Official Sharp 2011 LC-70LE735U Owners Thread - Page 48 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1411 of 1646 Old 03-22-2012, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Suzook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by csalak View Post

Now you guys are making me regret my decision to go with the 735 vs the 745..

I can still cancel the order??

735 should be the better panel based on specs
Suzook is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1412 of 1646 Old 03-22-2012, 12:24 PM
Newbie
 
csalak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yea I agree. It's always that have to have the new model thought process that sometimes backfires..
csalak is offline  
post #1413 of 1646 Old 03-22-2012, 01:49 PM
Member
 
etype2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Valley of the Sun
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by csalak View Post

Now you guys are making me regret my decision to go with the 735 vs the 745..

I can still cancel the order??

I couldn't wait any longer. Waited for the 68 inch panel to come out in 2010, never happened. Glad I waited. I do like the brushed metal bezel on the 2012 models and sounds like the 9 series 70 or 80 inch is what I'd like to have now.

Since I bought the 735U in December, should be good for 5 or 6 years, by then, hopefully OLED panels will be proficient and cheaper. LG and Samsung both announced 55 inch panels for this year. LG's version just went into production. No prices announced yet. Sony is showing a prototype called Crystalvision. It uses individual LED's as pixels.

Spoiled for 70 inch or larger though. :-)

Personal website dedicated to Vintage Micro TV http://www.visions4.net/journal/time-line/
etype2 is offline  
post #1414 of 1646 Old 03-23-2012, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,670
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Just noticed an oddity with this tv when using the built in apps. Tonight I was watching a show on Netflix and wanted to double check a setting. Strangely enough, when using the app, the color gamut and 10 point adjustment is greyed out in movie mode. So the calibrated movie settings do not carry over to the apps. You can select color temperature and it allows you to adjust the RGB hi and lo, but no 10 point in movie mode. The minute you get out of the app, all the calibrated settings are intact and are used. Wonder why Sharp prevented 10 point movie mode calibrations from working when using apps. Scratching my head on that one.

"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory"
wxman is online now  
post #1415 of 1646 Old 03-24-2012, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
landshark1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 1,438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 56
landshark1 is offline  
post #1416 of 1646 Old 03-24-2012, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Suzook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark1 View Post

For you 735/70" owners, which mount do you use to wall mount such a beast on the wall? Will this be enough? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=37CB10A6G7S56

Perfect
Suzook is offline  
post #1417 of 1646 Old 03-24-2012, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
landshark1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 1,438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

Perfect

Thank you Sir.

p.s. btw it's for the newer 745, not 735 as I just sneaked in to here since I'm sure there's a tons of happy 735 owners who wall mounted theirs.
landshark1 is offline  
post #1418 of 1646 Old 03-24-2012, 11:21 AM
Newbie
 
RGCramer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I am new to this forum and recently purchased a Sharp 735. After lurking for a few days I noticed someone, living in Arizona, has had excellent results with a certain ISF Certified Calibrator but did not mention his name. I had my old Mitsu 55 diamond ISF calibrated in 2000 when I bought it but even thought it works just fine it has been replaced by the 735. I have checked the ISF site for dealers in Arizona and have found many. A large number of them are BestBuys Geek Squad. I would rather not gamble on a random selection. Can someone with experience make a recomendation? If this info is not permitted on the forum please advise me and I will make arrangements for a pm or regular email. Thanks, Bob
RGCramer is offline  
post #1419 of 1646 Old 03-24-2012, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kalani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 1,406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark1 View Post

For you 735/70" owners, which mount do you use to wall mount such a beast on the wall? Will this be enough? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=37CB10A6G7S56

The only downside to one like that is you can't adjust it much. I prefer to be able to tilt large TVs as needed... considering large LCDs have a distinct sweet spot, the ability to angle the set is especially nice. The small downside is it's not going to be quite as flush mounted to the wall, but OTOH, it'll be a LOT easier to access the backside of the set for wiring.

