no audio when XBR-55HX929 TV connected through optical cable - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 07-14-2011, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have connected my Sony XBR-55HX929 TV to Sony Bravia Home Theatre using HDMI and optical cable. Also, I have connected PS3 to TV using HDMI.

But I am not able to get any audio from HT for any TV channels I play or even from PS3.

Any idea how can I get it work?

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 07-15-2011, 05:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Make sure you have your surround sound system on the correct input.

Check the audio settings on the TV to see if there is anything about the audio output (whether to set it to fixed/variable, to enable or disable, etc).

Are you using the internal tuner for TV? Or do you have a cable/satellite box?

Smile. :)
post #3 of 22 Old 07-15-2011, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
It is plugged in? Solidly I mean.

The optical cable should go in with a solid click.

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #4 of 22 Old 07-16-2011, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, all cables are connected tightly. I did selected TV audio settings to Audio out instead of TV speakers. There is no other option on TV for audio related things. And on my HT, its selected to TV...actually it automatically selects this option because of Sony Bravia sync capability. For all other options, TV speakers are activated and I head sound from TV then.
post #5 of 22 Old 07-16-2011, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanishq02 View Post

Yes, all cables are connected tightly. I did selected TV audio settings to Audio out instead of TV speakers. There is no other option on TV for audio related things. And on my HT, its selected to TV...actually it automatically selects this option because of Sony Bravia sync capability. For all other options, TV speakers are activated and I head sound from TV then.

This is a complete guess, but this may have to do with ARC (hdmi audio return channel) compatability. If you have your hdmi cable plugged into the input labeled ARC on your TV then the tv will send the audio out over HDMI instead of optical. If your HT doesn't support ARC, then you would get no sound.

I don't know for sure that your TV has ARC, but I would assume it does since its pretty much the top of the line LED available.
post #6 of 22 Old 07-16-2011, 09:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 242
This may sound sarcastic and it's not meant to be, but... since you have a Sony TV and Sony HT system, have you contacted Sony support for help/recommendations?

The TV supports ARC. So if this is an ARC vs. optical issue/conflict, easy tests would be:
1) remove the optical cable
2) remove the HDMI cable

I'm certain that the manuals probably outline connections and setup.
post #7 of 22 Old 07-17-2011, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

@ratman, I tried contacting sony support, but none of them seem to know what to do. They keep on pointing to support manual, which I have already been through.

Also, i tried your tests as well:

1) Removing optical cable - no audio from HT
2) Removing HDMI cable - audio comes from TV.

Based on this, it seems like TV is passing audio from HDMI instead of optical cable. I am not what settings to change next to get audio from optical
post #8 of 22 Old 07-17-2011, 02:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Other than bad cables, which I doubt, I'd assume something in your setup (either the receiver or TV) is not configured properly. It's a shame that Sony wasn't helpful after you bought their products.

Perhaps someone else will read through your manuals to provide some suggestions.
post #9 of 22 Old 07-17-2011, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Try going to the AVR menu and assign the outputs correctly.
post #10 of 22 Old 07-17-2011, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
^agreed...also for a sanity check use your PS3 or a BR player or whatever you have that has optical out and try plugging it into the same optical input on your receiver that it being used by your tv and see if you get audio...if not hughh is most likely right and you input is assigned with something other than optical.

...dumb question but I've seen it happen...did you remove the little plastic cover from the the end of your optical cable?
post #11 of 22 Old 07-18-2011, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

You might try posting your question in the HX929 Owner's Thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1318875
post #12 of 22 Old 07-20-2011, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Ok, I see that nobody is jumping in to help over in the owners thread.

I took a quick look at your manual. Have you done this?
Quote:
To output the sound from the connected audio system, press HOME, then select [toolbox] -> [Sound] -> [Headphone/Audio Out] -> [Audio Out].

Also I see that hdmi1 is your arc input, so you may want to connect your HT to hdmi2 while you're trying to sort this out.

