post #7501 of 14595 Old 03-15-2012, 02:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

So, I'm actually of that mindset. I'd like to buy a 5-year TV and then buy a 75" OLED (or whatever size they let me have of >=65") in 2017 or so. I'm just not 100% sure that's happening.

I'm struggling to understand if there are current issues. Some people are whining about something on the 65s that I don't really understand concerning "sharpness". They seem plenty sharp to me....

the main issues I keep reading about the HX929 series is 1) blooming and 2) 'creasing'

the crease issue is a column of slightly darker pixels running along the left or right edge of the screen...as with any 'issue' some people find it to be a huge defect while others barely notice it...even the Cnet Katzmaier review mentions the crease...he didn't notice it in his initial review until someone mentioned it to him...he then updated his review to reflect this 'issue' which he didn't consider to be a big deal (he even has a quick video shot of the 'crease' in his review)

back to the Elite...I'm seriously giving thought to buying an Elite 1.0 mainly because even though the Elite 2.0 should be much improved, the initial cost will definitely be even higher then the initial cost of the current Elite's (addition of 4K etc)...so to wait for any sort of price stabilization will probably take another 6-8 months after release...so March 2013 at the earliest...too much waiting for me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7502 of 14595 Old 03-15-2012, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
One potential problem with a rumored 4k elite is that, due to hdmi 1.4, even the best video cards on the market for HTPC and gaming are limited to 24hz. I just realized this.

The LG demo was a dual 580x Nvidia at cES with a special 2hdmi input..... That is not production.

Looks like display port 1.3 might have the bandwidth for 69hz but not 3d

So my initial dream of "battlefield 3" in 4k by just buying another video card it out the window until HDMi 1.5 and all new hardware sources
post #7503 of 14595 Old 03-15-2012, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

do LCD's require break-in time like plasmas?...meaning do I need to run slides for 130 or so hours before calibration?...or is that only necessary for plasma sets?
post #7504 of 14595 Old 03-15-2012, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

do LCD's require break-in time like plasmas?...meaning do I need to run slides for 130 or so hours before calibration?...or is that only necessary for plasma sets?

I had the same issue. The answer I got from Robert and several respected calibrators was leave the LCD on for ~100 hours before calibration. May not be necessary but out of the box bugs show up etc. so you don't waste $ on a set that will be returned.
post #7505 of 14595 Old 03-15-2012, 05:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

the main issues I keep reading about the HX929 series is 1) blooming and 2) 'creasing'

the crease issue is as a column of slightly darker pixels running along the left or right edge of the screen...as with any 'issue' some people find it to be a huge defect while others barely notice it...even the Cnet Katzmaier review mentions the crease...he didn't notice it in his initial review until someone mentioned it to him...he then updated his review to reflect this 'issue' which he didn't consider to be a big deal (he even has a quick video shot of the 'crease' in his review)

back to the Elite...I'm seriously giving thought to buying an Elite 1.0 mainly because even though the Elite 2.0 should be much improved, the initial cost will definitely be even higher then the initial cost of the current Elite's (addition of 4K etc)...so to wait for any sort of price stabilization will probably take another 6-8 months after release...so March 2013 at the earliest...too much waiting for me

I have a 929 and have not noticed any creasing or blooming, its an excellent tv.
post #7506 of 14595 Old 03-15-2012, 07:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

The Quick answer is NO. I would however Run the unit in for a 100 hrs of normal viewing just to make sure if anything in the way of power supplies, Video Boards, and others, that needed attention by warranty. Just need to make sure you don't pay for a calibration and then have to exchange the set due to a Faulty Component.
Don't want to pay for the calibration Twice.
In short the Display is under warranty the Calibration is NOT.

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

post #7507 of 14595 Old 03-15-2012, 09:26 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pannus View Post

There will be no fix for cyan or pulsing issues.

I am not as sure if that, as I am that there will be no new Elite!
post #7508 of 14595 Old 03-15-2012, 10:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 590
Quote:

By all accounts, current purchases are crease free. Blooming is a real issue on the Sony, especially off axis, but on limited content.
Quote:

Yeah, I hear you. It's definitely something to consider. And since we have good dealer options nationally (including a forum sponsor) as well as options locally, it's certainly a viable choice. I mean it is the best flat-panel TV built to date. Let's not lose sight of that.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #7509 of 14595 Old 03-15-2012, 07:50 PM

Liked: 10
More trouble at Sharp as they replace the company president
http://news.yahoo.com/japans-sharp-r...061715997.html
post #7510 of 14595 Old 03-15-2012, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 427
if changing company president is considered as "trouble" then Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, LG, etc are all in trouble

