Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

How do you like the unit?

out of the box settings the Elite does not look so good: colors and brightness overblown: I had a twinge of buyers remorse

But Ken came to the rescue and gave me some settings to try: it looks much better now and I am happy (I still have a lot of tweaking to do)

This can be likened to the Kuro before the ISF mode was unlocked by Kevin Miller: different issues of course: both the Elite plasma and LCD require a lot of adjusting before you can really appreciate them [and both should have ISF calibration]

as to the serial codes, I will try the standard Sharp LCD codes next: not a big deal as I can always use IR to control

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 14597 Old 09-21-2011, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdguru View Post

I was playing it earlier on my 70" and about puked lol I still need to get used to the size and motion, etc. I didn't know what input lag was before but I do now. BUT, I was using elite pure, thx movie modes, etc. I tried game mode and it's definitely gone and will try another hour in that mode but I can aim better at least. I heard the 3D on the game was garbage so I haven't tried it yet.

Edit: Ok, fixed and no more lag under Game Mode. I also had to move the controller sensivity WAY DOWN to around -5 in the options. At the default sensitivity I was getting sick as you could do a 360 in half a second. Everything was just a blur but with the sensitivity set right it's much more "fluid".

How far away are you sitting?
post #813 of 14597 Old 09-21-2011, 08:44 AM

I received my 70 inch this pas sat.,i dont know if this is the same problem some others r having,but it seems my picture is getting lighter and darker on its own im basically watching in elite pure mode,also i c some blinking in the picture not sure if this is what is call flickering,,i have to leave for work now so if i dont respond i will tonite when i get home,but any help will be appreciated thank u
post #814 of 14597 Old 09-21-2011, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiff69 View Post

How far away are you sitting?

I'm at 12.5 feet

Elite PRO-70X5FD!

dvdguru

Xbox Live Gamertag: AVS Steve
post #815 of 14597 Old 09-21-2011, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Thanks for the info on using Local Dimming in Game Mode. I'll try that tonight as I thought the picture was a little cloudy as well during gameplay.

Elite PRO-70X5FD!

dvdguru

Xbox Live Gamertag: AVS Steve
post #816 of 14597 Old 09-21-2011, 10:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Well some of the calibrators are starting to do some work on these and it looks like I'm just going to have to get one. They are being low keyed in there observations, but you can tell they can't seem to hold back. This Display must be something. I think it's the real deal.

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

post #817 of 14597 Old 09-21-2011, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post

Well some of the calibrators are starting to do some work on these and it looks like I'm just going to have to get one. They are being low keyed in there observations, but you can tell they can't seem to hold back. This Display must be something. I think it's the real deal.

Still waiting to see a detailed report. It better be the real deal and then some at about 6 times the price of a Panny 60 S-30 plasma at Costco this week. I'm sure it's better..not so sure about 6 times though..lol Plus you can get a FIVE year Warranty for only another hundred bucks! I'm shocked a 60 inch set is this cheap! One thing we can count on...the prices on these WILL be falling eventually when other decent 60 inch sets are selling for a grand. I could afford the Elite, but I have a hard time justifying such a massive price difference unless it's way BETTER than my Kuro could ever hope to be.
post #818 of 14597 Old 09-21-2011, 12:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBuck View Post

Still waiting to see a detailed report. It better be the real deal and then some at about 6 times the price of a Panny 60 S-30 plasma at Costco this week. I'm sure it's better..not so sure about 6 times though..lol Plus you can get a FIVE year Warranty for only another hundred bucks! I'm shocked a 60 inch set is this cheap! One thing we can count on...the prices on these WILL be falling eventually when other decent 60 inch sets are selling for a grand. I could afford the Elite, but I have a hard time justifying such a massive price difference unless it's way BETTER than my Kuro could ever hope to be.

