Official Samsung UNXXD6400/6420 Owners' Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 120 Old 11-14-2011, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been using the 6420 for just over a week now. I'm using the set primarily for gaming and sports. I've played Batman: Arkham City, Modern Warfare 3, Gears of War 3, and Skyrim on the set and haven't had input lag at all.

My main issue has been the Auto Dimming feature as well. In dark games (Batman: Arkham City is an excellent example) the Auto Dimming is very apparent, graying out what should be bright white text. I've also been noticing this in Skyrim's menus and dungeons, although I have not spent much time with the game yet.

I've been unable to defeat the Auto Dimming so far. The problem isn't so severe that I want to return the set. However, it has made my preferred picture setting (Dynamic) unusable for gaming due to it limiting picture options (I've gone to Movie instead for gaming, mimicking Dynamic the best that I can).

Other than that it's been a solid buy. Now I'm just trying different things to get past Auto Dimming. If anyone has any suggestions or solutions for the Auto Dimming I would love to hear them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 120 Old 11-14-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikephoros View Post

My main issue has been the Auto Dimming feature as well. In dark games (Batman: Arkham City is an excellent example) the Auto Dimming is very apparent, graying out what should be bright white text. I've also been noticing this in Skyrim's menus and dungeons, although I have not spent much time with the game yet.

I've been unable to defeat the Auto Dimming so far. The problem isn't so severe that I want to return the set. However, it has made my preferred picture setting (Dynamic) unusable for gaming due to it limiting picture options (I've gone to Movie instead for gaming, mimicking Dynamic the best that I can).

Other than that it's been a solid buy. Now I'm just trying different things to get past Auto Dimming. If anyone has any suggestions or solutions for the Auto Dimming I would love to hear them!

Took me a while to figure this out too and even Samsung didn't know what to do. Try setting the shadow detail setting to +2.
post #33 of 120 Old 11-15-2011, 07:04 AM

Shadow detail at +2 eliminates this problem for about 90%. Still noticable when you are in a bright menu with a bright background and then the background changes to black for example. The menu will still slightly adjust it's brightness but only by a little bit.
post #34 of 120 Old 11-16-2011, 06:10 PM

Thanks for the information on shadow detail. I changed it to +2 and did seem to lessen the effects of auto dimming. It's not a total fix, but better. I tested it with both Batman and Skyrim and the text in dark backgrounds was brighter. I also have gone to the standard setting from the movie setting for games. As long as I disable Auto Motion Plus I get a smooth picture with very nice detail.
post #35 of 120 Old 11-27-2011, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
More of us need to tell Samsung how we feel about the 3D aspects of our panel. It's disturbing to me how they are trying to sweep this under the carpet for the FULL HD 1080P in 3d. I would've never purchased this panel had I known about this before. In fact, I took a LG 55LW5600 back for this very reason & was assured @ the time that my 6400 resolved in 'Captivating Full 1080p in 2d & 3d'

It's ironic how Samsung bashed LG for them claiming that their passive 3d was full hd, and yet they pull this stunt with the 6400 series!

If any of you are on the fence for your next purchase, you should definitely avoid this panel & get the 7000 series instead, which isn't crippled in 3D mode.
post #36 of 120 Old 12-06-2011, 09:03 PM

Is this panel glossy? How are the reflections if so- in a bright room during the day?
post #37 of 120 Old 12-07-2011, 01:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclejim View Post

Is this panel glossy? How are the reflections if so- in a bright room during the day?

yes, and reflections are problematic. matte screen on the LG47/55LW5600 would be a better option.
post #38 of 120 Old 12-08-2011, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So I understand the D6400 and the D6420 supports the RVU protocol. So does that mean if I get one of the new Direct TV HR34 RVU DVRs the RVU-enabled Samsungs can connect to the DVR wirelessly or is there an optional dongle needed?

Perhaps I would just need to connect it to the coaxial wall jack?
post #39 of 120 Old 12-08-2011, 09:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

I don't think the RVU code is in the latest firmware. I have an HR34 and a D6420 and they don't seem to see each other in any special way.

...also known as Stuart Sweet at DBSTalk.com
post #40 of 120 Old 12-08-2011, 11:24 PM
Advanced Member

I don't have a HR34 yet but i might get 1 & pair it up with my 6400, but if it performs on par with the 'Smart' TV, it's not going to measure up i can assure u that.
post #41 of 120 Old 12-09-2011, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamontcranston View Post

I don't think the RVU code is in the latest firmware. I have an HR34 and a D6420 and they don't seem to see each other in any special way.

Interesting....I wonder when RVU will be supported in firmware....