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #7511 of 14595 Old 03-15-2012, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Japanese company's LOVE trouble

^^current Sharp president Mikio Katayama shakes hand with new president Takashi Okuda (R)
post #7512 of 14595 Old 03-15-2012, 10:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

if changing company president is considered as "trouble" then Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, LG, etc are all in trouble

The TV division of all of them is in trouble. None but Samsung is a strong company right now (Samsung is doing great in mobile phones and components); LG is weak, but not Panasonic/Sony/Sharp weak.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #7513 of 14595 Old 03-16-2012, 12:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

The TV division of all of them is in trouble. None but Samsung is a strong company right now (Samsung is doing great in mobile phones and components); LG is weak, but not Panasonic/Sony/Sharp weak.

It's a cycle. When Panasonic/Sony/Sharp/Pioneer TVs became strong, RCA/Zenith/Magnavox/etc TVswent belly up.
post #7514 of 14595 Old 03-16-2012, 03:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

it's definitely not a good sign...record losses is never a good thing...one has to wonder how this will affect future products...hopefully the cancellation of the 945 is not a sign of things to come

it still baffles me how Sharp can continue with the Sharp line and make an Elite 2.0...in this economy with record losses you're telling me they're going to come out with an even more ridiculously expensive TV and expect to sell them in decent numbers?...I highly doubt the Elite 1.0 is selling that well...that's why the 945 was critical for them...you're never going to make a profit by only selling to the super high end market...you need a mainstream product

I know all the insiders and rumors have the Elite 2.0 coming out in the Fall but I've said for months that I think the Elite 1.0 will be the only 'Elite' product that comes to market...we'll see
post #7515 of 14595 Old 03-16-2012, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Do any of you see the pulse when watching through a PS3?

Btw I got the 3D version of Hugo as a gift and watched it last night....wow.....Avatar has a new competitor for 3D reference material
post #7516 of 14595 Old 03-16-2012, 06:37 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

Do any of you see the pulse when watching through a PS3?

Yes. I noticed it while playing Skyrim as well as test video clips.
post #7517 of 14595 Old 03-16-2012, 06:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

My Wife is a School Teacher and for some reason, the other teachers think I know something about HD Displays. I some how get alot of Questions from people about to purchase a HD Display.
It always the same conversation, over and over again.
What's the Best HD Display for around $1200.00.
Now you know this has nothing to do with suggested retail, with Sales, Deals, and Bartering.
I'm just telling you that the Number for the General Public in my Area seem's to be:
$1200.00

post #7518 of 14595 Old 03-16-2012, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post

My Wife is a School Teacher and for some reason, the other teachers think I know something about HD Displays. I some how get alot of Questions from people about to purchase a HD Display.
It always the same conversation, over and over again.
What's the Best HD Display for around $1200.00.
Now you know this has nothing to do with suggested retail, with Sales, Deals, and Bartering.
I'm just telling you that the Number for the General Public in my Area seem's to be:
$1200.00

Im not sure what your saying but is this a statement that most of the general.public expects to pay $1200 and that the elite is out of the realm of most?
post #7519 of 14595 Old 03-16-2012, 07:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

It's a statement that I believe, If a manufacture wants to sell a lot of TV's He needs to get the General Consumer Out the Door at $1200.00. I think there is one Hell of a Market for a manufacture producing a Nice Display that put's everything in the $1200.00 range too shame. This would be good for the Videophile market such as Us, in that they could still produce a Top Display for Us, and make Money. The Elite is not Out of the realm for some consumers. It's they just choose, not to spend their Fun Money on It.
We are not going to carry a manufacture, with our taste for a High End Display. There's Just not enough of Us.

post #7520 of 14595 Old 03-16-2012, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post

It's a statement that I believe, If a manufacture wants to sell a lot of TV's He needs to get the General Consumer Out the Door at $1200.00. I think there is one Hell of a Market for a manufacture producing a Nice Display that put's everything in the $1200.00 range too shame. This would be good for the Videophile market such as Us, in that they could still produce a Top Display for Us, and make Money. The Elite is not Out of the realm for some consumers. It's they just choose, not to spend their Fun Money on It.
We are not going to carry a manufacture, with our taste for a High End Display. There's Just not enough of Us.

I would have to completely disagree. Fun money is rare these days and 95% of the consumers cant afford an $8000 tv. At 1200 the margins are not great enough to pack in technology to make a reference tv.

Perhaps this type of conversation is best suited for a different thread
post #7521 of 14595 Old 03-16-2012, 07:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I would have to completely disagree. Fun money is rare these days and 95% of the consumers cant afford an $8000 tv. At 1200 the margins are not great enough to pack in technology to make a reference tv.

