Official Sharp 2011 LC-70LE735U Owners Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 1646 Old 08-19-2011, 10:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ahh thanks. I wonder why Sharp is taking so long to release those glasses in the USA. I see them online in a bunch of places in Canada.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1646 Old 08-20-2011, 01:14 PM

Just saw this TV in BB in the Magnolia section. They must have had every adjustment set to 100% -- it looked terrible. Super saturated and totally blown out. If I worked for Sharp, I'd be pissed to see my product displayed so poorly. But, then again, almost all of the TVs on display looked the same way. I'll have to print out some calibration numbers from this thread and go back some day soon when it's a lot less crowded to see if I can get it to look better. Why can't they calibrate their TVs, at least in the higher end section of the store? It's a wonder they ever sell anything...
post #63 of 1646 Old 08-21-2011, 03:43 AM
Advanced Member

I've also tried to locate the "20" glasses, but have had no luck in the states.
post #64 of 1646 Old 08-21-2011, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
I posted earlier about this tv in a bb and that it looked horrible as well, but I didn't have the typical setting list with me. I did go to another bb to have a look at the Sony new 3d projector...looks great, anyway they also had this tv there too and it looked MUCH better. I didn't even notice it amongst the other units since they seemed to have most tvs really dialed in to look good. This bb also had 2 dedicated theater rooms, so it was a bit nicer bb, and perhaps had someone actually calibrate most of their units. Nevertheless, this unit is back on my short list, at least until Sharp eventually release their 80" unit hopefully.

Why do all of my threads suck? Is there an internet posting school somewhere? -wes k
post #65 of 1646 Old 08-21-2011, 08:58 AM

Liked: 12
Can any owners (including perhaps our friends at CP) please comment about how reflective the 735 screen is?
post #66 of 1646 Old 08-21-2011, 10:42 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterTheSwamp View Post

Does the 735 convert standard shows into 3d?

Yes, it will.
post #67 of 1646 Old 08-22-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clamage View Post

Can any owners (including perhaps our friends at CP) please comment about how reflective the 735 screen is?

Its a matte screen, not very reflective, at least in my environment.
post #68 of 1646 Old 08-22-2011, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

I was gonna buy this tv but now with news on the Sharp 80" I think I might wait awhile for that one. Too bad that one isn't 3D though.
post #69 of 1646 Old 08-23-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettcp View Post
Its a matte screen, not very reflective, at least in my environment.
That's good to hear. My house is modern and has lots of glass, so reducing reflections is a critical issue for me.
post #70 of 1646 Old 08-23-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Indy View Post

I was gonna buy this tv but now with news on the Sharp 80" I think I might wait awhile for that one. Too bad that one isn't 3D though.

That will be one huge set. Can post the link for the Sharp's 80" announcement?
post #71 of 1646 Old 08-23-2011, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
^^^^

Re-posted from the Avid Home Theater blog:
Sharp will shortly be debuting two new, large and affordable flat panel TVs. The LC80LE632U and LC70LE632U are 1080P 120Hz TV's but don't appear to be 3D ready. The MAP on the 80″ looks to be $4999.99 and the 70″ $2799.99 making them extremely affordable for their size.

The 80″ may be a good alternative to inexpensive front projection especially in applications where there is a lot of ambient light.

When considering that the next closest flat panel above 80″ is the Panasonic Pro Plasma which costs significantly more than twice the price, we're excited about this TV.

I'm sure we'll see 3D versions at some point but as these two new TVs are still about 30 days from shipping it could be a bit of a wait.
post #72 of 1646 Old 08-23-2011, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Eden.... what happened to your pics?????
post #73 of 1646 Old 08-23-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarder1995 View Post

I did go to another bb... they also had this tv there too and it looked MUCH better. ...this unit is back on my short list, at least until Sharp eventually release their 80" unit hopefully.

Thanks for this encouraging report. Haven't seen an official press release on the 80-inch model, but I'll keep my eye on that, too.
post #74 of 1646 Old 08-23-2011, 08:12 PM

How does this TV compare to the Samsung LCD LED Tv's? I was on the fence to get the 65" but after owning 4 and having the flashlight issues on the corners I figured I would look at another brand. Does this TV compare to the Samsung 65" un65c8000?

Thanks for the feedback as I am ready to take a plunge into one of these to replace my Samsung 55" tv
post #75 of 1646 Old 08-23-2011, 11:46 PM

The 735 is really matte. Its not glossy. If you stand beside a Samsung TV, you'll be able to tell that the 735 is more matte and less reflective than Samsung TV's.

