Official Sharp 2011 LC-70LE735U Owners Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1646 Old 09-09-2011, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Alright, I was just getting ready to order this set. I was even dialing the phone to order while I was looking through other threads and noticed that some people are saying that you can't completely get rid of the soap opera effect. I have read that using Movie mode and turning off Film Mode would get rid of it, but then some are saying it won't.

I can't stand SOE. I'd rather not watch TV than have to watch that crap. If I order a TV online it's really difficult to return it if I find that I can't eliminate this "feature". The only local shop that has the display is Best Buy and they have it hooked up to their never ending loop of crap, so it's impossible to view regular content. Can someone tell me, for sure, that I can get rid of this? I'd hate to throw away that much money for something that I will resent for years. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1646 Old 09-09-2011, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob13654 View Post

Alright, I was just getting ready to order this set. I was even dialing the phone to order while I was looking through other threads and noticed that some people are saying that you can't completely get rid of the soap opera effect. I have read that using Movie mode and turning off Film Mode would get rid of it, but then some are saying it won't.

I can't stand SOE. I'd rather not watch TV than have to watch that crap. If I order a TV online it's really difficult to return it if I find that I can't eliminate this "feature". The only local shop that has the display is Best Buy and they have it hooked up to their never ending loop of crap, so it's impossible to view regular content. Can someone tell me, for sure, that I can get rid of this? I'd hate to throw away that much money for something that I will resent for years. Thanks.

I have absolutely no SOE in Movie Mode with Film Mode off.
post #183 of 1646 Old 09-09-2011, 07:21 PM

Liked: 17
Even arch competitor LG (the active 3D trasher) is eating its words now and switching to Sharp active 3D panels:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1359396
post #184 of 1646 Old 09-09-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwc3 View Post

Yeah, that's the one I really want!

Without a doubt this will be next year hot model: 80", 240Hz and 3D.
post #185 of 1646 Old 09-09-2011, 07:29 PM

For 3D make certain the sharpness is set to zero, as otherwise there are glassy outlines most noticeable in high contrast edges.
Its easy to mistake it for ghosting. I think its a bug.
post #186 of 1646 Old 09-09-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choptop32 View Post

so does this set produce the Soap Opera Effect or not?

I'm posting if you promise not to ask again. There is some good information here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post20925322

There are several intertwining effects here. For the least SOE get one of the new 3D DLP front projectors. The extremely fast pixel switching times accurately portray film grain with the highest fidelity. Plasma is quit fast too. This year LCD has made remarkable strides in speeding up pixel response times so the film grain may be more accurately displayed.

With the technology changing so fast, SOE is a moving target. Its also a personal preference and eyesight dependent. I just saw Pappilon and it looked like film to me. I never use noise reduction. What is really nice about the Sharp 735 is the reduction in compression artifacts. Picture look clean like a from a quality still digital camera.

I would add in a film grain (noise) control to keep the die-hards happy.
post #187 of 1646 Old 09-09-2011, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Oh man I am so torn. I want to pick this set up in the next couple days but at the same time I'd love to be able to hold out for the 80" coming out and try to wait for that to hit around $4,000. What to do what to do. Does anybody think the 80" would be a huge step down from this since it's considered a base model? I also like that this 70" 735 has 3D and 240hz even if it's not a true 240hz. It sure would be nice next week to have the huge 70" for the Star Wars blu-rays!
post #188 of 1646 Old 09-09-2011, 08:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Think about this, stars wars would be amazing in 3D, even if it was 2D to 3D conversion. The 80" is all size...thats it. I am sure it will be just like every Edge Lit, Back lit, non local dimming LED.... Good !
post #189 of 1646 Old 09-09-2011, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Think about this, stars wars would be amazing in 3D, even if it was 2D to 3D conversion. The 80" is all size...thats it. I am sure it will be just like every Edge Lit, Back lit, non local dimming LED.... Good !

Oh yeah, I bet the Podrace sequence and some others would look really cool in 3D. ! So I know you give the 735 big thumbs up, is it in your opinion then the 80" won't be near as good regarding pq? I'd really hate to wait and then find out the 80" pq isn't near as good as the 735. That's the only reason I'm not going with the Mits 82" or 92" DLP sets, they just aren't as sharp (no pun intended ) as these LCD sets and I love frame interpolation which they don't have. I used to have a front projector setup but no longer have that dedicated room and am looking to go with something the whole family can enjoy anytime of day or night and want to go as big as I can with the tv and I really think this Sharp looks to be a fantastic choice.
post #190 of 1646 Old 09-09-2011, 10:32 PM

