Official Samsung UNXXD6400/6420 Owners' Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 120 Old 08-23-2011, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
*Lili*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: National Capital Region of Canada
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys!

Didn't find an official thread for this Samsung's model, so why not create one?! I'm getting this set tomorrow after coming this close' to buying a Samsung PND6900 or Panasonic TCPGT30 plasma. Based on last minute exchanges with a few people, and after carefully considering my budget, I had a change of heart and went with the Samsung UN55D6400 (actually, the model is D6420 - not sure if/how it's different from the D6400 model...).

I look forward to learning what owners think of their respective D6400s, and to a general discussion on how we can enhance our overall experience with this television!

A few links to get us started:

http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/t...ail&returnurl=

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...contentBody;2r

*Lili* is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 120 Old 08-23-2011, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BoilerJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,168
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 82
There was this one:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1333926
BoilerJim is online now  
post #3 of 120 Old 08-28-2011, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
*Lili*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: National Capital Region of Canada
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I've had this set for a few days now and I'm really liking it! Lots to still learn about this tv, and I will have it calibrated in a few weeks, but so far, so good! I'm not noticing the typical issues some 2011 models seem to be plagued with, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I did buy an extended service plan - which I never do - but peace of mind for the next 4 years was worth it to me!

Anybody else with a UNXXD6400/D6420 out there? No news, good news?
*Lili* is offline  
post #4 of 120 Old 09-16-2011, 11:03 AM
Newbie
 
dblankenburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just picked up the 60" version of this set last week after my 11 year old 55" Mitsubishi diamond series finally died.

I haven't noticed any of the "typical" issues that people have been reporting with other models but I may not be as picky since my old picture was so lousy the past 6 months.

Picture is very crisp and blacks seem very good, 3D looked amazing as well with the movie I watched from Cox ondemand free 3D offerings.

I have a Samsung 3D BD as well and my only complaint is that the TV can't see the wireless adapter I have in the BD when both units are on so I can't use any of the smart features without going through the BD player or unplugging the adapter from the BD and moving it to the TV.

TV came with the BD player free and included two pair of glasses but no movies.
dblankenburg is offline  
post #5 of 120 Old 09-18-2011, 12:30 PM
Member
 
jcurran01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got a 6420. It's LED.

DOES ANYONE HAVE BREAK IN SETTINGS?
jcurran01 is offline  
post #6 of 120 Old 09-26-2011, 03:20 PM
Newbie
 
mentalcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought one a few weeks ago and I have to say this is one of the nicest sets. After tweaking the picture settings a little the picture is perfect and destroys the PQ on my 4yr old 42" Toshiba. I just purchased a WMN1000b and can't wait to mount it to the wall!
mentalcase is offline  
post #7 of 120 Old 09-26-2011, 06:04 PM
Newbie
 
genericuser8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I posted this in the 6000 series owner thread, page 39, but I thought I would post it here too.

I own a D6420. For movies and basic tv watching, it's fine. If you're really into sports and video games (like me) here are a few thoughts.

I played Call of Duty: Black Ops single player campaign with Game Mode OFF. I noticed no lag. I played Gears of War 3 campaign, and I noticed no lag until I tried the "active reload", where you have to tap the right bumper on the controller to reload your gun. Then, I noticed the lag. It's pretty bad. You have to hit the button about 1/2 second early, and it's pretty obvious there is lag. I consider the Gear of War active reload test the "standard" for testing tv input lag.

So, I turned Game Mode on, and now I don't notice any lag at all. It basically fixed the problem.

Seriously. Game Mode seems to have completely gotten rid of the lag. A little could still be there, but if so, it's imperceptible.

I still watch sports on my DirecTV box with game mode OFF. It saves your settings for each input, and I did not turn on game mode for the DirecTV box. Here, I can see occassional "ghosting" when the quarterback throws a long bomb or during punts, but generally, it is not a huge issue. I can see a bit of ghosting every now and then, but I personally don't see it as a big issue. I normally go with the highest end tv possible so I don't have to worry about stuff like this, and I hear the 7000 and 8000 series are much better about fast motion than the 6000 series. However, for $500 difference in price, I can live with a little ghosting every now and then. It's not awful all the time or anything, just something that shows up every now and then. But, like I said, if I enabled game mode for the DirecTV box, the ghosting might go away. I don't know.

