post #1381 of 1646 Old 03-19-2012, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DMANIAC View Post

Another nice thing is the Aquos Link. Once you turn on the Blu Ray player, the TV switches its input to whichever HDMI the unit is connected to.

the 735 does this with my panasonic 210 also.

Let the awe and mystery of a journey unlike any other begin
SharpLC70LE735U,SonyKDSR60XBR2,KlipschSynergyIII,PanasonicDMPDT210,Oppo981,DenonAVR683,Harmony880,MDN v3.2.0-5

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1382 of 1646 Old 03-19-2012, 11:07 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DMANIAC View Post

Sharp's own 3D Blu Ray player is very much sought after. Most retailers have sold them out. The disc drawer is slow to open but it makes up for it by reading the Blu Ray discs very fast - almost the speed of a PS3.

Another nice thing is the Aquos Link. Once you turn on the Blu Ray player, the TV switches its input to whichever HDMI the unit is connected to. The picture quality is top notch.

I got a Sharp 3D BD-HP25U BD player as part of a bundle. They seem to be kind of bottom end, and the couple of reviews you can find on the Internet are really bad for the current line.

The so-called graphic user interface and menus are horrible, looking like something from DOS 6.22 back in 1990, and the apps are non-existent. The "Aquos Link" does nothing except ensures that if you are using HDMI between the TV and the player, that the pixel mapping is set to 1:1 for 1080p. Upscaling for DVDs is really bad, with some tearing and other problems at times. PQ is average at best IMHO.
post #1383 of 1646 Old 03-19-2012, 12:01 PM

Quick question - having had the tv totally dialed in with the calibration I sometimes see almost like a haze over say the audience at a sporting even or outside scenes - any ideas which feature I can switch to adjust this?

My List
post #1384 of 1646 Old 03-19-2012, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgehring View Post

Quick question - having had the tv totally dialed in with the calibration I sometimes see almost like a haze over say the audience at a sporting even or outside scenes - any ideas which feature I can switch to adjust this?

What do you have you backlight set at? I have mine at -4. Most people set their backlight way too high and in effect it washes out the picture in dark scenes. Also, what is your gamma set at?

RIP Robin Williams. Thanks for the laughter.
post #1385 of 1646 Old 03-19-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normandee View Post

Hi Guys,

I'm down in Australia but moving back to the UK soon.

I'm looking at the 70inch Sharp as my next TV and wondered if you guys could help given they have been out for some time in the U.S.

To help, I have compared your models to UK models on both Sharp web sites and they are as follows:

LC70LE735U (US) = LC70LE836E (UK) Aquos Quattron 3D full array back lit

LC70LE745U (US) = LC70LE741E (UK) Aquos 3D edge lit

So my question is, once calibrated, would I be wasting money going for a Quattron 3D over an Aquos 3D, is there any real noticeable difference with the yellow pixel after calibration.

Any owners or calibrators out there, your input would be more than welcome as this is most definitely our TV of choice once back in the U.K.

If there is no discernable difference then we may even go the 80inch if it becomes available as 3D, currently only 80inch Aquos but full array backlit.

Many Thanks

With the original first generation Quattron panel from 2009, calibrators said the yellow pixels through off the correct colors and could not be calibrated correctly. Sharp corrected the problem and the current 735U can be calibrated very accurately. Note that the the Quattron panel is used in the Sharp Elite models which have been called the best LCD on the planet right now and some say the best panel period. I have not seen the 745 only the 80 inch 832 without the Quattron panel.

As the owner of a 6 year old Sharp 65 inch LCD, a Sony 2009 XBR 46 inch LCD and a 2011 Sharp 70 inch 735U, I can give you my perspective: After the 735U was installed, I noticed an increased color breath, expression what ever you want to call it. The blue-greens have more shades of color on this panel. The yellows and golds as well. When watching multi racial people on talk show panels, I see excellent skin tone variations. The overall effect is personally very favorable to me. The Quattron panel makes my conventional RGB televisions look flat in comparison. My set was professionally calibrated by an ISF technician.

Another point to consider: The Quattron panel has 25% more pixels on the screen compared to conventional LCD panels. By adding the yellow sub-pixel, this increased the pixel density from over 6 million to over 8 million pixels. The benefit is that each individual pixel is smaller so a finer pitch display. You still have a 1920x1080 display but the pixel pitch is denser.

