post #1411 of 1646 Old 03-22-2012, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by csalak View Post

Now you guys are making me regret my decision to go with the 735 vs the 745..

I can still cancel the order??

735 should be the better panel based on specs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1412 of 1646 Old 03-22-2012, 12:24 PM

Liked: 10
Yea I agree. It's always that have to have the new model thought process that sometimes backfires..
post #1413 of 1646 Old 03-22-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csalak View Post

Now you guys are making me regret my decision to go with the 735 vs the 745..

I can still cancel the order??

I couldn't wait any longer. Waited for the 68 inch panel to come out in 2010, never happened. Glad I waited. I do like the brushed metal bezel on the 2012 models and sounds like the 9 series 70 or 80 inch is what I'd like to have now.

Since I bought the 735U in December, should be good for 5 or 6 years, by then, hopefully OLED panels will be proficient and cheaper. LG and Samsung both announced 55 inch panels for this year. LG's version just went into production. No prices announced yet. Sony is showing a prototype called Crystalvision. It uses individual LED's as pixels.

Spoiled for 70 inch or larger though. :-)

Personal website dedicated to Vintage Micro TV http://www.visions4.net/journal/time-line/
post #1414 of 1646 Old 03-23-2012, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Just noticed an oddity with this tv when using the built in apps. Tonight I was watching a show on Netflix and wanted to double check a setting. Strangely enough, when using the app, the color gamut and 10 point adjustment is greyed out in movie mode. So the calibrated movie settings do not carry over to the apps. You can select color temperature and it allows you to adjust the RGB hi and lo, but no 10 point in movie mode. The minute you get out of the app, all the calibrated settings are intact and are used. Wonder why Sharp prevented 10 point movie mode calibrations from working when using apps. Scratching my head on that one.

"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory"
post #1415 of 1646 Old 03-24-2012, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 56
post #1416 of 1646 Old 03-24-2012, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark1 View Post

For you 735/70" owners, which mount do you use to wall mount such a beast on the wall? Will this be enough? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=37CB10A6G7S56

Perfect
post #1417 of 1646 Old 03-24-2012, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

Perfect

Thank you Sir.

p.s. btw it's for the newer 745, not 735 as I just sneaked in to here since I'm sure there's a tons of happy 735 owners who wall mounted theirs.
post #1418 of 1646 Old 03-24-2012, 11:21 AM

Hello, I am new to this forum and recently purchased a Sharp 735. After lurking for a few days I noticed someone, living in Arizona, has had excellent results with a certain ISF Certified Calibrator but did not mention his name. I had my old Mitsu 55 diamond ISF calibrated in 2000 when I bought it but even thought it works just fine it has been replaced by the 735. I have checked the ISF site for dealers in Arizona and have found many. A large number of them are BestBuys Geek Squad. I would rather not gamble on a random selection. Can someone with experience make a recomendation? If this info is not permitted on the forum please advise me and I will make arrangements for a pm or regular email. Thanks, Bob
post #1419 of 1646 Old 03-24-2012, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark1 View Post

For you 735/70" owners, which mount do you use to wall mount such a beast on the wall? Will this be enough? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=37CB10A6G7S56

The only downside to one like that is you can't adjust it much. I prefer to be able to tilt large TVs as needed... considering large LCDs have a distinct sweet spot, the ability to angle the set is especially nice. The small downside is it's not going to be quite as flush mounted to the wall, but OTOH, it'll be a LOT easier to access the backside of the set for wiring.

Check out some of the articulating mounts from Monoprice for the same money, or less.
post #1420 of 1646 Old 03-24-2012, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGCramer View Post

Hello, I am new to this forum and recently purchased a Sharp 735. After lurking for a few days I noticed someone, living in Arizona, has had excellent results with a certain ISF Certified Calibrator but did not mention his name. I had my old Mitsu 55 diamond ISF calibrated in 2000 when I bought it but even thought it works just fine it has been replaced by the 735. I have checked the ISF site for dealers in Arizona and have found many. A large number of them are BestBuys Geek Squad. I would rather not gamble on a random selection. Can someone with experience make a recomendation? If this info is not permitted on the forum please advise me and I will make arrangements for a pm or regular email. Thanks, Bob

may be here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=139
post #1421 of 1646 Old 03-24-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGCramer View Post

Welcome to the forums!

