post #61 of 14555 Old 09-07-2011, 12:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by jikdoc View Post
LOL, i'm hitting the same brick wall. you would think they'd get some samples out to nyc at least.
Yup, it's very surprising.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 14555 Old 09-07-2011, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jikdoc View Post
LOL, i'm hitting the same brick wall. you would think they'd get some samples out to nyc at least.
If you're contacting a BB, just say you have a BB SKU you'd like them to check for:

3143429 - 60"
3143456 - 70"

Giving them the BB SKU number should avoid any confusion on their end.

I've briefly viewed the 70" model and liked what I saw! Though Sharp's frame interpolation algorithm could use a little bit of work (saw some "fluttering" artifacts). I think it was in THX mode, as the yellow sub-pixel didn't appear to be in use.
post #63 of 14555 Old 09-07-2011, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadTech51 View Post

Yes that's the bubble thing that drifts over his face and then the camera focuses on it. Looks great in 3D.

Well I checked that scene and I don't think it's this one. First because it looks totally different on my TV and second in that scene he already has short hair while on the picture above he seems to have long hair.

I will see if I still find my old 925e pictures which showed the blue trailing. Also I had the impression that it got worse after some time. At the German Hifi forum there were some guys who said they couldn't see it at all in the beginning and now, some months later even they can see it.

Edit: I found the scene! It's at the very beginning, around 00.00.58h and I can see the blue line also on my LG TV so it's definitely not the blue overdrive trailing on that picture! But I will still look for my old pictures if someone is interested in seeing them.
post #64 of 14555 Old 09-07-2011, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicblue83 View Post

Well I checked that scene and I don't think it's this one. First because it looks totally different on my TV and second in that scene he already has short hair while on the picture above he seems to have long hair.

I will see if I still find my old 925e pictures which showed the blue trailing. Also I had the impression that it got worse after some time. At the German Hifi forum there were some guys who said they couldn't see it at all in the beginning and now, some months later even they can see it.

Edit: I found the scene! It's at the very beginning, around 00.00.58h and I can see the blue line also on my LG TV so it's definitely not the blue overdrive trailing on that picture! But I will still look for my old pictures if someone is interested in seeing them.

Ok thx, I was thinking of a different scene I guess lol. Good news ether way thx for checking into it.

Sharp Elite PRO- 70X5FD 
Pioneer Elite VSX- 52 (A/V receiver)
Pioneer Elite BDP3FD (Blu-Ray) Player
Surround sound system: B&W (2) CM8's, (1) CENTER CHANNEL, (2) CM1 BOOKSHELF MONITORS's, (1) ASW10CM ACTIVE SUBWOOFER.
post #65 of 14555 Old 09-07-2011, 01:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

well that's good to hear! At least one issue put to bed. Sonic, do you have a time code for that scene? Oops, I see you gave it.

It's the actor's right eye, correct?
post #66 of 14555 Old 09-07-2011, 01:17 PM

Liked: 13
Went to see the 70 inch Sharp Elite at Best Buy today. Watched it and played with the remote slightly for about 15-20 minutes. They had transformers BD going so I watched the first 15-20 minutes of the movie. I tried to turn off all processing I could find in the picture control menu/advanced menu and had the TV in THX mode for the viewing demo. This is my completely unprofessional opinion coming from a ISF calibrated 151fd Elite by Jeff (Accucal).

What I liked:

-Very nice aesthetics, the brushed aluminum matte bezel is really a step forward from the older glossy elites. Certainly the slimmer profile helps.
-Nice brightness/contrast even in the semi bright environment in Magnolia. No plasma will ever touch those type of blacks/contrast during the daytime. Characteristic of LCD of course, but the local dimming implementation definitely gives nice blacks without any real crushing as far as I can tell.
-Very nice colors out the box in THX mode, I was very impressed by the viewing experience on the color accuracies in general out the box.
-Completely uniform from what I can tell across the whole screen. No flashlighting or clouding issues whatsoever from what I saw.
-70" is definitely the way to go. =P Love the size up.

Dislikes:

-Viewing angle. Obviously this was expected coming from a plasma....though the LCD technology seemingly has improved vastly over the years as it offered a pretty wide angle before I noticed any significant drop off in the colors and washing out.
-Blooming. Perhaps it just happened to be the content that showed this off clearly but in the menu of transformers, where the boxes of scenes from the movie are rotating around, you can see the blooming effects go on and off on the boxes at different points of the rotation. I guess this was expected too from the LED LCD technology.
-Motion. I don't know the specifics/technicalities but even after turning off all the motion enhancements, framerate and movements didn't look quite "right" to me. Perhaps I'm noticing the small response issues of a LCD screen versus a plasma....but this is a pretty picky observation since it is very slight and I'm not completely positive if it's due from me watching motion enhanced content to start with on the screen at the beginning.