Personal website dedicated to Vintage Micro TV http://www.visions4.net/journal/time-line/
post #1386 of 1646 Old 03-19-2012, 03:06 PM

Did a search and even downloaded the user manual. Epic fail finding this info so sorry if this is a repeat. TV on it's way for mid week delivery.

How does one route (digital) audio from internet content streamed (wirelessly) to the 735?

Will have HD cable box digital auto out into AVR. Ditto AppleTV digital audio out to to AVR. At least I think that's the way to do it.

Is there a digital audio out from the 735 that can go to the AVR?

Thanks for setting me straight.

Pete
post #1387 of 1646 Old 03-19-2012, 03:34 PM

[quote=ptoemmes;21799621]Did a search and even downloaded the user manual. Epic fail finding this info so sorry if this is a repeat. TV on it's way for mid week delivery.

How does one route (digital) audio from internet content streamed (wirelessly) to the 735?

Will have HD cable box digital auto out into AVR. Ditto AppleTV digital audio out to to AVR. At least I think that's the way to do it.

Pete[/QUOTE

I think you will need to send wifi signal to a wifi equipped AVR to do this. The Sharp has 4 HDMI input/outputs, DVI, optical and PC connections.

Personal website dedicated to Vintage Micro TV http://www.visions4.net/journal/time-line/
post #1388 of 1646 Old 03-19-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etype2 View Post

With the original first generation Quattron panel from 2009, calibrators said the yellow pixels through off the correct colors and could not be calibrated correctly. Sharp corrected the problem and the current 735U can be calibrated very accurately. Note that the the Quattron panel is used in the Sharp Elite models which have been called the best LCD on the planet right now and some say the best panel period. I have not seen the 745 only the 80 inch 832 without the Quattron panel.

As the owner of a 6 year old Sharp 65 inch LCD, a Sony 2009 XBR 46 inch LCD and a 2011 Sharp 70 inch 735U, I can give you my perspective: After the 735U was installed, I noticed an increased color breath, expression what ever you want to call it. The blue-greens have more shades of color on this panel. The yellows and golds as well. When watching multi racial people on talk show panels, I see excellent skin tone variations. The overall effect is personally very favorable to me. The Quattron panel makes my conventional RGB televisions look flat in comparison. My set was professionally calibrated by an ISF technician.

Another point to consider: The Quattron panel has 25% more pixels on the screen compared to conventional LCD panels. By adding the yellow sub-pixel, this increased the pixel density from over 6 million to over 8 million pixels. The benefit is that each individual pixel is smaller so a finer pitch display. You still have a 1920x1080 display but the pixel pitch is denser.

Thanks for that, a truly well informed and explained post. So the 70 inch Quattron 3D monster it is then, unless the 80 inch Quattron 3D reaches the UK that is.....

Thanks again
post #1389 of 1646 Old 03-19-2012, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptoemmes View Post

Did a search and even downloaded the user manual. Epic fail finding this info so sorry if this is a repeat. TV on it's way for mid week delivery.

Pete

Most TVs today use the ARC (audio return channel) to send audio down to the AVR over the same HDMI cable that carries the video in the other direction. See that manual you were looking at, on page 11 (look at the text by the label for HDMI 1), 57 and 58. You have to have a recent, ARC-capable AVR. Most are, these days, if you have anything remotely current.

Otherwise, you should be able to use an optical out of the TV into the AVR. Use the Digital Audio Output terminal (see page 11, again, and 13) with a standard TOSSLINK optical audio cable.
post #1390 of 1646 Old 03-20-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post

What do you have you backlight set at? I have mine at -4. Most people set their backlight way too high and in effect it washes out the picture in dark scenes. Also, what is your gamma set at?

16 backlight, no brightness, -2 gamma. Dialed back the backlight to 12 now, seems to be mildly better. Do you think I should keep backing it down?
Then as far as the brightness of the overall picture, what do you ramp up to compensate?

My List
post #1391 of 1646 Old 03-20-2012, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

16 backlight, no brightness, -2 gamma. Dialed back the backlight to 12 now, seems to be mildly better. Do you think I should keep backing it down?
Then as far as the brightness of the overall picture, what do you ramp up to compensate?

That is quite high. After calibration my backlight at night is -4 and during day it is at -1. Brightness +1 and gamma 0. Was your tv professionally calibrated? If you have gamma at -2 and backlight at 16, there is something out of whack IMO. What mode are you in? Movie, game, user, etc?

post #1392 of 1646 Old 03-20-2012, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
How is the GAME mode with lag? Are the blacks/contrast still good with 720p/1080p crips sources (HTPC or 360)?

