Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1646 Old 11-28-2011, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgehring View Post

Tom, care to share your calibration settings? I've got my close, but still needs a bit more brightening and I could use some guidance.

Hi Kurt,

I'm not sure if I am the Tom that you are referring to, but in case I am, here are the settings I used. Note that prior to doing my own calibration I tried using a few other people's posted calibration settings to see how they would work on my TV and I was not happy with the results of any of them. That experiment leads me to believe that each set is unique to a certain degree and what works for one may not work for another, but this is just my opinion.

I certainly do not claim to be anything more than an educated consumer and an electronics buff, but in my opinion the secret to getting the colors just right using the calibration disc is the use of the included blue filter. Getting the test patterns correct using that blue filter made all the difference in getting the colors perfect, and to my eye they look perfect to me in everything that I have watched so far.

One thing I have noticed is that on certain content from Comcast Cable and when streaming certain content from Netflix, the picture sometimes appears to be a bit too dark in certain dark scenes and for those particular programs I have temporarily increased my brightness level or Gama level a bit to compensate, but these unusually dark scenes seem to be content related and not characteristic of the shows I normally watch.

In any event here are the settings that are working well for me:

Sharp 735U Calibration Settings Using Disney's Blu-Ray WOW Disc

Calibration was done in the USER Mode

OPC = Off
Backlight = 0 (Standard)
Contrast = 32
Brightness =0
Color = +2
Tint = +5
Sharpness = +4

SMS - Hue
+3
+6
+4

CMS Saturation
All set to 0

CMS Value
+30
+3

Color Temp = Middle ...... and all settings at 0
Motion = 240
Quad Pixel = On
Active Contrast = Off
Gama = 0
Film Mode = Off
DNR = Auto
Monochrome = Off
Range of OPC = N/A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1646 Old 11-28-2011, 04:47 PM

Has anyone here used the following glasses with the sharp lc70le635u?: GBSG03-JP: iTrek Active Shutter 3D Glasses for Sharp AQUOS 3D TV.

I called Sharp today to ask for a list of compatible glasses for the 735. The customer service rep at sharp first asked me whether the set came with glasses. I told him that I didn't know, but was surprised that he did not know either. He then game me a part number (#KOPTLA002WJN1) and then told me to call their parts supplier, Vance Baldwin Electronics. This all seems very strange to me. I just want to know what my options are for glasses for this TV. The glasses mentioned above seem to get good reviews on Amazon, and are only about $62/pair, but I can't tell if they are compatible with the 735.

Help! Any advice/guidance would be appreciated. I apologize if this has been previously addressed.

Thanks!
post #543 of 1646 Old 11-29-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Keegan View Post

Hi Kurt,

I'm not sure if I am the Tom that you are referring to, but in case I am, here are the settings I used. Note that prior to doing my own calibration I tried using a few other people's posted calibration settings to see how they would work on my TV and I was not happy with the results of any of them. That experiment leads me to believe that each set is unique to a certain degree and what works for one may not work for another, but this is just my opinion.

I certainly do not claim to be anything more than an educated consumer and an electronics buff, but in my opinion the secret to getting the colors just right using the calibration disc is the use of the included blue filter. Getting the test patterns correct using that blue filter made all the difference in getting the colors perfect, and to my eye they look perfect to me in everything that I have watched so far.

One thing I have noticed is that on certain content from Comcast Cable and when streaming certain content from Netflix, the picture sometimes appears to be a bit too dark in certain dark scenes and for those particular programs I have temporarily increased my brightness level or Gama level a bit to compensate, but these unusually dark scenes seem to be content related and not characteristic of the shows I normally watch.

Some of it simply comes down to personal preference. My wife and I argued for 30 minutes comparing the picture of 2 tv's in a store. She hated the picture on the one I liked and I thought the one she liked had a horrible picture as well. To me it was an obvious choice, but apparently we saw them differently. -- of course, we both agree the 735 picture is great, although I think she'd have been just as happy with something much cheaper with lower quality.
post #544 of 1646 Old 11-29-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zablon View Post

Some of it simply comes down to personal preference. My wife and I argued for 30 minutes comparing the picture of 2 tv's in a store. She hated the picture on the one I liked and I thought the one she liked had a horrible picture as well. To me it was an obvious choice, but apparently we saw them differently. -- of course, we both agree the 735 picture is great, although I think she'd have been just as happy with something much cheaper with lower quality.

I know what you mean. My other half likes my new 735, but is just as content to watch the 14 year old, 20" tube TV that we have in the eat in kitchen.

