Official Sony HX820 Owner's Thread (46HX820, 55HX820) - Page 77 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2281 of 2584 Old 04-19-2012, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I would of been happy with an hx820 replacement, but i can only hope the hx850 isnt WORSE, the deep deep blacks was one of the main reason i loved this set. Ill post more on monday when it gets here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2282 of 2584 Old 04-19-2012, 02:02 PM

Liked: 10
The composite/component dongle from my 55HX820 got left behind during the exchange. I remember reading here that someone broke theirs while unplugging a component.

If anyone has a need for one, PM me and I'll mail it to you. US only please.
post #2283 of 2584 Old 04-19-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsony1 View Post

OMG, illuminated sony logo GONE? Why would they ever do that? That was soo beautiful!!

So the only model left with illuminated logo is the XBR 920/929????

BUMMER!

The logo on my hx820 illuminates, i believe there is a setting for it in preferences.
post #2284 of 2584 Old 04-19-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:

I am sorry I couldnt read all of the topic, but I was wondering if anyone here also have problems while cleaning this beauty's screen?

My screen is full of marks (well not marks, it looks like soft stains) after I clean it out with a microfiber and a philips special liquid to clean lcds.

How can I take out those stains?

And, have guys seen any scratch, even minimum, on your set gorilla glasses' after cleaning it out??

Cause I have noticed some tiny after cleaning mine for the first time. They are very thin, tiny and only show up if you really look for it.

How come this happened? Shouldn't Gorilla Glass be resistant??? Gezz

The problem here is that sony cuts cost by putting the dark coating infront of the gorila glass isntead of in between the glass.
Now for HX850 owners. I belive the set could go darker but with jamtuff settings specific to this tv. Dont return your HX850's s just yet this tv is set with a much highrer brightness and sharpness compared to the HX820.
post #2285 of 2584 Old 04-20-2012, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregck View Post

The logo on my hx820 illuminates, i believe there is a setting for it in preferences.

Yes, there is, For the NX HX and XBR 2011, all illuminate.

The problem is about the HX 850 2012, which doesn't.

WE are left with only the HX920 model with illuminated Sony logo

while Samsung has spread this item into some tvs, I just saw the C 800 yesterday with this feature and it looked beautiful! Can't understand why would Sony cut this from the model.

Cheap.
post #2286 of 2584 Old 04-20-2012, 06:34 AM

Quote:

Yes, there is, For the NX HX and XBR 2011, all illuminate.

The problem is about the HX 850 2012, which doesn't.

WE are left with only the HX920 model with illuminated Sony logo

while Samsung has spread this item into some tvs, I just saw the C 800 yesterday with this feature and it looked beautiful! Can't understand why would Sony cut this from the model.

Cheap.

Yeah, from what i've heard, sony has cut A LOT of corners on the hx850. Some sort of coating on the glass instead of in between, no illuminated logo and no improvements to the interface. Kind of baffles me, do they even WANT to compete in the tv universe anymore? Seems to me like they just want to let this part of their company fade out.
post #2287 of 2584 Old 04-20-2012, 08:45 AM

well this is depressing me, I had three hx923 last year but had to send them all back due to the crease, dse and banding, I was holding out for the 853 this year however talk of worse blacks and cost cutting compared to 823 is not a great start :-(
post #2288 of 2584 Old 04-20-2012, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy20v View Post

well this is depressing me, I had three hx923 last year but had to send them all back due to the crease, dse and banding, I was holding out for the 853 this year however talk of worse blacks and cost cutting compared to 823 is not a great start :-(

Maybe a good idea to wait for some professional reviews after the new TV has been calibrated and thoroughly tested Unfortunately not sure when one of the third parties might review the new 850/853.

I personally don't expect to see major PQ improvement from 2011 models but am anxious to hear how the professionals rate this years model.

