Old 10-14-2011, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KONICA TECH View Post

Did you do this at a Costco or online?

I actually did mine online, it was a piece of cake, they send you an email with how to activate maybe 30 minutes after you order. They also have it in store as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2011, 01:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I also use med/1.9 with backlight at 55 and bright at 49

I purchased the WOW disc and was surprised to see that 1.9 Gamma The tracking seemed poor.

I went with the following which I am trusting the disc over the built-in pattern.

Backlight. 40
Brightness. 58
Contrast. 94
Dimming. Medium
Gamma set at 2.4. Measures at 2.0 using
WOW disc.
The dimming does not seem to stay on at 50. The blacks seem very good with excellent shadow detail.
Old 10-15-2011, 02:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by videkid View Post

I purchased the WOW disc and was surprised to see that 1.9 Gamma The tracking seemed poor.

I went with the following which I am trusting the disc over the built-in pattern.

Backlight. 40
Brightness. 58
Contrast. 94
Dimming. Medium
WOW disc.
The dimming does not seem to stay on at 50. The blacks seem very good with excellent shadow detail.

I will have to give it a try. I already have the WOW disc but found it not as good as the S&M but that could be the differance of the blu-ray players.
How are the black bars.
Old 10-15-2011, 02:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I will have to give it a try. I already have the WOW disc but found it not as good as the S&M but that could be the differance of the blu-ray players.
How are the black bars.

The black bars are very dark. When you watch a movie in complete darkness you need to put dimming on high. The difference now is you actually see a change from med to high backlight. The other way I could not see a difference probably do to the blacks being crushed.

At 1.9 Gamma there was no graduation in the levels many levels look the same. This showed up in the image as lost detail and poor gray scale. It effected everything in a negative way.

Give it a try, I am very happy with the settings.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:

Backlight. 40
Brightness. 58
Contrast. 94
Dimming. Medium
WOW disc.

Check your set with the WOW Basic calibration. It gives, more or less the proper values. The Advanced Contrast and Brightness results are too high! I've been in constant battle with the Disney people about this since it came out. I've gone as far as to put out the monies required to meet their criteria and the same results: namely, my Sony wasn't good enough, I need to use a Reference Blu-ray player. They recommended the OPPO 93 - bought it - same results. They said my sets need to be Professionally Calibrated. ISF Pro Calibrator was here. Same results, except now it was more noticeable!
After calibration - ISF calibrated the Best Brightness on 55LHX as being 52 - WOW Advanced results were 58. On the 55LHX, 52 is the cutoff point at which Local Dimming no longer shuts off, and is aways on leaving Milky Blacks. The further you go above 52, the milkier it gets. On the 55LV9500, the cutoff point is 50. Anything above creates milky blacks. The ISF calibrator found this out while trying to callibrate using 51 - he had to back down to 50 to get the correct results. On the Contrast - having seen the WOW Advanced again had the results being too high, not as bad as the Brightness - here, the ISF calirator had the Contrast on my 55LHX as being 84 - WOW showed the best results as being 87/88 area. When using the Basic WOW, your results will fall, more or less to what they should be.
Re: 55LV9500 Gamma - ISF Calibrator found setting Gamma to 1.9 gave him 2.2 with little adjustments having to be done. Instead, he put the value backup to 2.2 to avoid confusion, and had to do alot more adjustments to end up with the 2.2 Gamma. 2.4 Gamma, you adjust like you're a Brit!
Because of the result the ISF calibrator got on the 55LV9500 in regards to the Brightness having to be at 50, and not higher. This was why I put into my CNET 55LW9800 review, about the Brightness setting being at 52, was too high, and left Local Dimming always being on, resulting in milky Blacks. I noticed in the HDTV Showdown - the Sony original results were messed up, just because someone changed one of the settings.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

