Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
PLEASE BAN THIS PERSON. So many USELESS POSTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

Sharp Elite PRO-70X5FD Screen Non-uniformity Example
This was posted by an Elite owner in their Owners thread

When performing an automated calibration with my 70" Sharp 735 with 478 test patterns, this screen non-uniformity is actually worse than my 735. Both are produced at the same facility on the same equipment to the same standards. Of course there are unit-to-unit variations, but all should have some non-ideal fixed patterns. Notice the edges/corners are darker. On the 735 it's only the corners and on my sample less severe.

BTW, when calibrating with the breakthrough retail version of the i1 Display Pro 3 meter and x-rite software, I set the ATI applets dynamic range in two places: Flat Panel format to Full-Range RGB AND the Video Dynamic range to 0-255. I also make sure that the Windows 7 system default color profiles are loaded in the Control Panel-->Color Calibration for all users. Investigate every button and tab. Then reboot and verify that these important settings at still set. Then calibrate, and then go set the Control Panel-->Color Calibration to use your new profile.
In the x-rite application, I select D6500 light source, native contrast and brightness. Since I use 240Hz frequently I selected that too. I turned color to -5 in the Sharp's menu. Other than that everything is set flat. I did the calibration a night to lessen even the smallest errors (the meter attaches directly to the screen).
I just saw Nine and Chitty-Chitty Bang Bang and every scene looked like a promotional picture from a movie magazine. Virtual perfection with excellent blacks at night or in the daytime. Using these high contrast panels, if the calibration is perfect, then the absolute black level becomes much less important. I want to emphasis that my high opinion of the Sharp 735 is based upon a virtually perfect correction of gray scale and color using my htpc with look-up table correction (just like the professionals in the color industry use). Otherwise a calibrated display will win every time to one uncalibrated or set to dynamic mode. Lets compare apples to apples.

The viewing angle is moderate on these 70" displays. Stand off to the side and the calibrated picture washes out. Make no mistake: plasma is still much wider viewing angle. The glossy filter on the Elite is effective in reducing the local diming induced haloing as blacks become blacker. I viewed the Star Wars Blu-ray ending with the titles scrolling against a black background. If i looked for it I could see the black level increase around the bright text, but the average user would not see it under the Big Box bright lighting. At nighttime it would become an interesting test!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1646 Old 09-25-2011, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I'm surprised he hasn't been banned for spamming the calibration stuff he shamelessly promotes in every post.

Steve S.
post #273 of 1646 Old 09-25-2011, 06:49 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

I'm surprised he hasn't been banned for spamming the calibration stuff he shamelessly promotes in every post.

Let’s build up some facts to determine the image processing with the Sharp 735 and the Elites:

AquoMotion 240
AquoMotion 240 Technology improves fast moving images by combining Sharp's 120Hz Fine Motion Enhanced Technology with 120-backlight scanning. Fine Motion Advanced processing creates and inserts 60 unique frames a second, which smooths out edges that occur between frames in the original footage. The backlight scanning works with the panel refresh rate to further reduce perceived motion blur and improve overall clarity and picture quality.

Film Mode/3:2 pull-down (Sharp Owner’s Manual)
Automatically detects a film-based source (originally encoded at 24 frames/second), analyzes it then recreates each still film frame for high-definition picture quality. Advanced (High)/Advanced (Low): Select a desired level to remove jerkiness from film contents.
Standard: Detects, analyzes, converts film source.
Off: Normal viewing mode.

Three-Two Pull Down
Three-Two Pull Down a term used in filmmaking and television production for the post-production process of transferring Film to Video. Film runs at a standard rate of 24 frames per second. The NTSC video signal frame rate is 29.97 frames per second. Every interlaced video frame has two fields for each film frame. The three-two pull down, is where the telecine adds a third video field to every second video frame.
The trained can see the addition of this extra video field. When transferred back to film, it seems as though the third video field does not exist, but it will bring the rate of 30 frame/s back to 24 frame/s for film editing purposes. The reason for this is to keep image and sound in synchronization with one another.