On another note, the Avatar 3D Blue-Ray, that I bought at a good price from a seller on eBay, arrived in perfect condition today. I quickly loaded it into my PS3 player and was blown away by the picture quality and realism of the 3D. It is nothing short of amazing to watch on this Sharp 735.
post #545 of 1646 Old 11-29-2011, 01:21 PM

For those of you who don't already own the 735, I thought that I would show a few screen shots of some scenes with dark backgrounds & light foregrounds to show how nicely the 735 handles reproducing the images.

The photos are untouched except for being dramatically shrunk in size to fit onto the AVS server.

Again, the photos do not really do the TV justice as the images appear much better in person, but it should give you an idea of the picture quality of this TV.
LL
LL
LL
post #546 of 1646 Old 11-29-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:

I know what you mean. My other half likes my new 735, but is just as content to watch the 14 year old, 20" tube TV that we have in the eat in kitchen.

On another note, the Avatar 3D Blue-Ray, that I bought at a good price from a seller on eBay, arrived in perfect condition today. I quickly loaded it into my PS3 player and was blown away by the picture quality and realism of the 3D. It is nothing short of amazing to watch on this Sharp 735.

So, I had this question to retailers and no one could really answer it for me. Is there a noticeable difference in a 3D blu-ray vs the same movie but non 3D on blu-ray but using the TV's built in 3D converter? I am still waiting for my 3D glasses to come in, and have Avatar on Blu-Ray already. I would assume there is some 3D to be had just as is...
post #547 of 1646 Old 11-29-2011, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The built-in converter doesn't come close to real 3D - but "real" 3D varies depending on the conversion quality since many 3D movies were not originally 3D to begin with. But Disney has been doing a great job converting their animated titles. Avatar and the last Resident Evil film of course were filmed in 3D and look great. The converter's effect though varies from shot to shot within a film and can create some odd depth anomalies.
post #548 of 1646 Old 11-29-2011, 03:36 PM

teebo2345

pm sent
post #549 of 1646 Old 11-29-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zablon View Post

So, I had this question to retailers and no one could really answer it for me. Is there a noticeable difference in a 3D blu-ray vs the same movie but non 3D on blu-ray but using the TV's built in 3D converter? I am still waiting for my 3D glasses to come in, and have Avatar on Blu-Ray already. I would assume there is some 3D to be had just as is...

I agree with Moovtune's response to your question. The 2D to 3D conversion that the TV is capable of doing is kind of like trying to "simulate" a 3D movie. There is an adjustment in the TV's 3D menu for how much "conversion effect you want. I have played with this feature quite a bit over the past week and have viewed a wide range of the 2D to 3D effect which is dependent on the content you're watching and the strength of the conversion effect you have selected. While it is nowhere as good a true 3D, I have found it to interesting and fun to use on some of the shows I watch.
post #550 of 1646 Old 11-30-2011, 05:26 AM

I decided to buy this tv earlier than I thought I would, purchased from Future Shop in Canada for 3200. I have a question for the gamers, what calibration settings are you using for the picture when playing games? Movie? Dynamic? or just "game" mode in the menu?
post #551 of 1646 Old 11-30-2011, 07:23 AM

Slightly off subject, but is the 735 (quad) having better, same, worse off-angle viewing than say a 635 (tri-color)?
post #552 of 1646 Old 11-30-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegill12345 View Post

I decided to buy this tv earlier than I thought I would, purchased from Future Shop in Canada for 3200. I have a question for the gamers, what calibration settings are you using for the picture when playing games? Movie? Dynamic? or just "game" mode in the menu?

Hi Mike,

I live in the GTA area. This is a great price for this TV in Canada. I know that the Future Shop does not even mention this on their online inventory. They only have the LE732.

Did you also get the 3D glasses from them and for how much?
post #553 of 1646 Old 11-30-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WireJockey View Post

Slightly off subject, but is the 735 (quad) having better, same, worse off-angle viewing than say a 635 (tri-color)?

I cannot compare the two but have some useful information.

1. The off axis viewing sucks. Out of the box, maybe 10 to 12 degrees (each side) before you started to notice a loss of saturation.
2. After a professonal calibration, with quad off, the angle improved quite a bit. 20 or so degrees before the saturation loss was noticable. (my wife noticed the difference) Out of the box the cailbration was OK at best. After calibration, the PQ it is fantastic.
3. I am doing another calibration with quad on this weekend and let you know if it improves again.
post #554 of 1646 Old 11-30-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DMANIAC View Post

Hi Mike,

I live in the GTA area. This is a great price for this TV in Canada. I know that the Future Shop does not even mention this on their online inventory. They only have the LE732.