Whatever the case, I enabled Game Mode for my xbox, and the lag is no longer a problem, and I really haven't noticed any difference in the picture.

For most games, even with Game Mode off, I did not notice any major lag. But when put to the test, it definitely is there. I have not seen any ghosting at all in games, which I attribute to having Game Mode on.

Overall, I've had the set for 3 weeks and am pretty happy. I wish I had gotten the 7000 series, which is a little more expensive (about $500 more, right now, I think), but not as expensive as the 8000 series, but overall, I don't really feel like I regret my purchase. The tv has a great picture, and I prefer the brightness of LCD LED technology of Plasma, which seems very dark to me. In movies and normal television, I have not noticed ghosting at all.
genericuser8888 is offline  
post #8 of 120 Old 09-27-2011, 01:23 AM
Newbie
 
BigDruDogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello just picked up the UN55D6400, and I love it!

Does anyone have any calibration advice or threads going for this model? Thanks
BigDruDogg is offline  
post #9 of 120 Old 09-28-2011, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member
 
Ice Cold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by genericuser8888 View Post

I posted this in the 6000 series owner thread, page 39, but I thought I would post it here too.

I own a D6420. For movies and basic tv watching, it's fine. If you're really into sports and video games (like me) here are a few thoughts.

I played Call of Duty: Black Ops single player campaign with Game Mode OFF. I noticed no lag. I played Gears of War 3 campaign, and I noticed no lag until I tried the "active reload", where you have to tap the right bumper on the controller to reload your gun. Then, I noticed the lag. It's pretty bad. You have to hit the button about 1/2 second early, and it's pretty obvious there is lag. I consider the Gear of War active reload test the "standard" for testing tv input lag.

So, I turned Game Mode on, and now I don't notice any lag at all. It basically fixed the problem.

Seriously. Game Mode seems to have completely gotten rid of the lag. A little could still be there, but if so, it's imperceptible.

I still watch sports on my DirecTV box with game mode OFF. It saves your settings for each input, and I did not turn on game mode for the DirecTV box. Here, I can see occassional "ghosting" when the quarterback throws a long bomb or during punts, but generally, it is not a huge issue. I can see a bit of ghosting every now and then, but I personally don't see it as a big issue. I normally go with the highest end tv possible so I don't have to worry about stuff like this, and I hear the 7000 and 8000 series are much better about fast motion than the 6000 series. However, for $500 difference in price, I can live with a little ghosting every now and then. It's not awful all the time or anything, just something that shows up every now and then. But, like I said, if I enabled game mode for the DirecTV box, the ghosting might go away. I don't know.

Whatever the case, I enabled Game Mode for my xbox, and the lag is no longer a problem, and I really haven't noticed any difference in the picture.

For most games, even with Game Mode off, I did not notice any major lag. But when put to the test, it definitely is there. I have not seen any ghosting at all in games, which I attribute to having Game Mode on.

Overall, I've had the set for 3 weeks and am pretty happy. I wish I had gotten the 7000 series, which is a little more expensive (about $500 more, right now, I think), but not as expensive as the 8000 series, but overall, I don't really feel like I regret my purchase. The tv has a great picture, and I prefer the brightness of LCD LED technology of Plasma, which seems very dark to me. In movies and normal television, I have not noticed ghosting at all.