Yes Sir Alan, I agree with all your saying. I own a Pioneer pro150 Fd myself. I also fly coach most of the time. But, When I want something and I want the best there is in a Large size, I just step up and pay the price and go ahead and enjoy it, that's what I go to work for everyday.
Just a Different Opinion.
P.S. No Stimulus Dollars were used in this Opinion.

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

post #819 of 14597 Old 09-21-2011, 01:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

out of the box settings the Elite does not look so good: colors and brightness overblown: I had a twinge of buyers remorse

But Ken came to the rescue and gave me some settings to try: it looks much better now and I am happy (I still have a lot of tweaking to do)

This can be likened to the Kuro before the ISF mode was unlocked by Kevin Miller: different issues of course: both the Elite plasma and LCD require a lot of adjusting before you can really appreciate them [and both should have ISF calibration]

This is a bit disappointing I guess.

* "Gamma on the PRO-60X5FD was quite good in the Movie THX mode at the factory presets"
* "Color gamut on the PRO-60X5FD is reasonably accurate from the factory in the Movie THX mode"
* "Grayscale tracking from the factory on the PRO-60X5FD is fairly good for the Movie THX mode preset prior to calibration"

That's all from Kevin Miller's review and it implied -- to me -- that someone taking one of these home and turning it on would go "Wow!" immediately, not have "a twinge of buyer's remorse".

I'm glad Mark's set is doing better, but I'm disappointed in Sharp and confused by what kind of review sample Kevin had if Mark's TV had "colors and brightness overblown" out of the box.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #820 of 14597 Old 09-21-2011, 02:26 PM

Well, right out of the box it's not set to THX ....
I know, I know...I'm just saying '.
post #821 of 14597 Old 09-21-2011, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
I've been liking THX mode a lot. I don't see any other reason to use other modes unless gaming.
post #822 of 14597 Old 09-21-2011, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

...snip...

I'm glad Mark's set is doing better, but I'm disappointed in Sharp and confused by what kind of review sample Kevin had if Mark's TV had "colors and brightness overblown" out of the box.

Preproduction displays must have been calibrated to some degree.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #823 of 14597 Old 09-21-2011, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Please post some Gears pics Jukebox360
post #824 of 14597 Old 09-21-2011, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

* "Gamma on the PRO-60X5FD was quite good in the Movie THX mode at the factory presets"
* "Color gamut on the PRO-60X5FD is reasonably accurate from the factory in the Movie THX mode"
* "Grayscale tracking from the factory on the PRO-60X5FD is fairly good for the Movie THX mode preset prior to calibration"

That's all from Kevin Miller's review and it implied -- to me -- that someone taking one of these home and turning it on would go "Wow!" immediately, not have "a twinge of buyer's remorse".

Mark (rogo)

to be fair, I did not start out in THX mode

I ended up in movie mode and am quite satisfied

I have come to know Kevin Miller and have great respect for him: he is my #1 choice to ISF this new display

what I saw when I first turned on the Sharp was overblown and very "LCD like" which is not what I expected

what I see now is an excellent, smooth picture that is impressive

These displays are still being setup (out of the box) for the WOW effect in a showroom: AVS members can easily dial in better settings

my opinion only of course

if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
post #825 of 14597 Old 09-21-2011, 03:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 627
markrubin, good sir, can you give us a summary on what you did to "dial in better settings"?

I ask for my own selfish purposes, but also to get a sense of what the process and time investment were so other prospective owners can consider what they'll be facing. (I, too, would not be happy if the picture was "LCD like" out of the box.)

Also, I'm not bashing Kevin Miller in any way. I'm just questioning Sharp here. Did they give Kevin Miller a sample that was partly pre-calibrated? His review further suggests that the ones they will sell will be better out of the box than the sample he worked with. It almost suggests -- without saying it -- that you really ought not need calibration of the production sets; that Sharp "gets it" on gamma, color, greyscale.