Sorry for the delay!! Been super busy with work etc.
These are iPhone 4 pictures, I'm buying a Canon 5D Mark II tomorrow so I should be able to snap better pictures with that

LL
post #76 of 1646 Old 08-24-2011, 08:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Eden View Post

The 735 is really matte. Its not glossy. If you stand beside a Samsung TV, you'll be able to tell that the 735 is more matte and less reflective than Samsung TV's.

Sorry for the delay!! Been super busy with work etc.
These are iPhone 4 pictures, I'm buying a Canon 5D Mark II tomorrow so I should be able to snap better pictures with that

Vignetting is obvious in all four corners. It's relatively minor, but it's there.

Mark
post #77 of 1646 Old 08-24-2011, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Hi all, I've been looking at the 70 inch line of sharps for a bit now and have read most of the two threads involving them. I thought I'd post in this thread because I'm considering the 734 which is in my opinion the sister tv to the 735 sans 3d.

I really want to pull the trigger on the 734 but I'm not convinced its any better than the 732 or 733 costco model. For all I can tell the biggest difference is the 120 hz vs 240 hz. From what I understand 240 would help with the fast motion of say football/hockey. My question is "is it really that helpful?" will I notice a difference between the 120 and 240. I read in one post that most of the owners are turning off some of the features to get rid of the handy cam effect (soap opera). Does that mean turning off the feature I'm paying more for??

Thoughts and expert advice is welcome
post #78 of 1646 Old 08-24-2011, 12:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 543
post #79 of 1646 Old 08-24-2011, 01:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post

Vignetting is obvious in all four corners. It's relatively minor, but it's there.

Mark

Yes, no offense to Sharp and the people who "don't have dark corners", but they mis-designed the LED array on all of the 70" sets. Because the corner LEDs have no neighbors and they were doubtless paranoid about burying one in the literal corner and causing flashlighting, they ended up creating this problem.

They ought to consider a redesign of the array for next year to fix / mitigate this. It's not a horribly difficult technological problem and the bigness of the set demands some new trickery. In fairness, Sharp was not doing full array sets before this year and the prices on these have been insanely aggressive. But it's time to clean up the flaws.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #80 of 1646 Old 08-24-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post

As a professional photographer I would like to point out that almost all digital cameras and lenses vignette, too. That's why Adobe Lightroom (a professional photo editing program) has created lens correction profiles that systematically remove the vignetting associated with specific camera lenses. Even my $2k+ lenses vignette. No camera lens is perfect, just like no TV is perfect. So, it is not possible to assess the degree of a specific TV's vignetting from a photo of the screen because you are looking at the screen's vignetting + the camera's vignetting.
post #81 of 1646 Old 08-24-2011, 03:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwc3 View Post

As a professional photographer I would like to point out that almost all digital cameras and lenses vignette, too. That's why Adobe Lightroom (a professional photo editing program) has created lens correction profiles that systematically remove the vignetting associated with specific camera lenses. Even my $2k+ lenses vignette. No camera lens is perfect, just like no TV is perfect. So, it is not possible to assess the degree of a specific TV's vignetting from a photo of the screen because you are looking at the screen's vignetting + the camera's vignetting.

It's possible, except that the TV is not in the corners of the frame of the image, yet you can clearly see the image darkening -- almost the same exact amount -- in each corner.

It's a flaw with the TV. It's not a horribly serious flaw and on lots of content it's not noticeable. But it's a flaw that many have spotted in retail and in their homes.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #82 of 1646 Old 08-24-2011, 11:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwc3 View Post

What rogo said above. If it's because Eden's camera is showing vignetting it's pretty severe because the corners of the 735 aren't anywhere near the corners of the frame. Besides, those are iPhone 4 photos and I'm not aware of the iPhone 4 having any vignetting issues. Plus, I've seen a 735 in person and it had darkened corners. I didn't have to look through the viewfinder of my 5D Mark II to see the vignetting.

Mark
post #83 of 1646 Old 08-27-2011, 11:57 AM

Got my 735 and my Onkyo 809. Going to mount the 735 tomorrow and hook it all up. Hoping this combo will shine together.
post #84 of 1646 Old 08-27-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafish721 View Post

Got my 735 and my Onkyo 809. Going to mount the 735 tomorrow and hook it all up. Hoping this combo will shine together.

That's pretty much what I've got goin' on. I think I'm going 733 on the TV though. Can't wait.
post #85 of 1646 Old 08-27-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL GUER0 View Post

That's pretty much what I've got goin' on. I think I'm going 733 on the TV though. Can't wait.

