post #1561 of 1646 Old 04-30-2012, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpster 69 View Post

Unfortunately the thread is 52 pages long I would love to find one of the previous calibrations.

Then do a search.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 1646 Old 05-01-2012, 02:21 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I waited so long for LC-70LE735U and still cannot find it for less than $2800 and I believe that the 8 series perform as good as the LC-70LE735U as they all have quad pixel pannels, the only question I have is how big is a diffrence in brightness between the full array and edge lit ones, any one seen them side by side ? I want to pull the trigger on one of the latest here.
post #1563 of 1646 Old 05-01-2012, 04:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Couple of questions....

1. Is movie mode the only setting on the TV to turn the color gamut to standard? The problem is, it seems almost impossible to calibrate this Tv with color gamut in expanded?

2. Does anyone else have the yellow "crossing guard" sign problem? If I have my TV set to anything with color gamut expanded (game mode, dynamic) it makes that one exact yellow color used for crossing guard signs... green. I used one person's calibration for game mode, and the image looked great, except that one color.

3. I would like to get the TV set up for different viewing options. Game Mode for the PS3, movie mode for movies, and user mode for watching sports...by having the 120 hz high on. The problem I see, is everyone uses movie mode for everything because you can turn the expanded color gamut. Does anyone have any other settings they use for the others?
post #1564 of 1646 Old 05-01-2012, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post

I waited so long for LC-70LE735U and still cannot find it for less than $2800 and I believe that the 8 series perform as good as the LC-70LE735U as they all have quad pixel pannels, the only question I have is how big is a diffrence in brightness between the full array and edge lit ones, any one seen them side by side ? I want to pull the trigger on one of the latest here.

I have the 733 which is not a 3D set, but it is full array backlit. Looking at the other edge lit sets, I can't honestly see a lot of difference between them at Costco. But in my home the full array is the brightest evenly lit screen I have ever seen. And in HD is fantastic! Just my observation.
post #1565 of 1646 Old 05-03-2012, 05:05 PM

Back in February 2012 I ordered the 735 from NYC. I live in Houston. Apparently they use a local shipping company. It was taking 3 weeks to get my tv. It was in a warehouse in Memphis, Tennessee for a week. When I called the shipper to see when it would be delivered, I found out they dropped it off the skid and broke it!!!!!!!! Not just mine, but 4 others!!! I couldn't get another one because no one had them. I was told to wait until the end of March, beginning of April for the 847. Now that I'm ready to buy, I was going to get the 847 but I saw that the 735 is available again, and the 735 is more expensive than the 847. I read that the 735 has a better picture because it's backlit and the 847 is side lit. Which one would you recommend and why? Thanks!
post #1566 of 1646 Old 05-04-2012, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legal22 View Post

Back in February 2012 I ordered the 735 from NYC. I live in Houston. Apparently they use a local shipping company. It was taking 3 weeks to get my tv. It was in a warehouse in Memphis, Tennessee for a week. When I called the shipper to see when it would be delivered, I found out they dropped it off the skid and broke it!!!!!!!! Not just mine, but 4 others!!! I couldn't get another one because no one had them. I was told to wait until the end of March, beginning of April for the 847. Now that I'm ready to buy, I was going to get the 847 but I saw that the 735 is available again, and the 735 is more expensive than the 847. I read that the 735 has a better picture because it's backlit and the 847 is side lit. Which one would you recommend and why? Thanks!

Have to be honest here. I don't know anything about the 847. I do know the 733U. I LOVE IT! You might want to read my post #3673 on AVS at this URL: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...325652&page=62

It might give you some help in making your decision. The edge lit 60" was very good too, but I believe that for such a large screen as a 70", the full array will be far better. Just my thoughts.

You might check Costco and see what they have in stock. They now even are carrying the 80". MONSTER size! Expensive though.
post #1567 of 1646 Old 05-04-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legal22 View Post

The 735 is slightly cheaper on Amazon, fwiw.