Check out some of the articulating mounts from Monoprice for the same money, or less.
Kalani is offline  
post #1420 of 1646 Old 03-24-2012, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
landshark1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 1,438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGCramer View Post

Hello, I am new to this forum and recently purchased a Sharp 735. After lurking for a few days I noticed someone, living in Arizona, has had excellent results with a certain ISF Certified Calibrator but did not mention his name. I had my old Mitsu 55 diamond ISF calibrated in 2000 when I bought it but even thought it works just fine it has been replaced by the 735. I have checked the ISF site for dealers in Arizona and have found many. A large number of them are BestBuys Geek Squad. I would rather not gamble on a random selection. Can someone with experience make a recomendation? If this info is not permitted on the forum please advise me and I will make arrangements for a pm or regular email. Thanks, Bob

may be here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=139
landshark1 is offline  
post #1421 of 1646 Old 03-24-2012, 06:59 PM
Member
 
etype2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Valley of the Sun
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGCramer View Post

Hello, I am new to this forum and recently purchased a Sharp 735. After lurking for a few days I noticed someone, living in Arizona, has had excellent results with a certain ISF Certified Calibrator but did not mention his name. I had my old Mitsu 55 diamond ISF calibrated in 2000 when I bought it but even thought it works just fine it has been replaced by the 735. I have checked the ISF site for dealers in Arizona and have found many. A large number of them are BestBuys Geek Squad. I would rather not gamble on a random selection. Can someone with experience make a recomendation? If this info is not permitted on the forum please advise me and I will make arrangements for a pm or regular email. Thanks, Bob


Welcome to the forums!

I am that person from Arizona. The calibrator in Scottsdale is Mike Hamilton. He is the best, you probably read my post describing him. If you need more info, let me know.

Personal website dedicated to Vintage Micro TV http://www.visions4.net/journal/time-line/
etype2 is offline  
post #1422 of 1646 Old 03-24-2012, 07:34 PM
Member
 
curiousdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been reading this thread for the past week everyday and I am having a really hard time deciding if I should go for 735U or Panasonic VT30.

I tried searching this topic but didn't find anyone comparing 3d on this set with plasma. How is the 3d compared to plasma especially Panasonic VT30? what about the viewing angle?

So far most people say Plasma offers deep blacks but we don't plan to watch tv in the dark at all. Will the 735U offer enough contrast (deep blacks) for well lit or slightly lit rooms? Is it easy to see clouding issue, dirty screen effect in slightly lit room?
curiousdude is offline  
post #1423 of 1646 Old 03-24-2012, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,670
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousdude View Post

I've been reading this thread for the past week everyday and I am having a really hard time deciding if I should go for 735U or Panasonic VT30.

I tried searching this topic but didn't find anyone comparing 3d on this set with plasma. How is the 3d compared to plasma especially Panasonic VT30? what about the viewing angle?

So far most people say Plasma offers deep blacks but we don't plan to watch tv in the dark at all. Will the 735U offer enough contrast (deep blacks) for well lit or slightly lit rooms? Is it easy to see clouding issue, dirty screen effect in slightly lit room?

The biggest issue with this tv compared to any plasma is off angle viewing. If you have a lot of viewing off to the side, it will be an issue. However, if your main family viewing on a sofa in front of the tv, then there will not be any issues. The tv is bright enough in well lit rooms. Better than plasma. I have both, plasma and now the 735. The plasma is not good in bright rooms, but makes up for it watching in the dark. You can tell the difference. Clouding and DSE may or may not be an issue. It's the luck of the draw with the 735. Some have it, some don't. It will be obvious. I can't give my opinion on 3D LED vs plasma, as this is the first 3D tv I have owned. It handles it quite well IMO. I don't know where you will buy this from, but I got mine from BB, and with the purchase you get upgraded to premium silver membership which give you up to 45 days to test drive it. If you are on the fence, try one for a few weeks. If you don't like it, switch to the other and try that for a few more weeks. If you don't care for either, you are out nothing.

