Official Sharp 2011 LC-70LE735U Owners Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 1646 Old 01-14-2012, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
From Paul's TV on twitter:

Amazon sets their own prices & sometimes they're lower. But, if you need customer service, you have to use theirs, not ours."

Also, if you buy from us you get Price Protection: We'll match competitor's price for up to 30-days. (Amazon doesn’t qualify)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1646 Old 01-15-2012, 12:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 36
After going to HHgregg and looking at the 70 inch then the 80 lol the choice is going to be real hard Atleast I got 2 weeks
post #813 of 1646 Old 01-15-2012, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Update to my clouding issues. I decided to return the set. It was too distracting during nighttime viewing. It even washes out dark scenes. And when my wife can notice, then I know it has to be bad. Rather than trying to keep exchanging until I got lucky I went with another brand.

I exchanged for a plasma. Panasonic 65VT30. I've never owned plasma before. The picture quality is hands down superior. No dirty screen effect or motion blur, and the nighttime viewing is stellar (the blacks are actually black).

On the downside, it's not near as bright as the LED 735, reflections are more noticeable, and 5 inches smaller. Uses about twice the power and is about 30 pounds heavier too.
post #814 of 1646 Old 01-15-2012, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
And hopefully your VT30 is free of the "fluctuating black" issue that plagued sets earlier in 2011 through the summer when they figured out a fix. (It's a big reason why I went with the Sharp 735)
post #815 of 1646 Old 01-15-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayselle View Post

Update to my clouding issues. I decided to return the set. It was too distracting during nighttime viewing. It even washes out dark scenes. And when my wife can notice, then I know it has to be bad. Rather than trying to keep exchanging until I got lucky I went with another brand.

I exchanged for a plasma. Panasonic 65VT30. I've never owned plasma before. The picture quality is hands down superior. No dirty screen effect or motion blur, and the nighttime viewing is stellar (the blacks are actually black).

On the downside, it's not near as bright as the LED 735, reflections are more noticeable, and 5 inches smaller. Uses about twice the power and is about 30 pounds heavier too.

I switched from the 65VT30 to the 735. The Panasonic was way too dim for me. Very happy with the 735.

Sharp LC-80LE844U
Denon AVR-3312CI
Denon DBT-1713UD
Toshiba HD-A35
Sony Playstation 3
Canton MOVIE150SIL
post #816 of 1646 Old 01-15-2012, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:

dont put on gray slides, watch B&W movies or look for the pink tinting and green blob issue cause if you see it it will drive you nuts, i had 2 pannys and they both had it and it is a widespread problem.

im going with a 632 because of those issues... but i hope you dont have those issues, the VT really does nice PQ, but also too dim for me...
post #817 of 1646 Old 01-15-2012, 04:35 PM

So I've had my 70LE735U for 2 days now and was fiddling with the picture settings when all the sudden it's like the backlight went to full blast or something?

Highlights are completely blown out, with halo'ing rings, and a blue'ish tint.... I can't get it to go away at all now.

It's 'stuck' that was. Completely broken....

Anyone know how to do a hard factory reset?

Image uploaded, you can really see it in the Giants jersey..

Looks like it's a contrast issue... Turning the Contrast almost ALL the way down fixes the blown highlights, but I end up with a very flat image... There has to be something wonky going on inside the TV that needs to be reset. It's basically like my contrast got a +30 added to whatever I have it set at.

When I choose the "Auto" picture mode, it's comical how bad the TV looks....
LL
post #818 of 1646 Old 01-15-2012, 06:47 PM

Chad B. just left my house after calibrating my 735 and my receiver. He was here for about 5 hours and spent roughly four calibrating 2D and 3D on the 735, and the other hour on the receiver. He was very nice, talked me through everything he was doing, and showed me reference material while final tweaks were being made.

As to the 735, the picture looks substantially better (was using cnet's settings before except I had enhanced color option on). Particularly clarity in the blacks and depth of images was greatly improved. Absolutely worth the money and noticed a significant difference. What I particularly liked about Chad B.'s calibration was that he calibrated with the expanded color setting on at my request so that the picture was very bright the way I like it. He also would tweak whatever I wanted to adjust to my preferences. My cloud in the bottom right corner was not removed from calibration but it does not bother me since it is not visible in normal viewing conditions. The 3D calibration was also incredible, and again Chad B. was willing to calibrate with the highest brightness booster enabled for 3D to give me the bright screen I wanted.

As to the receiver, the surround sound was drastically improved as well and I used his less expensive audio calibration of the two options that was based on the included mic rather than his sophisticated equipment. I include this in this forum just because anyone doing the TV calibration should have this done as well for the cheap amount that Chad B. charges.

