Forum Jump: 

post #691 of 1646 Old 12-31-2011, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

I have not seen any blurring on football. The real test will be a racing event like Nascar and that does not pick back up till end of Feb.

good to know thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 1646 Old 12-31-2011, 02:20 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoubear View Post

anyone..? sports this set, how does it handle them

Sports and fast action look great on this (and I'm super-sensitive to blurring/judder etc.) There is one setting called "film mode" that essentially is this tv's soap opera mode - disable it. That is why people sometimes see blurring in the stores on these sets is because that's enabled by default.
I have the 734, same set, and I absolutely love it. Once it's dialed, I'd put it up against any set out there.
post #693 of 1646 Old 12-31-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Votinh View Post

Received my 735U yesterday and I'm very pleased with the picture quality compared to the 60LE830U that I returned, except for one issue - there is a small patch of cloud near the bottom right corner. It's not very noticeable and only visible when watching movies in the dark with black bars. I don't know if I should try to get a replacement from Sharp or not as I only watch 3D films without light.

What causes clouding and can it be fixed? I don't mind taking the cover off and loosening or tightening things up if it's caused by assembling problems. The Elite does not seems to have this problem so I'm hoping it's not in the panel.

I'm using Frank/T3b_vat's day settings and wondering if the same settings can be used for 3D mode as well?

Thanks

That is a good question. I suspect the non-uniformities are integral to the panel and would not be affected by subtle imperfections in mounting, etc. I had the same effect on my set - and in the same place. It was not very noticeable, but was significant enough to bug me. I had the set replaced today (I got it from Paul's TV, and they were great about replacing it without any hassles). I couldn't see any problems in the day time with the new set, so it was not until now (dark outside) that I could really check it out again. Well, guess what... there is still a blob in the lower right, and it is now actually a bit larger than it was on the first set. I don't know what will happen if I complain again, but I will probably end up doing so.

On the positive side, the color balance is very much the same as the first set I had and I am getting great results with exactly the same settings I was using before.

Don't get me wrong, I love this TV - and I think the difference between this and the Elite is worth nowhere near the ~2x price difference. There do seem to be consistent, albeit subtle, uniformity issues across the panel(s), however.
post #694 of 1646 Old 12-31-2011, 08:11 PM

Sorry to hear that your replacement set also have the same issue. I also got mine from Paul's through Amazon. I really like mine too even with the imperfections. I think I will keep it as I hate having to go through the trouble of exchanging and end up with a worse set.
post #695 of 1646 Old 01-01-2012, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Has anyone measured input lag for gaming? I searched the "input lag wars" thread and see some
Older sharps have terrible lag.

Anyone playing fast games? Any measured lag?
post #696 of 1646 Old 01-01-2012, 07:49 AM

I keep going back and forth on purchasing this TV or waiting until after CES to see what the new models will bring. A couple of times I've decided to pull the trigger and been met with failure. I've been to multiple stores (Raleigh, NC), and it seems like no one has the TV in stock, they're all stating 5-7 day delivery.

Does anyone think that the TV is truly in short supply or is this normal for something that was readily available earlier last year to suddenly become a hard to find item?
post #697 of 1646 Old 01-01-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafish721 View Post

OK, I have finally dialed in the picture and it looks AWESOME! I used the youtube settings primarily but they omitted a few settings so I added settings from a different pro calibration. Here are my exact settings on the 735.