Overall, an amazing display for sure worthy of the Elite name tag. Would I upgrade from the 9g elite plasma? That is a tough question....the bigger size and the daytime viewing is plenty reason already but fortunately, I do 99% of my viewing at night as I'm at work all day on weekdays and only watch the tv at night during weekends when my daughter is asleep....so it's a moot point. It would be nice if the pricetag became somewhat more reasonable to give the wife a bigger nudge haha. Congrats to those buying this TV, it's an amazing display that's sure to get a lot of attention in the coming months.
post #67 of 14555 Old 09-07-2011, 03:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Sensui, my guess is there isn't really a motion issue with the Elite. The motion processing on my 929 looks as good as my Kuro 151. It may be that you turned off too much of the processing and some is needed.

You mentioned the blooming. Did you see this on or off axis? I know with my 929 there is very very little blooming on-axis, but a significant amount off-axis.
post #68 of 14555 Old 09-07-2011, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
I'd imagine the motion issues were caused by turning all that processing off. Makes sense.
post #69 of 14555 Old 09-07-2011, 04:00 PM

Liked: 13
Ken, perhaps. I just wanted to make sure to rid of all the motion enhancements but perhaps some of it should be been kept on? Oh well...wouldn't know till I go back....I'm sure I will too to tempt myself but as of now from my personal viewing habits, there isn't a compelling reason to spend $7k yet (doesn't stop me from bugging the wife hah). Impressive display nevertheless, glad to see we're still moving forwards on these large format flat panel displays.

In regards to the blooming, I saw this sitting in the loungers in Magnolia on display and also verified it walking up to the screen. I can't guarantee I was completely on-axis but the blooming was faint compared to other LED LCDs I've seen in the past...not very objective since I don't actually own a recent LED LCD but to a plasma owner knowing of the issue, it does stand out. On the other hand, I can almost guarantee most people not looking for or not knowing about the blooming tendencies on these tvs will have a hard time identifying the issue unless you played very specific content.....just so happens the first thing I saw was the transformers' scene menu which demonstrated the issue heh.....still can't get over how good it looks though in that much light with the deep blacks and sharp colors, reflectiveness is a bit exaggerated by some I think since it didn't seem all that intrusive....then again I wasn't opposite to an open window.
post #70 of 14555 Old 09-07-2011, 04:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

OK, I just checked and that's definitely not the scene. Look at Rad's pix of the closeup of the actor's eyes. The right eye has a blue mark in the corner and the left eye looks normal. The scene at 0:58 in Avatar is very different. The scene is very blue and the camera essentially focuses on only one eye.

I just can't find that scene. Anyone have any ideas? Again, Post #38, first pix in that grouping.
post #71 of 14555 Old 09-07-2011, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

OK, I just checked and that's definitely not the scene. Look at Rad's pix of the closeup of the actor's eyes. The right eye has a blue mark in the corner and the left eye looks normal. The scene at 0:58 in Avatar is very different. The scene is very blue and the camera essentially focuses on only one eye.

I just can't find that scene. Anyone have any ideas? Again, Post #38, first pix in that grouping.

It might be from the camera or light from the kitchen, it wasn't completely dark during those exposures I had ambient light sources. I'll take a look tonight and see if it's there still.

Edit: it's normal part if the movie just checked it on a Sony.

Sharp Elite PRO- 70X5FD 
Pioneer Elite VSX- 52 (A/V receiver)
Pioneer Elite BDP3FD (Blu-Ray) Player
Surround sound system: B&W (2) CM8's, (1) CENTER CHANNEL, (2) CM1 BOOKSHELF MONITORS's, (1) ASW10CM ACTIVE SUBWOOFER.
post #72 of 14555 Old 09-07-2011, 04:37 PM

Cant wait to see this tv in person. Doubt it surpasses the PQ of my 101 tho.
post #73 of 14555 Old 09-07-2011, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

wow..........those pictures are amazing

I thought that I had a good set with the Samsung A950, but I sure like this set

May God Guide and Guard the USA!
post #74 of 14555 Old 09-07-2011, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post

don't worry it won't.....of course jukebox hero will disagree and say it's the best thing since slice bread. he said, that about the b8500 as well.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #75 of 14555 Old 09-07-2011, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

don't worry it won't.....of course jukebox hero will disagree and say it's the best thing since slice bread. he said, that about the b8500 as well.