Overall, I highly recommend Chad B. and really appreciate that he was willing to adjust the calibration to set the picture as I wanted it rather than having an attitude that he knows what is best for everyone. I cannot imagine a better picture, and I am extremely happy I made the switch from my Panasonic 65VT30.

Here is his website - http://hdtvbychadb.com/

Sharp LC-80LE844U
Denon AVR-3312CI
Denon DBT-1713UD
Toshiba HD-A35
Sony Playstation 3
Canton MOVIE150SIL
post #819 of 1646 Old 01-15-2012, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Sorry folks, don't take it personally. I went thought a couple bad apples with the 735 and didn't want to try a third.

The VT30 I got is a December build. It's spot on. I went through full color slides to check for uniformity and AVS 709.

It's give and take with LCD vs Plasma. I have LCD, LED-LCD, DLP, and now Plasma all in my home.
post #820 of 1646 Old 01-15-2012, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twarman17 View Post

I switched from the 65VT30 to the 735. The Panasonic was way too dim for me. Very happy with the 735.

Agreed, it's quite dim in Standard mode. Any of the other presets are better. The THX mode looks great.

You'll enjoy the 735, especially if you have a brightly lit room.
post #821 of 1646 Old 01-15-2012, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Agreed, it's quite dim in Standard mode. Any of the other presets are better. The THX mode looks great.

You'll enjoy the 735, especially if you have a brightly lit room.

standard mode is like that to meet the energy star requirements, it is really dim..like 5FL.. cinema is brighter it might reach 40FL, might... but what i didnt like besides the pink issue is that bright sunny days in movies look overcast.. same on football.

i do think overall the VT will produce better PQ, it is just that i couldnt get a panny without the pink issue. if you want to make sure yours doesnt have it, make sure it is on low panel brightness when running the slides. OOTB MID is not a good choice to use as the colors are whacked, but there is a unpublished FW fix for that.

believe me i am a plasma guy but i have no more choices, so i am trying a LCD...
post #822 of 1646 Old 01-15-2012, 11:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by twarman17 View Post

Overall, I highly recommend Chad B. and really appreciate that he was willing to adjust the calibration to set the picture as I wanted it rather than having an attitude that he knows what is best for everyone. I cannot imagine a better picture, and I am extremely happy I made the switch from my Panasonic 65VT30.

Here is his website - http://hdtvbychadb.com/

Agreed, Chad B is outstanding....great guy too.

post #823 of 1646 Old 01-16-2012, 01:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Just a quick question for those who fine tuned their tv's. Adjusting the 10 point color gamut without the proper equipment would seem to be an effort in futility, since the combinations would be enormous and adjusting one has effect on all the others. With only the disney WOW BD, or other calibration disks, what settings could you fairly calibrate to within reason on this tv without calibration equipment?
post #824 of 1646 Old 01-16-2012, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post

Just a quick question for those who fine tuned their tv's. Adjusting the 10 point color gamut without the proper equipment would seem to be an effort in futility, since the combinations would be enormous and adjusting one has effect on all the others. With only the disney WOW BD, or other calibration disks, what settings could you fairly calibrate to within reason on this tv without calibration equipment?

contrast, brightness, color, hue, sharpness... and your right to calibrate any of the others settings by eye is futile...
post #825 of 1646 Old 01-16-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:

Using the blue filters supplied you can make reasonable adjustments to hue, saturation and value in addition to contrast, brightness, color and gamma but trying to adjust the 10 point color without the proper equipment is pretty much a shot in the dark.

Best,
Wps
post #826 of 1646 Old 01-16-2012, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wps52 View Post

Using the blue filters supplied you can make reasonable adjustments to hue, saturation and value in addition to contrast, brightness, color and gamma but trying to adjust the 10 point color without the proper equipment is pretty much a shot in the dark.

Best,
Wps

Thanks mark62 and wps52. I also have the HD DVE Basics disc too that has red, blue and green filters. So that should help a bit with the hue, saturation and value adjustments, but will stay away from messing with the 10 point color gamut. Will likely get the tv calibrated in a few months, but want to have a reasonable picture until then. Will get the tv early next week, so planning ahead right now.
post #827 of 1646 Old 01-17-2012, 08:53 AM

If you have yours connected to a computer, could you download Nokia Monitor Test and go through the convergence test patterns to see if the vertical line on the far right look white on your screen?

Thanks
post #828 of 1646 Old 01-17-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmarch View Post

So I've had my 70LE735U for 2 days now and was fiddling with the picture settings when all the sudden it's like the backlight went to full blast or something?

Highlights are completely blown out, with halo'ing rings, and a blue'ish tint.... I can't get it to go away at all now.

It's 'stuck' that was. Completely broken....

Anyone know how to do a hard factory reset?

Image uploaded, you can really see it in the Giants jersey..

