Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 2584 Old 08-22-2011, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternia forever View Post

i see that you have the backlight at 1, what is the max number the backlight can go to ??

Site: Sony KDL-55HX820 | Sony KDL-55NX810 | Sony KDL-40XBR
Sound: Onkyo TX-SR608 | Energy Take Classic 7.2 w/ M8 SW
Input: Playstation 3 Slim 320gb | Xbox 360 S 250gb | Roku XDS | Samsung BD-C6800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 2584 Old 08-22-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isrararrafi View Post

these are my current settings and i get zero clouding with this. the black corrector specially helps a lot.

Setting the backlight at 1 is going to eliminate clouding as well. 1 is a bit dull for my taste, I find 4 to be the perfect setting.

Input: Playstation 3 Slim 320gb | Xbox 360 S 250gb | Roku XDS | Samsung BD-C6800
post #213 of 2584 Old 08-22-2011, 06:24 PM

What settings besides the automotion etc type stuff should be adjusted when playing Xbox 360 versus watching TV? Should I alter the sharpness at all?

Q9450 @ 3.4GHZ| Asus P5Q Pro| EVGA GTX 280| Corsair Dominator (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066| Corsair 620HX| Vista Ultimate x64| Antec P182
post #214 of 2584 Old 08-22-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic54 View Post

What settings besides the automotion etc type stuff should be adjusted when playing Xbox 360 versus watching TV? Should I alter the sharpness at all?

It really depends on a couple things, what types of games are you playing (FPS vs. RPG)? FPS games can be very prone to input lag so typically you really want to reduce the amount of video processing so it doesn't impact your ability to get those CoD killstreaks. Otherwise, it doesn't really matter. Typically gamers usually turn up the sharpness a bit. However, for me, I keep the same settings all the time (gaming, streaming movies, playing blurays, etc.) if you check back a bit you'll see my settings on the last page and I ONLY had an Xbox 360 and PS3 connected to the TV (via a surround sound receiver.) These days, input lag is so low that unless you're an MLG pro (and even then) you'll never notice a difference.

post #215 of 2584 Old 08-22-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquayonex View Post

I really dig this TV. I think its a definite improvement over my 55NX810. Even my wife noticed the difference with the 3D. She commented on it looking a lot crisper and more vivid. And this woman does not notice this kind of stuff.

I'm still playing around with the settings but with is what I have so far....

Common
Custom

Backlight 4
Picture 85
Brightness 50 (What's surprising is that for the first time ever, I may bump this up to 52-54. According to DVE and the Disney WOW testing the blacks are clipping a bit outside of the pluge test pattern.)
Color 50
Hue 0
Color Tempature Warm 1
Sharpness 45
Noise Reduction Off
MPEG Noise Off
Dot Noise Off
Reality Creation Off
Smooth Gradation Off
MotionFlow Standard
CineMotion Auto 1
Black Corrector Low
Adv. Contrast Enhancer Low
Gamma 0
LED Dynamic Control Standard
Auto Light Limiter Off
Clear White Low
White Balance:
Detail Enhancer Low
Edge Enhancer Low

I am interested in trying your settings. I assume you have turned off the Ambient Sensor?

Also, what are you using for Live Color, Skin Naturaliser and i/p Conversion Preference?
post #216 of 2584 Old 08-22-2011, 09:17 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Setting the backlight at 1 is going to eliminate clouding as well. 1 is a bit dull for my taste, I find 4 to be the perfect setting.

Yes t does look a lil dull in the morning when the sun light is right on the screen. At that time I generally switch to standard mode which I have customized to have the same setting as custom but backlight at 4. Works perfect for me at that time. But anytime after noon when the sun isn't directly on the screen I switch to custom with backlit 1 and it looks quite vibrant to me.
post #217 of 2584 Old 08-23-2011, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Anyone else noticed that when you sit this on the stand, screw it in, it sort of naturally tilts back a bit? I'm not talking about the lift and set 6 degree change either... It's a tiny tiny change...but its a tilt back at the top. Very subtle.

Weird.