Frame interpolation Claimed side effects (Wikipedia)
A few side effects can be introduced by the use of the technology. Motion interpolation on certain brands of HDTVs is sometimes accompanied by visual anomalies in the picture, described by CNET's David Carnoy as a 'little tear or glitch' in the picture, appearing for a fraction of a second. He adds the effect is most noticeable when the technology suddenly kicks in during a fast camera pan.

Video look or Soap Opera Effect (Wikipedia)
The "video" look is a byproduct of the perceived increase in framerate due to the interpolation and is commonly referred to as the "Soap Opera Effect" after the way those shows looked, having been shot on cheaper 60 Hz video instead of regular broadcast equipment or film. Not everyone likes the effect and some complain that it ruins the cinematic look of home movies. For this reason, almost all manufactures have built in an option to turn the feature off.
--------------------------------
Discussion
The Sharp’s Aquomotion 240 scanning backlight interpolates/creates new frames at a 120Hz rate.
For video sources take the camera’s 30 original frames then let the Sharp’s fine processing create 30 more. Then repeat each one of 60 unique frames twice to output 120Hz.
For 24Hz film sources there are several similar possibilities. The simplest is with Aquomotion turned off. Repeated five times to create 120Hz (5:5 pulldown). The Aquomotion “Low” and “High” must create more unique frames than the original 24. However 24 does not divide into 120 evenly. To compensate, the motion algorithm knows how much time has elapsed from last frame display time to the time this new one will be displayed. The higher the frame interpolation rate the smoother the motion. However the faster the motion (and the more unpredictable it course) the more chance there is for noticeable errors to momentarily creep in.
True 240 Hz processing would reduce chances for errors. Even better will be when the Studio begins to shoot at higher frame rates like 48Hz.
Recommendations
I never use the Sharps Film mode with Aquomotion as it causes frequent motion judder ("jumpiness" in the picture). To reduce LCD blur (watching pixels change state on the screen) my personal preference is to use Aquomotion 240 exclusively. Unlike some other manufactures Sharp does not offer separate blur and judder controls. So season to personal taste.
post #274 of 1646 Old 09-25-2011, 07:09 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

PLEASE BAN THIS PERSON. So many USELESS POSTS

The fact is for $270 MSRP (retail i1 Display Pro 3 meter and software) anyone can calibrate their LCD or projector display to far more perfection than the crude, legacy ISF calibration.
I'm simply pointing out advances in technology which are more convenient, accurate and cost way less $$$. We are leveraging off of the hard work of many engineers from AMD/ATI, Nvidia, Microsoft and x-rite. The actual science behind this look-up display calibration took many years to perfect. The good news its here today for use by anyone.

Who wants the best, most accurate color and grey scale possible out of their display?
So dear readers, who would want to ban this breakthrough product from being publicized?
On my 735 every picture is a postcard!
post #275 of 1646 Old 09-26-2011, 07:36 PM

Liked: 11
So I called coast calibration. No call back yet. Any of you guys in san diego delt with them?
post #276 of 1646 Old 09-26-2011, 08:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by gutcheck2001 View Post

So I called coast calibration. No call back yet. Any of you guys in san diego delt with them?

Not me, but I look forward to your thoughts and opinions if you decide to use them. I'm in San Diego too.

Mark
post #277 of 1646 Old 09-27-2011, 11:33 AM

Liked: 10
Hey guys, I'm seriously considering this set. I currently have an old 65" Toshiba RPTV and wouldn't mind another 65" FP with a good picture, however, many of the current 65" TV's are either too expensive or don't have good ratings.

So, I'm eyeing this 70" TV and went into BB to check it out. Unfortunately, it appears that they may have the defaults loaded because the brightness was so high that a black person looked white...and no it wasn't Michael Jackson. There was a football game on and the picture didn't look like it had good clarity on the motion. Now, having said that, please tell me that you don't have these problems on your sets and it is most likely because they didn't have it half-way dialed in.

