Questions on 60Hz vs 240Hz / CCF vs LED / Dimming vs Non Dimming - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-15-2011, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've helped my girlfriend narrow down her TV choices to a low cost option and a (for her) high cost option -- Vizio E470VLE and XVT473SV respectively. Since I've found AVS posters to be some of the most knowledgeable out there, I would appreciate a double check on my explanation of the main feature differences before I sit down with her and describe the differences to help her decide if the price differential is worth it.

Vizio E470VLE -- 60Hz CCF LCD

XVT473SV --- 240Hz Backlit LED with Local Dimming and Internet Apps

60Hz vs 240Hz -- The frequency of the picture is said to affect two things, motion blurring and judder. While there are a differences on opinions, AVS seems to say motion blurring is not really decreased that much with the higher frequency, however judder is something that is significantly reduced.

Q. I've never noticed much judder on my old as dirt 60hz panel; is that because I almost always play DVDs through my computer using VLC or MPC? Or have I just gotten used to it over the years?

CCF vs LED -- From what I gather, there is little inherently better about an LED backlight compared to a CCF backlight, except some minor power gains?

Dimming vs Non Dimming -- It seems most say this is a major difference between the panels, leading to a significantly better picture by allowing the bright parts of the screen to pop out from the dark parts of the screens. However, black crush won't necessarily be reduced?

Internet Apps and minor I/O jack differences -- Internet apps isn't a big deal, as a computer can easily be hooked up to either tv. Number of jacks isn't a deal-breaker either as she doesn't have an enormous amount of inputs.

Does it seem like I have the gist of the differences from a video quality point of view (she doesn't care at all about the technical descriptions, just how good Masterpiece Theater and football will look -- yes, I know, odd combo)? And of course any opinions are always appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-15-2011, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
You've got the gist pretty well. You've also got a brand that is not serviceable due to no parts availability. Once the factory wty expires if anything goes wrong you've pretty much got a doorstop. Not a problem if you get an extended wty with the set (Costco has some pretty reasonable ones) that has a replacement provision if the set can't be repaired.

If you've got a knee-jerk objection to extended warranties buy some other brand. You could split the difference feature wise with a Sony EX500 or Samsung LN630--both are ccfl but have 120hz and niether has internet apps.

Steve S.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-17-2011, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks, that's a really good point, and tick in favor of the cheaper one.... i.e., if it dies in a couple of years, upgrade.

And thanks for the suggestions!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page