Official Sharp 2011 LC-70LE735U Owners Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 1646 Old 08-28-2011, 08:47 PM
Senior Member
 
ordo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwc3 View Post

Thanks for this encouraging report. Haven't seen an official press release on the 80-inch model, but I'll keep my eye on that, too.

Saw AVAS forum member gave out some model numbers. Anyone know more?
ordo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 1646 Old 08-28-2011, 10:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 12,199
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 609
^^^ It will be a base unit, no 3D either ....

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #93 of 1646 Old 08-29-2011, 08:48 AM
Member
 
dafish721's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well, I have the 735 mounted and used the youtube settings to dial it in. Day one and it looks great to me. Only problem is the Onkyo 809 I purchased with it turns off after only being on for 3 seconds. I am having to return it so that sets me back 1-2 weeks before I have my whole room set up.

Hope this next Onkyo 809 unit is flawless otherwise I will be in the market for a new AVR.
dafish721 is offline  
post #94 of 1646 Old 08-29-2011, 08:56 AM
Member
 
blkicevic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Biloxi Ms
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
anyone been able to use the ipcontrol function on this tv or any sharp tv to work the functions in realtime like a remote control? i know you can telnet and use commad but i want to use the irule interface via IP networking without any extra hardware involved. This is the only device in my house that i cannot operate in this manner. i have two samsung d8000 tvs as well and they are capable. si is my denon avr and bdp.
thanks in advance

I do not condone what i do, but i will not deny myself the pleasure!
blkicevic is offline  
post #95 of 1646 Old 08-29-2011, 09:15 AM
Member
 
dafish721's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkicevic View Post

anyone been able to use the ipcontrol function on this tv or any sharp tv to work the functions in realtime like a remote control? i know you can telnet and use commad but i want to use the irule interface via IP networking without any extra hardware involved. This is the only device in my house that i cannot operate in this manner. i have two samsung d8000 tvs as well and they are capable. si is my denon avr and bdp.
thanks in advance

You might want to try and post this in the remote control section. iRule has a huge thread there.
dafish721 is offline  
post #96 of 1646 Old 08-29-2011, 09:19 AM
Member
 
blkicevic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Biloxi Ms
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
went that route a couple months back and then posted in the 732u thread as well. no results also contacted sharp and was told " thank you for your interest in sharp products. for technical issues concerning your specific device please resort to the user manual for the product you purchased.
i have played around with hdmi control from the reciever to the tv and that would work but the sound goes to the tv and the speakers at the same time. i just want sound to go to the avr speaker system. The sharp mute button does not go away and when i trun down the tv, it turns down the reciever also.

I do not condone what i do, but i will not deny myself the pleasure!
blkicevic is offline  
post #97 of 1646 Old 08-29-2011, 08:22 PM
Senior Member
 
ordo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

^^^ It will be a base unit, no 3D either ....

1. Yes but it's 80 right?
2. Thought the 732's were the base. What do the 732's have that the 632's don't?
ordo is offline  
post #98 of 1646 Old 08-29-2011, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
westa6969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: From Michigan now Retired to Naples, FL
Posts: 6,927
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by ordo View Post

1. Yes but it's 80 right?
2. Thought the 732's were the base. What do the 732's have that the 632's don't?

Go visit Dell Home and they have the 60" version for several months with reviews - it's not a Quattron and so those that think the yellow is a gimmick this may work for them. 80" should mirror this panel spec's.

Overview

"Enjoy a breathtaking viewing experience with the AQUOS® 60-inch LC60LE632U 1080p LED LCD HDTV from Sharp®. The AQUOS LED system comprised of the X-Gen LCD panel with 10-bit processing is designed with advanced pixel control to minimize light leakage and wider aperture to let more light through. Its UltraBrilliant LED enables an incredible dynamic contrast ratio of 4,000,000:1 and picture quality that will mesmerize you. Also, Vyper Drive game mode eliminates perceptible lag between game consoles and the TV display. Besides this 120Hz Fine Motion Enhanced virtually eliminates blur and motion artifacts in fast-moving video. The LC-60LE832 has built-in ATSC/QAM/NTSC tuners and 4 HDMI® inputs, compatible with 1080p signals, as well as 2 HD 1080p component inputs. In addition it also features the Vudu™ apps, Netflix streaming video, CinemaNow capability, along with the industry’s leading online support system AQUOS Advantagesm Live. Moreover with built-in Wi-Fi, connection to AQUOS Net is easier than ever and the dual USB media players for portable video/music player add to convenience. Plus, IP Control enables a PC or control devise to control basic TV functions via the Ethernet terminal. With all such impressive features and more, the Sharp LC60LE632U is an ideal choice to complement your digital lifestyle."

