AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmurr View Post
Why he is selling it for list price?
That is "MAP" pricing. Pricing is starting to fall a tad as of this moment on both models on the street.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 14582 Old 09-15-2011, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767;
It could have been a case of THX saying rgb is rgb not rgb+y and therefore does not meet our standards. But then again, apparently they didn't say that, because the rgb+y is on the market with the THX stamp affixed. No big deal. If it calibrates to Rec 709 standards there is nothing to argue about.
Seems to me that not all pro's agree on this - so its categorized controversial - which is why a RGB+Y Sharp ( which includes the Elite Pro!) is a no go for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767
Kevin is well respected and I owe him for some previously provided information. but......
He reviewed a pre-production Elite Pro. We never know if the yellow sub-pixel was shut off or (kind of) neutralized. Its clear to me that he believes in the product so he might be willing to do some fact-bending here and there.

I believe you when you're saying that the yellow sub-pixel is active in THX mode so i will include your posts in the (why does THX cert. requirers yellow sub pixel to be shut off?) thread i started in the Calibration Forumhttp://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1356530
post #543 of 14582 Old 09-15-2011, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayla;
My Sharp dealer has now confirmed that the X5 won't be sold in Europe

But he did tell me that a Sharp "F7" will we launched in a few months.

It will be available in 70" and is a Quattron panel with LED backlight and local dimming.

I've never heard of the "F7" before?

Anyone know anything about this model?

I really hope it's as good as the X5!
the flatpanelhd guy claimed that the X5 would in the European 2011 line-uphttp://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php...&id=1310737938
post #544 of 14582 Old 09-15-2011, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
RadTech51 mentioned that in several performance areas the Elite 70 is "best in class". Are there any other 70 inch, $8,000 TVs that are in that price class? The only thing I can think of is the 65 inch Sony 929. I haven't followed that model all that closely as it is still vaporware.
post #545 of 14582 Old 09-15-2011, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Last night I checked out the 60" at Magnolia using my own media (Christmas Carol, Tron Legacy, Avatar, and Harry Potter 7) (couldn't watch Xmas Carol or Tron in 3D as the store did not have the glasses on hand). I switched between "Pure" and "THX" mode for all four movies. For all movies, Pure looked substantially better to my eye - it provided what seemed like accurate colors and the 'pop' of Kuro plasmas. THX looked far too washed out, and I'm used to watching media on a Panasonic ISF calibrated plasma. However, in Pure mode, the display seemed to have some of that soap opera effect (or whatever it's called) and didn't seem to handle motion the same way that motion was handled in THX mode. So, is it possible to put the TV in THX mode but make adjustments to the color or is THX mode "locked"?
post #546 of 14582 Old 09-15-2011, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 333
point of order

stop the bickering and where to buy talk

keep your posts to technical issues
post #547 of 14582 Old 09-15-2011, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadTech51 View Post

Watching movies: During live motion video with fast panning scenes things looked really great. The ELITE handled everything I threw at it and more very nicely, I was very impressed. It obviously has the best motion I've seen on an LCD TV although the 929 did come in close behind from what I could remember. Additionally I could find no signs of DSE during fast panning scenes on white backgrounds, I was extremely impressed with the purity of the screen and the way it handled everything it just looked great.

RadTech51, thank you very much for the motion blur and DSE observations. Unfortunately I am sensitive to both and hearing there is none perceived is great news since I am looking to go up in size from my Pio 500M.

Were you in THX mode?

Gman

ps, looking forward to other owner observations on motion blur and DSE, in particular with regards to dark room viewing of Football and Hockey.
post #548 of 14582 Old 09-15-2011, 11:21 AM

Liked: 11
My 70" was just delivered.. I'm at work though when it came.. Can't wait to try it out when I get home! :-)

Living Room: Elite Pro 70X5FD, Oppo BDP-93 Blu ray Player, and Yamaha Aventage RA-3000 A/V Receiver, Panamax M5300-PM, PS3 (60GB Fatty), XBOX 360 Elite 250GB, Nintendo Wii, XBOX HD DVD player, Logitech Harmony 1100 Remote

Bedroom: Samsung LNS4695 (First 1080P TV from Samsung) Pioneer Elite...

post #549 of 14582 Old 09-15-2011, 11:57 AM

Liked: 10
how does this tv compare to the 151fd

Pioneer Plasma 151fd
Oppo BDP-93
post #550 of 14582 Old 09-15-2011, 12:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 473
RadTech's review spelled "definitely" correctly. That happens about 2% of the time across the whole internet. It is for this reason I believe his review to be thoughtful and of high quality and everyone should read it if they are in the market for this TV.