LB
post #2289 of 2584 Old 04-20-2012, 12:19 PM

Yep looks like I will be waiting for the reviews, I was originally going to put a preorder in, 19 days in the uk before I can do that however that's unlikely now. not after great improvements in picture to be honest, I just want no crease, no dse and no banding :-)
post #2290 of 2584 Old 04-21-2012, 08:29 AM

Just picked up this TV and so far its pretty fantastic, but I'm having serious problems connecting to my wireless network. The TV recognizes my router and I input the WPA password, but every time the Connection Fails. I turned my NAT to open to try to resolve the issue, same results. I've tried using WPS and it still doesn't work. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
post #2291 of 2584 Old 04-21-2012, 10:32 AM

Im more about vibrant and real colors... more lifelike than dark blacks.. I think Sony didnt want to try to compete with plasma sets which have the market on deep blacks. I would rather have a picture that was as close to real world than with artificial blacks.
post #2292 of 2584 Old 04-21-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:

Yeah, from what i've heard, sony has cut A LOT of corners on the hx850. Some sort of coating on the glass instead of in between, no illuminated logo and no improvements to the interface. Kind of baffles me, do they even WANT to compete in the tv universe anymore? Seems to me like they just want to let this part of their company fade out.

I dont think that is correct.. I think Jamtuff said it was on the hx820 that had the outside coating whereas the hx850 has it builtin(not %100 sure but remember reading about it).. With the illuminated logo, I bought a $200 32 inch Hanspree for my grandmothers sewing room that had a illuminated logo.. I havent seen any pics of the menus but I would think they would take complaints in mind to clean it up. Trust me bro, the hx850 right now is one of the nicest tvs out there..
post #2293 of 2584 Old 04-21-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drasher_ View Post

I dont think that is correct.. I think Jamtuff said it was on the hx820 that had the outside coating whereas the hx850 has it builtin(not %100 sure but remember reading about it).. With the illuminated logo, I bought a $200 32 inch Hanspree for my grandmothers sewing room that had a illuminated logo.. I havent seen any pics of the menus but I would think they would take complaints in mind to clean it up. Trust me bro, the hx850 right now is one of the nicest tvs out there..

well. this is 2012 and they've cut it a lot. Now we gonna have a 40% cut in the tv line for 2013 LOL

What will be left?

two level entry models in the EX line

one with 3d and internet stuff

and one with nothing

one model in the HX
with all, and no XBR no more.
post #2294 of 2584 Old 04-21-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pactel View Post

On Friday, the shipping company gave me a Monday delivery time of between 1pm and 5pm. I waited.. and waited.. Nothing. 5pm came and went.

I had resigned myself to the delivery not happening, then at 5:30pm, the driver called and said they'd be there at 6pm. They were on their way.

Two guys arrived toting a new, boxed 55HX85, that's what the outside of the box says. I showed them into the room with the old set. They looked quizzically at it and then asked "Where would you like the new set?"

"There, to replace the old set, it's being exchanged." "Oh, this is an exchange?" He shuffled through some paperwork, "Yep, it's an exchange."

They set up the set on its stand, oddly there was no printed instruction included in the box, nor batteries for the remote. I don't know if these were missing or just don't come with the unit any longer. The remote is a bit smaller, gone is the cool "matrix style" pull out battery cover. It's just a standard backside cover now. It's nice, but I use a Harmony One anyway, which interestingly already had a device profile for the 55HX850.

The stand is metal with a glossy plastic covering. It is much sturdier that the 55HX820's flat metal stand, but slightly less attractive in my eyes. The stand rotates, but does not tilt at all.

The 55HX850 has a thin brushed aluminum edge, all around that detracts from the monolithic design, again in my eyes. But matches pretty well with the iphone (more on that in a bit) and my sliver and black Harmony One remote. The lighted Sony logo is gone. Just a plain silver logo.

The set appears physically smaller than the 55HX820 and appears to have a smaller border around the screen, but that may be an illusion. Maybe someone could verify. The 55HX850 measures 50" x 30" and the border is 1 ¼" wide. The gorilla glass also appears thinner, but this could just be because of the aluminum trim.

