post #8221 of 14556 Old 04-17-2012, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_alpha View Post

Hi All - hoping for some opinions/suggestions for movie streaming, primarily through Netflix, which I understand only recently went live in Canada. I've never streamed - total NOOB! -movie content off the internet before (up to now, I've preferred to rent blu-rays, but our last major rental chain in Canada has just closed up shop).

I've got a 70" Elite TV, Elite SC-57 AVR, Oppo 95 blu-ray, and a PS3. The TV, Oppo, and PS3 are all currently internet connected through wi-fi. What would be the ideal way to stream content from Netflix from a quality perspective with this set up? Would it be a pain to configure and utilize on an on-going basis? What are all the feasible options? Any special Canadian considerations? Know of any good information sources for Netflix/streaming on the web?

Thanks in Advance,
JD

A hardline is preferable to Wi-Fi for speed in downloading content.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8222 of 14556 Old 04-17-2012, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmlot93 View Post

Has anyone here went from a Sony 65hx929 to a Elite, or seen them side by side? I am on my third Sony 929 and I am about ready to throw in the towel and just get a Elite 70. I went and looked at one last night and it looked pretty nice - I just don't want to regret my decision.

Those that know me, know I have been an avid Sony fan and customer for the past 30+ years. I was shopping for a new TV to replace my aging Sony KDS-R70XBR2. I was struggling over purchasing the Sony XBR65HX929 or the Elite. I normally wouldn't even consider anything else except for another Sony, but it pains me to say that Sony's reputation for high quality, cutting edge, well built, ahead of it's time TVs, has been declining steadily (in my opinion) the past few years. When I viewed and tinkered with both sets a my local Best Buy, I was just drawn more to the Elite's piture quality. My family and friends were shocked that I purchased the Sharp Elite instead of a Sony, but now after two months of viewing, they all are very impressed with the Elite.
post #8223 of 14556 Old 04-17-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwing2001 View Post

Those that know me, know I have been an avid Sony fan and customer for the past 30+ years. I was shopping for a new TV to replace my aging Sony KDS-R70XBR2. I was struggling over purchasing the Sony XBR65HX929 or the Elite. I normally wouldn't even consider anything else except for another Sony, but it pains me to say that Sony's reputation for high quality, cutting edge, well built, ahead of it's time TVs, has been declining steadily (in my opinion) the past few years. When I viewed and tinkered with both sets a my local Best Buy, I was just drawn more to the Elite's piture quality. My family and friends were shocked that I purchased the Sharp Elite instead of a Sony, but now after two months of viewing, they all are very impressed with the Elite.

I was in the same boat. I have had a Sony in my house for 25 plus years, going back to my family's first Trinitron which had the then state-of-the-art feature of being in stereo. My most recent was the XBR4, which despite its blooming and clouding still provides an excellent picture. But no more. The Elite was far and away a better option. Sadly Sony wasn't even second on the list. Can't wait for the install next Monday.
post #8224 of 14556 Old 04-17-2012, 12:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmlot93 View Post

Has anyone here went from a Sony 65hx929 to a Elite, or seen them side by side? I am on my third Sony 929 and I am about ready to throw in the towel and just get a Elite 70. I went and looked at one last night and it looked pretty nice - I just don't want to regret my decision.

Yup, as Suzook said I did own the 929, but the 55" version. I returned my 929 due to really bad DSE and the haloing which I grew tired of.

My Elite has none of these issues and an overall superior image.
post #8225 of 14556 Old 04-17-2012, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

with the new pricing policy now in effect, the Elite can be had for a few hundred dollars more while gaining another 5" of viewing pleasure.

What is that? The "new" pricing policy?
post #8226 of 14556 Old 04-17-2012, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Hi All - hoping for some opinions/suggestions for movie streaming, primarily through Netflix, which I understand only recently went live in Canada. I've never streamed - total NOOB! -movie content off the internet before (up to now, I've preferred to rent blu-rays, but our last major rental chain in Canada has just closed up shop).

I've got a 70" Elite TV, Elite SC-57 AVR, Oppo 95 blu-ray, and a PS3. The TV, Oppo, and PS3 are all currently internet connected through wi-fi. What would be the ideal way to stream content from Netflix from a quality perspective with this set up? Would it be a pain to configure and utilize on an on-going basis? What are all the feasible options? Any special Canadian considerations? Know of any good information sources for Netflix/streaming on the web?