I am that person from Arizona. The calibrator in Scottsdale is Mike Hamilton. He is the best, you probably read my post describing him. If you need more info, let me know.

Personal website dedicated to Vintage Micro TV http://www.visions4.net/journal/time-line/
post #1422 of 1646 Old 03-24-2012, 07:34 PM

I've been reading this thread for the past week everyday and I am having a really hard time deciding if I should go for 735U or Panasonic VT30.

I tried searching this topic but didn't find anyone comparing 3d on this set with plasma. How is the 3d compared to plasma especially Panasonic VT30? what about the viewing angle?

So far most people say Plasma offers deep blacks but we don't plan to watch tv in the dark at all. Will the 735U offer enough contrast (deep blacks) for well lit or slightly lit rooms? Is it easy to see clouding issue, dirty screen effect in slightly lit room?
post #1423 of 1646 Old 03-24-2012, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousdude View Post

I've been reading this thread for the past week everyday and I am having a really hard time deciding if I should go for 735U or Panasonic VT30.

I tried searching this topic but didn't find anyone comparing 3d on this set with plasma. How is the 3d compared to plasma especially Panasonic VT30? what about the viewing angle?

So far most people say Plasma offers deep blacks but we don't plan to watch tv in the dark at all. Will the 735U offer enough contrast (deep blacks) for well lit or slightly lit rooms? Is it easy to see clouding issue, dirty screen effect in slightly lit room?

The biggest issue with this tv compared to any plasma is off angle viewing. If you have a lot of viewing off to the side, it will be an issue. However, if your main family viewing on a sofa in front of the tv, then there will not be any issues. The tv is bright enough in well lit rooms. Better than plasma. I have both, plasma and now the 735. The plasma is not good in bright rooms, but makes up for it watching in the dark. You can tell the difference. Clouding and DSE may or may not be an issue. It's the luck of the draw with the 735. Some have it, some don't. It will be obvious. I can't give my opinion on 3D LED vs plasma, as this is the first 3D tv I have owned. It handles it quite well IMO. I don't know where you will buy this from, but I got mine from BB, and with the purchase you get upgraded to premium silver membership which give you up to 45 days to test drive it. If you are on the fence, try one for a few weeks. If you don't like it, switch to the other and try that for a few more weeks. If you don't care for either, you are out nothing.

"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory"
post #1424 of 1646 Old 03-24-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post

The biggest issue with this tv compared to any plasma is off angle viewing. If you have a lot of viewing off to the side, it will be an issue. However, if your main family viewing on a sofa in front of the tv, then there will not be any issues. The tv is bright enough in well lit rooms. Better than plasma. I have both, plasma and now the 735. The plasma is not good in bright rooms, but makes up for it watching in the dark. You can tell the difference. Clouding and DSE may or may not be an issue. It's the luck of the draw with the 735. Some have it, some don't. It will be obvious. I can't give my opinion on 3D LED vs plasma, as this is the first 3D tv I have owned. It handles it quite well IMO. I don't know where you will buy this from, but I got mine from BB, and with the purchase you get upgraded to premium silver membership which give you up to 45 days to test drive it. If you are on the fence, try one for a few weeks. If you don't like it, switch to the other and try that for a few more weeks. If you don't care for either, you are out nothing.

Thanks for the reply. I am leaning towards 735U because I don't want to deal with image retention or burn in issues with Plasma. I will probably be buying from Bestbuy but they are currently asking a lot of money and it's close to 4k with taxes. Not sure if the price will drop anytime soon. I guess I'll pay them a visit tomorrow. thanks again
post #1425 of 1646 Old 03-25-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etype2 View Post

I couldn't wait any longer. Waited for the 68 inch panel to come out in 2010, never happened. Glad I waited. I do like the brushed metal bezel on the 2012 models and sounds like the 9 series 70 or 80 inch is what I'd like to have now.