Got everything hooked back up, after the delivery guys left. They offered to do the hookups for me, but were a bit ham-fisted, and I prefer doing it myself. Missing on the 55HX850 is the dongle for component and composite video. The jacks are right in the back of the set, like normal TVs. Same number of in/outputs as the 55HX820; 4 HDMI, 1 Component, 1 Composite, Ethernet, PC (with audio), 2x USB, Optical audio and Coax. There is one other I don't remember from the 55HX820, labeled "Speaker Integrated Stand."

Got the set connected to the internet; checked for, downloaded and installed a firmware update.

Watched a couple hours.. so this will be my first impression of the video quality with factory settings, as compared to my memory of the 55HX820.

The picture is beautiful out of the box, looks just like the 55HX820. The flesh tones seem a bit more natural. The 55HX820 was a bit reddish. Other than that pretty much looked the same. The viewing angle is much better on the 55HX850. The picture doesn't have white-wash when viewing from extreme angles on the side, like the 55HX820. I watch motorcycle racing, and I watched a recorded MotoGP race last night. The action seemed a little smoother on the new set. I tested the 3D for a couple of minutes, it seemed about the same, maybe a bit brighter.

Overall, the picture quality was good and comparable to the 55HX820, maybe slight improvements, but other than the viewing angle, nothing spectacular.

I noticed the absence of the proximity sensor (the feature on the HX820 that turns the set off if a child is too close to the set) and its corresponding camera. The vacation power switch on the side is gone and the side buttons seem a bit "cheaper."

New features I noticed right away include "TrackID" which attempts to identify a song playing on the TV using Gracenote. I played with it a few times, it identified dialog as two songs and failed on music in my quick test. I'll never use it again.

The second is an app that can be downloaded to your iPhone/Android that turns your phone into a full featured remote control. It's a bit laggy -- but guess it'd be handy in a pinch. Probably never use it again.

There it is .. there is probably loads more I have missed, as I said, I have only used the set for a few hours.

Was it worth the $300 I was charged over the 55HX820, nope.
Some things I like better than the 55HX820, some not.

Are there ripples in the glass along the top edge when looking at it from the top side at an angle like the HX820? You can really notice it when the light hits it. Its looks like a bad glue job the futher u look down the top edge that it isn't flush. It has quite a few gaps between the glass and the bezel.

I really like the thicker glass that is on my NX810. I wish they would not have stopped using this kind of glass as it was very uniform and still my favorite of my two tvs....

Hope that makes sense. I'm wondering if the HX850 suffers from this as well. Please let me know

Also to answer your question. The border on my NX810 and HX820 are both 1 1/4in.
post #2295 of 2584 Old 04-21-2012, 03:04 PM

just got my HX850 today and can say without a doubt it is one marvelous TV.

They took out the motion sensor and the illuminated logo, but i believe the stand is much better and the silver border around the set is good too. Blacks seem very similar to the HX820 right out of the box. My new set has another dead pixel, which is not a big problem, as long as more don't die (like my hx820).

They cut down on the remote too, which really sucks because i loved the HX820 remote. The back on/off button and LIGHT button are both gone. It also shrinked dramatically. It also has a battery compartment that screams "you gonna lose yo' batteries".
post #2296 of 2584 Old 04-23-2012, 05:26 AM

Liked: 11
Did someone compare watching 3D on HX850 with HX820 ? Is much more better on 850 or almost same ?

Sony 46HX850 | Sony 46Z4500 | Onkyo 905, Monitor Audio RX8 + RX LCR | Logitech Z-680 | HTPC: (Core i5 4570S, Asus H87M-PRO, 4GB, Intel X25-M 80GB SSD, WD20EARS, Pionner BDC-202, Antec Fusion Remote Black)
post #2297 of 2584 Old 04-23-2012, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

well. this is 2012 and they've cut it a lot. Now we gonna have a 40% cut in the tv line for 2013 LOL

What will be left?

two level entry models in the EX line

one with 3d and internet stuff

and one with nothing

one model in the HX
with all, and no XBR no more.