Did you also get the 3D glasses from them and for how much?

3DMANIAC
It was 3200 before taxes, after the HST it came to about 3600 dollars,(bought in Victoria, BC) I have not purchased the glasses yet. The few places I checked did not advertise the television at all. I went to the sharp website and got a list of retailers.

One place that was recommended from my co-worker tried to convince me that I should buy a 65 inch 3d LG which was slightly cheaper than the 735, I didn't go for it, I dont like the 3d technology they use.
post #555 of 1646 Old 12-01-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duworm View Post

I cannot compare the two but have some useful information.

3. I am doing another calibration with quad on this weekend and let you know if it improves again.

Thanks...the world is waiting!
post #556 of 1646 Old 12-01-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegill12345 View Post

3DMANIAC
It was 3200 before taxes, after the HST it came to about 3600 dollars,(bought in Victoria, BC) I have not purchased the glasses yet. The few places I checked did not advertise the television at all. I went to the sharp website and got a list of retailers.

One place that was recommended from my co-worker tried to convince me that I should buy a 65 inch 3d LG which was slightly cheaper than the 735, I didn't go for it, I dont like the 3d technology they use.

MikeGill,

Wow, my hats off to you. That is an excellent price. I did manage to find this TV on Futureshop's website listed for $3,999. So you haggled for $800. BestBuy got it for $3,850 which is a sales price.

I got the TV, Sharp 3D BluRay Player and 4 pairs of glasses for $3,999 which prices the TV around $3,400.

You must be talking about the LG 65LW6500 which is advertized as a 240 HZ TV but in fact is 120HZ. The 55 inch version is much nicer. Regardless, passive glasses cut the resolution in half. You should get the 3D glasses as your TV really shines with 3D content. Your jaws will drop.

I thought one would get the best prices in the GTA as far as the Canadian prices are concerned. I have been proven wrong. Victoria rocks! By the way, we visited your city in July 2011. It is very lovely.
post #557 of 1646 Old 12-01-2011, 02:25 PM

Hey all. Just getting to return my new Samsung 64 inch Plasma to amazon. Loved the picture but all I do is game..I couldnt stand the idea of IR and possible burn-in. I definitely saw it with the Samsung. Anyways..is the Sharp a good tv for gaming? I hate when on tv's the scene moves fast and you have blur..didnt know if anyone had opions on this tv for video games..
post #558 of 1646 Old 12-01-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DMANIAC View Post

MikeGill,

Wow, my hats off to you. That is an excellent price. I did manage to find this TV on Futureshop's website listed for $3,999. So you haggled for $800. BestBuy got it for $3,850 which is a sales price.

I got the TV, Sharp 3D BluRay Player and 4 pairs of glasses for $3,999 which prices the TV around $3,400.

You must be talking about the LG 65LW6500 which is advertized as a 240 HZ TV but in fact is 120HZ. The 55 inch version is much nicer. Regardless, passive glasses cut the resolution in half. You should get the 3D glasses as your TV really shines with 3D content. Your jaws will drop.

I thought one would get the best prices in the GTA as far as the Canadian prices are concerned. I have been proven wrong. Victoria rocks! By the way, we visited your city in July 2011. It is very lovely.

I was just looking at a 732 version that future shop had on display, one of the sales clerks comes up to me and starts talking about the 732, I told him I wanted the 735; he went to his computer and said he could do it for me for 3200, no haggling. I went to best buy, they would only match it, not even discount it further so I went with future shop. I really thought the local smal business stores would give me a better deal but they wouldn't match it.
post #559 of 1646 Old 12-01-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradertravi View Post

Hey all. Just getting to return my new Samsung 64 inch Plasma to amazon. Loved the picture but all I do is game..I couldnt stand the idea of IR and possible burn-in. I definitely saw it with the Samsung. Anyways..is the Sharp a good tv for gaming? I hate when on tv's the scene moves fast and you have blur..didnt know if anyone had opions on this tv for video games..

I've been gaming quite a bit on it(with a pc via hdmi). Colors are bright, no blur that I've seen and I leave it on 120hz high.