Yes. I was taking some pictures of my TV yesterday and noticed the TV does tilt back a bit. (I wonder if this is by design). On the other hand, I'd say the stand overall is a minor weak point of this otherwise excellent TV. For my 55HX820 panel the table top stand is a bit wobbly (for me anyway) and took some adjusting and I think it still leans to the right just a bit. But I really don't notice it unless I am looking for it and the TV stand does appear to be secure. I am so pleased that I can swivel the 55" TV with the tabletop stand that I am okay with this slight trade off.

I was in my local Sony store yesterday and saw the XBR-55HX929 also has the same stand. I observed that both the HX820's and HX929's they had on table-top display all seem to be a bit "wobbly" and lean ever so slightly.

There are so many different ways to mount this TV--I am not sure this is something anyone would have to worry about--other than other new customers like me who examines every inch of my new purchase :-)

Edit: I just checked the Sony website TV picture gallery for the 55" HX820/HX929 looks like the swivel tabletop stand is designed for the TV to stand up straight OR tilt back a bit.
http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...312896#gallery

LB
post #218 of 2584 Old 08-23-2011, 09:18 AM

ok, have some questions:

1. how does the recommendation system work? :S
2. what is picture adjustment lock under preference?
3. when i press the power button in the remote the tv goes to stand by and a small red light turns on. But if i press the power button on the tv to turn it off there are no lights on and in both cases i can use the remote to turn back the tv on. so my question is, what is the difference between the remote power button and the tv power button?
4. is it just my tv or does it take a long time to start up before we can access the home menu?
5. is there any button in the remote where you can change picture settings quickly from cutom to standard to vivid? i know there is a scene select button but i don't use it that much.
post #219 of 2584 Old 08-23-2011, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
ok, have some questions:

"Searches for and shows programs you may like under [Recommendations] in the Home Menu." ( I believe it does this based upon your broadcast viewing habits)

"Prevents the picture adjustments from being changed."

3. when i press the power button in the remote the tv goes to stand by and a small red light turns on. But if i press the power button on the tv to turn it off there are no lights on and in both cases i can use the remote to turn back the tv on. so my question is, what is the difference between the remote power button and the tv power button?

This is the power save mode. It continues to draw power in the standby mode and should start up faster.

4. is it just my tv or does it take a long time to start up before we can access the home menu?

Yep--same here, a bit annoying but I have learned to wait a few seconds

5. is there any button in the remote where you can change picture settings quickly from cutom to standard to vivid? i know there is a scene select button but i don't use it that much.
I haven't found one yet. This is why I ended up leaving the settings on "auto" ( My family is tired of me changing settings all the time)

Maybe another forum member has found the solution?

LB
post #220 of 2584 Old 08-23-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsparkle1811 View Post

I am interested in trying your settings. I assume you have turned off the Ambient Sensor?

Also, what are you using for Live Color, Skin Naturaliser and i/p Conversion Preference?

Ambient Sensor is off.
Live Color is off.
Skin Naturalizer is also off.
i/p Conversion is set to quality. But what's odd is that it's "grey'd out" so I don't think I can change it anyway. (Not that I would.)

post #221 of 2584 Old 08-23-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ2 View Post

Edit: I just checked the Sony website TV picture gallery for the 55" HX820/HX929 looks like the swivel tabletop stand is designed for the TV to stand up straight OR tilt back a bit.
http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...312896#gallery

I knew that. But mine isn't the full 6 degrees back. I want to keep it straight, but even doing so it seems like it tilts back a 1/2 degree or something. Maybe less... Nothing bad, I'm just OCD with new purchases and noticed.

post #222 of 2584 Old 08-23-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:

I haven't found one yet. This is why I ended up leaving the settings on "auto" ( My family is tired of me changing settings all the time)

Maybe another forum member has found the solution?

Instead of going through the remote for "home", then "settings" then "picture adjustment".

Just click "options" on the remote, then "picture adjustment".

Not super fast, but it does same a couple steps.

post #223 of 2584 Old 08-23-2011, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:

ok, have some questions:

In answer to question #3:
First let me say that I have the nx720. When I turn the tv off with the remote, the red light comes on. When I hit the power button on the tv the red light goes off. In any case the tv can be turned back on using either the remote or the button on the tv. Therefore I believe hitting the button on the tv to turn it off takes it out of standby mode and would most likely save on power consumption. The tv works fine either way.

