Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1646 Old 11-15-2011, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnemyAce View Post

I'm not sure if I'm being too picky here, but I've noticed after having my set for a few days now that when watching 3D material, there seems to be a lack of depth. I'm not sure if my expectations were set too high, but I was expecting the same sort of 3D experience you get at the theatre. That is, objects appearing so close to your face that you reach out to touch them. I haven't experienced that with this set and am wondering if it's normal or if I may need to calibrate/adjust a setting? Or, is it the source material that is to blame?

Did you experiment with different viewing distances?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1646 Old 11-15-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WireJockey View Post

Did you experiment with different viewing distances?

A bit, I stood as far back as about 8ft, then walked really close to around 2-3ft and didn't notice any change. I also stood to the sides and went above and below level viewing area. Granted I've only tried a few DVD's and the test screen in the 3D settings so it may be source material.

Are you seeing a good deal of depth with yours?
post #453 of 1646 Old 11-15-2011, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

I'm not sure if I'm being too picky here, but I've noticed after having my set for a few days now that when watching 3D material, there seems to be a lack of depth. I'm not sure if my expectations were set too high, but I was expecting the same sort of 3D experience you get at the theatre. That is, objects appearing so close to your face that you reach out to touch them. I haven't experienced that with this set and am wondering if it's normal or if I may need to calibrate/adjust a setting? Or, is it the source material that is to blame?

If you think about it, 3D movies have three zones: In front of the screen, on the screen, and behind the screen. The classic 3D movies loved to poke objects out in front of the screen to scare the audience. In most of the recent 3D films I've seen in theaters, the in-front-of-screen zone isn't used very much. Just on screen and behind the screen.

Robbin
post #454 of 1646 Old 11-15-2011, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I agree, the depth is usually behind the screen in today's releases, not in front of. But check out "Tangled" - the scene where the lanterns are launched - there is a couple of out-of-the-screen toward your face floating lanterns. And a couple of similar scenes in "How To Train Your Dragon". But generally, the depth goes deeper behind.
post #455 of 1646 Old 11-15-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moovtune View Post

I agree, the depth is usually behind the screen in today's releases, not in front of. But check out "Tangled" - the scene where the lanterns are launched - there is a couple of out-of-the-screen toward your face floating lanterns. And a couple of similar scenes in "How To Train Your Dragon". But generally, the depth goes deeper behind.

Thanks guys I definitely will. I seem to recall the closing credits to Despicable Me doing the same. Minions in your face. I'll test it out.
post #456 of 1646 Old 11-15-2011, 02:01 PM

Liked: 13
Hey guys,

I got my 70-735U about a week ago and really like it. I mounted it on my living room wall (picture attached) so the set-up is pretty great.

I wanted a bigger TV, this one replaced my Samsung 55c8000 which I was happy with as well.

I do have a problem with my TV which I noticed right after I started testing it.
It's a bit hard to explain but it seems that whenever there are bright scenes and a lot of white on the screen, there are some darker "clouds" that appear as if they are one layer below.

It feels like when there is movement on bright surfaces, there is a texture underneath. Like not all the pixels are equally lit.

This is very frustrating and makes watching many scenes irritating. I have no problem with dark schemes, the TV has no clouding effects or like leakage.

I have no idea what this thing is and was wondering if any of yo experienced it or have an idea.

I did report it to Sharp and they are still investigating.
I have 8 more days before I can return my TV to BB but I really don't want to, I like this TV.

Thank you all for you time!
LL
LL
post #457 of 1646 Old 11-15-2011, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurt View Post

Hey guys,

I got my 70-735U about a week ago and really like it. I mounted it on my living room wall (picture attached) so the set-up is pretty great.

I wanted a bigger TV, this one replaced my Samsung 55c8000 which I was happy with as well.

I do have a problem with my TV which I noticed right after I started testing it.
It's a bit hard to explain but it seems that whenever there are bright scenes and a lot of white on the screen, there are some darker "clouds" that appear as if they are one layer below.

It feels like when there is movement on bright surfaces, there is a texture underneath. Like not all the pixels are equally lit.

This is very frustrating and makes watching many scenes irritating. I have no problem with dark schemes, the TV has no clouding effects or like leakage.

I have no idea what this thing is and was wondering if any of yo experienced it or have an idea.

I did report it to Sharp and they are still investigating.
I have 8 more days before I can return my TV to BB but I really don't want to, I like this TV.

Thank you all for you time!