Thanks in Advance,
JD

The PS3 is the device you should use for netflix. If possible hard-wire directly. If not as long as you have a good mbps from your provider (15 mbps or higher) you should be fine streaming wirelessly
post #8227 of 14556 Old 04-17-2012, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhan View Post

What is that? The "new" pricing policy?

new pricing structure that Sony and Samsung are implementing. Basically it forces online retailers ie;Amazon to sell at the level the mfg wants. Another words 5500 for a 65hx929 at BB is 5500 at Amazon as well. Where in the past Amazon,and others would be significantly less than MSRP.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #8228 of 14556 Old 04-17-2012, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:

new pricing structure that Sony and Samsung are implementing. Basically it forces online retailers ie;Amazon to sell at the level the mfg wants. Another words 5500 for a 65hx929 at BB is 5500 at Amazon as well. Where in the past Amazon,and others would be significantly less than MSRP.

Wonder how long that will last.....
post #8229 of 14556 Old 04-17-2012, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

Wonder how long that will last.....

I hear ya...if you ask me they are fools for doing this.

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #8230 of 14556 Old 04-17-2012, 07:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 442
I think this time around, it will last a long time. These manufacturers are showing huge losses forcing them to stabilize a market. The Sony prices are high now for sure......
post #8231 of 14556 Old 04-18-2012, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Funny how stuff works out - people were expecting the Elite prices to drop, instead the other prices are going up ...
post #8232 of 14556 Old 04-18-2012, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrussell View Post

Dreaux, you can get sound from your receiver while watching Netflix.

In my case I've got my Elite and a Denon 2112CI. Everything runs through the receiver and then to the Elite. The TV and AVR are connected with a single HDMI cable that supports Audio Return Channel.

You then have to go into System Options -> Link Control and turn Link Control on and then "Audio Return Channel" to Auto.

I now have an HDMI 1.4 cable that supports Audio Return Channel.
I have used the setting you suggest and am not getting the Netflix audio back to my AVR. What input would I have switched up, or is the audio just there despite which input you have selected? In any case I can't get it to work and not sure if I am doing something wrong. I am usiing the same setup as you are, using the AVR as a switcher.

Its a shame since the Netflix on the Elite is sharper than the Netflix on my Roku even though I have it set to 1080p. The new Roku Hd , which I have only works through WiFi and does not have an input for a hard line. So I may be losing PQ because of WiFi instead of a hard line on the Roku....bad design.
I should add that my Receiver is ARC capable.
post #8233 of 14556 Old 04-18-2012, 09:18 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

I have used the setting you suggest and am not getting the Netflix audio back to my AVR. What input would I have switched up, or is the audio just there despite which input you have selected? In any case I can't get it to work and not sure if I am doing something wrong. I am usiing the same setup as you are, using the AVR as a switcher.

Its a shame since the Netflix on the Elite is sharper than the Netflix on my Roku even though I have it set to 1080p. The new Roku Hd , which I have only works through WiFi and does not have an input for a hard line. So I may be losing PQ because of WiFi instead of a hard line on the Roku....bad design.

I don't know about other brands... But I know with my Onkyo I had to go into hdmi settings to enable audio return as well as enabling it on the tv itself....
post #8234 of 14556 Old 04-18-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:

Your Denon 2112ci supports ARC so that's not the problem. I googled "Denon 2112ci enable arc" and on page 9 of the owner's manual it says to turn HDMI Control to ON to support ARC. Maybe that might need to be done. Good luck.
post #8235 of 14556 Old 04-18-2012, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The new pricing structure that Sammy and Sony are putting up will likely drive customers to the elite. Meanwhile, those that might have bought a tv from those two online at the lower price will likely hold off now as it just out the price range they wanted and are now out of budget. I'm fairly certain this will make the best buys happy, but who knows how long BB will be around. Ultimately, I see this costing manufacturers sales in the long run.

Sharp is really becoming the new Sony of the 80's and early 90's where they were a force to be reckoned with. Sony and Sammy are just riding on coat tails and are trying to stay afloat.
post #8236 of 14556 Old 04-18-2012, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey94025 View Post

Your Denon 2112ci supports ARC so that's not the problem. I googled "Denon 2112ci enable arc" and on page 9 of the owner's manual it says to turn HDMI Control to ON to support ARC. Maybe that might need to be done. Good luck.