AV mode--Movie

OPC off (I have been keeping this on during daytime viewing because it makes the picture brighter in full sunlight)

Backlight 0 (standard)
Contrast +38
Brightness -8
Color +8
Tint 0
Sharpness +3

Advanced

CMS Hue
R +11
Y +17
G +11
C +30
B +13
M +1

CMS Saturation
R +7
Y +8
G +8
C +9
B +3
M +3

CMS Value
R +15
Y +20
G +25
C +30
B +4
M +14

Color Gamut Range Standard

Color Temp Low

10 point setting off

R gain(LO) -2
G gain (LO) 0
B gain (LO) +17
R gain (HI) +1
G gain (HI) -9
B gain (HI) +5

Motion Enhancement 120 Low (You can change this to Aquamotion 240 for sports if you want to for fast moving objects like baseball and football but it slightly darkens the screen)

Quad Pixel Plus off
Active Contrast off
Gamma -1
Film Mode off
Digital Noise Reduction off
Monochrome off
Range of OPC Max +16 Min +5

i find these settings to be great, but its too blue and as soon as i try to make changes, it gets to yellow and then to orange... i can't win..
who had the set professionally calibrated and what are your settings
maybe i missed it
post #698 of 1646 Old 01-01-2012, 08:13 AM

I brought my sharp home on Friday. After a couple days of tweaking, I have been really impressed with the color pop. I also have a 52 Sony xbr9 and the colors on on the sharp are much better. The only thing that I have not been crazy about is when watching football I do notice some blurring when the football is being thrown on long passes. It is pretty noticeable. I did not notice it with my Sony but the picture on the sharp is so much bigger that it maybe It is just easier to see. I have the sharp on 120 high. It did not go away with 240 on and I did notice a little better picture with the 120 high on. I have watched transformers and hockey and noticed no blur. Can anybody confirm this observation. Maybe I have a setting that needs to be tweaked. Thanks for the reply and I love this tv!
post #699 of 1646 Old 01-01-2012, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdot View Post

i find these settings to be great, but its too blue and as soon as i try to make changes, it gets to yellow and then to orange... i can't win..
who had the set professionally calibrated and what are your settings
maybe i missed it

Page 14 had settings posted for movie mode by GUTCHECK following an ISF calibration. Below are mostly his settings with my tweaks for the first page of settings after living with the set for a month and playing many types of movies. If you're one who likes "punch" and blown-out overaturated colors and excessive sharping etc. - an "enhanced" mode over a more natural film-like mode, then these settings aren't for you.

AV Mode: Movie
OPC: Off

Backlight: -3
Contrast: +34
Brightness: -6
Color: +4
Tint: -9
Sharpness: +1

Color Gamut Range: Standard

Color Temp: 10 point On
Position +1 Red -12, Green +8, Blue +12
Position +2 Red +14, Green +3, Blue +3
Position +3 Red -10, Green +3, Blue -3
Position +4 Red -10, Green +1, Blue -3
Position +5 Red -9, Green +7, Blue -2
Position +6 Red -11, Green +6, Blue +3
Position +7 Red -7, Green +11, Blue -3
Position +8 Red -10, Green +11, Blue +6
Position +9 Red -7, Green +8, Blue -7
Position +10 Red -29, Green -6, Blue -2

Motion Enhancement: Low
Quad Pixel Plus: On
Active Contrast: Off
Gamma Adjustment: -1
Film Mode: Off
DNR: Off (source dependent)
Monochrome: Off
Hue: +15, 0, 0, +1, 0, 0
Sat: 0, 0, 0, +22, 0, 0
Value: +14, 0, 0, 0, -27, +17

Try these settings when playing the "Creation" chapter from the film "The Tree of Life" and see how they work for you. That chapter, with many scenes filmed in IMAX, covers a wide range of colors and lighting variations. If it seems a little too dull for your taste try changing the Backlight to "Std" or "+3" and for a bit more detail in the black boost brightness to -3. These settings are intended for viewing in a darkened environment with minimum light behind the screen to reduce eye strain, but not enough to cause reflections in the screen. If you switch between these settings and "Standard",they're going to appear dimmer ... but leave it in movie mode and watch various films for awhile and you'll adapt to the look I think. Probably not so good for sports at first, but after you get used to it these settings may work fine for that as well. Just give yourself time to get used to them.
post #700 of 1646 Old 01-01-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durnik View Post

I keep going back and forth on purchasing this TV or waiting until after CES to see what the new models will bring. A couple of times I've decided to pull the trigger and been met with failure. I've been to multiple stores (Raleigh, NC), and it seems like no one has the TV in stock, they're all stating 5-7 day delivery.