Looks like it's a contrast issue... Turning the Contrast almost ALL the way down fixes the blown highlights, but I end up with a very flat image... There has to be something wonky going on inside the TV that needs to be reset. It's basically like my contrast got a +30 added to whatever I have it set at.

When I choose the "Auto" picture mode, it's comical how bad the TV looks....

If you have connected your TV to the internet, just activate the AQOUS Advantage and a Sharp advisor will help you out by taking over the TV adjutments. Good luck!
post #829 of 1646 Old 01-17-2012, 09:38 AM

Can anyone share the wall mount they have used for this TV?

I was looking at this Sanus LL22 , but open for suggestions.
post #830 of 1646 Old 01-17-2012, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcs41 View Post

The Sanus VMPL3B. Comes with low-profile and tilting mount. It's capable of spanning 3 studs and can hold up to 280lbs. Allows perfect placement on the wall as you have quite a bit of side-to-side room once mounted.

The low profile mount is right against the wall so I would recommend installing a recessed outlet and cable management in the wall.
post #831 of 1646 Old 01-17-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcs41 View Post

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details
(it was around $12 when I ordered it for my previous TV)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...01_i00_details
(I picked up one of these as well in case the above didn't fit - but it did, so this one is still in the box)

No need to spend a lot!
post #832 of 1646 Old 01-17-2012, 10:09 PM
w-g

First of all, I've been lurking a bit here and found this forum to be a great wealth of information. We have pulled the trigger on the 735. Its scheduled for delivery and install next week. Now, I'm buying HDMI cables etc for the but have a question re my current 10yo Yamaha receiver. Its a 7.1 system, still works fine but no HDMI. Is it necessary to update that now to an HDMI receiver or can I wait? I am still learning the ropes of everything. I've looked around and the Onkyo TX-NR709 seems like a decent option for a decent price.
post #833 of 1646 Old 01-18-2012, 01:00 AM

Hello to all,

Just spent several hours reading every post of this thread. Great information and insights.

My 70" 735U was installed December 12 and replaced my 6 year old, first generation, 65 inch Sharp Aquos from 2005. The first thing I noticed is that the viewing angles are not nearly as good as the old Sharp. The installer said it had to do with the LED back lighting. The old set has cold cathode back lighting. I saw random momentary hesitation in the image at first, then turned off the motion control and all other enhancements, now it's good. Very impressed by the black level and detail of the 735U. I watch during the day and at night with low controlled light. I see no cloud issues. I do not see clouding in total darkness. I see the 4 corners slightly dark, but it is a non issue for me as it is hard to detect with moving images and my eyes are focused on the action. I will have my set calibrated by a certified ISF technician on January 28 and will report back with the results and settings.

I'm curious to know more about the reduced viewing angles/LED back light issue and dose anyone know how many zones or LED's are used for back lighting on the 735U? I watched a You Tube video of the shoot out where the Sharp Elite won and the Sharp tech was saying that they were keeping the precise number of lighting zones secret on the Elite.

Finally, you probably heard by now that for 2012 the 70 inch will have local dimming, more apps and an aluminum bezel and the 80 inch will have a Quatron panel with 3D.

Personal website dedicated to Vintage Micro TV http://www.visions4.net/journal/time-line/
post #834 of 1646 Old 01-18-2012, 03:51 AM
AVS Special Member

etype2

I am getting my tv next week and was curious how many other adjusmtents to the image you have made to make it look better? I won't be getting mine calibrated for a few months and was wondering what you thought of the image right out of the box.

Thanks
post #835 of 1646 Old 01-18-2012, 05:28 AM

So I pulled the trigger on this TV and also snagged the Sanus LT25 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details). Our home is nearly finished.

What I would like to do is have the mount on the wall, so when the TV arrives and we close, I can simply lift the TV out of the box mount the brackets to the back of the TV and be done. But I am not sure where the mounting holes are on this TV and how far down from the bottom of the bracket the TV will hang? Is there any way to figure this out ahead of time or do I need to be patient and wait until the TV shows up and take the measurements?

Anyone happen to have this same mounting bracket and take some measurements for me? Also, are the screw hole sizes standard, or do I need to make a run to the hardware store?
LL
post #836 of 1646 Old 01-18-2012, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w-g View Post

First of all, I've been lurking a bit here and found this forum to be a great wealth of information. We have pulled the trigger on the 735. Its scheduled for delivery and install next week. Now, I'm buying HDMI cables etc for the but have a question re my current 10yo Yamaha receiver. Its a 7.1 system, still works fine but no HDMI. Is it necessary to update that now to an HDMI receiver or can I wait? I am still learning the ropes of everything. I've looked around and the Onkyo TX-NR709 seems like a decent option for a decent price.

