Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 14581 Old 09-18-2011, 10:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Yeah, I'm no fan of Fluidmotion, way too much SOE...but it is smooth, that's for sure.

I don't know why certain colors just don't seem to be reproduced quite right in THX mode and yet in Movie mode they are (both with some tinkering). As a simply example, take a look at the Today show.

The glass block in back of the couches is supposed to be a definite purplish color (check on the Today website). That color shows exactly as the website (yes, on a calibrated computer monitor) depicts it on both my Pioneer Kuros.

However on the Elite in THX mode, no matter how I play with the CMS controls or color temperature, I can not reproduce that color accurately, it appears much more bluish with just a hint of purple. Yet with the Movie mode, no problem, it's a definite purplish hue.

Similarly, in something as simple as my Verizon FIOS TV guide, there are a number of distinct colors depicting different genres of programming. In THX mode the colors are distinctly different than both my Kuros. Again, in Movie mode, they are MUCH closer to the ISF'd Kuro's depiction after some adjustments.

Now perhaps a full ISF calibration would correct the THX mode, but early pre-release reports indicated that THX mode was the most accurate. Using my eyes, that's not what I'm seeing.

I might have to agree with you in regards to Movie mode vs Pure/THX mode, went to BB today to take a look, they had Tron Legacy BD playing(great black levels btw but Pure/THX mode was a little too bluish compared to Movie mode, I asked them to put a movie in with more daytime scenes so they put in X-Men First Class BD and to me Movie mode looked better than Pure/THX mode when it came to color accuracy and skin tones, the Magnolia rep told me that Movie mode turns on the Y pixel and THX mode turns it off, is this a correct statement?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 14581 Old 09-18-2011, 11:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by armada10 View Post

... the Magnolia rep told me that Movie mode turns on the Y pixel and THX mode turns it off, is this a correct statement?

No, that's not correct.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #723 of 14581 Old 09-19-2011, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Why can't I find this on Pioneer's website? Have any Canadians seen these and where?
post #724 of 14581 Old 09-19-2011, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandM View Post

Why can't I find this on Pioneer's website? Have any Canadians seen these and where?

http://www.elitelcdtv.com
post #725 of 14581 Old 09-19-2011, 02:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumlad View Post

Did that shootout ever occur? I was thinking it was supposed to be on the 16th... Any idea when the results will be in?

This thread is following:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post20940206

Quote:
Originally Posted by czhang76 View Post

I actually have a question regarding the refreshing rate of the new Sharps and Elites.

For none 3D, isn't 120Hz sufficient to accomodate both 24Hz and 60Hz without requiring any odd pull downs (3:2 pull down for instance)? for 3D I guess one needs native 240Hz, (120Hz for each eye).

For film showing, my understanding is that they do 24 Hz, while a shutter actually blocks the light in between frames, i.e. it is 24Hz with strobbing. Our brains fill in the image during the black out and "interpolate" to form a "illusion" of smooth motion.

If one extrapolate on the film case, in none 3D case, wouldn't a 120Hz with back light strobbing be the perfect solution? I mean:

1. 120Hz to show 24/30/60Hz with no odd pull downs.
2. For every "repeated" frame, software interpolates (in 24Hz source case, 4 intermediate frames) to connect to the next "new frame" smoothly.
3. a period of "black out" acomplished by a strobing backlight, to allow the brain to fill in the gap in between frames. (the backlight would be cycling between bright and dark also at 120Hz. bright for 1/240 second, starting the moment a frame(new or interpolated) is displayed, then dark for 1/240 second, after which the next frame is displayed and the back light turn bright a gain. for 3D, the process needs to be accelerated to be 240Hz displaying and strobing.

This is a short and comprehensive thread that I always refer people to when they want to know about Hz:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post19373533
post #726 of 14581 Old 09-19-2011, 03:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by armada10 View Post

I might have to agree with you in regards to Movie mode vs Pure/THX mode, went to BB today to take a look, they had Tron Legacy BD playing(great black levels btw but Pure/THX mode was a little too bluish compared to Movie mode, I asked them to put a movie in with more daytime scenes so they put in X-Men First Class BD and to me Movie mode looked better than Pure/THX mode when it came to color accuracy and skin tones, the Magnolia rep told me that Movie mode turns on the Y pixel and THX mode turns it off, is this a correct statement?