BFJ, I commented on this a month or so ago, I know well who Kevin is and have no doubt his credibility here is quite high. What I said then holds true: He was given special access to this brand new, top-op-market product. He's human. It was going to be difficult for him to say much that was negative about it. He was also more likely to discuss things he'd spent time which; things likely to perform well because he spent time with them, discussed them with the mfr. etc. It's not that his review was biased, it's that it couldn't have been totally unbiased.

When someone who didn't work with Sharp/Pioneer on these displays and has 1/2 Kevin's credentials reviews the display, I'd be interested to read their impressions as a counterpoint. If they agree 100% with Kevin, all the better.

That said, I've now seen the Elite. I don't need a review to know it's in a small handful of displays that clearly separate from the pack this year. One of those is a plasma (the VT30 Panasonic with upgrades to handle the brightness fluctuations), one of them is a Sony LCD that is too small currently and awaits a big brother (the HX929 series), and the third is the Elite. And aside from coming in at 70", the Elite has some characteristics that are clearly state of the art.

There are always tradeoffs as RadTech notes -- perhaps the Elite is not quite the motion handler of the VT30 by a smidge -- but is this the best flat panel ever sold? On balance, it probably is. That said, the margin by which that is true is smaller than you'd get the impression reading some of the hyperbole, even around Kevin's positive review (not the review itself, which was very hyperbole free). It's silly to try to do this numerically, but we are talking ~10% better than the competition in 2011 or the vaunted Kuro. Maybe for you, that number is 20% (although I'd ask on what metrics you get an overall sense of 20% better). But anyone claiming 50% better or 100% better is just easy to disregard.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #551 of 14582 Old 09-15-2011, 12:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanAVS View Post

RadTech51, thank you very much for the motion blur and DSE observations. Unfortunately I am sensitive to both and hearing there is none perceived is great news since I am looking to go up in size from my Pio 500M.

Were you in THX mode?

Gman

ps, looking forward to other owner observations on motion blur and DSE, in particular with regards to dark room viewing of Football and Hockey.

I will disagree with RadTech on the DSE point...at least as it relates to the 60" Elite. Yes, white field uniformity is top-notch, but it apparently does not necessarily translate to a "DSE-free" image. Watching a soccer game for example, DSE is clearly visible and easy to spot. So an excellent white field does not guarantee you similar DSE performance with actual content.

If this is a major issue for you, I would strongly suggest you see one of these in person and be sure that appropriate material is playing that will reveal any DSE. I can watch considerable content including most movies, and never see DES. But watch a sporting even with green fields, and it can be a different story.
post #552 of 14582 Old 09-15-2011, 12:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

It's silly to try to do this numerically, but we are talking ~10% better than the competition in 2011 or the vaunted Kuro. Maybe for you, that number is 20% (although I'd ask on what metrics you get an overall sense of 20% better). But anyone claiming 50% better or 100% better is just easy to disregard.

Well put and, IMO, accurately stated.
post #553 of 14582 Old 09-15-2011, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks to all the recent owners for reviews and observations.

I've been waiting patiently for a 70" TV since I first designed my tv room 8 years ago (although I've somehow managed to "get by" with a 60" 151 for three years).

Can't wait to see this baby live and in person.
post #554 of 14582 Old 09-15-2011, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

RadTech's review spelled "definitely" correctly. That happens about 2% of the time across the whole internet. It is for this reason I believe his review to be thoughtful and of high quality and everyone should read it if they are in the market for this TV.