I'll be sitting back about 11' from the TV. Being that the screen will have the same resolution as a 65", will the screen size overcome the screen PQ? I also looked for the darkness in the corners and although it was there, I could barely (and I mean barely) see it. I have seen someone mention that a firmware update fixed that problem. I thought it was more of a physical backlight issue than something that could be fixed with firmware.

Just looking to make the best decision on this set. Any advice is appreciated! Thx!

Wayne
post #278 of 1646 Old 09-27-2011, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Malathion

very good set, make sure you shop around for price. Vendors such as CP and VE have very strong pricing and much better service.

The TV BEGS for a calibration no matter what you do. Both those vendors I mentioned can have it done before it even ships to your house

good luck and enjoy
post #279 of 1646 Old 09-27-2011, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I've seen the70" Sharps in three retail locations.

BB had it sharing the feed that goes to all their TVs. The set looked really bad. Comparing it to the other larger screens sharing the same feed, it looked the worst. Of course, none of the others were 70" sets.

Sears had it sharing their feed and the Sharp looked competitive. It was right next to a Samsung 60" set. and looked pretty good.

Sam's had their version (733) hooked up to a Blu-ray player. The pq and movement looked great.

My experience is that sets always look way bigger and better at home than what you see in the stores.

The only thing that has caused me to mark the Sharp 70" sets off my list of potentials, is the darkened corners. While many seem to feel that they are non issues with a display this large, they just jump out at me, everytime I see one of the sets. I've seen them on each display model.
post #280 of 1646 Old 09-27-2011, 09:13 PM

Just got my 735 yesterday and was planning on using a Panasonic DMP-BDT210 Blu-ray player.

Is anyone using a Sharp Blu-ray player with this TV? It looks like the Sharp players generally get pretty mediocre reviews, but the Sharp website propaganda talks about an "Aquos Pure" mode that is meant to integrate Sharp Blu-ray players with Aquos TVs (like the 735).

I have a Samsung D8000 in the bedroom and it works great with the Samsung Blu-ray player that came bundled with it. Stick in a 3D disc, and the TV automatically switches to 3D mode without having to run through menus on the TV. So I guess at least with the Samsung, I like the brand integration.

Any advice on what Blu-ray player works best (ie as seamless as possible) with the 735, particularly switching back and forth from 2D to 3D? Any "Aquos Pure" fans out there?
post #281 of 1646 Old 09-28-2011, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Does anyone have an oppo blu-ray player connected to this tv? If so how is it? I'm thinking about buying this player.

Bxbigpipi
post #282 of 1646 Old 09-28-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by refthimos View Post

Just got my 735 yesterday and was planning on using a Panasonic DMP-BDT210 Blu-ray player.

Is anyone using a Sharp Blu-ray player with this TV? It looks like the Sharp players generally get pretty mediocre reviews, but the Sharp website propaganda talks about an "Aquos Pure" mode that is meant to integrate Sharp Blu-ray players with Aquos TVs (like the 735).

I have a Samsung D8000 in the bedroom and it works great with the Samsung Blu-ray player that came bundled with it. Stick in a 3D disc, and the TV automatically switches to 3D mode without having to run through menus on the TV. So I guess at least with the Samsung, I like the brand integration.

Any advice on what Blu-ray player works best (ie as seamless as possible) with the 735, particularly switching back and forth from 2D to 3D? Any "Aquos Pure" fans out there?

I also use the Panasonic 210 with this blu ray.
I had to get my friend to let the blu ray player recognize that the 735 is a 3D display. ( I'll ask him later how he did it).
Now that its set up, when I pop in a 3D movie, it automatically switchs to 3D.
I also have a Samsung 60" D8000. This blu ray player works seamless with it also.
post #283 of 1646 Old 09-28-2011, 09:38 AM

Thanks guys! A couple more questions...

How is this set when viewing SD material? I plan on watching mostly HD, but when forced...may have to watch SD.