Does anyone think that the TV is truly in short supply or is this normal for something that was readily available earlier last year to suddenly become a hard to find item?

Both our local BB and American have this TV (and the 80") in stock which was actually suprising. Of course, Americna even had the 92" Mitsu. Wow what a behemoth

Honestly, this tv is just awesome. Maybe it's because I went from a RPTV to this, but I've had other LCD tv's and they just can't compare.
post #701 of 1646 Old 01-01-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moovtune View Post

Page 14 had settings posted for movie mode by GUTCHECK following an ISF calibration. Below are mostly his settings with my tweaks for the first page of settings after living with the set for a month and playing many types of movies. If you're one who likes "punch" and blown-out overaturated colors and excessive sharping etc. - an "enhanced" mode over a more natural film-like mode, then these settings aren't for you.

AV Mode: Movie
OPC: Off

Backlight: -3
Contrast: +34
Brightness: -6
Color: +4
Tint: -9
Sharpness: +1

Color Gamut Range: Standard

Color Temp: 10 point On
Position +1 Red -12, Green +8, Blue +12
Position +2 Red +14, Green +3, Blue +3
Position +3 Red -10, Green +3, Blue -3
Position +4 Red -10, Green +1, Blue -3
Position +5 Red -9, Green +7, Blue -2
Position +6 Red -11, Green +6, Blue +3
Position +7 Red -7, Green +11, Blue -3
Position +8 Red -10, Green +11, Blue +6
Position +9 Red -7, Green +8, Blue -7
Position +10 Red -29, Green -6, Blue -2

Motion Enhancement: Low
Quad Pixel Plus: On
Active Contrast: Off
Gamma Adjustment: -1
Film Mode: Off
DNR: Off (source dependent)
Monochrome: Off
Hue: +15, 0, 0, +1, 0, 0
Sat: 0, 0, 0, +22, 0, 0
Value: +14, 0, 0, 0, -27, +17

Try these settings when playing the "Creation" chapter from the film "The Tree of Life" and see how they work for you. That chapter, with many scenes filmed in IMAX, covers a wide range of colors and lighting variations. If it seems a little too dull for your taste try changing the Backlight to "Std" or "+3"

ok i will give it a try,

after watching some stuff, Colos are great but, Somethings seem to be a little flat and sometimes the contrast looks a little washed out, especially sports. Overall those are the best settings i tried.. i will def use them for my movie mode, Now to find a great setting for sports
post #702 of 1646 Old 01-02-2012, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

Those who want the best/perfect calibrated picture from their Sharp AND use a htpc as a source can buy the x-rite i1 Display Pro meter and pc software at Amazon for $249. Personally I use gigabit networked pc's in every room with a WMC 7 DVR/NAS with Over-The-Air antenna reception.
With Power DVd 11 Ultra for 2D/3D playback.
Now you can calibration every computer display you own now and for many years. This avoids the $400 charge per display if done manually.
It avoids the $400 additional change if you change your settings on the TV or computer. Just press the button and let the meter recalibrate!

AVS members can understand the benefits of this meter. The Sharps displays need calibration. The color pop, brightness and contrast are taken to a new level.
Its taken x-rite many years to release a meter and software which are technically perfect. There is little chance for error as no human is in the measurement loop.

The calibration controls inside almost all TVs are buggy and coarse in comparison to a look-up table in the PC.

So why not avoid this situation?
It takes almost no knowledge on the user part. All you do is install the software and then hang the meter from the top of the TV then press the Go.