I've been researching TVs for a year now and had high hopes for the 65inch Samsung, then the 60 inch Samsung, then high expectations for the Sony 65 inch 929. I swore I wouldn't buy another Sharp, but... I saw the LC-70LE735U tonight... It looked amazing. They claim it was just out of the box with no calibration. No motion blur, no pixielization, no shadows/darkness in the corners. Didn't get to check the 3d though. I think I may go for it.
post #191 of 1646 Old 09-09-2011, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
creative, where did you see it?
post #192 of 1646 Old 09-09-2011, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Forever the positive person you are :-)
post #193 of 1646 Old 09-09-2011, 10:50 PM

best buy, magnolia. They had the 70inch Elite as well, but not fully setup yet.
post #194 of 1646 Old 09-10-2011, 12:35 AM
Advanced Member

Does anybody think this tv will have some really good pricing around Black Friday? I'd like to buy now but then again the holidays will be here before you know it and I can easily wait it out if I thought I could get a great deal on this set.
post #195 of 1646 Old 09-10-2011, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

So the 735 is LED backlit while the 80" is gonna be LED edge lit? Is backlit much better than edge lit? I'd think backlit would provide a better uniform picture?
post #196 of 1646 Old 09-10-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

I'm posting if you promise not to ask again.

the only reason I kept asking, is no one had answered the question... note the question has now been answered, but not in any of your posts. Thanks anyway
post #197 of 1646 Old 09-10-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Indy View Post

Does anybody think this tv will have some really good pricing around Black Friday? I'd like to buy now but then again the holidays will be here before you know it and I can easily wait it out if I thought I could get a great deal on this set.

From what I've seen from previous BF, it's usually last year model that is onsale. Rarely that they list current year.
post #198 of 1646 Old 09-11-2011, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Indy View Post

So the 735 is LED backlit while the 80" is gonna be LED edge lit? Is backlit much better than edge lit? I'd think backlit would provide a better uniform picture?

Depends on the implementation.

The current crop of Sharp 70" sets all have full LED backlighing but suffer from darnening in the corners of the screen.

Edge lit sets typically suffer from flashlighing, which shows up as extra light in the corners, especially visible in dark scenes.

If Sharp does a better job of implenting edge lighting on their 80", they might achieve better screen uniformity than the poorly implented full backlighting on their current sets.

Only time will tell, but each of these sets is built to a certain price point, so don't expect Champagne performance on a Budwiser budget.
post #199 of 1646 Old 09-12-2011, 02:50 PM

Post up pix of your 70" setup...I'm having layout issues & am curious to see how other s handle their setups
post #200 of 1646 Old 09-12-2011, 09:50 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeoutleh View Post

best buy, magnolia. They had the 70inch Elite as well, but not fully setup yet.

Did a back to back in-store today at Best Buy with the 70" Elite vs. 735U and with a few quick setup menu changes to each it was really tough to spot any reason whatsoever to spend more than DOUBLE the 735's cost on the Elite.

People are really reaching a bit to justify the Elite purchase in the other thread, even the blacks weren't superior enough on the Elite to justify that big of a premium...

Put it this way: The Elite would have had to be within say $750 to make it compelling enough to upgrade to over the 735 based on what I saw. There wasn't nearly enough IQ superiority with the Elite, even with dedicated Blu-ray players (non-split) playing identical content.
post #201 of 1646 Old 09-12-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob13654 View Post

Went by Best Buy today and looked at the 735. I noticed they had the 70X5 Elite so I checked that out as well. The 735 didn't look great, but they were playing their promotional loop that was split to about 30 TVs and none of them really looked very good.

The Elite on the other hand had a dedicated BD player showing Star Trek (2009) and it looked amazing. I really need a new TV and I was thinking about the 735. I just can't bring myself to pay $8,000 for a TV. It's not a matter of affording it, it's just that I think that price is crazy. I know the 735 will look better when it is calibrated and hooked up to a decent source, but will it ever be able to have a picture that is somewhat close to the Elites? I wish I never saw the 70X5.

See my post above. If you had been viewing identical content with similar settings I think you'd be less worried about the Elite at ANY price...
post #202 of 1646 Old 09-12-2011, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

mako you may be right, you may be wrong. the beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have convinced myself that the base model car makes sense financially but the performance appeal of the top of the line speaks to me. Its why we have Fords and Ferrari's. I for one am purchasing the elite not for bragging rights etc but because I think its the best performing tv out in the market today bar none. How you rationalize your purchase can be different than the guy behind you. Go out and enjoy it. However know this, av people tend to be never satisfied and always looking for the next best thing
post #203 of 1646 Old 09-12-2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafish721 View Post

OK, I have finally dialed in the picture and it looks AWESOME! I used the youtube settings primarily but they omitted a few settings so I added settings from a different pro calibration. Here are my exact settings on the 735.