Check your set with the WOW Basic calibration. It gives, more or less the proper values. The Advanced Contrast and Brightness results are too high! I've been in constant battle with the Disney people about this since it came out. I've gone as far as to put out the monies required to meet their criteria and the same results: namely, my Sony wasn't good enough, I need to use a Reference Blu-ray player. They recommended the OPPO 93 - bought it - same results. They said my sets need to be Professionally Calibrated. ISF Pro Calibrator was here. Same results, except now it was more noticeable!
After calibration - ISF calibrated the Best Brightness on 55LHX as being 52 - WOW Advanced results were 58. On the 55LHX, 52 is the cutoff point at which Local Dimming no longer shuts off, and is aways on leaving Milky Blacks. The further you go above 52, the milkier it gets. On the 55LV9500, the cutoff point is 50. Anything above creates milky blacks. The ISF calibrator found this out while trying to callibrate using 51 - he had to back down to 50 to get the correct results. On the Contrast - having seen the WOW Advanced again had the results being too high, not as bad as the Brightness - here, the ISF calirator had the Contrast on my 55LHX as being 84 - WOW showed the best results as being 87/88 area. When using the Basic WOW, your results will fall, more or less to what they should be.
Re: 55LV9500 Gamma - ISF Calibrator found setting Gamma to 1.9 gave him 2.2 with little adjustments having to be done. Instead, he put the value backup to 2.2 to avoid confusion, and had to do alot more adjustments to end up with the 2.2 Gamma. 2.4 Gamma, you adjust like you're a Brit!
Because of the result the ISF calibrator got on the 55LV9500 in regards to the Brightness having to be at 50, and not higher. This was why I put into my CNET 55LW9800 review, about the Brightness setting being at 52, was too high, and left Local Dimming always being on, resulting in milky Blacks. I noticed in the HDTV Showdown - the Sony original results were messed up, just because someone changed one of the settings.

I do not see local dimming staying on or milky blacks at 51 or above. What I do see at 50 is black levels that are to low no matter if I am using WOW or the built-in pattern.

If your blacks are crushed your Gamma and gray scale tracking is off causing color shade issues and all sorts if nightmares

With my new settings I can clearly see a difference in the different dimming levels and have completely black bars on high when watching movies in the dark.

Might be are sets are not the same out of the factory but one thing for sure is with a brightness of 50 on my set using the built-in software and 2 different external calibration disc my blacks are crushed badly no matter what level my dimming is set to. All three sources I have used show the brightness on my set to be at 58-60.

I will eventually have it professionally calibrated to verify my findings but only want to hire someone with an excellent reputation on this forum.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I do not see local dimming staying on or milky blacks at 51 or above. What I do see at 50 is black levels that are to low no matter if I am using WOW or the built-in pattern.

If your blacks are crushed your Gamma and gray scale tracking is off causing color shade issues and all sorts if nightmares

With my new settings I can clearly see a difference in the different dimming levels and have completely black bars on high when watching movies in the dark.

Might be are sets are not the same out of the factory but one thing for sure is with a brightness of 50 on my set using the built-in software and 2 different external calibration disc my blacks are crushed badly no matter what level my dimming is set to. All three sources I have used show the brightness on my set to be at 58-60.

I will eventually have it professionally calibrated to verify my findings but only want to hire someone with an excellent reputation on this forum.

As far as the contrast between WOW and the internal software there is a diiference so there might be an issue but the picture looks very good.

For reference the internal software shows contrast at 83 (verified by second source). At this contrast I bumped the backlight to 50 and left brightness at 58.
This set does not calibrate as nice as the LX9500.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

The Internal calibration, also leaves the settings somewhat on the high side.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The Internal calibration, also leaves the settings somewhat on the high side.

I used the basic setup in with WOW and it does point to your settings. So I am back with the following:

Backlight 55
Brightness. 49
Contrasts. 90
Gamma 1.9

Still think LG has an issue with dimming not operating above 50 on brightness. I do like this set over the LX9500 do to screen uniformity. Hopefully a firmware update addresses this.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I used the basic setup in with WOW and it does point to your settings. So I am back with the following:

Backlight 55
Brightness. 49
Contrasts. 90
Gamma 1.9

Still think LG has an issue with dimming not operating above 50 on brightness. I do like this set over the LX9500 do to screen uniformity. Hopefully a firmware update addresses this.