"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory"
wxman is online now  
post #1424 of 1646 Old 03-24-2012, 08:02 PM
Member
 
curiousdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post

The biggest issue with this tv compared to any plasma is off angle viewing. If you have a lot of viewing off to the side, it will be an issue. However, if your main family viewing on a sofa in front of the tv, then there will not be any issues. The tv is bright enough in well lit rooms. Better than plasma. I have both, plasma and now the 735. The plasma is not good in bright rooms, but makes up for it watching in the dark. You can tell the difference. Clouding and DSE may or may not be an issue. It's the luck of the draw with the 735. Some have it, some don't. It will be obvious. I can't give my opinion on 3D LED vs plasma, as this is the first 3D tv I have owned. It handles it quite well IMO. I don't know where you will buy this from, but I got mine from BB, and with the purchase you get upgraded to premium silver membership which give you up to 45 days to test drive it. If you are on the fence, try one for a few weeks. If you don't like it, switch to the other and try that for a few more weeks. If you don't care for either, you are out nothing.

Thanks for the reply. I am leaning towards 735U because I don't want to deal with image retention or burn in issues with Plasma. I will probably be buying from Bestbuy but they are currently asking a lot of money and it's close to 4k with taxes. Not sure if the price will drop anytime soon. I guess I'll pay them a visit tomorrow. thanks again
curiousdude is offline  
post #1425 of 1646 Old 03-25-2012, 10:36 AM
Senior Member
 
paul416's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 444
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by etype2 View Post

I couldn't wait any longer. Waited for the 68 inch panel to come out in 2010, never happened. Glad I waited. I do like the brushed metal bezel on the 2012 models and sounds like the 9 series 70 or 80 inch is what I'd like to have now.

Since I bought the 735U in December, should be good for 5 or 6 years, by then, hopefully OLED panels will be proficient and cheaper. LG and Samsung both announced 55 inch panels for this year. LG's version just went into production. No prices announced yet. Sony is showing a prototype called Crystalvision. It uses individual LED's as pixels.

Spoiled for 70 inch or larger though. :-)

I'm like you. I got my 70735 in Oct last year. I don't think I wouild want anything smaller now than a 70
paul416 is offline  
post #1426 of 1646 Old 03-25-2012, 06:12 PM
Member
 
demroyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I just joined the forums today (although I have read the threads here numerous times in the past), so that I could pose a few questions. My 14-year old rear projections Mitsu died yesterday, and I find myself in the market for a new HDTV at long last. I've been thinking about the 70" Sharp models for a long time, and even toyed with the notion of purchasing the 80" model, although in the end I think the 70" is about the most I can afford. I've sort of zeroed in on the LC-70LE735U (ruled out the 70LE734U since the price is the same online), but have also been looking at the 65" LG Infinia 65LW6500. To complicate matters, the 70LE745U just came out and also looks like a viable contender (and less expensive than the 70LE735U).

From the recent comments, it seems as if people think the 70LE735U is still superior to the 745, but I have been pretty freaked out by all the reports of clouding/DSE with these units. The thought of dropping thousands of dollars for a new TV that may have this problem is somewhat daunting.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the 70LE735U vs. the LG Infinia 65LW6500? The thread for that model has a lot of rave reviews about the advanced features that can be unlocked within the service menu (THX mode, local dimming, etc.) and the price of this TV is about $800 less than the 70LE735U (of course, it is also 5" smaller). It also uses passive 3D, and includes 4 pairs of inexpensive 3D glasses. Although to be fair, I am not all that excited about 3D at home, so may not really explore those features much anyway.

This will probably be a fairly long-term purchase for me, so want to make the best decision I can with the info at hand. Any feedback you may have about these particular models, or the new line coming out by Sharp, would be greatly appreciated

BTW, my plan is to hook the TV up to an Oppo BD-93 Blu-ray player, a DirecTV or FiOS HD DVR, and an XBox 360. Usage ratio is probably 60% TV watching (regular shows, no sports), 20% movies (DVD/BluRay/Netflix streaming), and 20% gaming (mostly Kinect games and slower-paced stuff like LA Noire). Audio will all be sent to my AVR, so will probably never turn the internal TV speakers on.