This is basically what LBJ2 said and I amplified it a little.

LBJ2
Hope I didn't one-up you.

Ticking away.. the moments that make up a dull day.

Cheers
Bob
post #224 of 2584 Old 08-23-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquayonex View Post

instead of going through the remote for "home", then "settings" then "picture adjustment".

Just click "options" on the remote, then "picture adjustment".

Not super fast, but it does same a couple steps.

+1

Cheers
Bob
post #225 of 2584 Old 08-23-2011, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I knew that. But mine isn't the full 6 degrees back. I want to keep it straight, but even doing so it seems like it tilts back a 1/2 degree or something. Maybe less... Nothing bad, I'm just OCD with new purchases and noticed.

Same here--My TV tilts back ever so slightly even though I have it in the straight position. I don't know how to adjust it so it tilts back 6 degrees--and wouldn't want to any way. I can't really tell unless I look at the side profile.

LB
post #226 of 2584 Old 08-23-2011, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videoz View Post

In answer to question #3:
First let me say that I have the nx720. When I turn the tv off with the remote, the red light comes on. When I hit the power button on the tv the red light goes off. In any case the tv can be turned back on using either the remote or the button on the tv. Therefore I believe hitting the button on the tv to turn it off takes it out of standby mode and would most likely save on power consumption. The tv works fine either way.

This is basically what LBJ2 said and I amplified it a little.

LBJ2
Hope I didn't one-up you.

LOL. No worries. I am all ears/eyes to learn as much as I can about this TV.

LB
post #227 of 2584 Old 08-23-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:

LOL. No worries. I am all ears/eyes to learn as much as I can about this TV.

I strongly considered the 820, but I'm more than happy with the 720.

Cheers
Bob
post #228 of 2584 Old 08-23-2011, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videoz View Post

I strongly considered the 820, but I'm more than happy with the 720.

I exchanged the "EX" 720 for the HX820 because there was severe 3D crosstalk on the EX720. Other than the 3D crosstalk issue I found the Ex720 2D display quite nice. How about the NX720? Are you able to watch 3D on the NX720?

LB
post #229 of 2584 Old 08-23-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:

I exchanged the "EX" 720 for the HX820 because there was severe 3D crosstalk on the EX720. Other than the 3D crosstalk issue I found the Ex720 2D display quite nice. How about the NX720? Are you able to watch 3D on the NX720?

I can't answer that question because I have absolutely no interest in 3d. I tried it out at my local Best Buy, and found the glasses to be extremely uncomfortable when wearing them over my prescription glasses.

So no 3d for me.

Cheers
Bob
post #230 of 2584 Old 08-23-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned_Kelly View Post

Tonight I finally had the time to do some check on my 1 week old 55HX820 and man what a beautiful screen... The only thing is that I noticed some backlight bleeding - lost of white light in the corners for example when I watch movies at 2:35:1. And the longer I am watching the more I am noticing it ..

Does anyone know what adjustment I can make to get this away, or do I have to call Sony to swap the set???

Thanks in advance for your help.

Is there anyone who could give me some advise on this? thx
post #231 of 2584 Old 08-23-2011, 02:08 PM

^^^ depends on the severity of clouding and flash lighting. Almost all of them will have clouding. So it's all about luck tbh.

Thanks for the answers guys. Already knew about the option picture adjustment, but was looking for some way to do it quicker than that. My old sony 40v3000 remote had that extra button. Maybe i should try that remote. Another annoyance. If I go to the home menu and adjust some settings and then turn it off. And then go back to the home menu again, I would rather prefer it to highlight the last section I was in rather than going thru the tv guide Internet tv recommendation history favorites etc etc. It's quite annoying. Again my old tv used to remember the last menu selection I was in.
post #232 of 2584 Old 08-23-2011, 02:15 PM