Manufacturer Part# : LC60LE632U

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
westa6969 is offline  
post #99 of 1646 Old 08-29-2011, 10:14 PM
Member
 
EL GUER0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The 733 is officially in the house and setup. I'm not really sure which of all the threads I should post in so its here. I really like it and am using the CNET settings for now.
EL GUER0 is offline  
post #100 of 1646 Old 08-30-2011, 01:14 AM
Member
 
Mako88888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Eden View Post

The 735 is really matte. Its not glossy. If you stand beside a Samsung TV, you'll be able to tell that the 735 is more matte and less reflective than Samsung TV's.


Sorry for the delay!! Been super busy with work etc.
These are iPhone 4 pictures, I'm buying a Canon 5D Mark II tomorrow so I should be able to snap better pictures with that


Just got back from Paul's TV in Irvine, where they've had a 735 on display for about a week. Ran a bunch of content through it (wow, DirecTV's 3D Channel is just awful, over-compressed mess) and it absolutely has the dark-corner vignetteing that this photo displays. 100% identical.

Still bought it.

First, for whatever reason the dark corners disappear after a second or two of a new image being displayed, not sure why that would be but they fade away quickly. Brain trick maybe? In any case it's only noticeable on a white background (which I had them reproduce for me in-store after seeing this shot).

Secondly, it really has a fantastic overall image. Blacks are fine, nothing to write home about as it's still LCD, but superior to the Mitsu RPTVs that were in the store (including the L75-A94 and 92840). Sucks to suffer with a 70" screen, would much prefer an 80" version of the 735, but it appears that's at least 6-12 months away.

Set came with 2 x 3D Glasses as a part of its price, currently on sale, and it finally decided the battle I'd been having between the 70" 735, the 75" L75-A94, and the 82" 82840.

All three of them are around the same price somewhat, but the Sharp LCD won me over with its vivid colors and noticeably sharper resolution and brightness. Blu-ray content was incredible through the set, really popped well, and the overall brightness is enough to compensate for 3D-viewing with the darker glasses in a way that none of the Mitsubishi sets can (with the exception of the L75-A94, which is very impressive but not superior to the 735 imo).

Delivery next week, looking forward to it.
Mako88888 is offline  
post #101 of 1646 Old 08-30-2011, 06:30 PM
Member
 
Drake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I hook my laptop up or desktop to the 735 using a hdmi cable and the computer screen seems zoomed on the lcd tv screen. I cannot see the icons on the task bar at the bottom in windows or just barely. I am using 1920x1080 rez and just duplicating the screen. I have tried different settings but to no avail. Also win7 says it installs the sharp lcd driver ... any help appreciated this is driving me crazy and I have wasted a ton of time trying to figure this out.

Thanks
Drake is offline  
post #102 of 1646 Old 08-31-2011, 02:13 PM
Senior Member
 
stebrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hartsville, SC
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just had the same problem with a Sharp 65" set. I could not fix it by changing the screen resolution. I fixed it by right clicking on the desk top and selected the video card (in my case Nvidia) which had adjustments to "fit the viewing area"
Rick
stebrock is offline  
post #103 of 1646 Old 09-01-2011, 09:07 AM
Newbie
 
kkessler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ellicott City MD
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post

I hook my laptop up or desktop to the 735 using a hdmi cable and the computer screen seems zoomed on the lcd tv screen. I cannot see the icons on the task bar at the bottom in windows or just barely. I am using 1920x1080 rez and just duplicating the screen. I have tried different settings but to no avail. Also win7 says it installs the sharp lcd driver ... any help appreciated this is driving me crazy and I have wasted a ton of time trying to figure this out.