People who have purchased it on Amazon do state they can see the difference. Read the reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Xrite-EODIS3-i...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

Note: one Sharp Setting that destroys picture quality is the Power Saving selection "based upon video content". Everyone disable this immediately.
(After all you just bought the most energy display technology. I'm all for saving energy but not when it destroys the quality of our life!)

How does this unit and software compare to the Spyder Pro or Elite 3 products?
post #703 of 1646 Old 01-03-2012, 05:54 PM

Can a person with little or no knowledge buy one of these meters and actually be able to use it correctly and calibrate a tv by themselves?
post #704 of 1646 Old 01-03-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmorepbj View Post

Can a person with little or no knowledge buy one of these meters and actually be able to use it correctly and calibrate a tv by themselves?

Thread here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ighlight=xrite
post #705 of 1646 Old 01-03-2012, 06:32 PM

Thanks !
post #706 of 1646 Old 01-04-2012, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Does anyone have the actual VESA measurements for wall mounts with these sets? I'm hoping to get one before long, just waiting on a good price. The manual doesn't say, only saying that you should only use the specially-made Sharp mount, which is of course absurd.

I need a good, solid articulating wall mount. Are there any good ones out there that extend farther than 20" from the wall? The only one mentioned earlier in this thread is the $100 Costco mount, which only extends 20". Monoprice has another $100 mount which seems perfect, extending to 30" (and rated to 300#, so well over the 94# of these sets), but it also says it only works with 16" studs, and I seem to recall the studs in the wall in question might be slightly larger than normal, unfortunately. (although I can double check that) Regardless, it says it's minimum VESA mounting pattern is 400x400, and it won't work with anything smaller... thus my need, as a starting point, to know what the VESA mount holes are on the Sharp sets.
post #707 of 1646 Old 01-05-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchmura View Post

Has anyone measured input lag for gaming? I searched the "input lag wars" thread and see some
Older sharps have terrible lag.

Anyone playing fast games? Any measured lag?

I have been playing MW3 for awhile on it and I think the game itself is the problem not the TV

I would love to see some GAME settings though. The standard game mode looks horrible.
post #708 of 1646 Old 01-06-2012, 11:28 AM

I'm kicking around having the BB GeekSquad out for $200, at least I know it'll be as dialed in as possible. Cheaper than buying a meter and I won't have to do the work.

My List
post #709 of 1646 Old 01-06-2012, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I suggest that you try using the AVSHD709 free calibration disk from the display calibration forum and thank alluringreality for saving you about $200 and likely resulting in as good or better result. Then, consider spending a few of the saved $ to purchase a calibration disk that include filters. The caveat is, however, that this could become the start of an obssesion leading to the purchase of calibration meters and software that can involve a rather steep learning curve.
post #710 of 1646 Old 01-06-2012, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 347
I was generally impressed with Sharp's 732 series (see my full length reviews of it and the 632 here on the forum), and the 735 builds on those strengths while adding 3D, 240 Hz processing, and additional calibration adjustments. Are these additional features genuine advancements, and if so, are they worth a premium over Sharp's other already good models?

Personally I find little to no value in Sharp's 240 Hz processing over their 120 Hz processing. It significantly reduced light output, and any advantages it may bring to motion are debatable.

I found the 3D performance to be fine, though it did not overtly impress me either way. Technical measurements in 3D were excellent.

The addition of a 10 point white balance and gamma adjustment, however, can transform this set from a good one to a stand out performer. It absolutely must be done with a measurement meter and calibration software, and preferably by a patient and knowledgeable calibrator. Sharp's lower models do not have this adjustment, and I believe the visual improvement provided by their proper calibration was well worth the price premium over the 734 and 732.

Modified ANSI contrast ratio measured an excellent 2729:1.

Care must be taken with some of the advanced calibration adjustments, particularly the red tint and value adjustments, which must be double checked by eye in addition to an accurate meter. The 10 point adjustment has tracking problems and improper interaction at the bright end, though with persistence it can be whipped into shape with no resulting banding in grayscale ramps. Thanks to the 735's 10 step adjustment, I was able to get reference quality calibration results in Movie mode.