I bought a 735u about a month ago and it ended up having some pretty severe clouding issues. So I sent it back earlier this week, and ordered another one. I never even considered the 847 because I had already decided I wanted the backlit version, and it was cheaper anyway.

Speaking of shipping companies, my new set shipped from Arizona to Michigan on Tuesday, and made it to the destination point in Michigan late last night. However, instead of sending it out for residential delivery this morning, they left it behind because their delivery date had always been Monday. They didn't even think to ask to call and see if we'd be able to handle a short notice delivery. I checked the shipping tracker this morning, saw that it had arrived in Michigan, and gave them a call; They told me "Oh, if you had called 30 minutes earlier we could have sent it out today, but all of our trucks are gone now." Infuriating.
post #1568 of 1646 Old 05-07-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpster 69 View Post

Unfortunately the thread is 52 pages long I would love to find one of the previous calibrations.

Here's a site that gives you 'majority' calibration settings - just a starting point, professional calibration is ideal.

http://www.tweaktv.com/tweak-my-tv/c...c70le735u.html

My List
post #1569 of 1646 Old 05-07-2012, 05:23 PM

Am I missing something here, if so can someone please clarify...

I went to the website

...to see the calibration settings they recommend for the Sharp. It seems to only come up with one recommended calibration. They recommend using movie mode with the aspect ratio on stretch? That doesn't make any sense to me...outside of that everything is set to factory default.

That isn't much of a tweak when calibrating the TV...
post #1570 of 1646 Old 05-08-2012, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasorbust74 View Post

I went to the website

...to see the calibration settings they recommend for the Sharp. It seems to only come up with one recommended calibration. They recommend using movie mode with the aspect ratio on stretch? That doesn't make any sense to me...outside of that everything is set to factory default.

Yeah that link is no help at all..
Here is what I did to calibrate all my screens, I usualy connect my laptop via HDMI to the TV or monitor that I want to calibrate and load RGB screen from file with the following values:

Color-----Red------Green----Blue----Hex Value

Red-------255------0---------0-------#ff0000
Green-----0--------255-------0-------#008000
Blue-------0--------0---------255-----#0000ff
White-----255------255------255-----#ffffff
Black------0--------0---------0-------#000000

I usualy make it by entering the Hex values and I make little two white and black square on the top of each color for reference to see all 3 pixles are lit on white and are all off on black, then I tweak the RGB, saturation and hue setting until only red pixels on the red zone, only green pixels on the green zone and only bleu pixels on the bleu zone are displayed using a magnifying glass it takes some time to get the unwanted pixels 100% off on LCD panels it's little easier on plasma panels, than I load the gray template to adjust the contrast until the fine lines can still be seen, As of the brightness and back light I adjust that according to room light condition, I always use my manual settings never used those preset modes such as movie/game..etc.
post #1571 of 1646 Old 05-08-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasorbust74 View Post

I went to the website

Where do you see recomeded calibration settings for the 735U in the Tweak TV article? All I see is the pre and post calibration 2D and 3D settings in PDF Calman Pro files.

Personal website dedicated to Vintage Micro TV
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1572 of 1646 Old 05-09-2012, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

The "proffessional calibration" values for this specific model are available on this website and online, just enter them, there is no special connector for this TV that a proffessional can access and you don't.

Sorry, been away on vacation.

Specific model is irrelevant. Point is, there are manufacturing variations that often result in different values being appropriate for two sets of the EXACT SAME MODEL television... particularly those that come from different manufacturing runs. No two TVs are truly the same outside of pure luck/coincidence.

In the end, as others have noted here, the calibration values listed online by calibrators will often (but not always) do a "nice job" of getting you into the ballpark... but unless you're very lucky and your individual set happens to be very very close to the originally-calibrated set, there will still be further benefit available from a true calibration of YOUR set.
post #1573 of 1646 Old 05-20-2012, 06:10 AM

Anyone applied the latest firmware update available on Sharp's website date 4/30/2012?