Can you please tell us more about gaming and your expriences with the D6420 I want to purchase one so badly
Ice Cold is offline  
post #10 of 120 Old 10-01-2011, 05:21 PM
Member
 
code4code5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Thornton, CO
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I feel like a schmuck... I didn't find this thread before and or been posting in the 6000 thread. Whoops! I love my 6420 and have really been enjoying it.
code4code5 is offline  
post #11 of 120 Old 10-11-2011, 10:26 PM
Member
 
Marco79f's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have the 60d6420 and I like the set, but I noticed some minor clouding and a dead pixel....I might exchange it! Not sure if I will stick with the same model!
Marco79f is offline  
post #12 of 120 Old 10-12-2011, 12:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
leftyguitar1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Texas
Posts: 873
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
game mode? is that only on the 6420? i've never noticed it on my 6400. where would i look to find it? which menu/sub-menu is it located in?

we've been enjoying our 55D6400 for a few months now & love it over all the other TVs that i've brought in over the last few years. my wife says it was like "Musical TVs" during that time, but the 6400 is here to stay. absolutely, no flashlighting whatsoever!

we had some issues with some brightness fluctuations, but i've found that with LED Motion Plus turned off this goes away.
leftyguitar1963 is offline  
post #13 of 120 Old 10-12-2011, 06:27 AM
Member
 
Marco79f's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Here is a picture of my set.
LL
Marco79f is offline  
post #14 of 120 Old 10-12-2011, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BoilerJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,168
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco79f View Post

Here is a picture of my set.

Is that bright white spot on the lower left supposed to be a dead pixel? I guess I've never seen a dead pixel, but I thought they would be much smaller than that. Other than that, the screen looks pretty darned good to me. No edge-lit LED/LCD has totally perfect screen uniformity. Yours looks much better than most (except, as I said, for the bright white spot).
BoilerJim is online now  
post #15 of 120 Old 10-12-2011, 07:22 AM
Member
 
Marco79f's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

Is that bright white spot on the lower left supposed to be a dead pixel? I guess I've never seen a dead pixel, but I thought they would be much smaller than that. Other than that, the screen looks pretty darned good to me. No edge-lit LED/LCD has totally perfect screen uniformity. Yours looks much better than most (except, as I said, for the bright white spot).

The spot is the pause symbol from my ps3......The dead pixel cannot be seen from that picture!

I would have kept the tv, but sadly when i saw the dead pixel
Marco79f is offline  
post #16 of 120 Old 10-12-2011, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BoilerJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,168
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco79f View Post

The spot is the pause symbol from my ps3......The dead pixel cannot be seen from that picture!

I would have kept the tv, but sadly when i saw the dead pixel

Would have kept? Does this mean you already took it back? Did you try massaging the "dead" pixel as some have suggested? Wow, that panel actually looked pretty good to me.
BoilerJim is online now  
post #17 of 120 Old 10-12-2011, 08:03 AM
Member
 
Marco79f's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

Would have kept? Does this mean you already took it back? Did you try massaging the "dead" pixel as some have suggested? Wow, that panel actually looked pretty good to me.

Sorry, I mean that I was considering keeping it until I noticed the pixel. After work, i'm going to try and see if i can fix it.
Marco79f is offline  
post #18 of 120 Old 10-13-2011, 06:57 PM
Newbie
 
genericuser8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold View Post

Can you please tell us more about gaming and your expriences with the D6420 I want to purchase one so badly

Playing with Game Mode on, here are my results:

Well, I've beaten Deus Ex: Invisible War on this television. It looked great and I never saw a problem at all.

I've beaten Gears of War 3 on this television, and I only saw a little bit of ghosting once or twice during movie scenes where a character's face was turning very quickly. I don't know if it was the television or the game engine. Regardless, I noticed it twice, ONLY during movie scenes, in about 10 hours of gaming. I never noticed anything wrong at all during game play.

I've played Halo: Reach, and I have noticed one thing, and this could be the problem with Gears of War 3. When a game has "blur" as an effect during a movie scene, it tends to look a little crappy on this tv. Some of the first level's Halo: Reach cutscenes had some notably crappy looking helicopter blades spinning during cutscenes. But, during gameplay, I did not notice any problems. Arguably, if I TRIED to look for problems by looking directing at my rifle barrel while turning left and right rapidly, it looked a little weird at times, but overall, I did not notice anything major.