Sorry to be so long-winded - thanks in advance for your feedback...

Demian
demroyer is offline  
post #1427 of 1646 Old 03-26-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Kalani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 1,406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post

The biggest issue with this tv compared to any plasma is off angle viewing. If you have a lot of viewing off to the side, it will be an issue. However, if your main family viewing on a sofa in front of the tv, then there will not be any issues. The tv is bright enough in well lit rooms. Better than plasma. I have both, plasma and now the 735. The plasma is not good in bright rooms, but makes up for it watching in the dark. You can tell the difference. Clouding and DSE may or may not be an issue. It's the luck of the draw with the 735. Some have it, some don't. It will be obvious. I can't give my opinion on 3D LED vs plasma, as this is the first 3D tv I have owned. It handles it quite well IMO. I don't know where you will buy this from, but I got mine from BB, and with the purchase you get upgraded to premium silver membership which give you up to 45 days to test drive it. If you are on the fence, try one for a few weeks. If you don't like it, switch to the other and try that for a few more weeks. If you don't care for either, you are out nothing.

Just to muddle the pot a bit...

The new 2012 Panasonic VT50 series plasmas (and ST50/GT50) are looking to be significantly brighter than past model years' panels (VT30 and such). Just something to bear in mind... if someone is shopping for 2012 models, comparisons to previous plasmas aren't totally accurate anymore.
Kalani is offline  
post #1428 of 1646 Old 03-26-2012, 12:36 PM
Newbie
 
vegasorbust74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought the tv a month ago and I am so far loving it. I did notice that the colors seem to be a little off so I bought the Disney WOW Blu-Ray Disc to self calibrate. Here are my questions:

1. I understand that you need to be in movie mode with the color gamut set to standard to calibrate, but how can you calibrate the others? For instance I have a PS3 and I want it on game mode, the cable box on user mode, or set up one for sports. So far all I have read is everyone using movie mode for everything.

2. With the color gamut mode set to advanced, can you still use the blue filter?
vegasorbust74 is offline  
post #1429 of 1646 Old 03-26-2012, 01:34 PM
Member
 
etype2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Valley of the Sun
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm having a hard time understanding the reported clouding issue. I saw the pictures posted in this thread and whatever it is, looks awful.

Point: Sharp checks every panel prior to leaving factory. I find it difficult to believe that images like we saw posted, would pass inspection.

Point: My reseller shipped my Sharp 735U upright, strapped to an oversize wood pallet placed at the bottom of the box to prevent the box from being placed on it's side during shipping.

Point: My reseller also placed two shock meters on the box. If the box received rough handling, red die would have been activated and I could have rejected shipment had this happened. My reseller said they put this procedure in place due to too many damaged panels being returned.

Point: A Sharp technician told me that if to much pressure is applied to the surface of the panel, damage could occur. The panel should never be placed on it's side during installation.

I'm curious to know the settings on the panels with reported "clouding". Were the back-light/brightness controls turned up to high?

I have absolutely no clouding issue and in fact the screen uniformity is excellent. I believe care must be exercised though out the shipping and installation process and you will be rewarded with an excellent television. I hope this helps the members who may be on the fence about purchasing this set. Be assured that you will receive a full factory warranty in the event of a mishap.

Personal website dedicated to Vintage Micro TV http://www.visions4.net/journal/time-line/
etype2 is offline  
post #1430 of 1646 Old 03-26-2012, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,670
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasorbust74 View Post

I bought the tv a month ago and I am so far loving it. I did notice that the colors seem to be a little off so I bought the Disney WOW Blu-Ray Disc to self calibrate. Here are my questions:

1. I understand that you need to be in movie mode with the color gamut set to standard to calibrate, but how can you calibrate the others? For instance I have a PS3 and I want it on game mode, the cable box on user mode, or set up one for sports. So far all I have read is everyone using movie mode for everything.