I am really intrested in getting this setup.....I have direct tv anyway and I am intrested in getting a Samsung LED so why not take advantage of RVU

Perhaps we will find out more at CES?
post #42 of 120 Old 12-09-2011, 09:05 AM

Lili you rock. I just got my 6420 installed yesterday and here I was thinking a thread on avs would be great to have a discussion on this sweet set and here it is.
I bought Uncharted 3 a while back and I was saving it just for this lol. Played it in 3D in the dark and there are no words to express how awesome it was.
One issue I have if someone can help is that when playing NFS: Hot pursuit I get these vertical banding lines in the rearview mirror for the vehicle. Any suggestions?
post #43 of 120 Old 12-12-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikephoros View Post

I've been using the 6420 for just over a week now. I'm using the set primarily for gaming and sports. I've played Batman: Arkham City, Modern Warfare 3, Gears of War 3, and Skyrim on the set and haven't had input lag at all.

This is exactly what I want to use my TV for. Is the D7000 a better option as far as PQ? Does the D7000 experience problems with Auto Dimming as well? What would you suggest as far as gaming experience?
post #44 of 120 Old 12-12-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashra View Post

This is exactly what I want to use my TV for. Is the D7000 a better option as far as PQ? Does the D7000 experience problems with Auto Dimming as well? What would you suggest as far as gaming experience?

Set "Shadow Detail" to +1 or +2. Problem gone, and I don't notice any change to the depth of the blacks, which are extremely deep.
post #45 of 120 Old 12-12-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by code4code5 View Post

Set "Shadow Detail" to +1 or +2. Problem gone, and I don't notice any change to the depth of the blacks, which are extremely deep.

So this TV would be better over the D7000? Is the PQ of the D7000 worth spending the extra $?
post #46 of 120 Old 12-12-2011, 11:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashra View Post

So this TV would be better over the D7000? Is the PQ of the D7000 worth spending the extra $?

If you're going to be watching some 3d, then definitely pony up the extra dollar$ and get the 7000!(the 6x00 series don't resolve 3d in Full HD) The 7000 series also includes the qwerty remote(a $100 value).
post #47 of 120 Old 12-19-2011, 12:08 AM

I just bought a 6420, and for the most part I am very happy with it. I know it needs more tweaking, but I am sure I will get that sorted. I applied the calibrations posted here and it looks pretty good, however I find that sometimes when text is being displayed on screen it sometimes flickers or shimmers. It seems to happen on both SD and HD signals. I am new to HD TV so I haven't wrapped my head around all of the settings and adjustments that are available. What settings could be causing this?

Also, I am wondering how many of you are using your panels for 3D, and how you are finding the image quality? I have read about the resolution controversy, but honestly, when I saw Avatar on my screen in the store I thought it looked pretty decent for what amounts to an entry level 3d tv! Of course Avatar is optimized for 3d and is very well done. What about 3d from sources other than BluRay? My cable provider has some 3D content available on VOD, but is it going to be any good? Is it worth buying the glasses for this set?
post #48 of 120 Old 12-19-2011, 10:34 PM
Advanced Member

Here is a good review of the series 6x00 that resolve 3d:

http://www.digitalversus.com/tv-tele...eed-a1467.html
post #49 of 120 Old 12-21-2011, 06:40 PM

Leftyguitar, as I already said, I am aware of the controversy, as you and Jimmybean have spammed it all over this site!

I am curious about what owners think about their tvs when they are actually watching them, not when they are obsessing over test patterns and photographs that couldn't possibly represent what the human eye and more importantly, the brain actually see! I will admit that I have no personal experience with 3D TV, but years of building and tweaking high performance PCs has taught me to be wary of putting too much stock in tech specs and artificial benchmarks.

In this case, if the resolution is being split between two eyes, and you take a snap shot of the image intended for one eye, then naturally it isn't going to look as good as the full image combined. What seems to get ignored in the controversy is that the image is being alternated with the other half of the image at 120hz (or 60hz per side?). When this is done, the brain is more than capable of splicing the images together into 1 3d HD image!

So once again it comes down to how it looks when you are watching a movie, not when you are staring at test patterns! I do not expect my $750 TV to have the same quality image as models that cost more than double that! I was surprised I could even GET a 3D tv for that price!
post #50 of 120 Old 12-22-2011, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Hey guys, brand new owner of a 60D6420U checking in. I had a Sharp Aquos LE60832, but it had a terrible lip syn issue that I could not fix, and I was unhappy with the performance of it while watching football. So I took the Aquos back, and picked up a 60D6420U for $1,999 at BB.

I have only had the TV for a day, but damn, it looks amazing.......Almost plasma like. I will calibrate it with my DVE and Spears & Munsil discs after Christmas, and I'll report back my settings..................If the Sharp was a NASCAR Cup car, then the Sammy is an F1 car!

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon X-2000 ~ HTD Level TWO Towers ~ HTD Level TWO Surrounds ~ Power Sound Audio XV15
post #51 of 120 Old 12-26-2011, 07:13 PM

Well, I ended up buying a 3D BluRay player and a copy of Imax Into the Deep to go with the glasses, and I have to say it looks pretty good to me! There was a bit of occasional ghosting, and a couple of fast moving scenes strained the eyes a bit, but overall it was very nice! It certainly appeared to be full HD image, although I guess technically if I watched with one eye closed it wouldn't be!