Ok. Just tried my old remote . The picture button in that one can change fpicture mode from custom to standard to vivid. So the ir code is definitely included in the tv but no button for it in the remote . Wonder if a harmony one can do it.
post #233 of 2584 Old 08-23-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Ambient Sensor is off.
Live Color is off.
Skin Naturalizer is also off.
i/p Conversion is set to quality. But what's odd is that it's "grey'd out" so I don't think I can change it anyway. (Not that I would.)
Thanks for that.....I will try these settings tonight.
post #234 of 2584 Old 08-23-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsparkle1811 View Post
Thanks for that.....I will try these settings tonight.
i/p Conversion is set to quality because I have scene select set to "auto". Apparently its dependent on that... But like I said, I'd keep it on quality (vs. speed) anyway.

post #235 of 2584 Old 08-23-2011, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Affordable enhanced sound for your HX820.

For anyone interested, today I installed the new Sony 3D Sound Bar Home Theater system the Sony HT-CT550W. I had it all connected to my HX820 and humming in minutes.

I've got to say I was a bit nervous after having read the "mixed" reviews on this system--some consumers were pretty negative, but now that I have it all set up I can only wonder if some of these guys had a defective system, didn't utilize all the receiver settings correctly, or perhaps this system wasn't compatible with some or all of their other home theater components, or worse they used old component cables instead of high speed HDMI cables.

Connecting to my Sony HX820 TV was seamless. It all syncs up (receiver, Blu ray, TV) to the TV remote with 550W receiver controls displayed on the TV screen so I can make any receiver adjustments while viewing content ( Only with high speed HDMI cables)

For the money, this system produces booming, ear-ringing sound with deep Subwoofer bass. So much so I got in trouble with the rest of the family in other parts of the house. :-) I used the Master and Commander blu ray disk to help me set the sound controls. Now, I didn't get the full surround sound affects I get on my main home theater system that sports a Denon 3311CI with 5.1 built-ins and center ( that cost $$$$)-- but for the few hundred bucks + free shipping I paid for the Sony HT-CT550W sound bar--I couldn't be more impressed.

The other day, I compared this system to the renown Sony CT350 sound bar from 2009/10 at my local Sony Store--and for me--configured correctly with high speed HDMI cables and proper bass, SW and master volume settings using the Step-Up 3D blu-ray--the HT-CT550W output beat the respectable CT350 hands-down. With the HT-CT550W we had the walls shaking at the Sony Store demo room!

If any of you are looking for a low cost $335-$399, quality sound ( minimal wires) sound bar system to enhance your HX820 TV, I highly recommend the Sony HT-CT550W. If you've got a much bigger budget and a very large room--then check out the Denon 3311CI for a real 5.1 or 7.1 experience

Thanks for reading!

LB
post #236 of 2584 Old 08-23-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned_Kelly View Post
Is there anyone who could give me some advise on this? thx
Post some pictures and we can probably better tell you if it's normal or not. Some clouding is always normal, but how much you can stand is up to you. I have owned a few of these TVs now and some clouding was always present. If yours is in the bottom corners, there is another guy on this thread who has the same thing. Search back through the thread and you'll see his pictures.

post #237 of 2584 Old 08-23-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:

For anyone interested, today I installed the new Sony 3D Sound Bar Home Theater system the Sony HT-CT550W. I had it all connected to my HX820 and humming in minutes.

I've got to say I was a bit nervous after having read the "mixed" reviews on this system--some consumers were pretty negative, but now that I have it all set up I can only wonder if some of these guys had a defective system, didn't utilize all the receiver settings correctly, or perhaps this system wasn't compatible with some or all of their other home theater components, or worse they used old component cables instead of high speed HDMI cables.

Connecting to my Sony HX820 TV was seamless. It all syncs up (receiver, Blu ray, TV) to the TV remote with 550W receiver controls displayed on the TV screen so I can make any receiver adjustments while viewing content ( Only with high speed HDMI cables)

For the money, this system produces booming, ear-ringing sound with deep Subwoofer bass. So much so I got in trouble with the rest of the family in other parts of the house. :-) I used the Master and Commander blu ray disk to help me set the sound controls. Now, I didn't get the full surround sound affects I get on my main home theater system that sports a Denon 3311CI with 5.1 built-ins and center ( that cost $$$$)-- but for the few hundred bucks + free shipping I paid for the Sony HT-CT550W sound bar--I couldn't be more impressed.