How was the image after calibration? Absolutely superb, though it was hampered by the same dirty screen effect I noticed on the 732. That shows up as blotchy, dirty looking spots on the screen in light backgrounds during motion. Hockey shows it up quickly. Black uniformity can vary from sample to sample, and one of the test units (I calibrated two within a few days of each other) did have a noticeable cloud in the lower right portion of the screen. However, I was extremely satisfied with the 735's superb depth of image, shadow detail, and overall color. The picture had very good pop, though black levels fall short of that of a top plasma. Viewing angle is critical, and the screen is less glossy than most LED sets. At times I noticed a very slightly grainy look, but I did not consider it to be serious enough to be a distraction. As much as I like Sharp's lower models, I feel the 735 is a significant step forward in image quality.

Sharp 70LE735U movie.pdf 264.5185546875k . file

touring calibrator
Jeti 1211

Latest reviews:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #711 of 1646 Old 01-06-2012, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Thanks, Chad.
And thanks to Sharp as well
post #712 of 1646 Old 01-06-2012, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I highly doubt I am going to find someone in the Ne Ohio area that will take the time to do a proper calibration if I buy a 735
post #713 of 1646 Old 01-07-2012, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday121 View Post

I highly doubt I am going to find someone in the Ne Ohio area that will take the time to do a proper calibration if I buy a 735

I'm in a different part of Ohio, but I travel all over from NY to MN and down to FL. So I would consider you local.

touring calibrator
Jeti 1211

Latest reviews:

post #714 of 1646 Old 01-07-2012, 07:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Thanks so much for this report Chad. At the risk of angering the gods, would you please comment on where/how/if the 735 does and doesn't measure up to the Elite? I wouldn't expect it to be as good, just wondering where the differences can be found, and to what degree.

Many thanks.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #715 of 1646 Old 01-07-2012, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

Thanks so much for this report Chad. At the risk of angering the gods, would you please comment on where/how/if the 735 does and doesn't measure up to the Elite? I wouldn't expect it to be as good, just wondering where the differences can be found, and to what degree.

Many thanks.

I will need more time with the Elite before I can answer that. I saw the Elite demonstration at CEDIA, but since then I've had 3 Elite owners make calibration appointments only to cancel because they are waiting on the cyan firmware fix.

touring calibrator
Jeti 1211

Latest reviews:

post #716 of 1646 Old 01-07-2012, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Chad i am moving into a new house on the 28th of this month would you mind private messaging me so we could discuss this further.
post #717 of 1646 Old 01-07-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

I will need more time with the Elite before I can answer that. I saw the Elite demonstration at CEDIA, but since then I've had 3 Elite owners make calibration appointments only to cancel because they are waiting on the cyan firmware fix.

Ah right, that makes sense (assuming Sharp does in fact deliver a fix, which I gather from the Elite thread is now being called into question).

At <1/2 the price of the Elite, the 735 seems to deliver quite a ton of bang for the buck, and I've been relatively pleased by what I've seen of it in stores, noting too that user reports are that the thing really sings once dialed in. Having your report to back it up makes me even more interested...

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #718 of 1646 Old 01-07-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

In dead... Having most people say that this 735 Dialed in has a amazing picture is just pushing me over the top to buy one...

I am moving into my new house the end of this month and I needed a tv above the fireplace... So this 70 inches would look amazing .. But also I wanted a HT room in my basement .. A Front projector so I am torn between buying this 735u for 3k or buying a decent 60 inch and getting my fp for the basement as well.. So many decisions lol
post #719 of 1646 Old 01-07-2012, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
chad b, would i be better off buying a 60NX720 over a 732?
post #720 of 1646 Old 01-07-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I to was thinking of going with a 60 for cheaper price but man do I want that 70
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page