BFJ, I commented on this a month or so ago, I know well who Kevin is and have no doubt his credibility here is quite high. What I said then holds true: He was given special access to this brand new, top-op-market product. He's human. It was going to be difficult for him to say much that was negative about it. He was also more likely to discuss things he'd spent time which; things likely to perform well because he spent time with them, discussed them with the mfr. etc. It's not that his review was biased, it's that it couldn't have been totally unbiased.

When someone who didn't work with Sharp/Pioneer on these displays and has 1/2 Kevin's credentials reviews the display, I'd be interested to read their impressions as a counterpoint. If they agree 100% with Kevin, all the better.

That said, I've now seen the Elite. I don't need a review to know it's in a small handful of displays that clearly separate from the pack this year. One of those is a plasma (the VT30 Panasonic with upgrades to handle the brightness fluctuations), one of them is a Sony LCD that is too small currently and awaits a big brother (the HX929 series), and the third is the Elite. And aside from coming in at 70", the Elite has some characteristics that are clearly state of the art.

There are always tradeoffs as RadTech notes -- perhaps the Elite is not quite the motion handler of the VT30 by a smidge -- but is this the best flat panel ever sold? On balance, it probably is. That said, the margin by which that is true is smaller than you'd get the impression reading some of the hyperbole, even around Kevin's positive review (not the review itself, which was very hyperbole free). It's silly to try to do this numerically, but we are talking ~10% better than the competition in 2011 or the vaunted Kuro. Maybe for you, that number is 20% (although I'd ask on what metrics you get an overall sense of 20% better). But anyone claiming 50% better or 100% better is just easy to disregard.

Rogo, my response wasn't about anything you said. It was more towards hififun's last post.

I totally understand where you are coming from & totally agree with you.
post #555 of 14582 Old 09-15-2011, 02:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFJ 96 View Post
Rogo, my response wasn't about anything you said. It was more towards hififun's last post.

I totally understand where you are coming from & totally agree with you.
Aye, I get that you weren't responding to me. I just wanted to take the chance to chime in that particular issue, or really, non-issue.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #556 of 14582 Old 09-15-2011, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Aye, I get that you weren't responding to me. I just wanted to take the chance to chime in that particular issue, or really, non-issue.
Your comments are always welcome
post #557 of 14582 Old 09-15-2011, 03:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY613 View Post
how does this tv compare to the 151fd
I prefer it to my 151.
post #558 of 14582 Old 09-15-2011, 03:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I turned on the Elite tonight and there said a software update was available, but when I went to get it, it said 'your TV is up to date'.

Anyone get this?

Edit: Looks like I'm getting this each time I turn on the TV, yet nothing shows up and it keeps repeating the TV is up to date.
post #559 of 14582 Old 09-15-2011, 03:51 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFJ 96 View Post
He's not only an ISF Calibrator. He is the co-founder with Joel Silver of ISF itself. He's also a Product Consultant to every major brand electronics company in the world.

This notion that he's jucing up previews for dealers is totally unfair & false. The man is 1 of the most respectable industry insiders we have.

The other thing is his preview/review was of a Pre-Production model. If people are seeing the YELLOW Pixel in THX Mode it could be SHARP put it back in Post-Production.
He is no friend of the consumer. I don't care for the ISF locking down your displays controls with proprietary access codes. This forces consumers to pay $450 a pop for each calibration.
Google and Apple also have also taken control of our phones and now tablet computers. What do they do it?
Until very recently, they secretly tracked consumers and sold it to anyone who would pay. Cable and satellite and Tivo all do the similar tactics, tracking your every button press.