Since I bought the 735U in December, should be good for 5 or 6 years, by then, hopefully OLED panels will be proficient and cheaper. LG and Samsung both announced 55 inch panels for this year. LG's version just went into production. No prices announced yet. Sony is showing a prototype called Crystalvision. It uses individual LED's as pixels.

Spoiled for 70 inch or larger though. :-)

I'm like you. I got my 70735 in Oct last year. I don't think I wouild want anything smaller now than a 70
post #1426 of 1646 Old 03-25-2012, 06:12 PM

Hi,

I just joined the forums today (although I have read the threads here numerous times in the past), so that I could pose a few questions. My 14-year old rear projections Mitsu died yesterday, and I find myself in the market for a new HDTV at long last. I've been thinking about the 70" Sharp models for a long time, and even toyed with the notion of purchasing the 80" model, although in the end I think the 70" is about the most I can afford. I've sort of zeroed in on the LC-70LE735U (ruled out the 70LE734U since the price is the same online), but have also been looking at the 65" LG Infinia 65LW6500. To complicate matters, the 70LE745U just came out and also looks like a viable contender (and less expensive than the 70LE735U).

From the recent comments, it seems as if people think the 70LE735U is still superior to the 745, but I have been pretty freaked out by all the reports of clouding/DSE with these units. The thought of dropping thousands of dollars for a new TV that may have this problem is somewhat daunting.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the 70LE735U vs. the LG Infinia 65LW6500? The thread for that model has a lot of rave reviews about the advanced features that can be unlocked within the service menu (THX mode, local dimming, etc.) and the price of this TV is about $800 less than the 70LE735U (of course, it is also 5" smaller). It also uses passive 3D, and includes 4 pairs of inexpensive 3D glasses. Although to be fair, I am not all that excited about 3D at home, so may not really explore those features much anyway.

This will probably be a fairly long-term purchase for me, so want to make the best decision I can with the info at hand. Any feedback you may have about these particular models, or the new line coming out by Sharp, would be greatly appreciated

BTW, my plan is to hook the TV up to an Oppo BD-93 Blu-ray player, a DirecTV or FiOS HD DVR, and an XBox 360. Usage ratio is probably 60% TV watching (regular shows, no sports), 20% movies (DVD/BluRay/Netflix streaming), and 20% gaming (mostly Kinect games and slower-paced stuff like LA Noire). Audio will all be sent to my AVR, so will probably never turn the internal TV speakers on.

Sorry to be so long-winded - thanks in advance for your feedback...

Demian
post #1427 of 1646 Old 03-26-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post

Just to muddle the pot a bit...

The new 2012 Panasonic VT50 series plasmas (and ST50/GT50) are looking to be significantly brighter than past model years' panels (VT30 and such). Just something to bear in mind... if someone is shopping for 2012 models, comparisons to previous plasmas aren't totally accurate anymore.
post #1428 of 1646 Old 03-26-2012, 12:36 PM

I bought the tv a month ago and I am so far loving it. I did notice that the colors seem to be a little off so I bought the Disney WOW Blu-Ray Disc to self calibrate. Here are my questions:

1. I understand that you need to be in movie mode with the color gamut set to standard to calibrate, but how can you calibrate the others? For instance I have a PS3 and I want it on game mode, the cable box on user mode, or set up one for sports. So far all I have read is everyone using movie mode for everything.

2. With the color gamut mode set to advanced, can you still use the blue filter?
post #1429 of 1646 Old 03-26-2012, 01:34 PM

I'm having a hard time understanding the reported clouding issue. I saw the pictures posted in this thread and whatever it is, looks awful.

Point: Sharp checks every panel prior to leaving factory. I find it difficult to believe that images like we saw posted, would pass inspection.

Point: My reseller shipped my Sharp 735U upright, strapped to an oversize wood pallet placed at the bottom of the box to prevent the box from being placed on it's side during shipping.

Point: My reseller also placed two shock meters on the box. If the box received rough handling, red die would have been activated and I could have rejected shipment had this happened. My reseller said they put this procedure in place due to too many damaged panels being returned.

Point: A Sharp technician told me that if to much pressure is applied to the surface of the panel, damage could occur. The panel should never be placed on it's side during installation.