It appears the yellow sub pixels are on regardless of the picture mode. Early pre-release reports indicated that THX mode turned the yellow pixels off, but that was not the case.
post #727 of 14581 Old 09-19-2011, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc; View Post

How many settings need to be off?
Does THX mode default to all motion settings off?
Anyone know a specialty dealer around metro Atlanta carrying these?

I do not own a Sharp so i don't know. Check out (and read about) each setting, see what it does
post #728 of 14581 Old 09-19-2011, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross

It appears the yellow sub pixels are on regardless of the picture mode. Early pre-release reports indicated that THX mode turned the yellow pixels off, but that was not the case.
Yes, we can verify that the yellow subpixels are active in every picture mode, having whipped out a spare one of Sharp's own magnifying lens used on their Quattron display to highlight the yellow subpixel and put it to the screen and toggled from THX3D, to THX, to Elite Pure.

The yellow subpixel was very evident in brighter spots on the screen.

post #729 of 14581 Old 09-19-2011, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 330
My 60X5 is shipping to me today

does anyone have a link to RS232 codes to control the Sharp?

TIA
post #730 of 14581 Old 09-19-2011, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandM
lol, It's a Sharp tv. That and I doubt its even on either website of the two. Pretty sure it has its own.
post #731 of 14581 Old 09-19-2011, 09:27 AM

Does this TV come with a stand?
post #732 of 14581 Old 09-19-2011, 09:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

TIA

Mark, you may want to see if the Kuro codes work. My Kuro remote actually works with my Elite. I'm not sure how that translates to the RS232 codes.
post #733 of 14581 Old 09-19-2011, 09:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMarat View Post

Does this TV come with a stand?

Yes.
post #734 of 14581 Old 09-19-2011, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Wooohoooo! The long wait is almost over! My 70inch Elite is being delivered by VE tomorrow evening, can't wait! Ed Johnson has completely calibrated both ISF-Day and ISF-Night modes for me and she's ready for her in-house debut! The hardest part will be getting the Qualia outta here, but there's a plan for that :-) Kinda psyched...gonna be hard to sleep tonight!

-Brian
post #735 of 14581 Old 09-19-2011, 09:40 AM

Hello - would anyone have some ideas or suggestions regarding Sharp Elite retailers in Toronto or the GTA (GTA = Greater Toronto Area)?

Thanks,
JD
post #736 of 14581 Old 09-19-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManWithAPlan View Post

Wooohoooo! The long wait is almost over! My 70inch Elite is being delivered by VE tomorrow evening, can't wait! Ed Johnson has completely calibrated both ISF-Day and ISF-Night modes for me and she's ready for her in-house debut! The hardest part will be getting the Qualia outta here, but there's a plan for that :-) Kinda psyched...gonna be hard to sleep tonight!

-Brian

Holy Crap! That is $21,000 on TVs in the last 5 years. What recession, huh?
Congrats on the purchase of your Kuro/Qualia Killer Please post pics if you can, as I don't think anyone with an ISF calibrated set has already.
post #737 of 14581 Old 09-19-2011, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycore View Post

Holy Crap! That is $21,000 on TVs in the last 5 years. What recession, huh?
Congrats on the purchase of your Kuro/Qualia Killer Please post pics if you can, as I don't think anyone with an ISF calibrated set has already.

HA! Too funny - that's not the amount, no, thankfully I have not paid net anywhere near that amount. But thanks for the laugh!

-Brian
post #738 of 14581 Old 09-19-2011, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

Ed Johnson has completely calibrated both ISF-Day and ISF-Night modes for me and she's ready for her in-house debut!

Brian, would you consider posting the ISF calibration reports? I'd love to see how those modes turned out.
Roy
post #739 of 14581 Old 09-19-2011, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmongiovi View Post

Brian, would you consider posting the ISF calibration reports? I'd love to see how those modes turned out.
Roy

Roy, let me see what I get tomorrow from VE with delivery, and then I'll let you know then. I'll be glad to help anywhere I reasonably can.

I'll be experiencing 3D for the first time ever in a home theater. I'm embarrassed to say I don't own a single 3D BluRay. But with the Oppo 95 in-house now, I need to know what's good on 3D to test with. I assume Avatar would be ideal, but any others that folks recommend?

Thanks.
post #740 of 14581 Old 09-19-2011, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_alpha View Post

Hello - would anyone have some ideas or suggestions regarding Sharp Elite retailers in Toronto or the GTA (GTA = Greater Toronto Area)?