I need to move away from my DLP for a number of reasons but I hate to introduce alot of lag in my FPS games I am bad enough competing wtih 15 yo who play all day - another 40ms will kill me!
post #1393 of 1646 Old 03-21-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:

That is quite high. After calibration my backlight at night is -4 and during day it is at -1. Brightness +1 and gamma 0. Was your tv professionally calibrated? If you have gamma at -2 and backlight at 16, there is something out of whack IMO. What mode are you in? Movie, game, user, etc?

Yeah, had the tv calibrated just last week and it was done in Movie mode.

I'll try out your settings and see if that's closer to what I desire.

Thanks wxman.

My List
post #1394 of 1646 Old 03-21-2012, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, had the tv calibrated just last week and it was done in Movie mode.

I'll try out your settings and see if that's closer to what I desire.

Thanks wxman.

Also make sure power save mode is off. There is a button on the remote that says power save. Having it on dims the picture too much.

post #1395 of 1646 Old 03-21-2012, 09:22 AM

Quick opinion question guys. Found the TV for 3000.00 and I'm really thinking about pulling the trigger. I've flipped flopped from this one and the new 745 but from what I'm reading the older 735u is a better quality set. I would love to hear anyone's opinion on the price and if I should do it or wait for the price to drop more. Thanks in advance guys!
post #1396 of 1646 Old 03-21-2012, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by csalak View Post

Quick opinion question guys. Found the TV for 3000.00 and I'm really thinking about pulling the trigger. I've flipped flopped from this one and the new 745 but from what I'm reading the older 735u is a better quality set. I would love to hear anyone's opinion on the price and if I should do it or wait for the price to drop more. Thanks in advance guys!

I would think that the sooner the 735 inventory dwindles the higher the price will go. If you have a HHgregg store near you show them this add and see if they will match it. They did when I bought mine.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #1397 of 1646 Old 03-21-2012, 10:45 AM

Thanks for the reply. So in your opinion you would purchase the 735 over the 745?
post #1398 of 1646 Old 03-21-2012, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by csalak View Post

Thanks for the reply. So in your opinion you would purchase the 735 over the 745?

I have not seen the 745 yet. Most of my research stated full array backlighting is better then edge lit. So I am glad I bought the 735 and was disappointed and happy at the same time to learn that the newer models were going to be edge lit.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #1399 of 1646 Old 03-21-2012, 03:04 PM

I'm in Texas so no that's not an option.

Pulled the trigger on the 735 and I'm excited to start getting it setup. Even though I wanted the latest models I really feel the features in the 735 are still on the higher end side compared to the 7x models of 2012.
post #1400 of 1646 Old 03-21-2012, 04:28 PM

Per Sharp's Press release today, looks like the 2012 8 series 60 and 70 inch panels will be edge lit with only the 8 series 80 inch being full array at a much higher price point.

Sharp continues to go BIG: new models in the 55-inch plus category

Sharp AQUOS 7-Series 3D LED TVs

The new 7-Series AQUOS 3D TVs models in screen size classes of 60- and 70-inches (LC-60LE745U and LC-70LE745U) feature a newly designed ultra-slim bezel design with a rich black-brushed aluminum finish. These Full HD Active 3D edge-lit LED TVs feature high-performance AQUOS LCD Panel, full HD 1080p and 120Hz refresh rate. The 7-Series also features built-in WiFi, SmartCentral and four HDMI inputs.

Shipping:

NOW

Available:

Mid-March

MSRP:

LC-60LE745U - $2,299.99

LC-70LE745U - $3,299.99

Sharp AQUOS Quattron 8-Series 3D LED TVs

Sharp's 8-Series AQUOS Quattron 3D LED TVs in screen size classes of 60-, 70- and 80-inches (LC-60LE847U, LC-70LE847U and LC-80LE844U) offer a sleeker look with a newly designed ultra-slim bezel with a black brushed aluminum finish. All feature built-in WiFi with SmartCentral, Full HD Active 3D, and Quattron technology with Quad Pixel Plus 2 for more vivid colors and finer detail. The full HD 1080p LC-80LE844U features a vivid 3D image, employing full array LED backlighting and AquoMotion 480 refresh rate to virtually eliminate blur during fast-moving video. The 60- and 70-inch class models are edge-lit LED with a newly developed 240Hz AQUOS LCD panel.