When the set queries via the auto update function, it doesn't find an update, so I'm wondering if this update is truly ONLY removal of the defunct online services, or are there any other new bugfixes or updates included. Anyone update with this?

http://www.sharpusa.com/CustomerSupp...l=LC-70LE735U&
post #1574 of 1646 Old 05-20-2012, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post

Anyone applied the latest firmware update available on Sharp's website date 4/30/2012?

When the set queries via the auto update function, it doesn't find an update, so I'm wondering if this update is truly ONLY removal of the defunct online services, or are there any other new bugfixes or updates included. Anyone update with this?

http://www.sharpusa.com/CustomerSupp...l=LC-70LE735U&

I did not apply the update. I'm always a little leery about updates especially with some of the problems vizio owners have had. Since the tv is working fine, I let the sleeping dog lie.
post #1575 of 1646 Old 05-20-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post

Anyone applied the latest firmware update available on Sharp's website date 4/30/2012? When the set queries via the auto update function, it doesn't find an update, so I'm wondering if this update is truly ONLY removal of the defunct online services, or are there any other new bugfixes or updates included. Anyone update with this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post

I did not apply the update. I'm always a little leery about updates especially with some of the problems vizio owners have had. Since the tv is working fine, I let the sleeping dog lie.

On my 733U, I did try to install it, but it continuously failed. Ultimately, I went to Sharp's website, found the download, and downloaded it to a flash drive, and uploaded it into the TV via the USB port. All went fine. Didn't see any revolutionary improvements. "This Firmware Update removes the streaming apps Blockbuster, Alphaline and Napster due to those streaming services no longer being available."

But the update didn't hurt anything. It would have been nicer if the automatic download and update worked like it did on an earlier update, but for some unknown reason, this one didn't. Oh well. BTW, the 733U firmware update (Version: 311U1204061) is the same one for the 735U.
post #1576 of 1646 Old 05-20-2012, 10:14 PM

On my Sharp LC70LE735U I find that on dark scenes would distort dark clothing and dark hair within the scene, seems to be on material that may have high compression on Direct TV. Had the set calibrated but still get this on certain material. Has anyone else seen this on their sets? (looks like bad pixelation)
post #1577 of 1646 Old 05-20-2012, 10:56 PM

I saw a much improved dark corner problem but still has a faint tint. I agree with Rogo on how many sku's they have but I took a gamble on the panel being different as it's 3-D and hoped for a little brighter picture than my 732 was. I still have to wait till the 23rd to get the glasses so I can't comment on anything else about the set till it gets calibrated too. I have 45 days to upgrade or return.I wonder who will carry the X5FD and what it will cost??? Any info on it as far as what panels it will use? 30 days to get it calibrated which is disapointing but thats what you get from BB but I was only charged the price difference.

post #1578 of 1646 Old 05-21-2012, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post

That's why I'm asking the question. I don't want to update ONLY to remove the defunct streaming services, so was curious if anyone has loaded and if any other update/fixes were includeded.

If they released an update ONLY to remove the old services, then just like you I'll let this one pass.
post #1579 of 1646 Old 05-21-2012, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by apana View Post

On my Sharp LC70LE735U I find that on dark scenes would distort dark clothing and dark hair within the scene, seems to be on material that may have high compression on Direct TV. Had the set calibrated but still get this on certain material. Has anyone else seen this on their sets? (looks like bad pixelation)

I have seen this too on Netflix, even after calibration. Looks likes a compression issue. Saw it a few times on one of the local OTA stations too, but most of the times it occurs with Netflix. Compression artifacts really stick out on large screens.
post #1580 of 1646 Old 05-22-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:

It turns out that LC-70LE735U hasn't been discontinued yet, and they will have some other full array units coming out this summer, here is a copy & past e-mail I got from Sharp Tech Support:
"Dear Xxxxxx,
We are happy to help. This model has not yet been discontinued. We do have a full array 70" 3D unit coming out this year, and it is our LC70LE945U. It is slated for Summer release. Here are some of the specifications of the unit.
240Hz / Quattron 4-color / 3D / Quad Pixel Plus 2 / Full Array Backlit / Local Dimming panels. Built in Wifi and Full Smart Central UI, Web browser and global apps search."
The WiFi is kind of cool, but not necessary.