I plan on sitting about 12' back from the set. Coming from a 65", is this 70" overbearing at that range? Meaning if you are too close, I would imagine you would get a headache from keeping track of all the movement. I'm probably worrying about something I shouldn't.

And finally...do you find yourself switching modes on the TV often depending upon if daytime/nighttime? Thx!

Wayne
post #284 of 1646 Old 09-28-2011, 11:50 AM

I am deciding between a 65" d8000 or this set and have yet to find a store with this set hooked up to hdmi or a blu ray. Does this set produce the clear sharp image known as the soap opera effect like the samsung does. I personally like the effect and found that I love the d8000 for this reason but before I purchase wanted to get some insight since the 735 is bigger.
post #285 of 1646 Old 09-28-2011, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yes it does ron

Bxbigpipi
post #286 of 1646 Old 09-29-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post

Not me, but I look forward to your thoughts and opinions if you decide to use them. I'm in San Diego too.

Mark

He is here as I type. He has a ton of gear with him and apparently the youtube settings are terrible. I'll let you know how it looks.
post #287 of 1646 Old 09-29-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by refthimos View Post

Raises hand. I have this blu-ray player and I really like it.
post #288 of 1646 Old 09-29-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxbigpipi View Post

Yes it does ron

It does, but you can turn it off. It's the "film mode". When it is on you get massive SOE. When off, none at all.
post #289 of 1646 Old 09-29-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:

It does, but you can turn it off. It's the "film mode". When it is on you get massive SOE. When off, none at all.

wooooo hooooo!!!

I like this set more and more.

I've tried to make it produce the SOE in the store and couldnt make it happen. Will have to try "film mode" the next time I look at one.

is "film mode" one of the top level picture style options? Ala... Dynamic, Game and such? or is it a deeper level option?

EDIT - nevermind, found it in the owners manual, page 29-30. its under the "Advanced" picture options and is a stand alone menu item.

Now its off the to store to see if I can make it produce massive SOE

Quote:
Automatically detects a fi lm-based source (originally
encoded at 24 frames/second), analyzes it then recreates
each still fi lm frame for high-defi nition picture quality.
Advanced(High)/Advanced(Low): Select a desired level
to remove jerkiness from fi lm contents.
Standard: Detects, analyzes, converts fi lm source.
Off: Normal viewing mode.
• "Film Mode" does not function depending on input signal
type.
• "Standard" does not function when channel display shows
an input signal resolution of 480p, 720p, or 1080p.
• "Film Mode" is not available during PC format input.
• "Advanced(High)" and "Advanced(Low)" do not function
when you set AV MODE to “PC”.

post #290 of 1646 Old 09-29-2011, 04:40 PM

Ok the coastcalibration guy left. WOW. Motion problems gone, color is perfect. Now I can just sit and watch movies and not pick out flaws.
post #291 of 1646 Old 09-29-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:

Ok the coastcalibration guy left. WOW. Motion problems gone, color is perfect. Now I can just sit and watch movies and not pick out flaws.

do u notice an improvement in pq? (other than the flicker u had)

how much does a calibration cost? interest is peaked
post #292 of 1646 Old 09-29-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlasttoy View Post

do u notice an improvement in pq? (other than the flicker u had)

how much does a calibration cost? interest is peaked

Let me put it this way. My 65 year old mother said, and I'm not kidding, "holy S**t". He matches BB and did it for 199. If you are in SD do it don't even think about it.
post #293 of 1646 Old 09-30-2011, 05:41 AM

Ha! Awesome. I'm (surprisingly) pretty happy with the picture right out if the box, but the tech geek in me is always wondering what's better...
post #294 of 1646 Old 09-30-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Eden View Post

I also use the Panasonic 210 with this blu ray.
I had to get my friend to let the blu ray player recognize that the 735 is a 3D display. ( I'll ask him later how he did it).
Now that its set up, when I pop in a 3D movie, it automatically switchs to 3D.
I also have a Samsung 60" D8000. This blu ray player works seamless with it also.