No. I didn't. Coming from someone who lied about owning a set.... Well, that says enough about that.
post #76 of 14555 Old 09-07-2011, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post

This is clearly becoming a point of opinions rather then facts. Purely depends on what you define as better picture then what it is you already have. As for the facts? Blacks,whites,brightness,daytime viewing all go to Sharp. Off angle, uniformity, no halos. KURO. For some this set is better. For others it isn't. Personally, the Sharp is a bit overpriced as of now. Both sets have clear pros and cons. Main thing for me with the Sharp is it being new. It isn't old. I shouldn't have any trouble with it. If so. I'll still have a warranty to help me out. It certainly isn't a bad set.
post #77 of 14555 Old 09-07-2011, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
every time I look at this pic I get mesmerized !!!

post #78 of 14555 Old 09-07-2011, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Rad, did you take your pics using a DSLR or a simple point a shoot? As I said before. I'm still very surprised there hasn't been any processing done by you in these pics.
post #79 of 14555 Old 09-07-2011, 06:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 382
I love that we've degraded to the point where a guy that owns the TV is being accused of not owing the TV by someone who makes trolling his business. Good stuff.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #80 of 14555 Old 09-07-2011, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Well that's great! I wonder how one makes trolling business cards?

Must we derailed this thread as well?

Back on topic. Rad, I don't remember reading anything about its 3D or gaming performance. Have you tired either of the two?
post #81 of 14555 Old 09-07-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

As for the facts? Blacks,whites,brightness,daytime viewing all go to Sharp.

Could you point me to the calibration reports and/or calibration-based reviews that confirm these facts? Thanks.
post #82 of 14555 Old 09-07-2011, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iorek View Post

Could you point me to the calibration reports and/or calibration-based reviews that confirm these facts? Thanks.

Do you honestly need numbers to confirm what you can already see? Fact. Kuro blacks have been beaten long before this elite came out. I doubt this set would have worse blacks then any of the competing Sony and Samsung sets.

Whites. Uhh. When has a plasma ever had better whites. Let alone brighter image or better daytime viewing.... There hasn't.

A gallon is bigger then a pint. You wouldn't need numbers to see that. Same goes for this set.
post #83 of 14555 Old 09-07-2011, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Airgas has been on other forum discussions on other sites discussing this set prior to purchase - there is no reason to doubt his feedback.
post #84 of 14555 Old 09-07-2011, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiff69 View Post

Airgas has been on other forum discussions on other sites discussing this set prior to purchase - there is no reason to doubt his feedback.

I see. I do not browse other sites like this. Avs is the only site I'm on. But it doesn't give me reason to doubt his word. Wrong or right. I apologize.
post #85 of 14555 Old 09-07-2011, 06:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadTech51 View Post

It might be from the camera or light from the kitchen, it wasn't completely dark during those exposures I had ambient light sources. I'll take a look tonight and see if it's there still.

Rad, just tell me where that scene was and I'll look at it on my displays. But it wasn't where the other poster pointed out (0:58), that was a totally different scene.
post #86 of 14555 Old 09-07-2011, 07:07 PM
VGI
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I brought my 70" Elite home tonight and I am going to do an A/B comparison to my 65VT30 which i am quite fond of. Being a Pioneer Elite Dealer for over 10 years and loving Plasmas and falling in love with the VT25 and now the VT30, I am in for a interesting ride with this baby.

We are going to try and get it setup thurs night and I want to keep my VT30 near by so we can do some sort of comparison. I would love to actually run a HDMI splitter and run both Tv's at the same time but thats going to be tough.

I am really hoping that the picture stacks up to the press and pushes me into LCD/LED because I love my plasmas..

More to follow

Craig
post #87 of 14555 Old 09-07-2011, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
VGI, I look forward to your impressions and comparison
post #88 of 14555 Old 09-07-2011, 07:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Craig, your comparisons should be really interesting.
post #89 of 14555 Old 09-07-2011, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGI View Post

I brought my 70" Elite home tonight and I am going to do an A/B comparison to my 65VT30 which i am quite fond of. Being a Pioneer Elite Dealer for over 10 years and loving Plasmas and falling in love with the VT25 and now the VT30, I am in for a interesting ride with this baby.

We are going to try and get it setup thurs night and I want to keep my VT30 near by so we can do some sort of comparison. I would love to actually run a HDMI splitter and run both Tv's at the same time but thats going to be tough.

I am really hoping that the picture stacks up to the press and pushes me into LCD/LED because I love my plasmas..

More to follow

Craig

Very exciting.
post #90 of 14555 Old 09-07-2011, 07:15 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGI View Post

More to follow

Craig

In for the comparison as these are the two sets I'm considering. How about using the Panasonic DMP-BDT310 BD player with the dual HDMI output?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Elite Black 70inch Pro 70x5fd Flat Panel 3d Led Hdtv , Sharp Elite Pro 60x5fd 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page