2. With the color gamut mode set to advanced, can you still use the blue filter?

If you want a decent setting game mode setting try the following:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post21577867

It's a calibrated setting for the 732, but works well with the 735. I would leave color gamut at standard for all modes.

"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory"
wxman is online now  
post #1431 of 1646 Old 03-26-2012, 02:57 PM
Newbie
 
vegasorbust74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks wxman...but it seems on the 735 the only way I can turn the color gamut to standard is in movie mode. When I go to game mode or any other mode it is blacked out in the menu with a crossed out circle. Am I doing something wrong? I really don't care for the movie mode, even with the brightness, contrast, or back-light turned way up still seems dull.
vegasorbust74 is offline  
post #1432 of 1646 Old 03-26-2012, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,670
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasorbust74 View Post

Thanks wxman...but it seems on the 735 the only way I can turn the color gamut to standard is in movie mode. When I go to game mode or any other mode it is blacked out in the menu with a crossed out circle. Am I doing something wrong? I really don't care for the movie mode, even with the brightness, contrast, or back-light turned way up still seems dull.

Adjusting the color Gamut from standard to expanded only works in movie mode. So your tv is ok. If you want to boost movie mode a bit, adjust color temperature from low to mid-low. Same with those game mode settings. If you can, get your tv professionally calibrated. It makes a huge difference with this tv when the 10 point calibration is done.

"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory"
wxman is online now  
post #1433 of 1646 Old 03-27-2012, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
strutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Statesville,NC
Posts: 1,510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by etype2 View Post

I'm having a hard time understanding the reported clouding issue. I saw the pictures posted in this thread and whatever it is, looks awful.

Point: Sharp checks every panel prior to leaving factory. I find it difficult to believe that images like we saw posted, would pass inspection.

Point: My reseller shipped my Sharp 735U upright, strapped to an oversize wood pallet placed at the bottom of the box to prevent the box from being placed on it's side during shipping.

Point: My reseller also placed two shock meters on the box. If the box received rough handling, red die would have been activated and I could have rejected shipment had this happened. My reseller said they put this procedure in place due to too many damaged panels being returned.

Point: A Sharp technician told me that if to much pressure is applied to the surface of the panel, damage could occur. The panel should never be placed on it's side during installation.

I'm curious to know the settings on the panels with reported "clouding". Were the back-light/brightness controls turned up to high?

I have absolutely no clouding issue and in fact the screen uniformity is excellent. I believe care must be exercised though out the shipping and installation process and you will be rewarded with an excellent television. I hope this helps the members who may be on the fence about purchasing this set. Be assured that you will receive a full factory warranty in the event of a mishap.

interesting obsevations...however. my set came from bestbuy..not sure how they shipped or stored it. but it was brought out to me on a hand truck short side down and loaded into my pickup truck laying flat. traveled 40 miles like that..unloaded and carried in the house by my girlfriend and myself. unboxed and laid flat on its back..then the stand assembled and installed acording to instructions which tells you to lay the set flat, screen side down. which i used the kitchen table for. and im happy to say that other than slight viginet in the corners, screen uniformity is great. i see no clouding either in factory mode or adjusted to settings posted here. so, although im sure some of these sets are handled roughly in transit..im not sure at what point the handleing is rough enough to cause clouding..certainly my handling wasnt

Let the awe and mystery of a journey unlike any other begin
SharpLC70LE735U,SonyKDSR60XBR2,KlipschSynergyIII,PanasonicDMPDT210,Oppo981,DenonAVR683,Harmony880,MDN v3.2.0-5

strutter is offline  
post #1434 of 1646 Old 03-27-2012, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,670
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 182
If that is the case about clouding, why does Sharp consider that some clouding is acceptable? They have already rejected some claims for replacement for minor clouding. I highly doubt sharp checks for clouding on each panel in a totally dark room before shipping. The factories are brightly lit which makes it hard to see clouding, if the actually qc all of them at all. Most likely they check a couple out of each batch.