Thanks

There was some mention on the 732 thread about a dot-by-dot view mode, which sounds like it might be applicable to this problem. I'm not near my TV to check it out, though.
kkessler is offline  
post #104 of 1646 Old 09-02-2011, 12:03 AM
Member
 
Brettcp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post

I hook my laptop up or desktop to the 735 using a hdmi cable and the computer screen seems zoomed on the lcd tv screen. I cannot see the icons on the task bar at the bottom in windows or just barely. I am using 1920x1080 rez and just duplicating the screen. I have tried different settings but to no avail. Also win7 says it installs the sharp lcd driver ... any help appreciated this is driving me crazy and I have wasted a ton of time trying to figure this out.

Thanks

By default, mine was in "Stretch" mode. Use the remote and press the "View Mode" button and change it to "Dot by dot". This brought the picture to a perfect fit for me.
Brettcp is offline  
post #105 of 1646 Old 09-02-2011, 05:49 PM
Senior Member
 
ordo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

Go visit Dell Home and they have the 60" version for several months with reviews - it's not a Quattron and so those that think the yellow is a gimmick this may work for them. 80" should mirror this panel spec's.

Overview

"Enjoy a breathtaking viewing experience with the AQUOS® 60-inch LC60LE632U 1080p LED LCD HDTV from Sharp®. The AQUOS LED system comprised of the X-Gen LCD panel with 10-bit processing is designed with advanced pixel control to minimize light leakage and wider aperture to let more light through. Its UltraBrilliant LED enables an incredible dynamic contrast ratio of 4,000,000:1 and picture quality that will mesmerize you. Also, Vyper Drive game mode eliminates perceptible lag between game consoles and the TV display. Besides this 120Hz Fine Motion Enhanced virtually eliminates blur and motion artifacts in fast-moving video. The LC-60LE832 has built-in ATSC/QAM/NTSC tuners and 4 HDMI® inputs, compatible with 1080p signals, as well as 2 HD 1080p component inputs. In addition it also features the Vudu apps, Netflix streaming video, CinemaNow capability, along with the industry's leading online support system AQUOS Advantagesm Live. Moreover with built-in Wi-Fi, connection to AQUOS Net is easier than ever and the dual USB media players for portable video/music player add to convenience. Plus, IP Control enables a PC or control devise to control basic TV functions via the Ethernet terminal. With all such impressive features and more, the Sharp LC60LE632U is an ideal choice to complement your digital lifestyle."

Manufacturer Part# : LC60LE632U

1. Sales guy at BB said that he heard about the 80 incher and that like all 632 series it does NOT have the fourth (yellow) color and was the basic 120 hz without any of the Aquamotion 240 stuff. Of course no 3D. Has there been any definitive determination that the fourth color is valuable. He was not a big fan of the fourth color (as he claimed it gave the picture a yellowish tint) and that the 80 incher might be better for it. Anyone???

2. Sales guy as well (an AVSFORUM reader) recalled reading some discussions about the making of an 80 inch panel as either not available currently or too costly to produce. What happened to allow 80 inchers and how can Sharp make them so reasonably priced (imo) just a bit more then the 70 3d version msrp???
ordo is offline  
post #106 of 1646 Old 09-02-2011, 07:13 PM
 
HiFiFun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 2,209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako88888 View Post

Just got back from Paul's TV in Irvine, where they've had a 735 on display for about a week. Ran a bunch of content through it (wow, DirecTV's 3D Channel is just awful, over-compressed mess) and it absolutely has the dark-corner vignetteing that this photo displays. 100% identical.

Still bought it.

First, for whatever reason the dark corners disappear after a second or two of a new image being displayed, not sure why that would be but they fade away quickly. Brain trick maybe? In any case it's only noticeable on a white background (which I had them reproduce for me in-store after seeing this shot).

Secondly, it really has a fantastic overall image. Blacks are fine, nothing to write home about as it's still LCD, but superior to the Mitsu RPTVs that were in the store (including the L75-A94 and 92840). Sucks to suffer with a 70" screen, would much prefer an 80" version of the 735, but it appears that's at least 6-12 months away.

Set came with 2 x 3D Glasses as a part of its price, currently on sale, and it finally decided the battle I'd been having between the 70" 735, the 75" L75-A94, and the 82" 82840.