Much better!
Old 10-16-2011, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Backlight 55
Brightness. 49
Contrasts. 90
Gamma 1.9

As previously mentioned, LG does not have the Local Dimming Shut off after a value of 52 on their older sets, and 50 on the newer sets. So, when you read CNET's setting for Brightness is 52 for the 55LW9800, you know it's wrong - thusly he perceives unblack blacks!
Put something on that has the side black bars - now watch the black bars as you switch between 50 and 51. You'll now see the difference with Local Dimming Off and ON. There will be no FW fix! This is how LG sets their TVs.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Interestingly in my 55LE8500 local dimming works fine even at brightness 54. Wonder why. I'm waiting for the 65" 9800 ...
Old 10-16-2011, 11:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDude View Post

Interestingly in my 55LE8500 local dimming works fine even at brightness 54. Wonder why. I'm waiting for the 65" 9800 ...

I do not understand why what? It is not the same model?
Just to clear something else up, the local dimming still works with the brightness at 54 or 60. It just does not shut the LED's OFF completely. There remains a low small voltage which causes the black bars to slightly glow. Watching a full screen picture you can not see it.
I have never worked with the LE8500 and the comments were made towards the operation of the LHX and the LV9500. There is a separate thread for the
55LE8500
Old 10-17-2011, 12:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I do not understand why what? It is not the same model?
Just to clear something else up, the local dimming still works with the brightness at 54 or 60. It just does not shut the LED's OFF completely. There remains a low small voltage which causes the black bars to slightly glow. Watching a full screen picture you can not see it.
I have never worked with the LE8500 and the comments were made towards the operation of the LHX and the LV9500. There is a separate thread for the
55LE8500

I have to agree with you, it clearly happens on the LV9500 after 50 and by 58 where the internal calibration screen for brighness claims your set should be, your blacks are lighting up like a light bulb.
I did do a download of the led dimming from the In-start menu which seems to have helped my black levels but did not eliminate this. It's not that bad once you accept it and work around it.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have to agree with you, it clearly happens on the LV9500 after 50 and by 58 where the internal calibration screen for brighness claims your set should be, your blacks are lighting up like a light bulb.
I did do a download of the led dimming from the In-start menu which seems to have helped my black levels but did not eliminate this. It's not that bad once you accept it and work around it.

Can you be a little more specific on the download procedure?

TIA
Old 10-17-2011, 01:29 AM

Should I follow the LX9500 or the LW9800 picture settings on cnet as an initial base?
Old 10-17-2011, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkletont View Post

Should I follow the LX9500 or the LW9800 picture settings on cnet as an initial base?

After all, they got the Brightness wrong, which messes up the rest of the settings. For now, just turn the THX on, and do a Picture Wizard - the settings will be a litlle on the High side, but most new users prefer a brighter picture anyways - once you've had the set for several months, then look at tweaking it. Oh yes, watch the THX Mode.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

After all, they got the Brightness wrong, which messes up the rest of the settings. For now, just turn the THX on, and do a Picture Wizard - the settings will be a litlle on the High side, but most new users prefer a brighter picture anyways - once you've had the set for several months, then look at tweaking it. Oh yes, watch the THX Mode.

The bummer is THX has brightness at 51 .
Old 10-17-2011, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The bummer is THX has brightness at 51 .

Put the code in and reset it
Old 10-17-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:

I don't have a service remote to enable THX =(.

I thought people were saying earlier that the THX mode wasn't calibrated properly. A bunch of variables were just left at 0 or something.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:28 PM

hi...haven't been around for awhile...did everyone update FM to 04.02.24? Is it still safe for 3D? Glasses arrive Thursday...Thanks. Deb
Old 10-17-2011, 04:33 PM

that's FW...
Old 10-17-2011, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkletont View Post

I don't have a service remote to enable THX =(.

I thought people were saying earlier that the THX mode wasn't calibrated properly. A bunch of variables were just left at 0 or something.

That is correct, but it gives you the basic settings like backlight, contrast, sharpness'color and tint. It just leaves all the advanced settings at the default 0. Most people have found that they still have to alter some of these due to room lighting and room coloring anyhow. The Expert 1&2 modes provide all the same adjustments so you really do not need THX.