Based on my experience with this television, I am pretty happy with it. The only time that I've seen anything notable was when a game employs blur effects during in-engine cutscenes. Gameplay itself has been fine, Game Mode eliminates input lag, and if a game uses cgi cutscenes (like Deus Ex), I have not noticed any problems at all. So, overall, if you have the money get the higher model because it will likely perform better, but if you are worried about gaming on this tv, I say it works pretty well. It's not "perfect", but I've beaten 3 games on this tv, and I have no major complaints other than a few ugly cutscenes during Halo: Reach, where heavy blur effects where used. Gear of War 3, other than two very minor moments, looked great, and Deus Ex: Human Revolution looked very great with no problems at all.

Just to be clear, I had no problems at all with anything during gameplay. The only problems that I ever encountered were fast 2-3 second bits during in-engine cutscenes that only affected the part of the scene where there was a blur effect (helicopter blades in Halo: Reach, and a close up on Marcus's face turning very quickly in Gear of War 3). I have had zero problems in multiplayer, and I've been playing the Xbox 360 beta of Battlefield 3.

By the way, Game Mode is found hidden in the system menu or picture mode menu or something like that, I forget. It's not where you would think it would be.
genericuser8888 is offline  
post #19 of 120 Old 10-14-2011, 01:46 PM
Member
 
Jimmbean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,

I thought I should also post to this thread.

I just wanted to advert you, thar there is a problem regarding the whole D6 LED Smart TV Line.

The problem is that the TVs reduce the resolution in 3D Mode.
Because of this the picturequality is reduced to nearly SD Quality (and not FULLHD as it is sold)

You don't believe?

visit this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=21019813

We also got a thread in the SamyGo forum:
http://forum.samygo.tv/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2346

We noticed this because of this test:
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsu...1108131337.htm


And also created a wikipage:
http://wiki.samygo.tv/index.php5/D6x...L_HD_3D_Defect

HERE YOU CAN DOWNLOAD A TESTPIC FOR FREE TO CHECK THE IMAGEQUALITY.


I hope that there is some reply.


Greetings Jimmy
Jimmbean is offline  
post #20 of 120 Old 10-14-2011, 03:25 PM
Newbie
 
Serilkath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montréal
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmbean View Post

Hi guys,

I thought I should also post to this thread.

I just wanted to advert you, thar there is a problem regarding the whole D6 LED Smart TV Line.

The problem is that the TVs reduce the resolution in 3D Mode.
Because of this the picturequality is reduced to nearly SD Quality (and not FULLHD as it is sold)

...


Greetings Jimmy

Please stop polluting ALL Samsung 6000 series with the same post. Moreover, it is misleading. Keep this issue to the relevant 3D forum.

Those who forget the past are bound to repeat it...
Serilkath is offline  
post #21 of 120 Old 10-14-2011, 06:29 PM
Member
 
Marco79f's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have had my 60d6420 for a couple of days and I can say this:
-coming from a pn59d6500, I was impressed on how good the PQ was on the LED (not better, but very close).
-The blacks where quite satisfying when considering the price of the set even though to obtain deep blacks the settings were at a level that some of the blacks were crashed.
-as far as screen reflections, I am a big fan of glossy and I liked the way the glossy screen adds pop to the overall image.
-Gaming on the set was pleasant, but lag is there and noticeable as well as some trailing. Game mode helps, but just reducing the issue.
-3D to me was a disappointment when compared to the PN59D6500, lots of cross talk, and ghosting...plus the overall image quality was somewhat inferior to the one from the plasma. I have watched the same content available on smart tv 3d app.
-the backlight bleeding was somewhat bad (in my opinion) but better than most sets.
-It also had a dead pixel in the middle.
-I really think that the set is one of the better looking on the market just below the higher sammys. I even prefer it when compared to the xbr.......

I ended up returning the set for a tcp60GT30 as I think this time around it is going to be plasma for me......I just can't stand clouding/flashlighting/bleeding......just can't.
Marco79f is offline  
post #22 of 120 Old 10-14-2011, 10:37 PM
Member
 
Jimmbean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
@Serilkath
Sorry, if I annoyed you.
I don't know whether you own a D6 LED TV or not but Ithink there is some need to advert as many users as possible because Samsung do not crae about this problem at the moment!

I allready created a thread in the 3D area.
So keep cool!


