HDMI has DVD sound but no CD sound - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-22-2011, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not sure which forum this goes in Audio? Video?

An Onkyo changer connected via HDMI to a Vizio TV. DVD's play as expected, picture and sound are fine. CD's however, have no sound. The TV screen shows track/playing time info, etc as expected but there is no sound.

Onkyo said I should be getting sound on both DVD and CD via HDMI. After having me run some diagnostics, they told me their unit was defective. I got a replacement and it exhibits the same behavior.

I've tried its various PCM settings; doesn't help.

I'm wondering now whether the Vizio TV is defective or this is some bizarre mismatch.

I'll call Vizio tomorrow but any suggestions now very welcome.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-22-2011, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Don't know exactly that ur prob is, but I do know the CD WILL come out of the RCA audio out jacks.

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #3 of 11 Old 07-23-2011, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

I do get analog output but shouldn't I also get CD sound from the HDMI connection? I do get a 'picture' of the CD (tracks/playing time, etc) from the HDMI connection.
post #4 of 11 Old 07-23-2011, 08:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Assuming you're trying get audio from CD's on the TV's speakers, yes it should work. Personally, I don't know why you would want to listen to CD using the TV's speakers anyway.

Don't you have an audio system/receiver?

I would assume there's an audio setting (or restriction?) being overlooked.

What's the make/model of the DVD/CD player?
post #5 of 11 Old 07-23-2011, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

The TV is connected to an external amp/speakers. The problem is the same whether I use the internal TV speakers or external amp/speakers.

The changer is an Onkyo DV-CP706B; the TV is Vizio M221NV

For what it's worth, using the RGB + analog audio inputs, I get no sound from DVDs or CD's, tho the picture/track info is OK.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-23-2011, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What are the audio out format options on your player...and to your post above it sounds like your analog audio out and digital audio out aren't active at the same time...which seems strange because most are.

edit: was the HDMI still plugged in to your player when you tried analog out?
post #7 of 11 Old 07-23-2011, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

RGB audio problem solved; operator error.

Just got off phone w. Vizio. At the end, all they could suggest was to try another HDMI cable. Will do, but I'm dubious as DVD pix and sound are OK as is CD pix.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-23-2011, 10:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Okay...
connect HDMI to TV for video.
connect audio from the PC and/or DVD/CD player directly to the external amp/speakers using digital coax or toslink.

From Amazon feedback:
Quote:

Onkyo DV-CP706B 6-Disc DVD Player (Black) (Electronics)
We've had this product just a few weeks, but are quite pleased with it. The only snag was when we hooked it up to both our receiver (with RCA analog jacks)and our new HDTV (with an HDMI cable)so that we could play our CD's through our receiver and our DVD's through the television. The problem was in hooking up the TV. We received a picture but no sound. Talking to our tv technician was of no help. We figured the problem out through trial and error, namely that the Onkyo's menu had a variety of sound options, to include some that we had no idea what they were for. One option, I believe it was the "PCM" option, did the trick when we turned it on. Apparently this option lowers the kHz frequency of the output so that it is compatible with the television (whatever all that means). Once I clicked that option on, the sound came through the TV. These instruction booklets all assume that consumers understand these technical terms, so you have to be something of a detective to finally figure it all out. Now everything (finally) works.

post #9 of 11 Old 07-23-2011, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your note; I've seen the Amazon review and have already tried all the various audio settings on the player.

I've tried a new HDMI cable; makes no difference.

I can get sound and pix w. CDs using RGB, or AV; just no sound on HDMI. It's just inconvenient to have to switch the TV's input from HDMI to RGB when going between DVDs and CDs.

The external amp/speaker only has an analog input, no digital input, which I'm feeding from the TVs headphone jack.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-24-2011, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Yea, it really sounds like the cd player is upconverting cd's to maybe 192khz, which your tv can only get 44.1 and 48khz. I know you said you have tried everything, but try every setting again, maybe you will get it right. If the tv gets audio from dvd's, those have 48khz audio, so it's not a problem with the tv or the cd player itself, it must be an audio setting somewhere.

I have an old 5 disc cd player that I rarely use, but it automatically outputs digital audio from cd's in DTS format. I have to go into the options and disable that, and set it to only output 2 channel 44.1khz audio.
post #11 of 11 Old 07-24-2011, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

I've cycled through every possible combination of tv and changer settings w/o success. I'm resigned to using RGB+analog audio for CDs.

I've no idea what would happen if I were using the changer's digital audio outputs - I've no way to try them as my amp is a very old analog-only unit.

Thanks for your suggestion.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page