post #1411 of 1750 Old 12-30-2011, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by audionutzzzz View Post

I hear you on the packing... But i would also blame the shipper's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKUDTPbDhnA

I opened mine and completely went over it prior to letting him leave. They throw those TV's around like the are made of steel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1412 of 1750 Old 12-30-2011, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 191
When my set was shipped up from LA, first thing we found out, if it's a TV, they limit, or offer no insurance. (They know how their employees handle them.)
The person who shipped mine, double boxed it. Shipped it all the way to Canada, and it arrived A-OK. Don't know if, when ordering, you can request the same double boxing. Inner box is cushioned by peanuts and bubble wrap.
The icing was on cake on the HSN reviews, were the client saw the driver remove the TV off the truck. Put it on his shoulder to carry to the house. Then dropped it to the ground the last 2 feet: right in front of the customer. Needless to say, the panel covering was shattered! If this kind of attitude is getting to prevail more and more - I think the Big Guy may just say the heck with this attitude problem - Dec 21, 2012 - bye, bye!
post #1413 of 1750 Old 12-30-2011, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgm_gm View Post

How do I get to the calibration?

Service Remote required to turn on the 3D, THX Modes and adjust the Service Menu (SM) White Balance.
Once this is done, you can try my settings, which may or may not agree with your set. If they agree, this will get you part way there, and from there tweak to suit your needs and room conditions.
The 2 Point Settings have to be changed to the 10 Point in the Advanced Menu, and the IRE values installed. The Gamma, Luminance and normal White Balance are also set in the Advanced Menu. The SM White Balance values are inserted in the Warm Menu of the White Balance. Use Adj on the Service Remote to Enter, and Exit to leave.
Re: the 3D and THX Modes turn on - this is listed earlier in this Forum.
post #1414 of 1750 Old 12-30-2011, 09:57 PM

Netflix in 1080p?

With the newest firmware updates, do you know if Netflix is streaming in 1080p? I'm still trying to work out which of the LG NetCast applets produce the best picture quality.

So far I love the TV - thanks to everyone on this board who shares their knowledge.
post #1415 of 1750 Old 12-30-2011, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvolkman View Post

LG really failed with packing design this year. Hopefully they'll improve in the future. If you read the reviews at the original HSN page you'll see that a large percentage of these arrived shattered.

They make money on it, since its insured, and they never have to service it.

-nony
post #1416 of 1750 Old 12-30-2011, 10:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindrover View Post

Mine came in yesterday and with all of the known shipping issues I made them take it out of the box to inspect it. Front glass looked fine while off with no cracks or scratches but I was concerned about a slight "warp" on the left side. Set it up and nothing but lines across the screen emanating from the "warped" spot when turned on. Poor packaging for such a fragile piece of equipment.

That would be plexiglass, with a brown tint.

-nony
post #1417 of 1750 Old 12-30-2011, 10:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth2010 View Post

Any thoughts on what to try next?

Sure -

Option 1.
Follow this troubleshooting guide - http://136.166.4.200/contents/Displa...leshooting.pdf

Option 2.
Post your request for help at openlgtv.org.ru/forum and volunteer to help them out in some capacity with the project.

-nony
post #1418 of 1750 Old 01-02-2012, 11:45 AM

I got my set a few days ago and was able to follow the 3d instructions no problem. I have the service remote and found the dvr setting in the tools menu I set value from a 0 to a 1 then issues instop command. I ghave not yet hooked a hard drive up since I don't have an extra one laying around. Where can I look to find out if I now have dvr function? Is there a menu? I looked around and couldn't see anything right away anypone tackle this yet?

Thanks to all who have worked on this to get the 3 d working.
post #1419 of 1750 Old 01-02-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herkyhawki1 View Post

I got my set a few days ago and was able to follow the 3d instructions no problem. I have the service remote and found the dvr setting in the tools menu I set value from a 0 to a 1 then issues instop command. I ghave not yet hooked a hard drive up since I don't have an extra one laying around. Where can I look to find out if I now have dvr function? Is there a menu? I looked around and couldn't see anything right away anypone tackle this yet?

Thanks to all who have worked on this to get the 3 d working.

I don't think there's a menu. Just plug a drive into the bottom USB slot and it should prompt you. Make sure to delete any partition currently on the drive first otherwise the TV will attempt to use it as a device full of media files and won't prompt to use it as a DVR device.