@ the others:

if youre interested please check your TV and give some response.

Best regards Jimmy
Jimmbean is offline  
post #23 of 120 Old 10-16-2011, 06:40 PM
Newbie
 
Lumberjack Mark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey folks- just bought this TV today since Best Buy put it on sale. I wondered if anyone had any insight as to whether Samsung planned to update the firmware or write an app of some sort to include the browser on this model in the future. I did some searching around and noticed that a "Mr Samsung" had been posting some generic response indicating it's not presently available (duh), but hope this is some kind of corporate line until they come out with it.

Thanks..
Lumberjack Mark is offline  
post #24 of 120 Old 10-17-2011, 11:58 AM
Newbie
 
barlev869's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone have any good calibration settings for the 6420 yet?
barlev869 is offline  
post #25 of 120 Old 10-18-2011, 10:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
leftyguitar1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Texas
Posts: 873
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
this site has a good tweak(pardon the pun):

http://www.tweaktv.com/discuss/my-sa...ings/view.html
leftyguitar1963 is offline  
post #26 of 120 Old 10-19-2011, 07:42 AM
Senior Member
 
cleh19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberjack Mark View Post

Hey folks- just bought this TV today since Best Buy put it on sale. I wondered if anyone had any insight as to whether Samsung planned to update the firmware or write an app of some sort to include the browser on this model in the future. I did some searching around and noticed that a "Mr Samsung" had been posting some generic response indicating it's not presently available (duh), but hope this is some kind of corporate line until they come out with it.

Thanks..

My guess is that no, we shouldn't expect any update that brings a browser to the D6420 series. While it would be nice and probably possible with the hardware- that's how they sell different models, with the different features.

While I would love to be pleasantly surprised, If having a browser built in is super important to you I probably wouldn't rely on Samsung adding the feature.

(my 2 cents anyway - from past experience with that line "not presently available")
cleh19 is offline  
post #27 of 120 Old 10-19-2011, 07:59 AM
Senior Member
 
cleh19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by genericuser8888 View Post

Playing with Game Mode on, here are my results:

Well, I've beaten Deus Ex: Invisible War on this television. It looked great and I never saw a problem at all.

I've beaten Gears of War 3 on this television, and I only saw a little bit of ghosting once or twice during movie scenes where a character's face was turning very quickly. I don't know if it was the television or the game engine. Regardless, I noticed it twice, ONLY during movie scenes, in about 10 hours of gaming. I never noticed anything wrong at all during game play.

I've played Halo: Reach, and I have noticed one thing, and this could be the problem with Gears of War 3. When a game has "blur" as an effect during a movie scene, it tends to look a little crappy on this tv. Some of the first level's Halo: Reach cutscenes had some notably crappy looking helicopter blades spinning during cutscenes. But, during gameplay, I did not notice any problems. Arguably, if I TRIED to look for problems by looking directing at my rifle barrel while turning left and right rapidly, it looked a little weird at times, but overall, I did not notice anything major.

Based on my experience with this television, I am pretty happy with it. The only time that I've seen anything notable was when a game employs blur effects during in-engine cutscenes. Gameplay itself has been fine, Game Mode eliminates input lag, and if a game uses cgi cutscenes (like Deus Ex), I have not noticed any problems at all. So, overall, if you have the money get the higher model because it will likely perform better, but if you are worried about gaming on this tv, I say it works pretty well. It's not "perfect", but I've beaten 3 games on this tv, and I have no major complaints other than a few ugly cutscenes during Halo: Reach, where heavy blur effects where used. Gear of War 3, other than two very minor moments, looked great, and Deus Ex: Human Revolution looked very great with no problems at all.

Just to be clear, I had no problems at all with anything during gameplay. The only problems that I ever encountered were fast 2-3 second bits during in-engine cutscenes that only affected the part of the scene where there was a blur effect (helicopter blades in Halo: Reach, and a close up on Marcus's face turning very quickly in Gear of War 3). I have had zero problems in multiplayer, and I've been playing the Xbox 360 beta of Battlefield 3.