Sounds like classic "Dirty Screen Effect" -- inconsistances in the backlighting caused by subtle variation in the LED light output and the defuser layer itself.

All LCD sets do this to some degree. I see this on my 732 -- it seems that Sharp's full array LED scheme brings this out worse than other designs. Certainly the large panel size gives you more opportunity to see it.

Some people don't notice this effect and it drives others nuts. Individual preference.

Robbin
post #458 of 1646 Old 11-15-2011, 03:17 PM

Hey Robbin,

Would Sharp consider this a defect? Or is this to just be expected from LED TVs?
I can't stop noticing it and am really bothered by it.
If this can not be resolved I may have to return the TV, no idea what to get instead of it though.

Thanks again.
post #459 of 1646 Old 11-15-2011, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Hey Robbin,

Would Sharp consider this a defect? Or is this to just be expected from LED TVs?
If this can not be resolved I may have to return the TV, no idea what to get instead of it though.

Thanks again.

I observe a similar effect on my Sony HX929. It doesn't bother me though as I try not to notice it - and it works for me, lol. I don't think you would be able to find an LCD TV without a DSE effect - unless you want to spend $$$ on Sharp Elite - the owners seem to be saying DSE is almost non-existing on the Elite sets. I personally am waiting for Black Friday sales - if I like the price - the 735 will be mine
post #460 of 1646 Old 11-15-2011, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
It's rare when you see a deep discount on an upper end tv on black Friday. It's the cheap sets that get an even cheaper price tag.

Lot's of low rent stuff stacked up into a medium rent pile.
post #461 of 1646 Old 11-15-2011, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, who knows - only a few days left until Black Friday. I'll have my wallet ready just in case!
post #462 of 1646 Old 11-15-2011, 08:16 PM

I'm joining the club; ordered mine today. I gave up on black Friday expectations figuring it would be great to have it up an running over the Holiday with Family and friends visiting. I'll use it mostly for regular 2D but it will be fun to play with 3D as well. Any recommendations for inexpensive 3D glasses that are comfortable and work well? Also, my receiver is not 3D ready, so I figure I'll just bypass it for 3D video and return the audio via a digital optical cable. Is anyone else doing this? Any issues?
post #463 of 1646 Old 11-15-2011, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm doing this with my 55HX929 and an older Onkyo receiver. HDMI from PS3 to TV, and optical from PS3 to Onkyo. No issues, except that I have to switch inputs manually - which I don't considder even a minor inconvenience
post #464 of 1646 Old 11-15-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qodfathr View Post

Anyone have an opinion on the PQ between the LC-70LE735U and the LC-60LE835U? I'd love the larger screen, but not at the scarifice of noticable loss of PQ. The TV is going into a room with no windows. I'd say a majority (65%) of viewing will take place with some degree of illumination on in the room, with movies generally viewed in darkness. Video game playing will also be split between darkness (mainly FPSs) and illumination (Kinect, party games, etc.) I would say that I'm probably the only one in the house that will notice any PQ issue, and the majority of my viewing when I care about PQ will be in darking settings.

I've also got my eye on the Panny TC-P65VT30. Having a difficult time choosing between these three.

Obviously, I've decided that 3D is a must-have, but, honestly, I couldn't tell you why. But the kids tell me they want it, and I look forward to trying out gaming in 3D, so why not?

One of the great features with the 70735 is that there is almost no glare. My family room is bright during the dat and the Sharp is a huge improvement glare wise over the Samsung it replaced.
post #465 of 1646 Old 11-15-2011, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hey Robbin,

Thanks again.

You can certainly give Sharp a call and see what they say. Can't hurt.

In my opinion, they won't consider DSE a defect. Almost every LCD has it to some degree (maybe except for the Elite).

Robbin
post #466 of 1646 Old 11-15-2011, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbinMerritt View Post

You can certainly give Sharp a call and see what they say. Can't hurt.

In my opinion, they won't consider DSE a defect. Almost every LCD has it to some degree (maybe except for the Elite).

Sharp is swapping my elite because of a subtle dse effect...I returned my 735 initially because it had far worse dse and dark corners. The elite is a lot better but for the price I expect perfection. Sharp essentially agreed. Not sure how they would handle the 735, but it's worth a shot.

I watch a lot of hockey, which reveals dse more than any other content.
post #467 of 1646 Old 11-16-2011, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougSmith View Post

I'm joining the club; ordered mine today. I gave up on black Friday expectations figuring it would be great to have it up an running over the Holiday with Family and friends visiting. I'll use it mostly for regular 2D but it will be fun to play with 3D as well. Any recommendations for inexpensive 3D glasses that are comfortable and work well? Also, my receiver is not 3D ready, so I figure I'll just bypass it for 3D video and return the audio via a digital optical cable. Is anyone else doing this? Any issues?