Thanks,
JD

I don't think I've seen any info about this brand coming to Canada yet. I guess what has happened is that while Sharp Canada was preparing the Canadian launch (the preparation usually consists of only one thing - figuring out how much between 20 and 30% surcharge over the US MSRP to slap Canadians with) the 70'' model ended up costing 5 digits. Then they looked at how the rest of the Sharp TVs are selling in Canada, and said, "Oh, why bother!".
post #741 of 14581 Old 09-19-2011, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditcho View Post

I don't think I've seen any info about this brand coming to Canada yet. I guess what has happened is that while Sharp Canada was preparing the Canadian launch (the preparation usually consists of only one thing - figuring out how much between 20 and 30% surcharge over the US MSRP to slap Canadians with) the 70'' model ended up costing 5 digits. Then they looked at how the rest of the Sharp TVs are selling in Canada, and said, "Oh, why bother!".

I think you're gonna be fine in Canada, as long as you don't mind paying for the privilege :-) They registered a Canadian domain for it, they have a French-language web site configured optionally for it. I'd say they want that market. Now, how much/when/where, I have no idea...I don't speak Canadian...but here's the Canadian site:

http://elitelcdtv.ca
post #742 of 14581 Old 09-19-2011, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross; View Post

Kevin Miller calibrated (and reviewed) a pre-production Elite Pro in which - according to Kevin - yellow sub-pixel was turned off in THX mode. This is the one and only Elite Pro in which the yellow sub-pixel was turned off.
post #743 of 14581 Old 09-19-2011, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin; View Post

TIA

Thats a surprise. Is it gonna be you main TV?
post #744 of 14581 Old 09-19-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:

I think you're gonna be fine in Canada, as long as you don't mind paying for the privilege :-) They registered a Canadian domain for it, they have a French-language web site configured optionally for it. I'd say they want that market. Now, how much/when/where, I have no idea...I don't speak Canadian...but here's the Canadian site:

http://elitelcdtv.ca

Thanks - just tried the link. The "Find An Elite Retailer" link listed 4 stores for Toronto: Kromer Radio, Brentview Electronics, Altronics Stereo 2000, Toronto Home of Audiophile

Anyone here ever dealt with any of these retailers? Would you buy one of the Elite TVs from any of them? Any chance other retailers in Toronto than these will actually be able to sell the TVs, you think?

Thanks Again,
JD
post #745 of 14581 Old 09-19-2011, 11:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

Kevin Miller calibrated (and reviewed) a pre-production Elite Pro in which - according to Kevin - yellow sub-pixel was turned off in THX mode. This is the one and only Elite Pro in which the yellow sub-pixel was turned off.

I believe even Sharp reps have now stated the yellows are on in all modes. In fact I took a magnifying glass myself and can clearly see the yellow subs glowing away in THX mode during brighter scenes.
post #746 of 14581 Old 09-19-2011, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

I believe even Sharp reps have now stated the yellows are on in all modes. In fact I took a magnifying glass myself and can clearly see the yellow subs glowing away in THX mode during brighter scenes.

Sounds like we really need to see a calibration report from a true production model. This is a lot of cash to drop on brand new technology without some real numbers.
Roy
post #747 of 14581 Old 09-19-2011, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
I don't care what the number say. This thing is a beast. In less then 24 hours. It will be all mine! Mauhahahahaha.
post #748 of 14581 Old 09-19-2011, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

I don't care what the number say. This thing is a beast. In less then 24 hours. It will be all mine! Mauhahahahaha.

My thoughts exactly! 26 hours til delivery of my new precious!
post #749 of 14581 Old 09-19-2011, 12:28 PM

Do you guys see the pricing coming down at all? Currently have a 60 KURO and need a 70 in my life. I ask because I don't remember the Pioneer dropping the ELITE prices much if any.

PRO-60X5FD
PRO-70X5FD
post #750 of 14581 Old 09-19-2011, 12:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmongiovi View Post

Sounds like we really need to see a calibration report from a true production model. This is a lot of cash to drop on brand new technology without some real numbers.
Roy

We don't need to see a calibration report to know if the yellow pixel is on, we know it's own two ways:

1) People have seen it's on.

2) It has to be on. You would lose nearly one fourth of the brightness and you would lose one fourth of the pixel fill if it was off. It would honestly look terrible.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Elite Black 70inch Pro 70x5fd Flat Panel 3d Led Hdtv , Sharp Elite Pro 60x5fd 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 70x5fd by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page