Official Sharp Elite PRO-70X5 and 60X5 Owners Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-17-2011, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
To see the true black level under real world conditions the following simple test is recommended:

Using a PC, create an all-black screen. Then move the mouse around the screen and observe any lightning behind-the-clouds. Use a paint program to fill a screen black or even pause in-between a Blu-ray movie previews.

If the pixels are independent you will only see the white mouse cursor moving. The surrounding black level will remain constant.

If the pixels are not independent you will be creating a lightning or haloing effect.

This test simulates real-world conditions, but makes it easy to learn and understand. Please post your observations.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2011, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

I believe you're only allowed to use $100/ft cables with the Elite.

Interestingly I'm finding that I'm getting more accurate colors in the "movie" mode as opposed to the "THX" mode. I just can't get certain colors to display the way I know they should in THX mode. Now perhaps a professional calibration would fix that, but without it I've got excellent color reproduction with plain ol' movie mode.

Based on your experience, I tried the movie mode and found the same thing. It also seems to have better shadow detail. Finally, and this will prove I'm no true videophile, I tried Fluidmotion and actually like it. Adds a bit of 3D like depth without SOE. Watched a bit of Narnia Dawn Treader and it added to the experience. Saw the same scene in a BB on a Sony 55" 929 and the 929 exaggerated the 3D effect and definitely had a huge SOE overdose.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

To see the true black level under real world conditions the following simple test is recommended:

Using a PC, create an all-black screen. Then move the mouse around the screen and observe any lightning behind-the-clouds. Use a paint program to fill a screen black or even pause in-between a Blu-ray movie previews.

If the pixels are independent you will only see the white mouse cursor moving. The surrounding black level will remain constant.

If the pixels are not independent you will be creating a lightning or haloing effect.

This test simulates real-world conditions, but makes it easy to learn and understand. Please post your observations.

Thanks!

dear mr. consumer advocate please tell me the following:

based on your observations what mfg. should i go with..

oven-range

over head microwave

refrigerator

dishwasher

vacuum cleaner

car/truck

avr

blu-ray player

speaker system

and i'm sure i have left other items out, but wanted to not forget the most important one.

which display....

thx you for your inquiry....your expertise is much appreciated...

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
Old 09-17-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topr View Post
In reference to what you would like to see specifically? Not only have they been around for several years there is an entire industry generated around HTPC's. Have you ever thumbed through an issue of CE Pro
True, but Google and Apple are doing their best to take over home networks where they are in charge (system administrators). Consumers need to realize this domination strategy and reject the invasion of our home and bedroom privacy.
Imagine you are in bed at 3:00am, can't sleep and turn on the TV. Google will instantly know and track your viewing habits and have a dossier ready for any court, investigator, police or lawyer. They don't notify you as its legal to do in secret, just like GPS tracking.
American technology has gone into the tracking toilet. With nothing better to do, we are feeding off each other, while the price of manufactures goods is goes thru the roof. Have you seen the price increases of goods from China (now that we are hooked)?
The devil himself could not have executed this plan any better.
A htpc defeats them all in one swoop.
---
X-rite, probably the largest maker display color calibration, released sub-standard or defective products in the past. I could not recommend them. Now, however even the calibrators here recognize the brilliance, price and accuracy of the i3 Display Pro 3 meter and free x-rite software. It the real deal for those who want the freedom, power and convenience of a htpc.
I authored a thread on reducing equipment clutter over in the htpc forum.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

dear mr. consumer advocate please tell me the following:
cleanup post
thx you for your inquiry....your expertise is much appreciated...

You see dear friend, you need to perform this test for yourself. In this way you can make an informed purchasing decision, independent of the cheerleading.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
HiFifreak or what ever you call yourself, please do us all a favor and take your right wing conspiracy theory self somewhere else. this is a forum to talk about a specific tv which you continue to bash because you cant afford it and then you have this silly talk about wild ideas on what big companies are doing to us. I ask you, have you ever been abducted by aliens and experimented on? I suspect the answer is a yes. Mods PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE I AM BEGGING YOU TO PUT AN END TO THIS POSTER AND HIS OFF TOPIC ASSAULTS
Old 09-17-2011, 03:50 PM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Just saw the 70" in person for the first time. While the black level, high brightness, detail and colors were all state of the art, something was just not to my liking. They were playing Avatar so I don't know if it was just that movie or not. I tried thx mode and fluid motion off and it still just seemed a little weird. Not sure how to explain it, but I think I will look at another tv for me. Again I think for people who like it, it is truly amazing! Just not for me, unless there are some other settings that might change my mind.

