AVS Forum banner

Official Sharp 2011 LC-70LE734U Owner's Thread

10K views 41 replies 23 participants last post by  liquidsilk 
#1 ·
Well decide to start this thread since there is one for almost every other model except this one? Has anyone purchased this model yet? I have been looking at getting this model and have found a place where I can't beat the price they our offering me, almost $900.00 savings on it. Just wanted to see what you guys think of this model. I am not into 3-D so that is why I'm not getting that model. Wondering how the picture is and the Wi-Fi, and also playing video games on it. Hope you guys can give me some good advice, thanks.

#2 ·
I just took possession of my new LC-70LE734U yesterday. Initial impressions are that it is adequately larger than my old Sony 60" KDS-60A2000 and the picture is certainly crisper, especially noticeable when functioning as a computer monitor for my HTPC. I have applied the picture configuration that I found online and it looks pretty good, but I would like to know if anyone has calibrated this beast and would like to share. These are the settings I used, but they were really for the 120hz model (LC-70LE732U)

--Picture Settings menu

AV MODE: MOVIE

OPC: Off

Backlight: +12

Contrast: +30

Brightness: 0

Color: 0

Tint: 0

Sharpness: 0

--Advanced sub-menu

C.M.S. -Hue

R: 0

Y: 0

G: -5

C: +6

B: -1

M: +2

C.M.S. -Saturation

R: 0

Y: -1

G: -6

C: 0

B: -9

M: -2

C.M.S. -Value

R: +2

Y: 0

G: +3

C: +4

B: 0

M: 0

Color Gamut Range: Standard

Color Temp: Low

R Gain (LO): -3

G Gain (LO): -3

B Gain (LO): -3

R Gain (HI): +1

G Gain (HI): -5

B Gain (HI): -4

Motion Enhancement: 120Hz High

Quad Pixel Plus: On

Active Contrast: Off

Gamma Adjustment: 0

Film Mode: Off

Digital Noise Reduction: Off

Monochrome: Off

Range of OPC: [any]

#3 ·
I am getting the TV later on today. I have seen that 70LE735U thread has a few picture settings, since the 35U has the 3-D, I would think those settings might work better then the settings for the 32U model, I don't know. But I do have some questions for you, how is the TV for video games, how does it look in a well lit room, also are you or have you calibrated it by a professional

#4 ·
I don't play video games so I can't answer that, but I do have a home theater PC hooked up to it at 1080P and it looks fantastic. I have calibrated it to the best of my (and Digital Video Essentials) ability, but with a TV this size, you really notice the differences in the source material, especially when viewing a satellite feed. Some shows/channels are great while other are very crappy. I didn't notice it nearly as much with my Sony 60". As far as a well lit room goes, it performs quite well, although it does exhibit a little more reflection from the screen than the Sony, but overall brightness can be adjusted to overcome any room lighting situation. On the Sony, downloaded (decent quality) 1080P content looked almost as good as Blu-ray, but on this set Bly-ray simply blows away anything with a compressed video stream.

I am sure you are going to love the set.

Murray

#8 ·
To all,

I've posted this in the 735 thread but heard nothing yet. I'm partially blind in one eye, so 3D is mostly lost on me. Since I will be the primary viewer of the TV, is there any significant 2D picture quality above the 734 for the 735? I'd hate to spend the extra money for a feature I'd seldom use.

My thanks in advance,

#11 ·
Hey guys I was watching the new Star Wars BRay, return of the jedi and I noticed allot of blurriness??? I am wondering if my settings are messed up, I tried Battle Los Angeles, the freeway scene and noticed it there too??? I have a sony BDV-300 surround sound system which is really nice for my needs. I don’t know if it’s my settings or my Sony BR player, wondering if any one knows how to fix the issue or has experienced this before, T.V is two weeks old? Thanks every one.

#13 ·
I really need some calibration settings for my 734 . Would anyone mind posting some up? I just can't seem to get mine right and am desperate!

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanii19 /forum/post/21259347

Anyone?

Here is what I landed on:

AV - Movie

OPC - Off

B +12

C +30

B +1

C +9

T +2

S +1

Hue 0,0,-5,+6,-1,+2

Sat 0,-1,-6,0,-9,-2

Val +2.0.+3.+4.0,0

Gamut range expanded

Temp - Low - -3,-3,-3,+1,-5,-4

AquoMotion240

Quad - On

Contrast - off

Gamma - 0

Film - off

Digital Noise -off

Monochrome - off

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlatter /forum/post/21271102

Here is what I landed on:

AV - Movie

OPC - Off

B +12

C +30

B +1

C +9

T +2

S +1

Hue 0,0,-5,+6,-1,+2

Sat 0,-1,-6,0,-9,-2

Val +2.0.+3.+4.0,0

Gamut range expanded

Temp - Low - -3,-3,-3,+1,-5,-4

AquoMotion240

Quad - On

Contrast - off

Gamma - 0

Film - off

Digital Noise -off

Monochrome - off

What about the color temp settings?

#19 ·
I pick mine up tomorrow!!! Retiring my 61" DLP Sammy. Just not a good fit with my HTPC anymore. Saw this bad boy in person today and I'm in love. I cannot watch plasmas due to the constant flicker (similar to a 60hz old CRT computer monitor(I know I'm in the minority on this) I would have a 65" Panny VT in my living room if my eyes didn't get fatigued after 30 seconds.)

I played with this for an hour today and really liked it - definitely needs some picture tweaking though.

$2,700 is a pretty awesome price for this set IMO.

#20 ·
Any other calibration settings anyone wants to share?

#21 ·
Ok, I'm having a major issue with my 734. Just delivered this past Tuesday 12/20 and last night I flipped to the 3D channels from directv and I'd say about the 3rd time that I flipped the channed from a 3d to a regular channel the screen just cut out. The power light is blinking and still is now. Pulled the power cord for a while and nothing, same blinking power light. Power button does absolutely nothing. Did I get a lemon or what?!?!?!?

#23 ·
Does anyone know if you can use the calibration settings from other models besides the 734? If so, which are best?

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanii19 /forum/post/21391764

Any other calibration settings anyone wants to share?

+1

Got the set going and it's awesome, but I need some color cal work bigtime. I find the available cal settings to be way too strong in the yellow/green dept.

Still fiddling. I'll post what I finally land on.

#25 ·
I've had the set for 2 weeks, other than the brutal factory default settings the picture vs. price is very good. I've noticed one annoying thing however, in a lot of dark scenes if a light is in the shot there is blue ghosting of the lights that trail with the picture if the camera is panning. Also, even in a bright scene (was watching a football game) if the lens is showing sun flare it ends up as blue blobs instead of yellow or white. Wondering if anyone else has this problem or there's something funky with mine.

#26 ·
I just got mine a few days ago. I haven't noticed anything like that. I did notice when was watching finding Nemo from the PS3 upscaled, that in certain lighting a grow was cast around the actors(nemo). Im not sure if that was linked to the upscaling or not. Other than that color looks great, still need to calibrate. currently running dynamic with 240 enabled.

can't wait to see how a blu-ray looks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.