Yeah I tried turning HDMI control to On, still nothing.
I will keep fiddling and see what works. I have the Yamaha RX A810 and the owners manual does say it supports ARC and I have it set to on.
Thanks for the suggestions. I am selling my Oppo 93 and getting the new Sony Sony BDP-S790 Blu-ray player so I may just use that with a hard line for connection to Netflix.
post #8237 of 14556 Old 04-18-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:

I should add that my Receiver is ARC capable.

I found the manual for your Yamaha RX 810 online at http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset...asset_id=48670

Page 121 has all the info on the receiver end of the setup. Here's a cut and paste of the instructions on that end. Sounds like only the HDMI OUT 1 plug on your receiver handles ARC, so make sure that's the one you're using.

Quote:

This setup is required every time when you add a new HDMI Control-compatible device to your system.
To use HDMI Control, connect the TV to the HDMI OUT 1 jack.
1 Turn on this unit, TV and playback devices.
2 Enable HDMI Control on this unit, TV and playback devices (HDMI
Control-compatible BD/DVD players, etc).
To enable HDMI Control on this unit, set HDMI Control (p.94) in the Setup
menu to On and configure the related items (TV Audio Input, ARC and
Standby Sync).
3 Turn off the main power of the TV and then turn off this unit and
playback devices.
4 Turn on the main power of the TV and then turn on this unit and
playback devices.
5 Switch the TV input to display the video from this unit.
6 Check the followings.
On this unit: The input to which the playback device is connected is selected. If
not, select the input source manually.
On the TV: The video from the playback device is displayed.
7 Check that this unit is properly synchronized with the TV by turning
off the TV or adjusting the TV volume with the TV remote control.
If HDMI Control does not work properly, try unplugging the TV in step 2 and re-plugging the TV in step 3. It
may solve the problem. Also, HDMI Control may not work if the number of connected devices is over the
limit. In this case, disable HDMI Control on the devices not in use.
If the unit is not synchronized to the TV's power operations, check the priority of the audio output setting on
the TV.
We recommend using TV and playback devices from the same manufacturer so that HDMI Control works
more effectively.

post #8238 of 14556 Old 04-18-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:

Thanks in Advance,
JD

I would go with the same setup I use and which dreaux is trying to get set up.

I'd wire the PS3 and Oppo into your receiver, using regular HDMI 1.4 cables assuming you plan to play anything 3D on them.

Between the TV and receiver use a cable which is HDMI 1.4 with ARC. Then go into the Elite and into your receiver's controls and turn on HDMI Control and ARC so the TV can send the sound back.

Then I'd watch Netflix on the TV and let it send sound back to the receiver. If you prefer to watch it via the PS3 you could. I don't because a) I much prefer just using one universal remote and not having to switch over to a PS3 controller to watch Netflix, and b) a PS3's fan is pretty noisy once it has to kick on... since the TV and receiver can provide the same viewing environment without the PS3, not worth the extra noise and the extra power consumption to me for really no additional gain.

As far as hardwired or wifi, I'll defer to others opinions. I have a pretty good internet connection and wifi strength where my TV is, so I just use the wifi and it's been fine. If that wasn't the case I would hardwire it.
post #8239 of 14556 Old 04-18-2012, 10:28 AM

dreaux, also make sure that you're going into the Elite's HDMI 1 input, as it is the only input that supports the return channel.
post #8240 of 14556 Old 04-18-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrussell View Post

dreaux, also make sure that you're going into the Elite's HDMI 1 input, as it is the only input that supports the return channel.

Thanks for you earlier post and this one. You saved me a google search since I can't find my manual.
I will give it another go since I have a little time.....
post #8241 of 14556 Old 04-18-2012, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
Hi all
I have a co-worker who needs a new 60" TV. He has seen my 70" Elite and of course wants a TV with the same PQ.
However, he can't afford the 60" Elite.
I told him he needs to find a TV with Full Array LED back lighting with local dimming, just like the Elite has.
I know he will just ask me to find him one with those features.
Do any of you know of a 60" TV with Full Array LED back lighting and local dimming?
I told him about the Sony 929's and of course the Elite.
His budget is $2500.
What can I recommend to him?
I was going to recommend the Sharp 60LE835U, but I have not seen it nor know if it has LD.
post #8242 of 14556 Old 04-18-2012, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Thanks in Advance,
JD

JD,

I would stream Netflix from the Oppo95. I own the Oppo95 as well, and I notice better quality when streaming from it rather than from the Netflix on the TV itself - that, combined with the fact that you then have to run an optical digital cable back to the receiver from the TV, and in some cases mess with 'virtual inputs' on your receiver for the TV as a source, it can get messy. I don't mind the input stuff, as my Anthem D2V makes it quite easy, but I use the Oppo for Netflix mostly because the quality is slightly better for some reason. But to each his own, YMMV, all that stuff.