What more can sony or any tv co squeeze out of lcd tech? Every big co have had to endure losses as 2011 going into 2012 was the worst years for tv sales,so sony in the current state had to halve BRAVIA production to 20,000,000 sets.Theres no point in flooding an already flooded market,hence half-price hx820/nx720 sets.

2013 will be the defining year for sony at least with the decision to go ahead or not, with crystal LED & OLED...the former could be a replacement XBR with OLED occupying the other high-end section...maybe,who knows? Either this or god only knows what will happen to sonys tv marketing dept. But the flip side is,they have too much media products that connect directly to BRAVIA tv's,so imo they will announce something new for next year while thet try evaluate the best way to take the tv section forward.

Im a big fan of sony & have been for 25yrs & up until a couple of weeks ago thought their tv section was in real trouble (which it is) with no way out. But when we stand back & have a realistic look at things today: sony must wether the storm to stay afloat like 1000s of other co's today.Which is why they have had to cut a lot of jobs in different depts.,unfortunately. But hopefully there will be light at the end of the tunnel as it would be a very sad day for the A/V industry if they shut down a 40-50 yr old tv dept.

"Do your best & don't worry" 

post #2298 of 2584 Old 04-23-2012, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPL View Post

Did someone compare watching 3D on HX850 with HX820 ? Is much more better on 850 or almost same ?

There was a conference with 2 aged sony hotshots comparing the 2 tv's,side by side (ahem). The hx850 looked sharper but nobody knew the exact settings the were using on either tv...the piece is on a few sites incl. sony & other uk av forums.

post #2299 of 2584 Old 04-23-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maladjusted View Post

What more can sony or any tv co squeeze out of lcd tech? Every big co have had to endure losses as 2011 going into 2012 was the worst years for tv sales,so sony in the current state had to halve BRAVIA production to 20,000,000 sets.Theres no point in flooding an already flooded market,hence half-price hx820/nx720 sets.

2013 will be the defining year for sony at least with the decision to go ahead or not, with crystal LED & OLED...the former could be a replacement XBR with OLED occupying the other high-end section...maybe,who knows? Either this or god only knows what will happen to sonys tv marketing dept. But the flip side is,they have too much media products that connect directly to BRAVIA tv's,so imo they will announce something new for next year while thet try evaluate the best way to take the tv section forward.

Im a big fan of sony & have been for 25yrs & up until a couple of weeks ago thought their tv section was in real trouble (which it is) with no way out. But when we stand back & have a realistic look at things today: sony must wether the storm to stay afloat like 1000s of other co's today.Which is why they have had to cut a lot of jobs in different depts.,unfortunately. But hopefully there will be light at the end of the tunnel as it would be a very sad day for the A/V industry if they shut down a 40-50 yr old tv dept.

People just want to buy a decent tv that you do not have to keep exchanging.
post #2300 of 2584 Old 04-23-2012, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight View Post

People just want to buy a decent tv that you do not have to keep exchanging.

oh definitely,goes without saying but the technology seems to be prone to faults since the arrival of lcd & now lcd led backlit tvs. Q-C should be high on sonys to-do list.

post #2301 of 2584 Old 04-23-2012, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

^^^im just posting a hello to all sony tv owners on here to get my post count up!anybody want to even bother to know why?...i certainly dont blame anyone not giving a hoot,but lets say im slightly suspicious...

post #2302 of 2584 Old 04-24-2012, 10:34 AM

hx850 update today. nothing seems different, where do they keep change logs?
post #2303 of 2584 Old 04-24-2012, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

hx850 update today. nothing seems different, where do they keep change logs?

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...d#/downloadTab

However, normally takes Sony several weeks to roll-out updates to all regions and they generally don't post release notes until the update has gone out to all regions across the globe. In North America you'll see the new firmware available several weeks before the corresponding release notes get posted.

LB
post #2304 of 2584 Old 04-24-2012, 06:42 PM

So here is the problem. Love my 55820. I went through a few of them . Its got about a quarter in line on the top ,bottom left and right of the screen. Im guessing its the crease issue. call Sony last week and today they offered me the 55850 with a longer warranty for $150.00.
Any thoughts? Thanks
post #2305 of 2584 Old 04-24-2012, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff909 View Post

So here is the problem. Love my 55820. I went through a few of them . Its got about a quarter in line on the top ,bottom left and right of the screen. Im guessing its the crease issue. call Sony last week and today they offered me the 55850 with a longer warranty for $150.00.
Any thoughts? Thanks

Take the offer. I don't think you're going to get an 820 that you'll really like. It's a good offer as opposed to repairing your 820.

Sony KDL-55HX729, Sony STR-DH820 Receiver, Sony BDP-S590 BD Player, Sony SA-W2500 subs, Sony, SS-CN5000 center channel, Sony SS-F6000 left and right front speakers, Sony 3D Glasses: TDG BR-750 & TDG-BR250, Apple TV, APC Back Up UPS XS1500, Apple Airport Extreme.
post #2306 of 2584 Old 04-24-2012, 09:21 PM

Thanks, I think I will. But I'd love too see the set in person. I called around and no one has it yet, except the Sony Style Store in Glendale Ca. I'll swing bye this weekend to check it out. Also the remote seems cheaper so I'm just going to forget to put the 820 remote in the box when its returned. I like that it lights up. I'll miss the lighted Sony logo too. I'll have too suffer I guess. Why did they do that?
post #2307 of 2584 Old 04-24-2012, 09:23 PM

Your right. I went through 5 46in sets and 3 55 in.
post #2308 of 2584 Old 04-24-2012, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff909 View Post

Thanks, I think I will. But I'd love too see the set in person. I called around and no one has it yet, except the Sony Style Store in Glendale Ca. I'll swing bye this weekend to check it out. Also the remote seems cheaper so I'm just going to forget to put the 820 remote in the box when its returned. I like that it lights up. I'll miss the lighted Sony logo too. I'll have too suffer I guess. Why did they do that?

I have the 820's little brother the HX729 (everything the same except for Gorilla Glass and no light up SONY emblem. The SONY name is in brushed aluminum finish) and if it makes you feel better-I don't like the light up SONY logo. It looks plasticky. I have a fairly expensive Sony 10" digital frame (was $299 now it's $189, i think). it looks like a mini 820 with the black glass and no bezel AND I disable to light up SONY logo. Go for it-you need something new at this point IMO.

Sony KDL-55HX729, Sony STR-DH820 Receiver, Sony BDP-S590 BD Player, Sony SA-W2500 subs, Sony, SS-CN5000 center channel, Sony SS-F6000 left and right front speakers, Sony 3D Glasses: TDG BR-750 & TDG-BR250, Apple TV, APC Back Up UPS XS1500, Apple Airport Extreme.
post #2309 of 2584 Old 04-24-2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve ans View Post

I have the 820's little brother the HX729 (everything the same except for Gorilla Glass and no light up SONY emblem. The SONY name is in brushed aluminum finish) and if it makes you feel better-I don't like the light up SONY logo. It looks plasticky. I have a fairly expensive Sony 10" digital frame (was $299 now it's $189, i think). it looks like a mini 820 with the black glass and no bezel AND I disable to light up SONY logo. Go for it-you need something new at this point IMO.

I think the hx729 is the best looking sony tv in years. Everyone I have seen though had very bad clouding though.
post #2310 of 2584 Old 04-24-2012, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincevega44 View Post

I think the hx729 is the best looking sony tv in years. Everyone I have seen though had very bad clouding though.

I was lucky - zero flash lighting. Fine screen uniformity, and nearly non existent clouding. only seen on a black screen and in a pitch black room and it is very very small. My previous (and now in the bedroom- kdl52EX701) has flashlighting and uniformity issues but I still enjoy it. It's a crap shoot- nothing in this technology is perfect. My HX729 has given me lots of pleasure. I hope your replacement TV gives you many hours of pleasure as well. Pardon iPhone typos

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia Kdl55hx820 55 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv With Built In Wi Fi Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page