The 735 already has built in Wifi, and it's actually a better incarnation of 802.11N that supports not only 2.4 Ghz 802.11N but also 5Ghz as well.

The TV is able to connect to 5Ghz 802.11 networks, which most consumer AV gear lack this functionality (the iPhone 4 and 4S come to mind)
post #1581 of 1646 Old 05-23-2012, 04:33 AM

Well unfortunately for the UK as the 836 (US 735) has only been out a few weeks, they came back to me stating no plans for new models during 2012.....

I also got a reply from Kevin Miller over on HiDef advising to go for the non Quattron version...

Decisions, decisions.....
post #1582 of 1646 Old 05-25-2012, 10:38 AM

hi,
i am interested in 70" sharp led tv...

there are so many models and i dont know which one to get... which ones should i get?
is there a chart on which one has which and which one doesnt have what? so it will be easier to compare.. thank you
post #1583 of 1646 Old 05-27-2012, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac5881 View Post

hi,
i am interested in 70" sharp led tv...

there are so many models and i dont know which one to get... which ones should i get?
is there a chart on which one has which and which one doesnt have what? so it will be easier to compare.. thank you

http://www.sharpusa.com/ForHome/Home...nsizefilter=70

post #1584 of 1646 Old 06-01-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apana View Post

I see the same thing on Dish Network. Posted about it several months ago. Agree that it is compression effects.
Best,
WPS
post #1585 of 1646 Old 06-02-2012, 08:30 PM

After going back and forth for almost a year now, and comparing all Sharp 70" 3D models the 735U realy stands out, so my final decision is no dought the 735U, my local frys store selling it for $4200 and east cost TVs selling it online for $2,292.22 after coupon applied. My question is anyone dealt with east coast TVs ? please share your experience because I don't feel like buying this TV twice that price at the local stores.
post #1586 of 1646 Old 06-04-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:

After going back and forth for almost a year now, and comparing all Sharp 70" 3D models the 735U realy stands out, so my final decision is no dought the 735U, my local frys store selling it for $4200 and east cost TVs selling it online for $2,292.22 after coupon applied. My question is anyone dealt with east coast TVs ? please share your experience because I don't feel like buying this TV twice that price at the local stores.

That is dirt cheap! I bought mine in November, just a week after black Friday, from them and it was way more than that. Of course, the more expensive shipping was involved which they'll try to sell to you.
No regrets! TV is still going strong and experienced none of the complaints being posted by other people.
post #1587 of 1646 Old 06-06-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterTheSwamp View Post

Does the 735 convert standard shows into 3d?

Yes
post #1588 of 1646 Old 06-08-2012, 02:40 PM

Liked: 15
So if you had to choose between the 735U and the 847U at the same price, which would you pick?

TV = Panasonic P65VT50 Plasma Ass-Kicker
Receiver = Sony STRDH720 7.1 Channel 3D AV Receiver
BR = Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Intergrated Wi-Fi 3D BR/DVD
Speakers/Subwoofer = Martin Logan MLT-2 5.1 Channel
Game System = XBox 360, Wii
Cable = Bright House HD
post #1589 of 1646 Old 06-09-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateDoggg View Post

So if you had to choose between the 735U and the 847U at the same price, which would you pick?
735u is a decent quality full array LED TV pretty close to elite series of Sharp, 847u and brothers are just cheaply made edge lit TV"s for the average user.
post #1590 of 1646 Old 06-09-2012, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
I wouldn't put the 735 even in the same stratosphere especially pq wise. I would say that it holds up well against the edge lit Samsung crowd and miles above log and other secondary LCD makers. I've owned a 735 briefly, also own the 70 elite and even have an 80 632 so I have had a chance to do a lot of side by side.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page