"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory"
wxman is online now  
post #1435 of 1646 Old 03-27-2012, 04:06 PM
Member
 
boxer82003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone try theses glasseshttp://truedepth3d.com/

post your feedback

are they any lighter?
boxer82003 is offline  
post #1436 of 1646 Old 03-30-2012, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
myoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by demroyer View Post

Hi,

I just joined the forums today (although I have read the threads here numerous times in the past), so that I could pose a few questions. My 14-year old rear projections Mitsu died yesterday, and I find myself in the market for a new HDTV at long last. I've been thinking about the 70" Sharp models for a long time, and even toyed with the notion of purchasing the 80" model, although in the end I think the 70" is about the most I can afford. I've sort of zeroed in on the LC-70LE735U (ruled out the 70LE734U since the price is the same online), but have also been looking at the 65" LG Infinia 65LW6500. To complicate matters, the 70LE745U just came out and also looks like a viable contender (and less expensive than the 70LE735U).

From the recent comments, it seems as if people think the 70LE735U is still superior to the 745, but I have been pretty freaked out by all the reports of clouding/DSE with these units. The thought of dropping thousands of dollars for a new TV that may have this problem is somewhat daunting.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the 70LE735U vs. the LG Infinia 65LW6500? The thread for that model has a lot of rave reviews about the advanced features that can be unlocked within the service menu (THX mode, local dimming, etc.) and the price of this TV is about $800 less than the 70LE735U (of course, it is also 5" smaller). It also uses passive 3D, and includes 4 pairs of inexpensive 3D glasses. Although to be fair, I am not all that excited about 3D at home, so may not really explore those features much anyway.

This will probably be a fairly long-term purchase for me, so want to make the best decision I can with the info at hand. Any feedback you may have about these particular models, or the new line coming out by Sharp, would be greatly appreciated

BTW, my plan is to hook the TV up to an Oppo BD-93 Blu-ray player, a DirecTV or FiOS HD DVR, and an XBox 360. Usage ratio is probably 60% TV watching (regular shows, no sports), 20% movies (DVD/BluRay/Netflix streaming), and 20% gaming (mostly Kinect games and slower-paced stuff like LA Noire). Audio will all be sent to my AVR, so will probably never turn the internal TV speakers on.

Sorry to be so long-winded - thanks in advance for your feedback...

Demian

The LG has a Sharp panel in it and a very glossy screen. That set is at end of life, so you can get it for a low price. It's also a passive 3D set. The jury is still out on the new edge led Sharps. Best thing to do is to find a store that has both sets available to evaluate them in 2D and 3D mode.
myoda is offline  
post #1437 of 1646 Old 03-30-2012, 12:29 PM
Member
 
demroyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the feedback, Myoda. Haven't decided yet - have been comparing plasmas well now (65" Panasonic Viera VT30, etc.). No easy answers on any of this stuff, although anything will be a huge improvement over what I have now...

Demian
demroyer is offline  
post #1438 of 1646 Old 03-30-2012, 07:12 PM
Newbie
 
cobrakev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone tells me if it is normal for the tv to be tilted back while it is on the stand? The tv does not sit strait up and down while on the stand. I think I have the stand put together correctly.
cobrakev is offline  
post #1439 of 1646 Old 03-30-2012, 07:53 PM
Senior Member
 
neil0311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 259
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrakev View Post

Can anyone tells me if it is normal for the tv to be tilted back while it is on the stand? The tv does not sit strait up and down while on the stand. I think I have the stand put together correctly.

Yes. I went through the same thought process and opened a case with Sharp and took pictures and they had a guy come out and confirm that it's normal. Has to do with the size of the TV and not wanting it to tip over.
neil0311 is offline  
post #1440 of 1646 Old 03-30-2012, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,670
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrakev View Post

Can anyone tells me if it is normal for the tv to be tilted back while it is on the stand? The tv does not sit strait up and down while on the stand. I think I have the stand put together correctly.

I never really noticed because i put a shim under the back right away.
I have a half inch shim running under the back of the base so it tilts forward. The half inch shim is enough to tilt the tv so that the top is actually 2 inches more forward than the bottom of tv.

"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory"
wxman is online now  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off