I'm sensing reality and those expectations did not line up.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #826 of 14597 Old 09-21-2011, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 112
^ Rogo my experience out of the box was that using movie mode with contrast and brightness set with LD off using the S&M disc provided a very acceptable picture when LD advanced low was used as the setting for actual viewing. For calibration the gamma was relatively flat O of B at about a 2.10 average. A lot of average viewers would by happy with those setting and not get the 70" calibrated. For the average AVS user and $ spent, I would have it professionally calibrated.
post #827 of 14597 Old 09-21-2011, 04:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked: 1520
Quote:

I can concur that out of the box, the display is a bit of a disappointment. I can tell you that the Sony 929 out of the box is better and requires less fiddling. Of course it also has less controls and I believe the Elite will wind up being more accurate.

In fact with the Elite, you may well say "oops, what did I get myself in to'. But with an ISF adjustment or some tweaking to the settings on your own, you can get a breathtaking picture.
post #828 of 14597 Old 09-21-2011, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

here are initial 'turn on' settings that i recommend to evaluate the 60 inch display (with permission)

normally settings like this would not be posted: this is a starting point only

Movie Mode:
Local Dimming- On
Backlighting- Standard
Contrast- +30
Brightness- -2
Color- -2
Tint- 0
Sharpness- +1

CMS Hue- Default for all
CMS Saturation- All default EXCEPT:
Y- -5
B- -16
Color Temperature- Low

post #829 of 14597 Old 09-21-2011, 04:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked: 1520
Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

I've been liking THX mode a lot. I don't see any other reason to use other modes unless gaming.

I can think of one (at least in my case), more accurate color. I detailed a bit of the issue I have with THX mode and certain colors in a prior post. It appears to me that certain shades of purple (as evidenced by the Today Show as an example) as well as green can not be reproduced properly in THX mode. Yet in non-THX movie mode, I can get much closer. The same thing applies to the menu colors (sounds dumb, but it IS indicative of color accuracy) in the FIOS TV guide.

All these comparisons were done against a calibrated Kuro 151 as well as confirmation of the infamous 'purple' on the Today Show.

Perhaps all this can be corrected with a good ISF adjustment, but it is a bit unusual IMO to have to go to these lengths to get all colors in a reasonable ballpark. This is not an easy display to adjust and it's not for the faint of heart.
post #830 of 14597 Old 09-21-2011, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:

here are initial 'turn on' settings that i recommend to evaluate the 60 inch display (with permission)

normally settings like this would not be posted: this is a starting point only

Movie Mode:
Local Dimming- On
Backlighting- Standard
Contrast- +30
Brightness- -2
Color- -2
Tint- 0
Sharpness- +1

CMS Hue- Default for all
CMS Saturation- All default EXCEPT:
Y- -5
B- -16
Color Temperature- Low

i think many with the 60" will be pleased with these offsets....

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #831 of 14597 Old 09-21-2011, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can anyone that is/was a Kuro owner give a quick comparison on the Elite vs the Kuro. I'm not looking for bashing on either set. Just some opinions from people who own or owned both. What do you like on dislike about either set? I currently have the 500m and I'm thinking of plunking down the money for a Elite 60. I can't go see a Sharp Elite as no one in my area carries them. Thanks
post #832 of 14597 Old 09-21-2011, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

All these comparisons were done against a calibrated Kuro 151 as well as confirmation of the infamous 'purple' on the Today Show.

Ken,

Any chance you would be willing to share some details comparing and contrasting the image on the elite to the 151? That is what I (and, I suspect, many others) are waiting to hear about and a comparison that we won't be able to personally make in a showroom.

Thanks much.