You may be able to test it with a USB flash drive; I haven't tried.
post #1420 of 1750 Old 01-02-2012, 06:15 PM

If you click on home menu you'll see the netflix hulu app and then next to that the LG Apps.. click the arrow once to scroll over..you'll then see smart share and then the recorded tv.. it will show a green exclamation point.." connect USB to port 1 of tv to use LG Time machine".. I dont know if thats what you mean or are looking for..
post #1421 of 1750 Old 01-03-2012, 05:18 AM

Quote:

I don't think there's a menu. Just plug a drive into the bottom USB slot and it should prompt you. Make sure to delete any partition currently on the drive first otherwise the TV will attempt to use it as a device full of media files and won't prompt to use it as a DVR device.

You may be able to test it with a USB flash drive; I haven't tried.

Thanks I will get a new hard drive to use. Any idea what the max size is? I am going to stick with one that is 2.0 and 3.0 compliant. Is there a max size?
post #1422 of 1750 Old 01-03-2012, 05:20 AM

Quote:

If you click on home menu you'll see the netflix hulu app and then next to that the LG Apps.. click the arrow once to scroll over..you'll then see smart share and then the recorded tv.. it will show a green exclamation point.." connect USB to port 1 of tv to use LG Time machine".. I dont know if thats what you mean or are looking for..

I don't see smart share right off I do see media link at bottom of page not sure if that is similar. Might be I don't see it since no drive is attached to usb 1 yet. I just don't want to spend the $ on a new drive without knowing I have it turned on.

Thanks
post #1423 of 1750 Old 01-03-2012, 05:29 AM

1TB.... USB 2.0 use the lower USB connection on the TV of the two on the back it is marked for HDD.
post #1424 of 1750 Old 01-03-2012, 05:46 AM

post #1425 of 1750 Old 01-03-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:

I don't see smart share right off I do see media link at bottom of page not sure if that is similar. Might be I don't see it since no drive is attached to usb 1 yet. I just don't want to spend the $ on a new drive without knowing I have it turned on.

Thanks

Also note that this DVR will only work for over-the-air TV or if your cable is connected directly to the TV. It won't work if you use a cable box or for anything else connected to one of the non-coax inputs. This may already be obvious to you but it's confused others in the past.
post #1426 of 1750 Old 01-03-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:

Also note that this DVR will only work for over-the-air TV or if your cable is connected directly to the TV. It won't work if you use a cable box or for anything else connected to one of the non-coax inputs. This may already be obvious to you but it's confused others in the past.

I had read that on earlier posts but was going to try it both ways. Question I am not doing OTA HD so I would need to rely on coax for the feed. Isn't the picture really poor on play back off the dvr if you use the coax as the feed?

By the way thanks to you for posting on Slickdeals or I never would have seen it before it was sold out otherwise. I almost bought the 6500 for the same price. Glad I didn't pull the trigger.

Are you doing OTA for your signal? If you are doing cable is the picture at least acceptable?
post #1427 of 1750 Old 01-03-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:

I had read that on earlier posts but was going to try it both ways. Question I am not doing OTA HD so I would need to rely on coax for the feed. Isn't the picture really poor on play back off the dvr if you use the coax as the feed?

By the way thanks to you for posting on Slickdeals or I never would have seen it before it was sold out otherwise. I almost bought the 6500 for the same price. Glad I didn't pull the trigger.

Are you doing OTA for your signal? If you are doing cable is the picture at least acceptable?

OTA HD is compressed. I'm not sure what the average bitrate for OTA HD is, but it's decent enough for the things I want to watch on TV. I'm fairly certain that the DVR just records the compressed stream when in DVR mode which is also probably what cable box DVRs do. HDMI and other inputs are fully uncompressed so recording them would either require encoding hardware in the TV or recording the uncompressed stream to the harddrive.

I don't currently have cable service which is why I'm using the DVR feature. If I had cable service, I'd just get a DVR from my cable provider.
post #1428 of 1750 Old 01-03-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:

OTA HD is compressed. I'm not sure what the average bitrate for OTA HD is, but it's decent enough for the things I want to watch on TV. I'm fairly certain that the DVR just records the compressed stream when in DVR mode which is also probably what cable box DVRs do. HDMI and other inputs are fully uncompressed so recording them would either require encoding hardware in the TV or recording the uncompressed stream to the harddrive.