I'm curious to know the settings on the panels with reported "clouding". Were the back-light/brightness controls turned up to high?

I have absolutely no clouding issue and in fact the screen uniformity is excellent. I believe care must be exercised though out the shipping and installation process and you will be rewarded with an excellent television. I hope this helps the members who may be on the fence about purchasing this set. Be assured that you will receive a full factory warranty in the event of a mishap.

post #1430 of 1646 Old 03-26-2012, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasorbust74 View Post

I bought the tv a month ago and I am so far loving it. I did notice that the colors seem to be a little off so I bought the Disney WOW Blu-Ray Disc to self calibrate. Here are my questions:

1. I understand that you need to be in movie mode with the color gamut set to standard to calibrate, but how can you calibrate the others? For instance I have a PS3 and I want it on game mode, the cable box on user mode, or set up one for sports. So far all I have read is everyone using movie mode for everything.

2. With the color gamut mode set to advanced, can you still use the blue filter?

If you want a decent setting game mode setting try the following:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post21577867

It's a calibrated setting for the 732, but works well with the 735. I would leave color gamut at standard for all modes.

post #1431 of 1646 Old 03-26-2012, 02:57 PM

Thanks wxman...but it seems on the 735 the only way I can turn the color gamut to standard is in movie mode. When I go to game mode or any other mode it is blacked out in the menu with a crossed out circle. Am I doing something wrong? I really don't care for the movie mode, even with the brightness, contrast, or back-light turned way up still seems dull.
post #1432 of 1646 Old 03-26-2012, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasorbust74 View Post

Thanks wxman...but it seems on the 735 the only way I can turn the color gamut to standard is in movie mode. When I go to game mode or any other mode it is blacked out in the menu with a crossed out circle. Am I doing something wrong? I really don't care for the movie mode, even with the brightness, contrast, or back-light turned way up still seems dull.

Adjusting the color Gamut from standard to expanded only works in movie mode. So your tv is ok. If you want to boost movie mode a bit, adjust color temperature from low to mid-low. Same with those game mode settings. If you can, get your tv professionally calibrated. It makes a huge difference with this tv when the 10 point calibration is done.

post #1433 of 1646 Old 03-27-2012, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by etype2 View Post

I'm having a hard time understanding the reported clouding issue. I saw the pictures posted in this thread and whatever it is, looks awful.

Point: Sharp checks every panel prior to leaving factory. I find it difficult to believe that images like we saw posted, would pass inspection.

Point: My reseller shipped my Sharp 735U upright, strapped to an oversize wood pallet placed at the bottom of the box to prevent the box from being placed on it's side during shipping.

Point: My reseller also placed two shock meters on the box. If the box received rough handling, red die would have been activated and I could have rejected shipment had this happened. My reseller said they put this procedure in place due to too many damaged panels being returned.

Point: A Sharp technician told me that if to much pressure is applied to the surface of the panel, damage could occur. The panel should never be placed on it's side during installation.

I'm curious to know the settings on the panels with reported "clouding". Were the back-light/brightness controls turned up to high?

I have absolutely no clouding issue and in fact the screen uniformity is excellent. I believe care must be exercised though out the shipping and installation process and you will be rewarded with an excellent television. I hope this helps the members who may be on the fence about purchasing this set. Be assured that you will receive a full factory warranty in the event of a mishap.

interesting obsevations...however. my set came from bestbuy..not sure how they shipped or stored it. but it was brought out to me on a hand truck short side down and loaded into my pickup truck laying flat. traveled 40 miles like that..unloaded and carried in the house by my girlfriend and myself. unboxed and laid flat on its back..then the stand assembled and installed acording to instructions which tells you to lay the set flat, screen side down. which i used the kitchen table for. and im happy to say that other than slight viginet in the corners, screen uniformity is great. i see no clouding either in factory mode or adjusted to settings posted here. so, although im sure some of these sets are handled roughly in transit..im not sure at what point the handleing is rough enough to cause clouding..certainly my handling wasnt

Let the awe and mystery of a journey unlike any other begin
SharpLC70LE735U,SonyKDSR60XBR2,KlipschSynergyIII,PanasonicDMPDT210,Oppo981,DenonAVR683,Harmony880,MDN v3.2.0-5

post #1434 of 1646 Old 03-27-2012, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