All three of them are around the same price somewhat, but the Sharp LCD won me over with its vivid colors and noticeably sharper resolution and brightness. Blu-ray content was incredible through the set, really popped well, and the overall brightness is enough to compensate for 3D-viewing with the darker glasses in a way that none of the Mitsubishi sets can (with the exception of the L75-A94, which is very impressive but not superior to the 735 imo).

Delivery next week, looking forward to it.

Excellent observations which match mine. My first in-home observation is the 2D picture is 3D. I have already gained considerable experience, but have not tried the You-tube settings. Instead I use the i1 Display Pro meter with included x-rite pc calibration software.

After I finished the automated calibration with 478 test patterns (in 10 minutes) I went to the Windows 7 color calibration to check the gamma setting. On previous displays (like the Panasonic VT-25) I've never been able to get the two gamma circles with the slider bar to match-up. With the Sharp the were perfect matched (without touching the slider adjustment bar) so the gamma is a confirmed, true 2.2! As a result detail in the dark scenes are more natural than the dithering plasmas have to do.

There are more colors than a standard LCD. One sees more licorice reds, golds and amber oranges and yellows. The feared fourth yellow pixel was easily calibrated out yet the "pop" colors remain. This indicates the Rec 709 standard is rather limiting to what we see in real life.

Since plasmas limit whites, the Sharp x-gen panel improved light efficiency sets a new standard for day-time 3D viewing. That is, plasmas 3D pictures are too dim, especially during daytime.

My wife and son watched Avatar in 3D and did not get up one time with the shades drawn in in family room. The 70" picture, with two independent streams of 1080p sets a new standard for clarity. That is there is more detail in two streams compared one 2D stream.

These thin LCD panels will always have uniformity or dirty screen effect. It's visible in low contrast pans of the sky. Reminds me of old CRTs which had similar effect. 95% of the time you don't see it. Family members don't ever comment on it either.

The viewing angle is wide enough for 4 people which easily beats the Samsung and Sony displays.

I got a display model (out for a short time) for an extra $500 off. This is way less than half the cost of the Elite 70".

In conclusion, the 735 is highly recommended for 2D day and evening viewing and especially for awesome 3D!
Night-time 2D viewing is very good except for totally dark, low contrast scenes. Usually the high brightness and x-gen panels dynamic range, no LCD fog and ambient lighting prevent black level from becoming an issue.
Use in a black room is the only questionable justification to spend double for the Elite. (In this case a $4k front projector makes more sense).

The area which needs elaboration again is the 70" size in 3D with high brightness, color pop, resolution and contrast. Since 3D black level is lowered by the glasses, 3D looks excellent even at night. All this sets a new standard for all HDTV displays.
Logically then, passive 3D half-rez displays have instantly become obsolete (the LG's are on deep discount sale ) They work with my x-pand 3D glasses.

I like the 3X increase in energy efficiency and light weight too.
HiFiFun is offline  
post #107 of 1646 Old 09-02-2011, 07:22 PM
 
HiFiFun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 2,209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by stebrock View Post

I just had the same problem with a Sharp 65" set. I could not fix it by changing the screen resolution. I fixed it by right clicking on the desk top and selected the video card (in my case Nvidia) which had adjustments to "fit the viewing area"
Rick

You fixed it alright but in a blurry way. Undue the Nvidia settings then select the dot-by-dot View mode on the Sharp. Then in Wondows go select the best clear-type font.
HiFiFun is offline  
post #108 of 1646 Old 09-02-2011, 07:29 PM
 
HiFiFun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 2,209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
No offense but this is the Sharp 735 thread which differs in several import ways from the 732 and 733, yet for not much more money. (This proves buying from a warehouse club can be a not-so-good-deal).

So please post in the popular 732 2D only thread. Enjoy!
HiFiFun is offline  
post #109 of 1646 Old 09-02-2011, 07:41 PM
Member
 
orlasttoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: CT
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Very nice write-up HiFiFun. I'm expecting mine to arrive in 2 weeks (the longest 2 weeks ever)

It's replacing my Sony 70" XBR950 rear-proj LCD. She's been good to me all these years, but alas, has become obsolete

Let's hope the PQ is noticeably better!
orlasttoy is offline  
post #110 of 1646 Old 09-03-2011, 04:37 AM
 
HiFiFun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 2,209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
[quote=dafish721;20825526]
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Eden View Post