I have discovered though that some types of PC games just don't go with a TV this big lol. First person and action type games are awesome on it though.
post #560 of 1646 Old 12-02-2011, 05:43 AM

Quote:

Hello everyone,

My current TV, up until last week, had been the 65" Mitsubishi High Definition Rear Projection TV, model # WS-65813 Diamond Series. It was Mitsubishi's top of the line TV at the time and arguably one of the best performing HDTV's in 2004, (when I purchased it new), and it is still working like new today. I'm one of those people who didn't need a new TV, but wanted a new, slim TV so I spent the past few months researching which one to buy. After spending countless hours on forums and reading endless reviews on different models and after viewing many of the contenders in person, I chose the Sharp Aquos LC-70LE735U and am so glad that I did.

Once I decided on which TV to buy the next decision was where to buy it from. Both Amazon & my local Best Buy Store were selling it for about the same price, which was more than I wanted to pay for it. Online searching located several other options for purchasing wherein I could save as much as $600.00 or more over Amazon & Best Buy's prices. However this savings comes with a trade off. At Amazon & Best Buy you can return the TV if you don't like it or there is a problem with it, but with the online stores you are stuck with it and your only options is having Sharp come out to fix any problem or replace the set if it is unfixable. There were no return options with the discounted online stores that I located.

After careful consideration I decided on an online store which was in the state next to mine. I knew that I was taking a chance, but asked myself that famous Clint Eastwood question from Dirty Harry...."Do you feel lucky!". I did so I took the chance and placed the order. I am happy to report that my TV arrived in perfect condition five days ago without so much as a mark on the box it came in. I don't know if it is because I am getting older or not, but I must say the TV felt heavier than the 99 pounds it is listed at.

Anyway, on the same day that I ordered the TV I had measured the height from the floor in my living room to where my face is located while sitting on the couch. I then used that measurement to calculate how high of a stand I would need so that my face would be perfectly centered in the screen of this TV during normal viewing. Based on those measurements I purchased a cabinet that stood exactly 17" high. When I put the TV on top it, using the stand that came with the TV, it lined up perfectly for my seated viewing position on the couch, with my eyes being dead center to the height of the screen. From the TV screen to my face is 10 feet and for me it seems like a perfect distance for both regular & 3D viewing of a TV of this size.

Moving on to the calibration of this new TV. During my research I also checked into all of the available calibration DVD's that were available for self calibration of a TV. I am aware that this is not as good as paying professional to do it, but for my purpose, it will suffice since my viweing preferences may not exactly match that of a hired calibrator. I decided to go with the new Disney WOW Calibration Disc in Blu-Ray. It is in stock & very reasonably priced at Amazon.com. Anyway I spent several hours with this disc and am so glad that I bought it. I can't say enough good things about it. It was easy to use and had a lot of powerful tools on it to assist in making your TV the best that it can be when doing the calibration yourself.

After I was all finished with the calibration I sat back & viewed the fruits of my labor while watching the "Experience" part of the Disney WOW Calibration Disc. For those of you who don't know, the Experience" part of the disc is a series of clips from different Disney movies that will really show off the picture details & colors of your new set. All I can say of OMG....I couldn't believe how fantastic this TV looked! I am so glad that I bought it over the other TV brands available. I have posted some still shots that I took of a few of the clips off the TV. As nice as the photos are, they do not do justice to how nice they look on the TV in person.

The next thing I tried out was the 3D capabilities. The TV did not come with any glasses so I bought 4 of them, (Sharp AN-3DG20-B), brand new, from a dealer on eBay for $86.00 each with free shipping. They arrived in perfect condition. They are lightweight and fit well over my prescription glasses. Since I don't own any 3D movies I used the On Demand feature of my Comcast Service and watched some of their free 3D content. All I can say again is OMG. The 3D is outstanding! I was blown away and so were a few friends who came over to check out the new TV.

Is this TV perfect....no. If you look for faults you will eventually find some minor ones on certain content, but this is true of all TV's. In my humble opinion is about as close to perfect as you can get with today's technology at this price point.

Maybe I'm just lucky & got an exceptionally good set I don't know. What I can say is that on the packaging that came with my TV, directly under the serial number there is this letter, printed exactly like this: -B-
I'm not sure it that means anything or not, but I can tell you that this TV came with the latest firmware already installed. When I tried to update it, I was told that there were no new updates available.

I am one VERY HAPPY 735 owner !

Regards,
Tom

PS: Just before posting this review, I just finished watching the X-Factor on Comcast Cable and was just blown away by the sharpness, color depth, details & black levels displayed by this TV. It was in a word....AWESOME !

Hi Tom,

My TV box and the manual bag have the letter B beside the serial number. I hope this B does not represent a "B stock." I am very pleased with the TV and have not encountered any quality issues so far. I hope it stays this way. The quality concerns that have been raised on this thread are disheartening. One should not go through it after dropping $3K for a TV.