I got my BD210 set up as well last evening, and the 735 definitely recognizes 3D output and switches automatically, so no issues there. Two issues though:

(1) the 735 overlays the 3D menu every time it goes into 3D mode, telling me to put on my glasses, offering me 3D options, etc. It may only last for a few seconds, but I would sure like to get rid of it. It does the same in reverse (i.e. going from 3D to 2D), telling me to remove my 3D glasses, etc. I'd really like to get rid of these notifications/menus. I looked through the 735's settings and couldn't find how to get rid of this. Can this be done?

(2) the 735 seems to lose signal or cut out for a few seconds at a time when in 3D mode. The 3D will be working great, then the screen will go black, then I will get the 3D notification/menu will come on, as if the TV momentarily switched to 2D mode and then back to 3D mode. Has anyone else experienced this, either with the BD210 or other blu-ray players? Any idea what is causing this? I have new HDMI 1.4 cables, and I did update firmware on the BD210 (not sure if it's related, but it would cut out every 10-15 seconds prior to the firmware update and maybe every minute or two after). I used the same disc (The Ultimate Wave: Tahiti 3D) with my Samsung D8000 TV and D5500 blu-ray player with zero issues.

Quote:

Raises hand. I have this blu-ray player and I really like it.

Do you mean the BD210 or a Sharp "Aquos Pure" player?
post #295 of 1646 Old 09-30-2011, 03:24 PM

The Panasonic, not the sharp. I like it quite a bit.
post #296 of 1646 Old 09-30-2011, 04:19 PM

Just back from the store and am happy to report that using the "Film Mode" in advanced did indeed produce the dreaded/loved Soap Opera Effect. The material I was watching was a little inclined to it anyway (Avatar and Tron Legacy) but it was noticeable with the film mode turned on and less so with it turned off. Of course I'm sure that are other settings that when used in conjunction with the Film Mode would either enhance or reduce the effect even more, but it was a simple test that I wanted to perform on this set. For me it passed. I like the SOE... but not allllllll the time.

now can someone tell me does the set do 2D>3D conversion?

EDIT - yes it does...

so, how is it? decent? awful? great?
post #297 of 1646 Old 09-30-2011, 07:50 PM

It's amazing. I'm watching star wars in 3d. Woot.
post #298 of 1646 Old 09-30-2011, 08:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Quote:

Let me put it this way. My 65 year old mother said, and I'm not kidding, "holy S**t". He matches BB and did it for 199. If you are in SD do it don't even think about it.

On the sets we have done, calibration helps quite a bit
post #299 of 1646 Old 10-01-2011, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Stopped in a Local Frys this morning and viewed the 7035U in both 3D & 2D.

The floor display did not suffer from any visual clouding, banding, or excessive blooming. However the corner vignetting was quite apparent on lighter scenes as others have noted but probably not a dealbreaker. Even though i know the grandkids would enjoy the minimal 3D content available i could easily do without it and get the 7034U & save around $800 if you count the required 3D BD player and glasses. PQ appears to be not much better then my Samsung 55" A950 LED that dont suffer from any corner vignetting but the 70" is appealing for folks like myself that have a 16ft. viewing distance.

IMHO this Sharp does indeed provide "Bang for your Buck" considering i paid the same price for the much smaller 55A950 in July 09` when the prices had dropped significantly on it and the Sony XBR8. I did also view the 70" Elite at BB and while it does produce great blacks and i could afford it, no way would i spend the money they want for it but thats just me.

Regards,
post #300 of 1646 Old 10-01-2011, 02:02 PM

Hey folks,
I am interested in the different between the 70-735 and X70. It seems to me that the price difference cannot come anywhere close to justifying the picture quality difference. After all, they share the same LCD, and in ambient lighting (daytime) conditions, the difference has got to be pretty minimal. For those who have compared both sets, what is your considered opinion?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page