Technology should be used to benefit consumers quality and enjoyment of life.
That is why I use a htpc's or laptops in many rooms connected by simple drive shares with Gigabit Ethernet. The main htpc records and is a NAS too. An HDMI 1.4 video card send both sound and 3D video to the receiver. Now after enjoying specifying the components, I control everything and its all free. No one is tracking me as OTA signals are one way.
Windows supports ICC color profiles which the vast majority of professionals in the other color industries use on a daily basis. I've never seen ICC profiles (lookup tables) discussed here at AVS, as we a so conditioned by the professionals in this industry.
By using long overdue advances in digital video technology, consumers don't have to support their proprietary solutions in the TV.
If the computer measures and calculates the errors why cant it correct them?

http://www.color.org/index.xalter
http://www.amazon.com/Xrite-EODIS3-i...6126944&sr=8-1

That being said, I do support Thx as they have worked behind the scenes to improve countless home theater products.
post #560 of 14582 Old 09-15-2011, 04:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes, PCs are free of evil, thanks to Microsoft and Intel, the benevolent technology overlords. Google, Apple and ISF are evil.

THX -- which basically gets paid to certify some products it deigns to deem good enough even though there are many other products that are as good -- is free of any evil. Got it.

Thanks for the for summary.

post #561 of 14582 Old 09-15-2011, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

I turned on the Elite tonight and there said a software update was available, but when I went to get it, it said 'your TV is up to date'.

Anyone get this?

Edit: Looks like I'm getting this each time I turn on the TV, yet nothing shows up and it keeps repeating the TV is up to date.

first three digits must read 213...otherwise it's not.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #562 of 14582 Old 09-15-2011, 06:48 PM

To those of you who have an ELITE: I'M JEALOUS!! I just came from BB (Orland Park, IL) where they have the 70 Elite set up. Spent about 45 minutes with the Magnolia manager going through it, watching. He popped in a couple of BR discs for me. Without a doubt, the BEST picture I've ever seen on a television. I gotta rob a bank.
post #563 of 14582 Old 09-15-2011, 07:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

first three digits must read 213...otherwise it's not.

But now how do you stop from getting this message every time your turn on the TV? It seems I'll have to disable all the update searching.
post #564 of 14582 Old 09-15-2011, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

But now how do you stop from getting this message every time your turn on the TV? It seems I'll have to disable all the update searching.

it sure sounds like it. i guess you'll have to choose the manual update option. i'm sure it's just a glitch, i here they have an exceptional concierge support dept. that you could call. i'm sure they could just dial in you know and fix right on the spot.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #565 of 14582 Old 09-15-2011, 07:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul416 View Post

To those of you who have an ELITE: I'M JEALOUS!! I just came from BB (Orland Park, IL) where they have the 70 Elite set up. Spent about 45 minutes with the Magnolia manager going through it, watching. He popped in a couple of BR discs for me. Without a doubt, the BEST picture I've ever seen on a television. I gotta rob a bank.

If you buy from BB, ya you probably would have to rob a bank. Not so bad from smaller independent dealers.....
post #566 of 14582 Old 09-15-2011, 08:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

it sure sounds like it. i guess you'll have to choose the manual update option. i'm sure it's just a glitch, i here they have an exceptional concierge support dept. that you could call. i'm sure they could just dial in you know and fix right on the spot.

Oh yeah, I forgot, 'concierge service'.
post #567 of 14582 Old 09-15-2011, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

what exactly do you guys mean with DSE? thanks!!!
post #568 of 14582 Old 09-15-2011, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty7 View Post

what exactly do you guys mean with DSE? thanks!!!

Dirty Screen Effect? I think that's what they call it. I for one have never seen it. Don't care to look for it.
post #569 of 14582 Old 09-15-2011, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

Dirty Screen Effect? I think that's what they call it. I for one have never seen it. Don't care to look for it.

I call it shmear.... look at a hockey game close up, the puck and ice don't look clear/clean sometimes (not that i can always follow the puck to begin with )
post #570 of 14582 Old 09-15-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnymac51 View Post

The yellow pixel is not hard to calibrate to the Rec. 709 spec. Not sure if any of you have seen the report from Robert of VE. He stated that his calibrator found problems with gamma in the isf mode. This has been reported to Sharp so let's see what happens. Anyone considering haveing a professional calibration of the isf modes might want to consider waiting for a fix first. I've already cancelled one calibration due to this issue.

What report?! I would definitely like to hear more about this.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Elite Black 70inch Pro 70x5fd Flat Panel 3d Led Hdtv , Sharp Elite Pro 60x5fd 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 70x5fd by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page