Onto a different matter. I realize that one can not get rid of the sopa opera effect completely. I have turned off the Motion Flow, set to Film Mode and the AV Mode is in Standard. I still get some SOE. Can I still reduce it? Any tips would be appreciated.
post #561 of 1646 Old 12-02-2011, 06:08 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Film mode OFF?

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
post #562 of 1646 Old 12-02-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Has anyone here used the following glasses with the sharp lc70le635u?: GBSG03-JP: iTrek Active Shutter 3D Glasses for Sharp AQUOS 3D TV.

I called Sharp today to ask for a list of compatible glasses for the 735. The customer service rep at sharp first asked me whether the set came with glasses. I told him that I didn't know, but was surprised that he did not know either. He then game me a part number (#KOPTLA002WJN1) and then told me to call their parts supplier, Vance Baldwin Electronics. This all seems very strange to me. I just want to know what my options are for glasses for this TV. The glasses mentioned above seem to get good reviews on Amazon, and are only about $62/pair, but I can't tell if they are compatible with the 735.

Help! Any advice/guidance would be appreciated. I apologize if this has been previously addressed.

Thanks!

Still looking for some help here. Any suggestions on good quality compatible glasses would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
post #563 of 1646 Old 12-02-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post

Film mode OFF?

I have the Film Mode on under the Advanced Picture Settings so that the TV will recognize the 24 frame signal. However, under the AV mode, I have it at
Standard. This is the option where you toggle through Movie, Game, Standard, etc.
post #564 of 1646 Old 12-02-2011, 01:21 PM

I'm picking up my 735 tomorrow. Can anybody tell me what the actual box dimensions are?
post #565 of 1646 Old 12-02-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hograt View Post

Still looking for some help here. Any suggestions on good quality compatible glasses would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Hograt,

I got my four pairs of Sharp AN-3DG20-B 3D Glasses from this dealer on eBay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sharp-AN-3DG...item27c0e97586 .

When I bought them just two weeks ago each pair was selling for $4.00 LESS than what is currently advertized. They arrived very quickly & in perfect condition. They work great, are lightweight and fit well over my prescription glasses. I highly recommend them.
post #566 of 1646 Old 12-02-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:

Hograt,

I got my four pairs of Sharp AN-3DG20-B 3D Glasses from this dealer on eBay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sharp-AN-3DG...item27c0e97586 .

When I bought them just two weeks ago each pair was selling for $4.00 LESS than what is currently advertized. They arrived very quickly & in perfect condition. They work great, are lightweight and fit well over my prescription glasses. I highly recommend them.

Are those rechargeable?
post #567 of 1646 Old 12-02-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougSmith View Post

Are those rechargeable?

Yes, they are rechargeable. They come with the USB charging cable, a lens cleaning cloth, a cloth storage bag, a user’s manual and a two sizes of detachable nose bridge pads.

This model of 3D glasses also have a 3 way switch built into them with the following settings: Off - 2D - 3D. The switch is useful in case you want to watch a show in 3D, but someone else wants to watch in 2D. Without the glasses the 3D picture will look blurry to the other person, but they can put on the glasses & put the switch in the 2D position and see a nice clear 2D picture while you are watching 3D with your switch in the 3D position.
post #568 of 1646 Old 12-02-2011, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Personally I prefer the battery operated ones. Rechargables are a pain to have to recharge (if you follow the directions correctly), they last about 30 hours on a charge and eventually the rechargable battery will charge less and less and eventually fail. Then what do you do with your expensive glasses. The battery versions last up to 75 hours, then you just change the battery for another 75 hours.
post #569 of 1646 Old 12-02-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moovtune View Post

Personally I prefer the battery operated ones. Rechargables are a pain to have to recharge (if you follow the directions correctly), they last about 30 hours on a charge and eventually the rechargable battery will charge less and less and eventually fail. Then what do you do with your expensive glasses. The battery versions last up to 75 hours, then you just change the battery for another 75 hours.

Are there Sharp ones with batteries, or other kinds that have a 2D option?
post #570 of 1646 Old 12-02-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:

I got my four pairs of Sharp AN-3DG20-B 3D Glasses from this dealer on eBay.

Tom,
Thanks very much for the info. BTW, I found them much cheaper on Amazon, in case you are in the market for extra pairs.

Quote:

I'm picking up my 735 tomorrow. Can anybody tell me what the actual box dimensions are?

Doug,

The box dimensions are 69" x 43.5" x 12"
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page