Did you try Hugh and topr's excellent suggestions?
post #13 of 22 Old 07-23-2011, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

I already tried all solutions suggested. My HT doesn't support ARC and therefore I have not connected HDMI to HDMI1 (which is ARC) in TV. Its on HDMI2. Also, if I have optical running from PS3 to HT directly, I always get audio from HT. This is my current setup. But I wanted to get TV channels audio or whatever I watch over the TV (ex. YouTube, Netflix etc) audio through HT. Hence all the trouble
post #14 of 22 Old 07-23-2011, 10:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Optical out from TV to receiver.
Set digital audio options to Dolby Digital and PCM (both?).
Make sure the optical input of the receiver is assigned to TV input. (topr's suggestion(s) in post #10)
(Most receivers have multiple optical/coax inputs that need to be manually assigned if one chooses not to use the defaults).
post #15 of 22 Old 07-23-2011, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Guys (and any possible gals?) the OP says he has a Sony Bravia Home Theater. I could be wrong but I suspect this is an HTIB, most of which don't have assignable inputs like AVRs do.

Whatever it is it would be helpful if the OP would post the model number of the "Home Theater". If it is an HTIB it might also be helpful to him if he posted his query in the "Home Theater In a Box" or "Amps and Receivers" forums, whichever is appropriate.

Steve S.
post #16 of 22 Old 07-23-2011, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Steve is right. I have HTIB and its Sony DAV-HDX500. But I am wondering if I can get audio from HT if I connect PS3 to HT using optical, but I don't get it if I connect TV to HT using same optical ports, cable etc. My TV sound settings is set to Audio system (not TV speakers)
post #17 of 22 Old 07-23-2011, 01:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

As suggested earlier, have you removed the optical cable from the input in the receiver where the PS3 is currently connected, connect the TV's optical cable into the same input? Do not change anything in the receiver. Does it work?

Double check the audio output settings in the TV. Make sure the digital audio (optical) output is enabled. Disable ARC on the HDMI... even if not being used.

I highly suspect "pilot error" (no offense). Perhaps Steve S would be nice enough to read through your HTiB manual rather than redirecting the OP to another thread only rehash what's been covered.
post #18 of 22 Old 07-23-2011, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Just got done looking up the manual for the HTIB, the tv, and turned on my PS3 to check out the options on it.

There are two digital inputs on the HTIB, one optical and one coaxial. When pressing the function button on the HTIB remote it cycles thru them and the digital inputs indicate D import 1 and D import 2 for these but it doesn't say whether the optical input is D-1 or D-2. Try both with content from the PS3 visibly playing on the tv and optical cable running from the optical out on the tv to the optical in on the HTIB. The optical audio out on the tv should work all the time, the analog audio out needs to be enabled or disabled on the tv but not the optical. The level from the optical audio out on the tv is fixed--the tv volume control doesn't affect it.

If this doesn't work turn the tv speakers on in the tv setup menu (assuming they're already off). See if you get PS3 audio from the tv speakers. If not you might need to change the HDMI audio output on the PS3. Over HDMI the set will accept dolby digital and two channel PCM at 44.1 or 48khz, won't do anything with DTS or other PCM formats. If you go to the video settings screen on the PS3 look for "HDMI audio out" and try switching back and forth between PCM and Bitstream to see if you get audio.

Under "Music settings" on the PS3, set "output frequency" to 48khz.

I think the problem could be as simple as selecting "TV" under the HTIB's function selections instead of "D-import 1" or "D-import 2". Selecting "TV" switches the HTIB to a pair of analog inputs on the back, not the optical digital input.

Steve S.
post #19 of 22 Old 07-23-2011, 02:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Good job Steve. Hopefully this gets the OP on the right track.
post #20 of 22 Old 10-03-2013, 04:27 PM

I hate to revive an old thread but I've been searching everywhere online for an answer to this and haven't found one anywhere.  I see in this thread that Steve S stated that the optical on this tv is fixed (which I expected), but what about the analog audio out?  Is there a way to adjust the audio output from that via the remote/tv?  Thanks in advance.

post #21 of 22 Old 10-04-2013, 07:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

According to the specs for that model TV, it states "Audio Out : Fixed/Variable"

http://store.sony.com/p/XBR-55-Inch-Full-Array-LED-LCD-3D-TV/en/p/XBR55HX929#specifications
post #22 of 22 Old 10-04-2013, 07:31 AM

Yeah, I had seen that.  I was looking for a more definitive answer from someone who actually owns this model.  I discovered that one of my friends actually have the 46" model of this tv, so I had him test and it turns out that if you change the output mode of the analog audio out to headphones then you can control the output volume from the tv.  Thanks for the reply.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Xbr55hx929 55 Inch 1080p 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv With Built In Wi Fi Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page