If that is the case about clouding, why does Sharp consider that some clouding is acceptable? They have already rejected some claims for replacement for minor clouding. I highly doubt sharp checks for clouding on each panel in a totally dark room before shipping. The factories are brightly lit which makes it hard to see clouding, if the actually qc all of them at all. Most likely they check a couple out of each batch.

post #1435 of 1646 Old 03-27-2012, 04:06 PM

Anyone try theses glasseshttp://truedepth3d.com/

post your feedback

are they any lighter?
post #1436 of 1646 Old 03-30-2012, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by demroyer View Post

Hi,

I just joined the forums today (although I have read the threads here numerous times in the past), so that I could pose a few questions. My 14-year old rear projections Mitsu died yesterday, and I find myself in the market for a new HDTV at long last. I've been thinking about the 70" Sharp models for a long time, and even toyed with the notion of purchasing the 80" model, although in the end I think the 70" is about the most I can afford. I've sort of zeroed in on the LC-70LE735U (ruled out the 70LE734U since the price is the same online), but have also been looking at the 65" LG Infinia 65LW6500. To complicate matters, the 70LE745U just came out and also looks like a viable contender (and less expensive than the 70LE735U).

From the recent comments, it seems as if people think the 70LE735U is still superior to the 745, but I have been pretty freaked out by all the reports of clouding/DSE with these units. The thought of dropping thousands of dollars for a new TV that may have this problem is somewhat daunting.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the 70LE735U vs. the LG Infinia 65LW6500? The thread for that model has a lot of rave reviews about the advanced features that can be unlocked within the service menu (THX mode, local dimming, etc.) and the price of this TV is about $800 less than the 70LE735U (of course, it is also 5" smaller). It also uses passive 3D, and includes 4 pairs of inexpensive 3D glasses. Although to be fair, I am not all that excited about 3D at home, so may not really explore those features much anyway.

This will probably be a fairly long-term purchase for me, so want to make the best decision I can with the info at hand. Any feedback you may have about these particular models, or the new line coming out by Sharp, would be greatly appreciated

BTW, my plan is to hook the TV up to an Oppo BD-93 Blu-ray player, a DirecTV or FiOS HD DVR, and an XBox 360. Usage ratio is probably 60% TV watching (regular shows, no sports), 20% movies (DVD/BluRay/Netflix streaming), and 20% gaming (mostly Kinect games and slower-paced stuff like LA Noire). Audio will all be sent to my AVR, so will probably never turn the internal TV speakers on.

Sorry to be so long-winded - thanks in advance for your feedback...

Demian

The LG has a Sharp panel in it and a very glossy screen. That set is at end of life, so you can get it for a low price. It's also a passive 3D set. The jury is still out on the new edge led Sharps. Best thing to do is to find a store that has both sets available to evaluate them in 2D and 3D mode.
post #1437 of 1646 Old 03-30-2012, 12:29 PM

Thanks for the feedback, Myoda. Haven't decided yet - have been comparing plasmas well now (65" Panasonic Viera VT30, etc.). No easy answers on any of this stuff, although anything will be a huge improvement over what I have now...

Demian
post #1438 of 1646 Old 03-30-2012, 07:12 PM

Can anyone tells me if it is normal for the tv to be tilted back while it is on the stand? The tv does not sit strait up and down while on the stand. I think I have the stand put together correctly.
post #1439 of 1646 Old 03-30-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrakev View Post

Can anyone tells me if it is normal for the tv to be tilted back while it is on the stand? The tv does not sit strait up and down while on the stand. I think I have the stand put together correctly.

Yes. I went through the same thought process and opened a case with Sharp and took pictures and they had a guy come out and confirm that it's normal. Has to do with the size of the TV and not wanting it to tip over.
post #1440 of 1646 Old 03-30-2012, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrakev View Post

I never really noticed because i put a shim under the back right away.
I have a half inch shim running under the back of the base so it tilts forward. The half inch shim is enough to tilt the tv so that the top is actually 2 inches more forward than the bottom of tv.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page