I picked up the dmp-bdt310 blu-ray player from panasonic. It has two hdmi outputs one I can run to the 735 and the other I can run to my Onkyo 876 that dosent have 3D. It gives you the best of everything.
post #468 of 1646 Old 11-16-2011, 10:11 AM

Yes GURT, my set has that DSE problem as well. Wish it wasn't there and will probably pay more attention to that issue with the next set I buy, but for now it's not uncommon on LCD sets. You'll have to learn to live with it or return the set I'm afraid.
post #469 of 1646 Old 11-16-2011, 12:00 PM

Hello All,

I've had my 735 for a few weeks now and thought I could give some prospective buyers (and users) another opinion to add to the pile.

First, I do care a bit about PQ as I'm sure anyone who visits this forum does. Let me state emphatically if you haven't already gleaned it from the earlier sixteen pages--the 735 is not by any stretch a perfect system. It is really a compromise between best possible at this size for this price. Having had it for a few weeks now I can say:

Definite minuses are:
--'dirty screen effect' DSE is noticeable. I've noticed it more over time--one of those things you can't unsee once you see it. An usually during pans with solid background.
--does have some clouds which are visible when the screen is solid dark. Practically unnoticeable if there is any activity going on on the screen even in dark shots.
--doesn't seem to handle gradients of darkness very well. Dark areas can be banded or show pixelation a bit. This varies per source.

Non issues:
--Dark corners. Smaller and less pronounced than I thought they would be after reading this forum before my purchase. Yes when you have a solid bright or white screen if you look you can see a bit of darkness in the corners. Honestly the screen is so huge and the darkness is so gradual in the corners that your eyes are stressed to comprehend the whole of the screen and tend to be focused on the center. Doesn't take away anything really. Has never been an issue during any movie, tv, or video game.

Positives:
--General Picture Quality. When viewing TV shows, Movies etc. The picture just pops, the colors are bright, the details come through amazing and clear. There's definitely a 'wow' factor. The amount of different presets they give you: standard, movie, game, user, dynamic etc. are impressive and make it easy and quick to match to what you are watching. I've tried a couple of the detail settings posted on the forum here in 'movie' mode but didn't like them at all. The standard mode just looked better than the tweaked-out movie mode which looked too yellow-y and muted.
--3D. 3D just works! I've been able to watch 3D movies both animated 'Coraline, Tangled' and live 'Avatar, Imax sea' etc. and the 3D is outstanding. Ghosting varies depending on the source and in some cases the scene angle, etc. I've got the point where I can note the difference in quality when the 3D was formatted for 3D SBS fairly early in a program. The 2D to 3D conversion actually works pretty well too. Not anywhere near as good as real 3D, but I had fun playing 3D Skyrim etc. on Xbox. Active glasses will give you a headache after a bit tho. The 3D glasses' (An-3dg20) functionality to swtich to 2D while in 3D mode is very useful and has been used by everyone in the family at least once at one time or another. A nice feature this TV has is it pings you every hour you've been running continuous 3D.

Ironically I've never actually used a 3D Blueray yet on this TV. For those of you who are interested, I've worked out how to stream 3D MKV (SBS) files from my PC (on TVersity) wirelessly in the next room to my TV via xbox (connected via component video cables!) and MP4 (SBS) files through iTunes/Apple TV via HDMI. I just have to click 3D on the remote and tell the TV to go to SBS.

So in the end I was torn. Cool picture and 3D, but with some noticeable trade offs. I got the TV for a shade less than $3k but I had to do a bit of driving to do it. Now that I'm past the 'picking apart the defects' phase I'll probably settle in and keep the TV, accept its limitations, because I'm pretty happy on the whole.
post #470 of 1646 Old 11-16-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:

Tell me more about the SBS conversion. Is this TV capable of playing backed up 3D MKV over DLNA?

Yes. Even wirelessly. However not directly--although I could get the TV's native DLNA to recognize ps3 media server and Serviio (wouldnt see Tversity) I couldn't get it to play any of my MKV MP4 or AVI. I did get it to play 3D when streamed through ATV2 and Xbox360.
post #471 of 1646 Old 11-16-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:

Hey Robbin,

Thanks again.