The other day, I compared this system to the renown Sony CT350 sound bar from 2009/10 at my local Sony Store--and for me--configured correctly with high speed HDMI cables and proper bass, SW and master volume settings using the Step-Up 3D blu-ray--the HT-CT550W output beat the respectable CT350 hands-down. With the HT-CT550W we had the walls shaking at the Sony Store demo room!

If any of you are looking for a low cost $335-$399, quality system to enhance your HX820 TV speakers, I highly recommend the Sony HT-CT550W. If you've got a much biger budget and a very large room--then check out the Denon 3311CI for a real 5.1 or 7.1 experience

Thanks for reading!
Nice! I dig the look of the sub in that system.

I'll always be a traditional AV receiver/speaker guy at heart.

My setup...,

- Onkyo TX-SR608
- Energy Take Classic 7.1 channel speakers system. (Soon to be 7.2 as I will be adding the Energy ESW-M8 as a second sub in the back of the room.)

My typical sound profile is Dolby PLIIz Height speakers. So I have the front center channel, two satellites in the front on both sides, two in the back/side and two high satellites in the front for the vertical sound stage. Watching blurays with a helicopter overhead or rainfall really has an amazing effect.

post #238 of 2584 Old 08-23-2011, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Nice! I dig the look of the sub in that system.

I'll always be a traditional AV receiver/speaker guy at heart.

My setup...,

- Onkyo TX-SR608
- Energy Take Classic 7.1 channel speakers system. (Soon to be 7.2 as I will be adding the Energy ESW-M8 as a second sub in the back of the room.)

My typical sound profile is Dolby PLIIz Height speakers. So I have the front center channel, two satellites in the front on both sides, two in the back/side and two high satellites in the front for the vertical sound stage. Watching blurays with a helicopter overhead or rainfall really has an amazing effect.
Aqua: sounds like you got a nice setup there!. The cnet guys love your "Energy Take Classic " 5.1 set. They gave it a 2011 "editors choice award" Let me know how that 7.2 goes once you get it all set up.

Can you recommend your favorite Blu-ray "sound" reference? For me so far:
Master and Commander and Band of Brothers and the new "Priest" with Paul Bettany....but I am always looking for other reference quality blu-rays.

LB
post #239 of 2584 Old 08-23-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:

If any of you are looking for a low cost $335-$399, quality sound ( minimal wires) sound bar system to enhance your HX820 TV, I highly recommend the Sony HT-CT550W. If you've got a much bigger budget and a very large room--then check out the Denon 3311CI for a real 5.1 or 7.1 experience

Thanks for reading!

Please post some pics!!! As my BOSE 321 experiment blew up with horrible sound results. That setup sucked big time!
post #240 of 2584 Old 08-23-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:

Aqua: sounds like you got a nice setup there!. The cnet guys love your "Energy Take Classic " 5.1 set. They gave it a 2011 "editors choice award" Let me know how that 7.2 goes once you get it all set up.

Can you recommend your favorite Blu-ray "sound" reference? For me so far:
Master and Commander and Band of Brothers and the new "Priest" with Paul Bettany....but I am always looking for other reference quality blu-rays.

Oh, I've had the Take Classics since February and they are seriously awesome. They are sold in a 5.1 system, but if you call Energy directly you can purchase additional satellites for around $80/piece (which is what I did.)

Here is my list of great home theater movies to really wow your friends.

I Am Legend - Superb sound quality.

The Hurt Locker - The sound alone is explosive! No pun intended. But seriously, an awesome BD. If you want to see what your sound system is really worth, this is the movie for you.

Avatar - If you can get your hands on the 3D copy great, otherwise, the Bluray is amazing in and of itself.

Inception - Great movie, even better video/sound experience.

Lord of the Kings - Awesome. Enough said.

I've been thinking of renting Priest in 3D on Amazon Video. I may have to give it a shot.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia Kdl55hx820 55 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv With Built In Wi Fi Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page