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, 65VT50
Old 09-17-2011, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

True, but Google and Apple are doing their best to take over home networks where they are in charge (system administrators). Consumers need to realize this domination strategy and reject the invasion of our home and bedroom privacy.
Imagine you are in bed at 3:00am, can't sleep and turn on the TV. Google will instantly know and track your viewing habits and have a dossier ready for any court, investigator, police or lawyer. They don't notify you as its legal to do in secret, just like GPS tracking.
American technology has gone into the tracking toilet. With nothing better to do, we are feeding off each other, while the price of manufactures goods is goes thru the roof. Have you seen the price increases of goods from China (now that we are hooked)?
The devil himself could not have executed this plan any better.
A htpc defeats them all in one swoop.
---
X-rite, probably the largest maker display color calibration, released sub-standard or defective products in the past. I could not recommend them. Now, however even the calibrators here recognize the brilliance, price and accuracy of the i3 Display Pro 3 meter and free x-rite software. It the real deal for those who want the freedom, power and convenience of a htpc.
I authored a thread on reducing equipment clutter over in the htpc forum.

OK...I guess.
And you felt the need to include the X-rite pitch AGAIN because? Take it to the calibration forum.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:00 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManWithAPlan View Post

Just wanted to make a quick note that the IR codes appear to be the same as the KRP-500m, which are really the same as the old 101FD or 141FD. This should allow for direct access to specific Inputs instead of simply toggling through all the inputs. This is critical for those of us with Universal Remote or Harmony, etc. with "activities" like "Watch 3D Blu-Ray" which goes off and does 63 things to various components, one of which is to switch the TV to the correct Input if necessary.

For those with Universal Remote devices, I just checked the latest version of the IR database, and though the KRP-500m is not listed anywhere there, the 101FD and 141FD are, and those will likely work just fine, at least according to the KRP-500m FAQ's. The KRP-500m just had fewer Inputs, so the extras from the 141FD could just be ignored of course.

Hope this helps somebody. I'm still waiting for my Elite, so I have no way to test yet for sure. Arriving soon, but the waiting is killing me

-Brian

True but you still have to learn to power toggle button if running through a harmoney one.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManWithAPlan View Post

Just wanted to make a quick note that the IR codes appear to be the same as the KRP-500m, which are really the same as the old 101FD or 141FD. This should allow for direct access to specific Inputs instead of simply toggling through all the inputs. This is critical for those of us with Universal Remote or Harmony, etc. with "activities" like "Watch 3D Blu-Ray" which goes off and does 63 things to various components, one of which is to switch the TV to the correct Input if necessary.

For those with Universal Remote devices, I just checked the latest version of the IR database, and though the KRP-500m is not listed anywhere there, the 101FD and 141FD are, and those will likely work just fine, at least according to the KRP-500m FAQ's. The KRP-500m just had fewer Inputs, so the extras from the 141FD could just be ignored of course.

Hope this helps somebody. I'm still waiting for my Elite, so I have no way to test yet for sure. Arriving soon, but the waiting is killing me

-Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post

Just saw the 70" in person for the first time. While the black level, high brightness, detail and colors were all state of the art, something was just not to my liking. They were playing Avatar so I don't know if it was just that movie or not. I tried thx mode and fluid motion off and it still just seemed a little weird. Not sure how to explain it, but I think I will look at another tv for me. Again I think for people who like it, it is truly amazing! Just not for me, unless there are some other settings that might change my mind.

It only gets better . When I saw it in the store I was the same way...eh ...looks OK...blah blah...THen after about a week now (bought on 9/11) It is REALLY starting to impress as far as PQ goes.

Especially white uniformity. As mentione by another member.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrout View Post

I know some of you will think/say thats what I get for ordering it online, but I've bought many TV's and really just about everything online for the last decade with almost no problems (except for a dishwasher I bought years ago that came damaged 6x in a row - I finally bought it locally).

Local stores damage tv's too if you search enough in these threads. Happens to everyone. The more money a person spends, the more a person can save online.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Local stores damage tv's too if you search enough in these threads. Happens to everyone. The more money a person spends, the more a person can save online.

Amen
Old 09-17-2011, 04:23 PM

BB, Sams Costco...

All support the "Buyers Remorse" return policy.

Online will only Return if there is a legit problem with the TV.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:34 PM

Without really talking price where is everyone buying this TV? Mostly BB or are there any good on line elite dealers.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakinsdad View Post

BB, Sams Costco...

I've never heard of anyone having buyers remorse when they buy the best of something.

Its those who try to convince themselves that good enough is good enough, that usually have the remorse.