Good luck with it.
-Brian
post #8243 of 14556 Old 04-18-2012, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManWithAPlan View Post

JD,

I would stream Netflix from the Oppo95. I own the Oppo95 as well, and I notice better quality when streaming from it rather than from the Netflix on the TV itself - that, combined with the fact that you then have to run an optical digital cable back to the receiver from the TV, and in some cases mess with 'virtual inputs' on your receiver for the TV as a source, it can get messy. I don't mind the input stuff, as my Anthem D2V makes it quite easy, but I use the Oppo for Netflix mostly because the quality is slightly better for some reason. But to each his own, YMMV, all that stuff.

Good luck with it.
-Brian

I could be wrong but doesn't both the Oppo 95 and 93 only do Netflix in 720p? While the Elite does Netflix in 1080p with 5.1 audio.
I know my Elite has a much better picture in Netflix than my Oppo 93.
Are you are using the Elite as your TV?
post #8244 of 14556 Old 04-18-2012, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obxdiver View Post

Hi all
I have a co-worker who needs a new 60" TV. He has seen my 70" Elite and of course wants a TV with the same PQ.
However, he can't afford the 60" Elite.
I told him he needs to find a TV with Full Array LED back lighting with local dimming, just like the Elite has.
I know he will just ask me to find him one with those features.
Do any of you know of a 60" TV with Full Array LED back lighting and local dimming?
I told him about the Sony 929's and of course the Elite.
His budget is $2500.
What can I recommend to him?
I was going to recommend the Sharp 60LE835U, but I have not seen it nor know if it has LD.

it would have to be the 55hx929, although it can't be had for the above price anymore. the 60835 is not a local dimmer.

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #8245 of 14556 Old 04-18-2012, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

I could be wrong but doesn't both the Oppo 95 and 93 only do Netflix in 720p? While the Elite does Netflix in 1080p with 5.1 audio.
I know my Elite has a much better picture in Netflix than my Oppo 93.
Are you are using the Elite as your TV?

I don't think the Elite Netflix App is giving you 1080p. In the link you'll get a list of devices & what resolution they offer

http://www.techofthehub.com/2011/10/...ing-to-my.html
post #8246 of 14556 Old 04-18-2012, 07:35 PM

Hello,
Can somebody direct me to a store where I can get the Elite70 for 6k?
post #8247 of 14556 Old 04-18-2012, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFJ 96 View Post

I don't think the Elite Netflix App is giving you 1080p. In the link you'll get a list of devices & what resolution they offer

Yeah, it may very well be that the Oppo's extremely high quality 720p-to-1080p scaling is what is impressing me here. Keep in mind, it's video scaling is second to none. The Elite may have very good scaling itself, but it is not up to the level of the Oppo for some reason. I send everything to the 70inch Elite as 1080p, either because the source (eg Oppo) is scaling it for me, or the Anthem D2V is scaling it for me. Either way, I never use the Elite's own scaling/deinterlacing. No need to.

-Brian
post #8248 of 14556 Old 04-18-2012, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFJ 96 View Post

Didn't the Elite mentioned on that site, but it could be just me. I know the Elite does give me a better picture than my Oppo and Roku 2 XD. But perhaps its because the Roku and Oppo are WiFi and the Elite has a hard line. Not sure.
post #8249 of 14556 Old 04-19-2012, 02:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
Quote:

it would have to be the 55hx929, although it can't be had for the above price anymore. the 60835 is not a local dimmer.

OK thanks
post #8250 of 14556 Old 04-19-2012, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Didn't the Elite mentioned on that site, but it could be just me. I know the Elite does give me a better picture than my Oppo and Roku 2 XD. But perhaps its because the Roku and Oppo are WiFi and the Elite has a hard line. Not sure.

that's surprising I have a Roku XS and the 1080p streams from Netflix are noticeable better looking than any 720p netflix device that I've seen. The only way the elite would look better would be if it was getting the 1080p streams as well. I wouldn't think the upscaling of 720p by any device can make it look like 1080p, even the Oppo. I have had Gennum and Realta HQV scalers in my rig over the years and not once did I think that 720p scaled to 1080p looked better than native 1080p.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Elite Black 70inch Pro 70x5fd Flat Panel 3d Led Hdtv , Sharp Elite Pro 60x5fd 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page