Mike
post #833 of 14597 Old 09-21-2011, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 440forpower View Post

Can anyone that is/was a Kuro owner give a quick comparison on the Elite vs the Kuro. I'm not looking for bashing on either set. Just some opinions from people who own or owned both. What do you like on dislike about either set? I currently have the 500m and I'm thinking of plunking down the money for a Elite 60. I can't go see a Sharp Elite as no one in my area carries them. Thanks

Doh! You beat me to the punch.
post #834 of 14597 Old 09-21-2011, 05:58 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:

Mark (rogo)
I have come to know Kevin Miller and have great respect for him: he is my #1 choice to ISF this new display

what I saw when I first turned on the Sharp was overblown and very "LCD like" which is not what I expected

what I see now is an excellent, smooth picture that is impressive

These displays are still being setup (out of the box) for the WOW effect in a showroom: AVS members can easily dial in better settings

my opinion only of course

Members should take advantages of advances in technology and consider a simple automated calibration. We all know how buggy the internal TV calibration controls can be. They are also locked on so that consumers must pay $450 for a one time manual calibration.
My favorite calibration member umr states that he has corrected calibrations many times from the rock stars in the industry.
In my opinion, the more the sources of error and interpretation are eliminated, the more precise the calibration.

The solution is to use the x-rite retail i1 Display Pro 3 with its pc/mac automated software. For the Sharp, specify your level of brightness and white point then select a wide gamut LED display, then select the 478 test patterns. They are measured in under 10 minutes! This meter is both amazingly fast and accurate with no human in the loop fiddling hour after hour with the displays internal controls. Amazon has some excellent comprehensive reviews.
An icc color profile is created and only loads when the Sharp is connected. The MSRP of $270 make this superior lookup table type of calibration a true bargain.

Note: to get the most dynamic range on my 70" Sharp, I set my ATI video card to 0-255 range first before calibration as below black is necessary only for humans.
post #835 of 14597 Old 09-21-2011, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 34
The Bestbuy by me was setting on up today. I was like "what is that?" I saw the box and it said Pioneer Elite 70" LCD. Don't remember what model number it was but I search avs and got this thread. Nice set.
post #836 of 14597 Old 09-21-2011, 06:09 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hksvr4 View Post

I saw the box and it said Pioneer Elite 70" LCD.

Yep I saw it too, so now there are two of us!
post #837 of 14597 Old 09-21-2011, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Oh and it was 3D too and came with two 3D glasses.
post #838 of 14597 Old 09-21-2011, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:

as to the serial codes, I will try the standard Sharp LCD codes next: not a big deal as I can always use IR to control

What a shame that these hoops must be jumped through. A display at this price carrying the name Elite should look stunning right out of the box.
post #839 of 14597 Old 09-21-2011, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

Members should take advantages of advances in technology and consider a simple automated calibration. We all know how buggy the internal TV calibration controls can be. They are also locked on so that consumers must pay $450 for a one time manual calibration.
My favorite calibration member umr states that he has corrected calibrations many times from the rock stars in the industry.
In my opinion, the more the sources of error and interpretation are eliminated, the more precise the calibration.

The solution is to use the x-rite retail i1 Display Pro 3 with its pc/mac automated software. For the Sharp, specify your level of brightness and white point then select a wide gamut LED display, then select the 478 test patterns. They are measured in under 10 minutes! This meter is both amazingly fast and accurate with no human in the loop fiddling hour after hour with the displays internal controls. Amazon has some excellent comprehensive reviews.
An icc color profile is created and only loads when the Sharp is connected. The MSRP of $270 make this superior lookup table type of calibration a true bargain.

Note: to get the most dynamic range on my 70" Sharp, I set my ATI video card to 0-255 range first before calibration as below black is necessary only for humans.

The solution is to use the x-rite retail i1 Display Pro 3

yes,we understand as you have repeated that several times.

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #840 of 14597 Old 09-21-2011, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hksvr4 View Post

The Bestbuy by me was setting on up today. I was like "what is that?" I saw the box and it said Pioneer Elite 70" LCD. Don't remember what model number it was but I search avs and got this thread. Nice set.

I saw the box and it said Pioneer Elite 70"

sorry, i call bs on that one. in know way does my box have written anywhere "Pioneer."

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Elite Black 70inch Pro 70x5fd Flat Panel 3d Led Hdtv , Sharp Elite Pro 60x5fd 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page