After reading about all these issues like "flashlighting" that people are reporting I have been watching my screen very closely, and I have yet for find anything to complain about! It has fantastic picture quality day and night, dark room or light. I have not noticed significant lag when using the Xbox360. I am totally happy with my 40D6420! Maybe because it was built later in the production run, and have worked out some of those issues?
post #52 of 120 Old 12-26-2011, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I also have a very uniform display as well. Nothing at all that I would call an issue. Maybe if I put a test pattern on, and sat 3 feet from the screen, but that's not what I personally do. I used the Spears and Munsil Blu-Ray disc to calibrate, and here is my 1st set of settings. I will probably tweak a few to my personal taste on real material, but they will be very minor tweaks.

System > Eco Solution > Energy Saving: OFF
System > Eco Solution > Eco Sensor: OFF

Picture Mode: STANDARD
Backlight: 10
Contrast: 80
Brightness: 45
Sharpness: 20
Color: 50
Tint: 50/50
Picture Size: 16:9

Advanced Settings:
Black Tone: OFF
Dynamic Contrast: OFF
Shadow Detail: 0
Gamma: 0
Color Space: NATIVE
White Balance: ALL @ 25
Flesh Tone: 0
Edge Enhancement: OFF
Motion Lighting: OFF
LED Motion Plus: ON

Picture Options:
Color Tone: Warm 1
Digital Noise Filter: OFF
MPEG Noise Filter: OFF
HDMI Black Level: NORMAL
Film Mode: OFF
Auto Motion Plus: CLEAR

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon X-2000 ~ HTD Level TWO Towers ~ HTD Level TWO Surrounds ~ Power Sound Audio XV15
post #53 of 120 Old 12-27-2011, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Is anyone having trouble with this TV's Internet connection. I get a strong WiFi signal, get an IP via DHCP, DNS, etc. but every time I try to use the Smart Hub, I get "Network Interference. Cannot connect." I've seen this problem reported elsewhere on other forums, but no mention of it here. Is it just me?
post #54 of 120 Old 12-27-2011, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

No problem here. I use the Samsung wireless adapter and I can connect to my home network with no issues. Can you check for updates via wireless?

Found this in the manual:

Your TV may not be able to connect to the Internet because your ISP has permanently registered the MAC address (a unique identifying number) of your PC or modem, which it then
authenticates each time you connect to the Internet as a way of preventing unauthorized
access. As your TV has a different MAC address, your ISP can not authenticate its MAC address, and your TV can not connect.
To resolve this problem, ask your ISP about the procedures required to connect devices
other than a PC (such as your TV) to the Internet.
If your Internet service provider requires an ID or password to connect to the Internet, your
TV may not be able to connect to the Internet. If this is the case, you must enter your ID or
password when connecting to the Internet.
The internet connection may fail because of a firewall problem. If this is the case, contact
your Internet service provider.
If you cannot connect to the Internet even after you have followed the procedures of your
Internet service provider, please contact Samsung Electronics at 1-800-SAMSUNG.

post #55 of 120 Old 12-28-2011, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks, D Bone.

It seems there was a problem using the WiFi, so I just hard-wired the TV into my router and now it works flawlessly.

Funny thing though, I was getting all bars on the WiFi signal on the TV and I was getting an IP and DNS fine. It was just hit-or-miss when actually trying to use an app, whether it be YouTube or Netflix, etc. Guess I'll return that $80 USB WiFi adapter Best Buy sold me.
post #56 of 120 Old 12-28-2011, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Glad you got it sorted. If you have time, I would like to see your settings to see how close they are to mine.

post #57 of 120 Old 12-30-2011, 08:10 PM

how to get in service mode? also is there a way to add the web browser to the 6420 as I see the 6300 has one & then the 8000 has them. wondering if its possible
post #58 of 120 Old 12-31-2011, 06:10 PM

I am about to buy one D6420 from BestBuy. All they have are C panels. CN01 or C01. They don't have any S or H panels. I read on other AVS forums that there are issues with C panel, and some are also surprise that they put a C panel on 6400 but a H (better one from what I read) in the lower D6000 series.

Any advice?

thanks,
post #59 of 120 Old 01-01-2012, 11:46 AM

I bought a 6420 from best buy three days ago and love this TV. Maybe check another best buy in your area, as my panel is a H301. No problems with my TV at all and pleasantly surprised how cool 3d is especially with nvidia 3dtv the wit her 2 is amazing in 3d. I understand that the TV doesn't due full HD 3d like the 7000 and 8000 but the quality my eyes are seeing is superb:-) just need to get all my inputs calibrated and does anybody have any suggestions for the best 3d settings and such? Happy new year
post #60 of 120 Old 01-02-2012, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

i got mine last july & it's a H301, no flashlighting, some minor vertical banding though.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un46d6400 Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55d6400 55 Inch 3d Led Hdtv , Samsung Un60d6400 60 Inch 1080p 120 Hz 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page