Go return it for another before your grace period is gone. This much money I would not play any games. That is just my opinnion.
post #472 of 1646 Old 11-16-2011, 02:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladi123456 View Post

Well, who knows - only a few days left until Black Friday. I'll have my wallet ready just in case!

All the Black Friday adds are up online at different siyes, Just the LC-70LE632U has special pricing that I saw.
post #473 of 1646 Old 11-16-2011, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

All the Black Friday adds are up online at different siyes, Just the LC-70LE632U has special pricing that I saw.

I'm not really sure if I'm happy about that or not, lol. I guess I'll just wait for CES to see what to expect in 2012. I'll still have my wallet ready though just in case, haha - for some unexpected sale or something
post #474 of 1646 Old 11-17-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infiniteya View Post

I've tried a couple of the detail settings posted on the forum here in 'movie' mode but didn't like them at all. The standard mode just looked better than the tweaked-out movie mode which looked too yellow-y and muted.

Your preference is probably for a brighter image leaning more toward the blue side of the color temp scale. I have a "standard" setup that I preferred for awhile as well, but after making myself stick with the "movie mode" settings as generously posted after an ISF calibration by one of our forum 735 owners a few pages back I've come to appreciate those settings over my previously preferred "standard" setting. The caucasian flesh tones seem to be spot-on in my set and if you take a look at skin you can see there is plenty of "yellow" in it. It's not all pink/red/white etc. Since your set for standard anyway, try setting up "movie mode" with the posted settings and try it for awhile (at least with movies - maybe not sports) and see if it grows on you. Post #392, then #417, then try my modification #428 (with a change of brightness now at -3 instead of -2)
post #475 of 1646 Old 11-19-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:

Hey Robbin,

Thanks again.

Return it while you can. I had an offending DSE and my new one has no issues with DSE, just clouding :P BTW what wall mount did you use?
post #476 of 1646 Old 11-20-2011, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

got this unit about 2 weeks ago for 2800 shipped with 2 free AN-3DG20B glasses. this unit is awesome with sharp pictures and deep blacks. 3D is engrossing.
post #477 of 1646 Old 11-20-2011, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I hate asking these questions but it is reasonable given the lack of being able to properly calibrate TV's at Magnolia..

Between the Elite 70 (with local dimming) and the 70E735 (3D) version we are taling about 1/2 the price if not less

Is there a good comparison of black levels, contrast etc with proper calibration? The ELITE always looks great and I can instantly tell the 735 series are on blow out mode.

I mainly want for
1. Gaming (High end PC/XBOX0
2. Movies (BLu-ray)
3. TV (HTPC CalbeCard etc)

Thanks if anyone has compared them under reasonable conditions
post #478 of 1646 Old 11-20-2011, 09:22 AM

I just picked up the 735u from American last night. I was able to get them down on the price only $100 more than the 734u and it also came with 2 sets of glasses and a BR player.

Thanks for the info on calibration. Took some digging as there are many many pages to go through and too much discussion/comparisons of other sets. It makes finding relevant info difficult. I would suggest that known issues and/or calibration postings be copied and stickied to the first page of the thread. Out of the box on standard this thing looks great. Skin tones actually aren't that far off, but the soap opera affect of the 240 is annoying (but I knew that) just hadn't found the setting to turn it off yet.

One thing I'm concerned about if I have a bad wireless adapter or not.
I have played with this thing for awhile and I have been trying to get the wireless to my router. One issue I have is it seems to randomly not see my router or even try to look. When you hit search it just immediately comes back with "no wireless access points found". When it does see the router, rather than come back immediately, it says "searching" and it is full 5 bars. It is almost like it just doesn't scan the first couple times.

It also will not connect by manually inputting the router info, however it will connect if you use a WPS code. I am not sure why that is except that the first couple of times it tries to connect it can't find the router(or ANY router), and you can immediate tell it to try again and it finds it after the 3rd or 4th try. Once it is connected it is fine up until you turn the TV off and I have to go through the whole thing again.

I don't think it's due to security - unless there is some hidden setting that goes beyond WPA on the TV (like telling it the router is set to use WPA AES), which who knows there might be. I think what annoys me most is that there is no "test connection" only "edit" and "initialize"

Any ideas or known issues there?

Otherwise, so far I am loving this set!
post #479 of 1646 Old 11-20-2011, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Where do you guys find deals like that??? Lol, I must be looking in the wrong places - free glasses and all?
post #480 of 1646 Old 11-20-2011, 03:57 PM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Film mode off = No SOE.

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page