Now returning something after realizing they could not afford it in the 1st place is another story.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:05 PM

Liked: 16
First of all, I really appreciate all the feedback on this TV(specially RadTech51 kind enough to post lots of pics and great review). I was up all night reading this thread and bought it today at BB. They had it in stock so I picked it up myself from warehouse. I still have to order stand I want from Restoration Hardware so it will be in the box for awhile(crying). Again I thank everybody who spent to post reviews, explanations and shared idea.
LL

TV Sharp Elite 70X5FD
Oppo-103D
PS3, PS3 Slim, PS4
Apple TV
AVR Pioneer Elite SC-77
Speakers Martin Logan EM ESL, EM C2 center
Still deciding Sat speakers
Old 09-17-2011, 05:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Liked: 1540
Quote:

Even if it's not in fluid motion, there are still a couple of motion settings that can still be too aggressive and create a SOE.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:39 PM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Even if it's not in fluid motion, there are still a couple of motion settings that can still be too aggressive and create a SOE.

Does THX mode automatically turn off those settings?

The set has such incredible contrast that I might just be in shock! I have never seen a T.V. like this!

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, 65VT50
Old 09-17-2011, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You might try viewing a different one, perhaps at a different store. Sometimes there is a constant stream of shoppers playing with the settings, day after day. Who knows what might have been tweaked. Obviously no TV is perfect for everyone though.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:

Does THX mode automatically turn off those settings?

The set has such incredible contrast that I might just be in shock! I have never seen a T.V. like this!

no...you decide..

motion enhancement options
120hzlow
120high (soe slightly noticeable)
or fluid motion (soe)

film mode

adv high/low
std

as ken stated another possible (soe) scenario = adv high will kick soe in as well.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
Old 09-17-2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:

It sounds like you didn't have the 3d glasses on.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:

As do online stores. It goes both ways.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:32 PM

Ken / Please post your settings/ you had stated you like movie mode for its mirroring "pure" on the Kuro line.

Give me your Movie settings. PLEASE!
Old 09-17-2011, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Agreed, damage can happen to anyone. The difference buying locally though or a someone like an Costco, BBY etc is the return exchange policy. If you get a lemon, they just exchange it where as buyng online you get stuck dealing with the manufacturer. If something blows up in the first 45 days, I like the fact I don't have to stay stuck with what is for all intents and purposes a refurbished product, especially one as expensive as this.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakinsdad View Post

BB, Sams Costco...

Not if you sign and accept it, then you deal with the mfg.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Purchased a 60" earlier this week, although it won't be delivered until mid-October. I'm actually glad because I'd like to see the results of the shoot-out before-hand anyway. I checked out the 70" today (playing 'X-Men: First Class' at the store) and was quite impressed. To my eyes, THX mode essentially looked like a really good plasma (what I'm used to) and I like that you still have the ability alter the color if you'd like (if you deem it to be a bit too dull). Color-wise, I think I'd prefer a blend between THX and Elite Pure. I liked the 3-D look of Elite Pure but do not like the SOA. I think it would be great if, over time, different users could post the 'look' they are going for and the corresponding settings they are using (example: I would post my settings going for the 'plasma' look while others might like the SOA).
Old 09-17-2011, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
After getting the set, I will also hook up my 360 and PS3 and give my impressions of gaming on the set as well (including playing Killzone 3 and Uncharted 3 in 3D and 2D)...
Old 09-17-2011, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
So far on my 70" I've played Super Stardust HD 3D and God Of War: Origons in 3D on the PS3. I really like what I saw on those and can't wait to try Gears of War 3 and Uncharted 3 in the next couple of weeks.

Elite PRO-70X5FD!

dvdguru

Xbox Live Gamertag: AVS Steve
Old 09-17-2011, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdguru View Post

So far on my 70" I've played Super Stardust HD 3D and God Of War: Origons on the PS3. I really like what I saw on those and can't wait to try Gears of War 3 and Uncharted 3 in the next couple of weeks.

How much crosstalk was there? I have a Sony and it's pretty bad on 3d gaming.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism View Post

Not if you sign and accept it, then you deal with the mfg.

Not Really. I'm looking into the 70" with BBY or MHT as it maybe right now and they said I have a 60day satisfaction guarantee.

Speaking of. Does anyone know if the dimming problem is specific to the 60" size or has anyone seen it on the 70" as well? I just got approval from the wife to buy the 60" and may use the problem to get the 70"

Tags
Sharp Elite Black 70inch Pro 70x5fd Flat Panel 3d Led Hdtv , Sharp Elite Pro 60x5fd 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread