AVS Forum banner

Official Sony HX820 Owner's Thread (46HX820, 55HX820)

472K views 3K replies 308 participants last post by  Al Sole 
#1 ·
Welcome to the Official Sony Bravia KDL-HX820 Owner's Thread (46HX820, 55HX820)

This is the place to share information, questions and settings about the Bravia KDL-xxHX820 series

I have had my 55HX820 for almost a month now and am very happy with it. Of course I upgraded from a 5 year old Westinghouse LVM-42W2 so the jump from that to a new Sony was bound to impress.

No one else had started a official thread on this model yet so I thought I would get things started.

See less See more
#1,859 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by namiam /forum/post/21554117

In addition to my XBR8, I just got 2 of the 46" HX820s. $1000 each. I love them.

Where did you find the 46" HX820 for $1,000? That's a great deal as the cheapest I've seen it is for ~$1350.

Two questions about the HX820 in general:

1. How does this set stack up in terms of gaming performance, i.e. input lag ect?

2. Being a edge lit LED TV with local dimming, how does its black level and contrast ratio compare with that of a full-array LED backlit TV? Is it somewhat close in performance?

Thanks in advance!

#1,861 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletzBill /forum/post/21555887

Where did you find the 46" HX820 for $1,000? That's a great deal as the cheapest I've seen it is for ~$1350.

Two questions about the HX820 in general:

1. How does this set stack up in terms of gaming performance, i.e. input lag ect?

2. Being a edge lit LED TV with local dimming, how does its black level and contrast ratio compare with that of a full-array LED backlit TV? Is it somewhat close in performance?

Thanks in advance!

Frys, in stores sale (not on website)

It ended 1/26.

#1,862 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by getchevyn /forum/post/21541286

I tried jamstuff's setting. Didn't have that perfect result I am looking for. Looking forward to your post.

here is mine....the parts in bold r the parts i am still playing with or u should change for morning time viewing)..everything else i like the way they are. My settings might seem a bit too dark for daytime but thats because i dont watch tv at day. so i always keep it to my night time settings. For daytime u might wanna crank up the backlight or something...

Eco: all settings to off

position control: off

ambient sensor: off

Screen settings:

wide mode : full

auto wide: on

4:3 default : off

display area: full pixel (it was set to some other option by default which caused it to loose some picture on all four sides. setting it to full pixel solved it for me)

Pro picture setup:

SBM: On

setting memory: Custom

Scene : General

picture mode: custom (use one of the other settings for morning view with some of the things changed below)

backlight: 4 (increase it for morning)

picture: 84

brightness: 53

Color: 54

Hue: 0

Color temp warm: 1

Sharpness: 50

Noise/mpeg noise/dot noise: off
reality creation manual

resolution:12

noise filtering: 12

Smooth gradation: off

motion flow: standard

cine motion: auto 1

Advance Settings:
Black Corrector: High (probably change this settings too during daytime)

adv contrast enhancer: off

gamma: -1 (set it to 0 for morning)

led dynamic control : standard

auto light emitter: off

clear white: low

live color: off

detail enhancer: off

edge enhancer: off
white balance: (i will change these settings once i do a much more in-depth calibration)

R-gain: -5

G-gain: -1

B-gain: -6

R-bias: 0

G-bias: 0

B-bias: 0

#1,863 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by isrararrafi /forum/post/21559234

here is mine....the parts in bold r the parts i am still playing with or u should change for morning time viewing)..everything else i like the way they are. My settings might seem a bit too dark for daytime but thats because i dont watch tv at day. so i always keep it to my night time settings. For daytime u might wanna crank up the backlight or something...

Eco: all settings to off

position control: off

ambient sensor: off

Screen settings:

wide mode : full

auto wide: on

4:3 default : off

display area: full pixel (it was set to some other option by default which caused it to loose some picture on all four sides. setting it to full pixel solved it for me)

Pro picture setup:

SBM: On

setting memory: Custom

Scene : General

picture mode: custom (use one of the other settings for morning view with some of the things changed below)

backlight: 4 (increase it for morning)

picture: 84

brightness: 53

Color: 54

Hue: 0

Color temp warm: 1

Sharpness: 50

Noise/mpeg noise/dot noise: off
reality creation manual

resolution:12

noise filtering: 12

Smooth gradation: off

motion flow: standard

cine motion: auto 1

Advance Settings:
Black Corrector: High (probably change this settings too during daytime)

adv contrast enhancer: off

gamma: -1 (set it to 0 for morning)

led dynamic control : standard

auto light emitter: off

clear white: low

detail enhancer: off

edge enhancer: off
white balance: (i will change these settings once i do a much more in-depth calibration)

R-gain: -5

G-gain: -1

B-gain: -6

R-bias: 0

G-bias: 0

B-bias: 0

What about Live Color and have you messed with the white point in the factory menu?

#1,864 ·
^^ my bad. live color is off too. edited..

problem with the settings is for many of them i am not sure what exactly is getting changed so i keep them to off. u need to have a certain picture displaying on ur tv to actually see the effect some of those settings might be having. problem is no one really knows what those r.

about jamtuff's white point settings, i didnt try that with my current settings. i tried the jamtuff's settings as a whole and it didnt look well to my eyes with my tv, so decided to trust my own eyes with the help of a simple calibration software. i factory rest the tv and started fresh

#1,867 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by isrararrafi /forum/post/21560082

problem with the settings is for many of them i am not sure what exactly is getting changed so i keep them to off. u need to have a certain picture displaying on ur tv to actually see the effect some of those settings might be having. problem is no one really knows what those r.

about jamtuff's white point settings, i didnt try that with my current settings. i tried the jamtuff's settings as a whole and it didnt look well to my eyes with my tv, so decided to trust my own eyes with the help of a simple calibration software. i factory rest the tv and started fresh

You could always use cinema mode and change between cinema 1 and 2 (unless its different from the Europe model?)

Here is a quote from a professional review of the HX823 (names for features may be very slightly different but the facts hold true.)

Quote:
The Picture menu houses all the usual Picture Mode, Backlight, Contrast, Brightness and Colour settings that comprise the first page of picture options. As we've seen with other 2011 TVs from Sony, they've added an extra Cinema picture preset so we can now, thankfully, calibrate a day and night time mode from the most accurate starting point; and given the calibration controls on offer, it's a welcome addition. Below the standard 'front panel' controls, there are settings for Hue, Temperature, Sharpness, Noise Reduction, MPEG Noise Reduction and Dot Noise Reduction. We never found any cause to engage any of the noise reduction options, the colour temperature of Warm 2 proved most accurate and a sharpness setting of 20 was appropriate for HD sources. Options we didn't see on the various 723's we've covered, included the Reality Creation' sliders for Resolution and Noise Filtering plus the Smooth Gradation choices of OFF/LOW/MED/HIGH. We certainly never found a good application for the Resolution slider, that added ever increasing amounts of edge enhancement to images; whilst the Noise Filtering proved fairly ineffectual in doing anything other than removing high frequency noise' from pictures and about the only use for HD material would be in removing intentionally added film grain. We guess some aren't keen on that particular artistic feature so, perhaps, they might use it. Using a greyscale stair step pattern we checked the effects of the Gradation options and, at least on paper, it lived up to the billing making transitions from one shade to another very smooth indeed. Unfortunately any practical use for it was negated by the creation of picture noise in the blacks so its promise wasn't really fulfilled. Further down we have our options for Motionflow and Film Mode, both of which we'll cover in more detail later in the review.

The Advanced Settings area of the Picture Menu houses the controls required for calibration of the KDL-HX823. We have controls over White Balance and Gamma. Virtually every other option we found was either detrimental to picture quality or redundant, save for the LED Dynamic Control that was fairly tame in lowering black levels but harsh on shadow detail set anything above Low. We'd advise leaving Black Corrector(misnomer), Adv. Contrast Enhancer, Auto Light Limiter, Clear White, Live Colour, Detail Enhancer, Edge Enhancer and, the terribly named, Skin Naturaliser set to their 'Off' position.

#1,868 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRd2BeAr /forum/post/21560744

You could always use cinema mode and change between cinema 1 and 2 (unless its different from the Europe model?)

Here is a quote from a professional review of the HX823 (names for features may be very slightly different but the facts hold true.)

well, i heard cinema mode provides a deeper black, but i never liked the yellowish tone it provides to the whole picture. so i do every calibration in general mode. If you prefer the cinema mode more use it. I have seen a perfectly calibrated tv by a professional and i did not like how it looks..lol. everyone's eyes and taste r different.

having said that i have not had enough time to go through the tv settings more thoroughly.

#1,869 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by isrararrafi /forum/post/21560082

When you did the factory reset to reset white point to default,was the reset acomplished via the service menu or by just hitting power and the up arrow.

If it was done via the service menu can you post how that is accomplished.

Thanks

#1,871 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by isrararrafi /forum/post/21561916

well, i heard cinema mode provides a deeper black, but i never liked the yellowish tone it provides to the whole picture. so i do every calibration in general mode. If you prefer the cinema mode more use it. I have seen a perfectly calibrated tv by a professional and i did not like how it looks..lol. everyone's eyes and taste r different.

having said that i have not had enough time to go through the tv settings more thoroughly.

I simply meant apply your settings but with cinema you can easily set one mode up brighter than the other and change between the two. You don't have to use warm color tone etc.

#1,872 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by isrararrafi /forum/post/21560473

no problem. i also wondered the same why sony set this one as the default which doesn't show the whole picture. it was the calibration software which told me i was losing close to 2.5% of the picture, which actually is a lot

I am just wondering if losing 2.5% of the actual 1080p picture would cause some of the problems people are reporting. If the tv is always try to resize the correct picture all the time, won't that cause problems? I notice letters on the directv guide being sharper and less jadgged just by setting it to full pixel. Funny how Sony say the default setting is "normal" when it's not actually normal.

#1,874 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommybuns /forum/post/21563393

I asked earlier, but I didn't get an answer; can anyone recommend me a wall mount for the 46"? I hate how the default stand leans to one side and would rather not use it. I'm new to this stuff so any help would be appreciated.

I hated that lean too. Thought about getting a wall mount myself and didn't like the fact cable management is going to be a pain for such a slim tv. Remember, you're going to be cutting holes in the wall for cable management.

I got a Whalen 3 in 1 tv stand that is actually a floating mount on a stand, wall mount plus stand, or just a tv stand. I like the fact you can set it up in any of the 3 configurations and can be change in the future if you don't like it. They sell them at Walmarts for $99(XLGT-4 model). They are selling a newer model that cost $119 but I didn't like the newer style because it only have 2 shelves instead of 3, also it's got too much wood(hidden shelf) for my taste. You still can get the older model(XLGT-4) for a cheaper price. Just make sure to look for it.

Link to Whalen 3 in 1 (XLGT-4 Model)

http://www.whalenstyle.com/category/...onsoles/000142

I gone with the floater style and beside the cable management benefit, you can also swing the tv left or right just like the Sony stand.

Picture of my setup(looks like a wall mount but it's not).

#1,875 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by getchevyn /forum/post/21563554

I hated that lean too. Thought about getting a wall mount myself and didn't like the fact cable management is going to be a pain for such a slim tv. Remember, you're going to be cutting holes in the wall for cable management.

I got a Whalen 3 in 1 tv stand that is actually a floating mount on a stand, wall mount plus stand, or just a tv stand. I like the fact you can set it up in any of the 3 configurations and can be change in the future if you don't like it. They sell them at Walmarts for $99(XLGT-4 model). They are selling a newer model that cost $119 but I didn't like the newer style because it only have 2 shelves instead of 3, also it's got too much wood(hidden shelf) for my taste. You still can get the older model(XLGT-4) for a cheaper price. Just make sure to look for it.

Link to Whalen 3 in 1 (XLGT-4 Model)

http://www.whalenstyle.com/category/...onsoles/000142

I gone with the floater style and beside the cable management benefit, you can swing the tv just like the Sony stand.

Picture of my setup(looks like a wall mount but it's not).

I had my tv on a stand with a bracket but now have it wall mounted, cable management solution, trunking for underneath the tv looks awesome and very little effort on my part.

#1,877 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by getchevyn /forum/post/0

Thanks isrararrafi.

I thought there was something missing until I use your "display area: full pixel" setting and the picture looks better now. Why do Sony mess around with the full 1080p experience?

Have you or anyone else noticed that the "full pixel" option no longer exists in display area? Must have been a change they made during one of the software updates. Now I set it to normal.

#1,878 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCuse /forum/post/21568198

Have you or anyone else noticed that the "full pixel" option no longer exists in display area? Must have been a change they made during one of the software updates. Now I set it to normal.

As far as I am aware, it's only applicable for a 1080i or 1080p signal, at least in the Australia model. I currently have firmware PKG3.904GAA-0104

#1,880 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRd2BeAr /forum/post/21569413

Not sure if any of you guys are interested in this review of the 55HX823 from Avforums?

Its a good informative read.

http://www.avforums.com/review/Sony-...TV-Review.html

Cheers,

Aaron

Aaron: Thank you. Like I've said before not many professional reviews were posted on this TV for some reason--so this article is indeed one of the most detailed reviews I have seen on the HX823/HX820.

I particularly liked this quote

"At the end of the day, buying an edge-lit LCD can be a bit of a lottery when it comes to getting one with excellent uniformity but at least the odds are better than 14 million:1; that said the ticket costs considerably more than a pound so we’d advise a thorough demo before taking a punt. If your ticket comes up, consider yourself the owner of one the better televisions out there but if your luck is out, you’ve probably spent unnecessarily when competing TVs do the same for less."

I think we see evidence of the above from owner's postings in this forum. Some like me ended up with excellent panels and I have very happy with this TV--others unfortunately did not.

The other thing I noticed in this article is the reviewer reviewed side by side (SBS) 3D as opposed to "Simulated" or "Over-Under" reporting significant 3D crosstalk. Very few of the 3D sources I watch are SBS or Over-Under, I generally watch "simulated 3D" from Satellite 3D programing and 3D Bluray disk and I have to say that the simulated 3D ( not to be confused with the TVs ability to convert or simulate 2D to 3D) is very nice--rarely do I see cross talk--and then I have to really search for it. The only SBS 3D I have viewed is from YouTube which is pretty bad--but I think that's due to the very low bandwidth YouTube assigns to each view. I don't think 3D blurays which are spectacular on my panel are either SBS or Over-Under 3D so I wonder which 3D source the reviewer in this article used in their review--hopefully not YouTube SBS 3D. Or maybe this panel does or did have issues processing SBS or side-by-side 3D at the time of the review.

Anyone on the forum specifically viewing side-by-side 3D content from your cable service have any comments on the quality of your SBS 3D PQ ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.