Recently got this TV. Can anyone post their calibration settings for this TV? I don't want to sift through a ton of pages on the 732 thread.


try using this guys setting from youtube. People have been saying they work well for the 732.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ--apmENWE

These settings are widely inaccurate for the 735 with a strong yellow emphasis.
HiFiFun is offline  
post #111 of 1646 Old 09-03-2011, 07:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 12,199
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by ordo View Post

1. Yes but it's 80 right?
2. Thought the 732's were the base. What do the 732's have that the 632's don't?

When I say base, I mean starter model. Yes the LC-80LE632 will be an 80"

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #112 of 1646 Old 09-03-2011, 02:19 PM
Senior Member
 
ecgz88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 304
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
when the Sharp LC-80LE632U will coming?

will it follow by 80LE735U?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

When I say base, I mean starter model. Yes the LC-80LE632 will be an 80"

ecgz88 is offline  
post #113 of 1646 Old 09-03-2011, 03:15 PM
 
HiFiFun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 2,209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The Sharp 70" 734 was reduced $500(!) custgo. I wonder why!
Sharp should sell a ton of them based upon the excitement at the store. They were playing Hoodwinked Blu-ray which looks very impressive with tons of pop and clarity.
I spoke with one couple who said that was they size they really wanted after not being satisfied with a dinky 55" Samsung.

this is evidence that Sharp has fundamentally changed the flat panel marketplace overnight. Only Plasma had the big 65" picture for less. Samsung (and now Sony) charged an arm an a leg for rare 65" LCDs with inferior performance to boot. Now Sharp is dramatically bigger for way less.

So like how fast are members here able to adjust their thinking to the new reality?
HiFiFun is offline  
post #114 of 1646 Old 09-03-2011, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Augerhandle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako88888 View Post
Just got back from Paul's TV in Irvine, where they've had a 735 on display for about a week... [snip] ...bought it...
Which model TV is it replacing?

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
 

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 
Augerhandle is offline  
post #115 of 1646 Old 09-03-2011, 06:31 PM
 
HiFiFun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 2,209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Here is a recent review of the 3D Sharp LC46-LE830. Their findings agree with my observations for the 735. Notice the very high 3D score and impressive 4,000/16,000 contrast ratio:
http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate...rUrl=Translate
HiFiFun is offline  
post #116 of 1646 Old 09-04-2011, 04:38 AM
 
HiFiFun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 2,209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Those who want the best/perfect calibrated picture from their Sharp AND use a htpc as a source can buy the x-rite i1 Display Pro meter and pc software at Amazon for $249. Personally I use gigabit networked pc's in every room with a WMC 7 DVR/NAS with Over-The-Air antenna reception.
With Power DVd 11 Ultra for 2D/3D playback.
Now you can calibration every computer display you own now and for many years. This avoids the $400 charge per display if done manually.
It avoids the $400 additional change if you change your settings on the TV or computer. Just press the button and let the meter recalibrate!

AVS members can understand the benefits of this meter. The Sharps displays need calibration. The color pop, brightness and contrast are taken to a new level.
Its taken x-rite many years to release a meter and software which are technically perfect. There is little chance for error as no human is in the measurement loop.

The calibration controls inside almost all TVs are buggy and coarse in comparison to a look-up table in the PC.

So why not avoid this situation?
It takes almost no knowledge on the user part. All you do is install the software and then hang the meter from the top of the TV then press the Go.

People who have purchased it on Amazon do state they can see the difference. Read the reviews.


http://www.amazon.com/Xrite-EODIS3-i...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

Note: one Sharp Setting that destroys picture quality is the Power Saving selection "based upon video content". Everyone disable this immediately.
(After all you just bought the most energy display technology. I'm all for saving energy but not when it destroys the quality of our life!)
HiFiFun is offline  
post #117 of 1646 Old 09-05-2011, 09:20 AM
Senior Member
 
stebrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hartsville, SC
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

You fixed it alright but in a blurry way. Undue the Nvidia settings then select the dot-by-dot View mode on the Sharp. Then in Wondows go select the best clear-type font.

Thanks for the input... my resolution is back to 1920x1080.
Rick
stebrock is offline  
post #118 of 1646 Old 09-05-2011, 12:54 PM
Member
 
Mako88888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

Which model TV is it replacing?