You do not have to upgrade. Just connect your sources directly to the TV via HDMI cables. All Blu-ray players have digital audio outputs, so you can connet it directly to your Yami. Moreover, this TV also has a Toslink digital output which you can connect to your receiver.
post #837 of 1646 Old 01-18-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:

etype2

I am getting my tv next week and was curious how many other adjusmtents to the image you have made to make it look better? I won't be getting mine calibrated for a few months and was wondering what you thought of the image right out of the box.

Thanks

Wxman:

Right out the box, all inputs were to bright. The best were Movie and User. Movie was slightly shifted to yellow/green.

Setting:

OPC Off
Dot to Dot
Color Temperature: Low
Back light: -2
Contrast: 0
Brightness: +2
Color: -4
Tint -6
Sharpness: 0
CMS HUE
R: +1
Y: -2
I left all other CMS setting at factory for now. Will let tech adjust.
Motion: OFF
Quad Pix: On
Active Contrast : Off
Gamma: 0
Digital Noise Reduction: Off
Film: Off

With these settings I'm very satisfied, but I know the ISF calibration will vastly improve. I had 4 previous sets calibrated and I highly recommend calibration. The first thing is to get the gray scale and gamma right. Color temperature should be set to ideal 6500 Kelvin if possible, You don't want your color temp to blue or red. The ISF tech will go into your advanced service menu which is not given to consumers to prevent potential destruction. IT HAS HAPPENED TO OTHERS WHO DID NOT KNOW WHAT THEY WERE DOING. You will also get a book and chart with your calibration. One final thing about calibration, you will find your set uses less energy after calibration.

A thought about the cloud issues experienced by other members and this is just speculation on my part, how were your sets delivered? Could they have been damaged in shipping? My set was delivered upright with an over sized wood pallet cabled to the box at the bottom. This prevented the box to have been laid on it's side in shipping. There were also two "SHOCK METERS" attached to the box. If the box received rough handling, red dye in the "SHOCK METERS" would have been activated and I had the option not to accept. Fortunately no such activation occurred in my shipment. When you take the panel out of the box, it should never be placed on it's side. Damage to the panel can occur.

I can say the color, detail, black levels are very good however the viewing angles are inferior to my old 2005 65 inch Sharp. I will report further with comments after final calibration on the 28th.

Personal website dedicated to Vintage Micro TV http://www.visions4.net/journal/time-line/
post #838 of 1646 Old 01-18-2012, 10:57 AM

Mono Price

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

This is the 200 pound swiveling wall mount. More than adequate. Only $76 bucks. The viewing angle (up and down) adjustability is not the best. I only need to move my set every now and then and the adjustment holds firm.

Don't spend any more that what you can find at mono price.
post #839 of 1646 Old 01-18-2012, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etype2 View Post

Wxman:

Right out the box, all inputs were to bright. The best were Movie and User. Movie was slightly shifted to yellow/green.

Setting:

OPC Off
Back light: -2
Contrast: 0
Brightness: +2
Color: -4
Tint -6
Sharpness: 0
CMS HUE
R: +1
Y: -2
I left all other CMS setting at factory for now. Will let tech adjust.
Motion: OFF
Quad Pix: On
Active Contrast : Off
Gamma: 0
Digital Noise Reduction: Off
Film: Off

With these settings I'm very satisfied, but I know the ISF calibration will vastly improve. I had 4 previous sets calibrated and I highly recommend calibration. The first thing is to get the gray scale and gamma right. Color temperature should be set to ideal 6500 Kelvin if possible, You don't want your color temp to blue or red. The ISF tech will go into your advanced service menu which is not given to consumers to prevent potential destruction. IT HAS HAPPENED TO OTHERS WHO DID NOT KNOW WHAT THEY WERE DOING. You will also get a book and chart with your calibration. One final thing about calibration, you will find your set uses less energy after calibration.

A thought about the cloud issues experienced by other members and this is just speculation on my part, how were your sets delivered? Could they have been damaged in shipping? My set was delivered upright with an over sized wood pallet cabled to the box at the bottom. This prevented the box to have been laid on it's side in shipping. There were also two "SHOCK METERS" attached to the box. If the box received rough handling, red dye in the "SHOCK METERS" would have been activated and I had the option not to accept. Fortunately no such activation occurred in my shipment. When you take the panel out of the box, it should never be placed on it's side. Damage to the panel can occur.

I can say the color, detail, black levels are very good however the viewing angles are inferior to my old 2005 65 inch Sharp. I will report further with comments after final calibration on the 28th.

Thanks!
post #840 of 1646 Old 01-18-2012, 03:14 PM

A few Screen shots before calibration from Joe Kane Video Essential calibration BD.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...35USS11024.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...35USS21024.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...35USS31024.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...35USS41024.jpg

Last Screen shot shows excellent black level and very good screen uniformity. First two are computer animations. Photos taken late afternoon with drapes closed.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page