SHIPPING:

Late March

AVAILABLE:

April

MSRP:

LC-60LE847U - $2,699.99

LC-70LE847U - $3,799.99

LC-80LE844U - $5,999.99

Enhanced Picture Quality
Sharp is introducing Quad Pixel Plus 2, the latest innovation for its exclusive Quattron technology. Quad Pixel Plus 2, available on the 60-inch (60 1/32" diagonal) and 70-inch (69 ½" diagonal) models, offers even greater detail, smoother lines and color transitions.

The Smarter TV -- SmartCentral

SmartCentral is a newly designed easy to use, intuitive and customizable user interface. Select models give consumers the ability to search for content, browse the internet and access many popular applications, including Netflix®, Hulu Plus, Facebook®, CinemaNow® and YouTube to name a few. Users can individualize their experience with personalized settings, including selecting favorite apps, and choosing from multiple wallpapers and with select models, two viewing formats - full screen or dock.

post #1401 of 1646 Old 03-21-2012, 04:35 PM

I have a feeling there will be an 80 inch Sharp Elite as well, with a mega-sphere price point. :-)

post #1402 of 1646 Old 03-21-2012, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

I have not seen the 745 yet. Most of my research stated full array backlighting is better then edge lit. So I am glad I bought the 735 and was disappointed and happy at the same time to learn that the newer models were going to be edge lit.

I would like to see the 735 next to a 745 next to each other to compare the picture quality when watching a hockey game. Wondering if the uniformity issues some first gen sets had were resolved with edge lighting the panel. I see that some online vendors are tossing in a pair of 3d specs with the 70 inch 745 at fairly attractive price points.

Waiting for an online review of the lc-70le745. Thinking about the Panasonic VT50 also, but might have an issue with glare on the screen, it's smaller, and you have to buy an extra set of 3d glasses...

It's hard to see a decent demo of these panels in a bby, costco or sears. All the televisions look like they are on fire.
post #1403 of 1646 Old 03-21-2012, 07:28 PM

Gents,

By the looks of it, $500 seperates edge lit from back lit in 70inch

Aquos: LC-70LE745U - $3,299.99

Quattron Aquos : LC-70LE847U - $3,799.99

Worth the additional $500 if you ask me, even though I don't have one yet.

Thanks
post #1404 of 1646 Old 03-21-2012, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:

Gents,

Thanks

Here is the rub....consensus is that a back lit will probably do you best but then sharp goes about mucking up the fourth yellow pixel in quattron..this may change in 2012 but.....
post #1405 of 1646 Old 03-22-2012, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:

Gents,

Thanks

The LC-70LE847U is edge led - the new LC-80LE847U is full array.

http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/columns/...-big-hdtvs.php

Also the 80″ model includes a full-matrix LED backlight instead of edge-lighting. This presumable provides a more uniform backlight but also requires more LEDs, and that probably contributes to its significantly higher price.
post #1406 of 1646 Old 03-22-2012, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
It may be easier for them to switch to edge lit and perhaps mask the issues with clouding so many of us had on the 735 - easier and faster than addressing the reasons for the clouding and fixing it in time for new models. It'll be interesting to see if that issue shows up on the new 80"
post #1407 of 1646 Old 03-22-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:

Also make sure power save mode is off. There is a button on the remote that says power save. Having it on dims the picture too much.

Dawned on me this morning as well - what's your colortemp wxman? When I had it calibrated it was set to low, but my personal preference is a brighter screen (i know overblown in a lot of ways), but this seems to bring everything up too.

My List
post #1408 of 1646 Old 03-22-2012, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Dawned on me this morning as well - what's your colortemp wxman? When I had it calibrated it was set to low, but my personal preference is a brighter screen (i know overblown in a lot of ways), but this seems to bring everything up too.

I have my color temperature set to low. Changing to med-low will "brighten" picture by pushing whites towards blue. I also found these setting for game mode that look pretty good. Only oversaturated color is green. It is a little brighter. I still set my backlight to zero instead of +11.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post21577867

post #1409 of 1646 Old 03-22-2012, 10:25 AM

I know this is a 735U thread but for comparison, 2012 models:

The 7 and 8 series have more elegant black brushed metal, thinner bezels like the Elite. No full array in 60 or 70 inch, only 80 inch. The Star Trek style logo is gone. Looks like the 80 inch gets Aqua Motion 480. The 9 series, out in summer gets full array local dimming.

Series 8 photo:

Attachment 241331
LL

post #1410 of 1646 Old 03-22-2012, 12:00 PM

Now you guys are making me regret my decision to go with the 735 vs the 745..

I can still cancel the order??
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page