A well-past-its-prime Hitachi 60V500 LCD RPTV. Needless to say it's a significant upgrade versus that ancient rig.

Already looking forward to an 80" version of this Sharp at some point next year (7-series with 3D, not the 6-series that's pending), which will allow me to "steal" the 70" for the game room...

Very happy, this was a simple no-brainer really.
Mako88888 is offline  
post #119 of 1646 Old 09-05-2011, 01:02 PM
Member
 
Mako88888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

Excellent observations which match mine. My first in-home observation is the 2D picture is 3D. I have already gained considerable experience, but have not tried the You-tube settings. Instead I use the i1 Display Pro meter with included x-rite pc calibration software.

After I finished the automated calibration with 478 test patterns (in 10 minutes) I went to the Windows 7 color calibration to check the gamma setting. On previous displays (like the Panasonic VT-25) I've never been able to get the two gamma circles with the slider bar to match-up. With the Sharp the were perfect matched (without touching the slider adjustment bar) so the gamma is a confirmed, true 2.2! As a result detail in the dark scenes are more natural than the dithering plasmas have to do.

There are more colors than a standard LCD. One sees more licorice reds, golds and amber oranges and yellows. The feared fourth yellow pixel was easily calibrated out yet the "pop" colors remain. This indicates the Rec 709 standard is rather limiting to what we see in real life.

Since plasmas limit whites, the Sharp x-gen panel improved light efficiency sets a new standard for day-time 3D viewing. That is, plasmas 3D pictures are too dim, especially during daytime.

My wife and son watched Avatar in 3D and did not get up one time with the shades drawn in in family room. The 70" picture, with two independent streams of 1080p sets a new standard for clarity. That is there is more detail in two streams compared one 2D stream.

These thin LCD panels will always have uniformity or dirty screen effect. It's visible in low contrast pans of the sky. Reminds me of old CRTs which had similar effect. 95% of the time you don't see it. Family members don't ever comment on it either.

The viewing angle is wide enough for 4 people which easily beats the Samsung and Sony displays.

I got a display model (out for a short time) for an extra $500 off. This is way less than half the cost of the Elite 70".

In conclusion, the 735 is highly recommended for 2D day and evening viewing and especially for awesome 3D!
Night-time 2D viewing is very good except for totally dark, low contrast scenes. Usually the high brightness and x-gen panels dynamic range, no LCD fog and ambient lighting prevent black level from becoming an issue.
Use in a black room is the only questionable justification to spend double for the Elite. (In this case a $4k front projector makes more sense).

The area which needs elaboration again is the 70" size in 3D with high brightness, color pop, resolution and contrast. Since 3D black level is lowered by the glasses, 3D looks excellent even at night. All this sets a new standard for all HDTV displays.
Logically then, passive 3D half-rez displays have instantly become obsolete (the LG's are on deep discount sale ) They work with my x-pand 3D glasses.

I like the 3X increase in energy efficiency and light weight too.

Fantastic write-up, couldn't agree more.

I could have rationalized the 70" Elite easily as this is an upgrade that will last for years so the price difference isn't a true show-stopper. But the reality is that the subjective superiority of the Elite won't be significant enough to even discerning eyes, let alone my more tolerant standards, to not put that savings elsewhere.

The 735 is just that good once you tweak it a bit as you noted in your post.

Great set at a great price.
Mako88888 is offline  
post #120 of 1646 Old 09-05-2011, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
aydu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 3,717
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Has anyone had success eliminating the dark corners on these sets?

I'd buy one of these sets in a minute, if it wasn't for this (to me) glaring pq drawback.

Some have had success with edge lit sets reducing flashlighting by tapping or rubbing on the affected areas of the screen with a microfiber cloth.

I realize the Sharp 70 inchers are fully backlit so their darkened corners are the exact opposite problem edge lit sets have - too little backlight in the corners, rather than backlight bleed, so massaging the screen, or backing off screws on the unit might not be effective.

I don't mean to dump on these sets, for people that own them and are happy with the pq. The darkened corners jumped out at me the first time I saw the set, and have been present on every sample I have seen at Sears, Sam's and BB. I could not live with the set with the uneven backlighting in those 4 corner areas.
aydu is online now  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off