And there are some people that think because it says THX it is better!
Old 10-17-2011, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

The only settings on the 55LV9500 that appear to have had some calibration done to them was the Service Menu White Balance for RGB Gain and RGB Cut.
The ISF Calibrator tried to start the THX Mode calibration with the Brightness on 51, got into trouble, listened to me, and lowered it to 50. After that, the calibration went smoothly. Re the Gamma - use 1.9 if you just want to tweak without using a meter. It's actually 2.2 from the readings the ISF Calibrator took. (Gamma 2.2, is actually 2.4 - heaven knows how high up you'd be with the setting on 2.4!) Local Dimming used was Low.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nony View Post

videkid,

In the US models, there are two EDID D/L entries -

PCM EDID D/L
AC3 EDID D/L

LG put this in so that users with unacceptable AC3 lag times could force the datastream to PCM mode, and not have to incur the AC3 processing delay. If you compare your InStart screen under Adjustment Check Item 5, with arkasi55's you will notice a label difference -

videkid: 5. EDID(PCM):
arkasi55: 5. EDID:

Performing a "start" on either one should work.

-nony

To Nony: I have a question you might be able to help me with. I have an LG 55LX9500. I can't seem to get Dolby Digital sound from the optical going to my LG LHB536 Home Theater. My wiring is as such: The SA4250HD cable box output is going into HDMI port 1 on the TV. My DVD/VCR recorder is going into the TV using HDMI port 2. Then, the TV's optical out is going to my LG LHB536 home theater. Why, when I use the Cablevision SA4250HD box and an HDMI cable to my TV do I get just PCM2 sound going into the home theater? When I use my DVD/VCR recorder hooked up the same way using HDMI cable I DO get Dolby Digital sound? So its not the tv. I did the menu / setting change in the SA4250HD menu to try to select Dolby, but when Dolby is chosen, No sound at all goes out thru HDMI. The only choices are HDMI, Dolby, and "other". "Other" also does not allow any sound through to the tv using HDMI cable. I must be doing something wrong or do I have a bad cable box? Is there something different coming out of my cable box compared to the DVD/VCR recorder? Any advice? Would the AC3 EDID procedure help? If so, can someone please send me the step by step procedure using a service remote? Thank you.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:

Put the code in and reset it

How can you reset the THX brightness value? I thought it was locked and could not be adjusted. Is there a Tool Option in the service menu you that would allow you to change it because I have only seen a adjustment for the default backlight value.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Noticed since todays firmware update Gamma issue seems fixed. Based on the WOW disc and with med dimming and 2.2 Gamma selected the test pattern shows 2.2. When I switched to 1.9 it showed about 2.0.

Prior to update the Gamma was messed up when using med or dark dimming selection. The reason I rechecked this was after the firmware update the 1.9 setting looked off.

Yes 3D is still working.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjames1700 View Post

How can you reset the THX brightness value? I thought it was locked and could not be adjusted. Is there a Tool Option in the service menu you that would allow you to change it because I have only seen a adjustment for the default backlight value.

I PM'd you the code!
Old 10-17-2011, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would not at this time update the software. It just bricked my set. Well, I don't know if brick is the right word, but it got stuck on eternal update and now can't access netflix or anything. Was on customer service for over 45 minutes (they put me on hold for over half an hour while they tried to figure it out). Now they are sending out a service person in 2 days to figure it out. Severly disappointed in LG and this mess of an update.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Alright everyone the 55LW7700 is officially for sale at powersellernyc for under 2K. Here's what i'm getting from description: Silver bezel, matte/semi-matte screen, full array local dimming, and 3-D. Could this be an LHX with 3-D? Is this an IOL panel like LHX? I guess we'll all find out. I was set on buying LHX on Halloween, aw man.

Samsung 60F8500
LG 55LHX
LG BH200
2 PS3's

Tags
Lg , 3d Hdtv , Displays , Lg 55lx9500 55 1080p 480hz 3d Led Lcd Hdtv , Sharp
Gear in this thread