Perhaps this type of conversation is best suited for a different thread

Okay Then.

post #7522 of 14595 Old 03-16-2012, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:

Perhaps true, but adhering to the rec.709 standard for white point and color decoding shouldn't be that difficult and is 90% of "reference". Good blacks are important, but if you can't get the basics correct what's the point?
post #7523 of 14595 Old 03-16-2012, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post

I had the same issue. The answer I got from Robert and several respected calibrators was leave the LCD on for ~100 hours before calibration. May not be necessary but out of the box bugs show up etc. so you don't waste $ on a set that will be returned.

This brings up an interesting point - one that so far hasn't been discussed (at least not that I've noticed). It seems that for potential buyers of the X5FD, as long as they can accept the cyan issue (or lack thereof), ordering from VE and having Kevin Miller calibrate it before delivery is a solution to the pulsing problem. If anyone can see it, wouldn't he be the ideal person to look out for it? And if it is present on that set, he just wouldn't ship it out? Am I missing something?
post #7524 of 14595 Old 03-16-2012, 08:59 AM

Liked: 10
SUZOOK, I'm still debating to get the Elite. Since you have both the 80" and the Elite how would you rate both in terms of pic quality on a scale 1 thru 10?
post #7525 of 14595 Old 03-16-2012, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

ns88

Well you have to realize you are comparing apples to oranges on a number of levels.

For the best blacks out there and reference viewing, the Elite win hands down.

However the Elite is almost 3 grand more plus it has a tech challenge right now that may or may not be solved (pulsing due to a local dimming bug)

The 80 once properly dialed in is in no way a slouch either.

So if its size, value and good pq. The 80 is the champ.

If its reference pq and the best out there (outside of the obvious issue which we hope is resolved soon) the Elite is the best tv out there forgetting price
post #7526 of 14595 Old 03-16-2012, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Was at best buy this morning picking up an iPad 3 (almost no line in downtown Chicago)

Anyway magnolia manager was adamant, based on floor area allocation and the sharp rep he just made agreement with for space, 80" north of 10k Elite was coming for fall or "Christmas time". Was also told the branding would be elite but include sharp somehow. He had no news on a new 70" but felt confident not to sell me a 80"847.

He seemed quite knowledgable and promised me he could have a "good" bb calibrator do my set. I asked "good"? He said "well let's just say more experienced as everyone is good, and rolled his eyes. I was impressed the level of detail and understanding. I felt like he was as knowledgeable as some people on his forum!

Well, still rumor. But begging me not to pre order a 80"847 (great price) made me think at least sharp is telling magnolia they are confident
post #7527 of 14595 Old 03-16-2012, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchmura View Post

Was at best buy this morning picking up an iPad 3 (almost no line in downtown Chicago)

Anyway magnolia manager was adamant, based on floor area allocation and the sharp rep he just made agreement with for space, 80" north of 10k Elite was coming for fall or "Christmas time". Was also told the branding would be elite but include sharp somehow. He had no news on a new 70" but felt confident not to sell me a 80"847.

He seemed quite knowledgable and promised me he could have a "good" bb calibrator do my set. I asked "good"? He said "well let's just say more experienced as everyone is good, and rolled his eyes. I was impressed the level of detail and understanding. I felt like he was as knowledgeable as some people on his forum!

Well, still rumor. But begging me not to pre order a 80"847 (great price) made me think at least sharp is telling magnolia they are confident

80 inch 847??? The 844 you mean
post #7528 of 14595 Old 03-16-2012, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

80 inch 847??? The 844 you mean

Wouldnt be odd that the manager is making agreements for floor space. I would think thats done on a corporate.level
post #7529 of 14595 Old 03-16-2012, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The 80 once properly dialed in is in no way a slouch either

80" of which TV?
post #7530 of 14595 Old 03-16-2012, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Mother View Post

This brings up an interesting point - one that so far hasn't been discussed (at least not that I've noticed). It seems that for potential buyers of the X5FD, as long as they can accept the cyan issue (or lack thereof), ordering from VE and having Kevin Miller calibrate it before delivery is a solution to the pulsing problem. If anyone can see it, wouldn't he be the ideal person to look out for it? And if it is present on that set, he just wouldn't ship it out? Am I missing something?

Calibrating has nothing to do with the pulsing / flashing. Some people see it, some don't, some don't see it in THX & ISF modes but do in other modes, but if you do you'll see it regardless of calibration.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Elite Black 70inch Pro 70x5fd Flat Panel 3d Led Hdtv , Sharp Elite Pro 60x5fd 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 70x5fd by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page