurry..

#1,827 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ2 /forum/post/0

LOL. Well these are expensive toys--so one tends to fret a bit more than usual over these issues IMO.

If you are now happy with the TV PQ/lack of flash-lighting due to discovering the LED Dynamic Control, there might be some other minor setting you don't have configured correctly on the presence sensor as well. Which by the way--if you have this set--and there is no movement in the room e.g., you fall asleep while watching TV or a very still for a period of time, then the TV will turn itself off.

Even though I overlooked the LED DC setting, there's only 3 options for the presence sensor. I've tried all of them. It used to work on any setting, and now it only seems to engage in the settings menu, but once I leave the menu after it recognizes my face, I leave the room and the screen never blacks out (set to "strong"). It's really strange but I'm over it. I have an EXCELLENT display panel without any dead pixels nor any clouding/flashlighting I just have a minor crease that I don't even notice anymore. As far as the presence sensor settings go, believe me, this time, I've tried everything.

#1,829 ·
@isrararrafi, jb442386, jtappan:

Thanks for your feedback! Your answers have convinced me that not all HX820 have flashlighting in the bottom corners. Perhaps I just got unlucky with the one I bought. Since I really liked it apart from that, I think I'll consider buying another unit and hope it doesn't have the same problem as the previous one I got.

#1,830 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by isrararrafi /forum/post/21534062

i say picture is more appropriate to post in a tv related tread where we are comparing picture qualities and issues we are having with the tv..

here r mine....running avatar in a completely dark room...a bit of a few issues with the pictures...i was having a hard time to match the way i see the video with the way the camera captures it. my camera was applying a bluish color to everything on screen...finally i just gave up and took these pics. due to shutter speed and my unsteady hand some of the objects came up blurry..

That's a nice picture. What settings are you using?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.