AV mode--Movie

OPC off (I have been keeping this on during daytime viewing because it makes the picture brighter in full sunlight)

Backlight 0 (standard)
Contrast +38
Brightness -8
Color +8
Tint 0
Sharpness +3

Advanced

CMS Hue
R +11
Y +17
G +11
C +30
B +13
M +1

CMS Saturation
R +7
Y +8
G +8
C +9
B +3
M +3

CMS Value
R +15
Y +20
G +25
C +30
B +4
M +14

Color Gamut Range Standard

Color Temp Low

10 point setting off

R gain(LO) -2
G gain (LO) 0
B gain (LO) +17
R gain (HI) +1
G gain (HI) -9
B gain (HI) +5

Motion Enhancement 120 Low (You can change this to Aquamotion 240 for sports if you want to for fast moving objects like baseball and football but it slightly darkens the screen)

Quad Pixel Plus off
Active Contrast off
Gamma -1
Film Mode off
Digital Noise Reduction off
Monochrome off
Range of OPC Max +16 Min +5

Thanks for the info, do you notice any difference with Quad Pixel Plus on or off? Also how is the 3D performance? Can you compare it with say a Panasonic plasma 3D which I think is the best implementation of 3D (that I've personally seen). Any crosstalk? Are the glasses comfortable? I'm thinking about getting the 735. Thanks,
post #204 of 1646 Old 09-13-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

mako you may be right, you may be wrong. the beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have convinced myself that the base model car makes sense financially but the performance appeal of the top of the line speaks to me. Its why we have Fords and Ferrari's. I for one am purchasing the elite not for bragging rights etc but because I think its the best performing tv out in the market today bar none. How you rationalize your purchase can be different than the guy behind you. Go out and enjoy it. However know this, av people tend to be never satisfied and always looking for the next best thing

The problem here is that it's not a "Ford Ferrari" trade off. Not even close.

These are a hair's width apart, despite the marketing, and for the price of the Elite you can buy two 735Us and 4x x 3D Glasses...

Get them both running the same content, with similar overall settings, watch them for an hour, then come back and we'll engage in a more informed debate. I've done exactly that process and was shocked at how slight the differences really were.

Just my two cents.
post #205 of 1646 Old 09-13-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako88888 View Post

The problem here is that it's not a "Ford Ferrari" trade off. Not even close.

These are a hair's width apart, despite the marketing, and for the price of the Elite you can buy two 735Us and 4x x 3D Glasses...

Get them both running the same content, with similar overall settings, watch them for an hour, then come back and we'll engage in a more informed debate. I've done exactly that process and was shocked at how slight the differences really were.

Just my two cents.

I agree Mako. I have not done an A/B side by side comparison but there is a point of diminishing returns. $3400 vs $8000 is a monster jump. I would MUCH rather have an 80" 3D version of the 735 than the 5-10% increase in PQ. It would also probably be far less expensive than the 70" "Ferrari".

To each their own.
post #206 of 1646 Old 09-14-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtelevision View Post

Thanks for the info, do you notice any difference with Quad Pixel Plus on or off? Also how is the 3D performance? Can you compare it with say a Panasonic plasma 3D which I think is the best implementation of 3D (that I've personally seen). Any crosstalk? Are the glasses comfortable? I'm thinking about getting the 735. Thanks,

Don't notice much of a difference between Quad Pixel Plus on or off. I haven't done any 3D viewing except the demo.
post #207 of 1646 Old 09-14-2011, 12:28 PM

So after a year of research and Sharp not really being on my research list I purchased the Sharp LC70LE735U. What caught my attention was picture quality immediately, which is well what most people want out of a TV in the first place. I did endless circles between Best Buy and Fry's and I have to say that out off all the high end Samsung's, and Sony's, I felt this is the one that has the best picture quality period. The Sony 929 was the next runner up, but the quality control, banding, and production delays of the 65 make it pointless/impossible to buy. On top of that the price point of the Sharp was much better.

I did compare it to the 70 inch Elite and I have to agree that the quality of the Elite wasn't that much better. I thought the off-angle viewing of the Elite wasn't quite right either. In my opinion spending the extra money for the Elite isn't worth it. But it is a nice TV.

If there was any negative of the 735 it would be that I wasn't overly impressed with the 3d, but I haven't been on any other TV either.

It should be delivered today and I'll try to follow-up with pics.
post #208 of 1646 Old 09-14-2011, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

please post your pics and thoughts. always in need of alternatives !!!!
post #209 of 1646 Old 09-14-2011, 04:46 PM

Just a little something I saw today at BB. I was watching Planet Earth on the floor model 70 elite and noticed on the right side of the screen, about a 1/2 inch in from the bezel a thin, red vertical line going from top to bottom. It had the intensity of a laser beam and of course once it's noticed it's all you can look at. I'm not saying that every 70 elite will have this but this one did. It is food for thought anyway, to me 8k means no defects.
post #210 of 1646 Old 09-14-2011, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

its also a possibility it was damaged during shipment. My first Samsung UN65C8000 which cost close to 6k had the same thing
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page