By the way, Game Mode is found hidden in the system menu or picture mode menu or something like that, I forget. It's not where you would think it would be.

I second that. I bought this set as primarily a tv/gaming set and it fits the bill just fine. I wouldn't take it as a monitor to any pc gaming/counterstrike tournaments, but for general console gaming I have yet to have any issues with lag in game mode.

A lot of people say that Samsungs are pretty notorious for input lag problems, but this set performs right around my samsung B650 plasma (~30-35ms lag) and its small enough where I feel like your eyes adjust instantly to not even notice it.

My biggest complaint is the auto dimming of the backlight during gaming. For certain scenes where only a small amount of text (or small picture) is on screen and the rest is black, the set will autodim the whole image (allusion of blacks being darker). Again, probably only noticeable 5% of the time, but when it happens I notice it, although not a big deal.
cleh19 is offline  
post #28 of 120 Old 10-23-2011, 09:35 PM
Newbie
 
barlev869's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyguitar1963 View Post

this site has a good tweak(pardon the pun):

http://www.tweaktv.com/discuss/my-sa...ings/view.html

Thank you. I tried these but it seemed a little dull to me.

I'm using these settings below and the picture looks amazing imo. Just a slight tweak from the standard setting.

Comcast HD box.
Insignia 3D/HDMI cable.

Picture mode: Standard
Backlight: 15
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 45
Sharpness: 50
Color: 50
Tint: 50/50

Advanced Settings
Black Tone: Dark
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Shadow Detail: 1
Gamma: 0
Color Space: Custom / Reset
White Balance: Stock settings
Flesh Tone: 0
Edge Enhacement: Off
Motion Lighting: Off
LED Motion Plus: Off

Picture Options
Color Tone: Standard
Digital Noise: Auto
MPEG Noise: Auto
Film Mode: Off
Auto Motion Plus: Standard
barlev869 is offline  
post #29 of 120 Old 11-12-2011, 04:37 PM
Newbie
 
tykynatkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum and was thrilled to see this thread as I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my un55d6400! Hopefully Monday! I had my heart set on the pn59d7000 but had a change of heart at the last minute. I play a lot of video games and was worried about screen burn. I know it's not as bad as it used to be with plasmas but I didn't want to spend that much money and risk ruining an $1800.00 tv. I'm a little concerned about input lag but I see some posts on here that address it and feel a little better after reading them. I mostly play shooters like Call of Duty and Battlefield so it is still a bit of a concern. I guess I'll find out in a few days and I'll share my experience.
tykynatkel is offline  
post #30 of 120 Old 11-13-2011, 06:21 AM
Member
 
Marco79f's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tykynatkel View Post

Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum and was thrilled to see this thread as I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my un55d6400! Hopefully Monday! I had my heart set on the pn59d7000 but had a change of heart at the last minute. I play a lot of video games and was worried about screen burn. I know it's not as bad as it used to be with plasmas but I didn't want to spend that much money and risk ruining an $1800.00 tv. I'm a little concerned about input lag but I see some posts on here that address it and feel a little better after reading them. I mostly play shooters like Call of Duty and Battlefield so it is still a bit of a concern. I guess I'll find out in a few days and I'll share my experience.

I owned the pn59d6500 and the Un60d6420 (the 6400 for future shop). It is a though call and both tv have their flaws. The plasma has the brightness pop, but If you can get over them it is a good tv, no lag and colors are great. The led is a sleek set with decent blacks and pq, but in comparison to the plasma it has noticeable input lag and it is plagued by uneven backlight issues. Also on the 3d side the plasma has the edge, as the led shows a lot of crosstalk an the overall picture quality I found to be superior on the plasma. I opted for a different manufacturer but they are both decent tvs. To me the risk of burn in is something that I can control and don't really have long gaming sessions, but if you really play a lot of video games then your decision was right, hopefully your set has even backlight and no dead pixels. In game mode the lag is noticeably improved therefore it will serve your purpose.
Marco79f is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un46d6400 Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55d6400 55 Inch 3d Led Hdtv , Samsung Un60d6400 60 Inch 1080p 120 Hz 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off