I went with the 735 for the 3D. I would hate to regret down the road not spending the few hundred dollars more especially if 3D takes off. I am going to spend the $99 for the 3 year additional warranty at Costco just in case something goes wrong.
post #86 of 1646 Old 08-27-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:

I went with the 735 for the 3D. I would hate to regret down the road not spending the few hundred dollars more especially if 3D takes off. I am going to spend the $99 for the 3 year additional warranty at Costco just in case something goes wrong.

I was thinking the same thing about the 3D but I had to make some budget decisions. I'm putting together a HT system at the same time and I'm not holding back on that. If I went 735 that means $500 to $700 more for the TV, then a new Blu Ray player, and then buying 3D blu rays every time for $45. I know there may be programming on the tube that is in 3D but we don't go with a max cable package. I suppose Red Box will start with 3D but you know there going to charge two arms and three legs to get that over the traditional $1 movie, it is 3D you know.

In the end buying into 3D just felt like over the long haul lots of $$. I also have a young family, $$ glasses friends coming over. I really wish the Sharps did passive, it might have been enough for me to take the plunge.

O-well, if it all back fires on me, new TV in two years
post #87 of 1646 Old 08-27-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:

I was thinking the same thing about the 3D but I had to make some budget decisions. I'm putting together a HT system at the same time and I'm not holding back on that. If I went 735 that means $500 to $700 more for the TV, then a new Blu Ray player, and then buying 3D blu rays every time for $45. I know there may be programming on the tube that is in 3D but we don't go with a max cable package. I suppose Red Box will start with 3D but you know there going to charge two arms and three legs to get that over the traditional $1 movie, it is 3D you know.

In the end buying into 3D just felt like over the long haul lots of $$. I also have a young family, $$ glasses friends coming over. I really wish the Sharps did passive, it might have been enough for me to take the plunge.

O-well, if it all back fires on me, new TV in two years

I had the same internal battle with "to 3D or not to 3D" with many of the same factors you mentioned. The 735 will convert 2D to 3D so if you want to watch a movie in 3D that is in HD on cable TV you can just activate 3D. That was a big one for me. Also I don't plan on buying many if any 3D movies (OK maybe 1 or 2 to use as a demo). I plan on renting from blockbuster or hopefully Netflix and Red Box will start putting these out. Comcast has 2 3D channels, xfinity 3D and ESPN 3D. They also have Starz and HBO shows in 3D in the on demand section. I hope more to come soon. It would be great if the big networks had dedicated 3D channels. I just didn't want to be kicking my self if I didn't get the 3D set and it all of a sudden exploded. Personally I love watching movies in 3D so I hope there is more steam behind this once there is a critical mass of 3D TV owners.
post #88 of 1646 Old 08-27-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:

I had the same internal battle with "to 3D or not to 3D" with many of the same factors you mentioned. The 735 will convert 2D to 3D so if you want to watch a movie in 3D that is in HD on cable TV you can just activate 3D. That was a big one for me. Also I don't plan on buying many if any 3D movies (OK maybe 1 or 2 to use as a demo). I plan on renting from blockbuster or hopefully Netflix and Red Box will start putting these out. Comcast has 2 3D channels, xfinity 3D and ESPN 3D. They also have Starz and HBO shows in 3D in the on demand section. I hope more to come soon. It would be great if the big networks had dedicated 3D channels. I just didn't want to be kicking my self if I didn't get the 3D set and it all of a sudden exploded. Personally I love watching movies in 3D so I hope there is more steam behind this once there is a critical mass of 3D TV owners.

Truth be told, I wish I was getting the 735. I've just spent too much $$ on the rest of my setup and am still a bit over budget. I think my wife would have a fit if I brought home the 735 and then told her I had to spend $120+ for two pair of 3D glasses. There is no way I can make it happen unless the 735 starts selling for $3100 tomorrow including glasses. I suppose I'll just have to live through ya'll here at AVS
post #89 of 1646 Old 08-27-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post
sharp LC70LE735U east

Think without too much to drink!
How is that price even helpful. It's already significantly more than one of the kind forum sponsors price point. You'd have to be a sucker to buy that.
post #90 of 1646 Old 08-28-2011, 03:51 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:

How is that price even helpful. It's already significantly more than one of the kind forum sponsors price point. You'd have to be a sucker to buy that.

Well for one its 3D which once you see it hopefully will allow for a change of thought. Go for a local 3D demo.
The total cost is about the same. So actually a much better deal which allows one to experience new viewing pleasures yet to be imagined.
Thank you!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page