I don't currently have cable service which is why I'm using the DVR feature. If I had cable service, I'd just get a DVR from my cable provider.

They want $22 a month for a second dvr I have one already. They (TWC) are pushing whole home DVR for around $50 a month. This TV will be mostly for live sports and movies I got a Panasonic 3d BDT 210. I just figured if there was a cheap way to get dvr on it for the few times I would use it it would be worth a try. Plu

By the way off topic but I had no idea there was so little 3d content until I tried to get some. Also Anyone find kids glasses that work with the 3d? I found passive LG ones but not the kind we need.
post #1429 of 1750 Old 01-04-2012, 07:10 AM

I tried a brand new 4 GB jump drive but it was not recongized for use with the time machine. I was able to get the time machine error so I was able to enable the DVR function on the TV I believe. I will try again once I get a new HD. Question if you use a hard drive with the time machine function is the drive then no longer able to be used with a computer or other device like WD TV live box? Can you just reformat it? I thought I read somewhere that it will be unrecognized by tour computer after using it for the time machine.

Thanks
post #1430 of 1750 Old 01-04-2012, 11:05 AM

all

just a reminder to check the tv before signing, finally received the TV from BUY.COM 2 weeks almost since ordered, took a day off work, opened it up and there were 6 cracks the full length of the screen. The outside of the package looked fine, but the internal packaging from LG is disgraceful.

Contacted buy.com and they are issuing a refund, which is no good to me as i want this tv badly but there is no stock!!!!!

not happy

post #1431 of 1750 Old 01-04-2012, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasslehogg View Post

all

just a reminder to check the tv before signing, finally received the TV from BUY.COM 2 weeks almost since ordered, took a day off work, opened it up and there were 6 cracks the full length of the screen. The outside of the package looked fine, but the internal packaging from LG is disgraceful.

Contacted buy.com and they are issuing a refund, which is no good to me as i want this tv badly but there is no stock!!!!!

not happy

what a joke...i guess i'm done worrying about if it will ever come back in stock. it is just to big of a risk w/ buy.com using the absolute worse shipping company on the planet. (ait). did anybody who ordered through buy.com receive a damage free unit?

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #1432 of 1750 Old 01-04-2012, 01:04 PM

Mine was delivered today from buy.com and no damage - I was expecting the worst. Setting it up now and first impression is it looks like the D6000 is going back.
post #1433 of 1750 Old 01-04-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

what a joke...i guess i'm done worrying about if it will ever come back in stock. it is just to big of a risk w/ buy.com using the absolute worse shipping company on the planet. (ait). did anybody who ordered through buy.com receive a damage free unit?

I recieved my tv with no damage.. And box was intact... Thank god.. I feel sorry for those who had damaged ones.. They (LG) should have box them better with the ipod looking glass..
post #1434 of 1750 Old 01-04-2012, 01:37 PM

I received my TV fully intact last week. Really sorry to hear about people receiving damaged units.
post #1435 of 1750 Old 01-04-2012, 01:52 PM

Has anyone had this unit pro calibrated?
post #1436 of 1750 Old 01-04-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:

I had planned to have it done, but...uh...well...see post 1406.
post #1437 of 1750 Old 01-04-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:

I believe p5browne has.
post #1438 of 1750 Old 01-04-2012, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I mean page 47. Seniors moment there.

ISF Pro Results, (My Results), and now that I found out about the 10 Point SM White Balance - will look into this in the near future. Calibrating this set is alot of work - too much clicking! LG should make a Calibrating PB to bypass all the hierarchy, and get right to the heart of the matter!
post #1439 of 1750 Old 01-04-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

Local Dimming is turned off during calibration. Turned back On to Low afterwards. Gamma is Low. White Balance on Warm. THX Night was calibrated, then values put on all the other Modes. Brightness and Contrast were obtained using the S&M Calibration Blu-ray, then the calibration commenced.

Where do you see THX Night mode?? I see THX cinema and THX Bright room.. but no thx night mode..

Thanks
post #1440 of 1750 Old 01-04-2012, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Where do you see THX Night mode?? I see THX cinema and THX Bright room.. but no thx night mode..

Thanks

Used THX Cinema. My terms re night for Cinema - day for Bright. Corrected in previous posting.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg , 3d Hdtv , Displays , Lg 55lx9500 55 1080p 480hz 3d Led Lcd Hdtv , Sharp
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page