Liked: 12
Originally Posted by markrubin
it appears the panel will not respond to RS232 commands when off: very strange

this means you cannot turn the panel on via RS232

any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManWithAPlan View Post

Mark,

I noticed the same thing using IP Control for the same commands. Strange, since the manual refers to the specific codes for turning the panel on via RS-232 and IP control. I tried various ways, various time, no luck. Other commands via IP control worked beautifully.

-Brian

Hi Mark/Brian. I had the same issues getting IP control to turn on the 70 when it was in standby. Elite Support had me do the following:

The issue that you are experiencing is due to the power saving mode.
To disable this:
1) Make sure the display is powered on.
2) Send command RSPW2 _ _ _
3) Wait 5 seconds
4) Send command POWR1 _ _ _

For testing, power off the television first using POWR0 _ _ _

*The underscore represents space

I setup up buttons in iRule to do the above. When I was done, my power off command turned the tv off but the blue light stays on. After that I was able to use the power on command without issues.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 14556 Old 09-23-2011, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Ken Ross: Thanks for the info on the Pioneer etc...
post #903 of 14556 Old 09-23-2011, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clamage View Post

Originally Posted by markrubin
it appears the panel will not respond to RS232 commands when off: very strange

this means you cannot turn the panel on via RS232

any ideas?

Hi Mark/Brian. I had the same issues getting IP control to turn on the 70 when it was in standby. Elite Support had me do the following:

The issue that you are experiencing is due to the power saving mode.
To disable this:
1) Make sure the display is powered on.
2) Send command RSPW2 _ _ _
3) Wait 5 seconds
4) Send command POWR1 _ _ _

For testing, power off the television first using POWR0 _ _ _

*The underscore represents space

I setup up buttons in iRule to do the above. When I was done, my power off command turned the tv off but the blue light stays on. After that I was able to use the power on command without issues.

Jim

Right on Jim, good call indeed! At least we know Elite support is good for something :-)

-Brian
post #904 of 14556 Old 09-23-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:

Right on Jim, good call indeed! At least we know Elite support is good for something :-)

-Brian

Well, I eventually got the info I needed, but not sure I'm happy with Elite support. Let's compare the $$$ Elite TV and Elite "concierge" support to the $50 iRule app and support.

I registered online for Elite support around 11:40am on Sunday 9/18, got a confirmation email and tried to access support online. No luck. Even though I got confirmation that I was registered, I got nowhere trying to contact them online.

I saw that their hours are 9am-7pm Central Time, Sat-Sun and Holidays...so I gave them a call around 12n EDT on Sunday 9/18. Phone rang and no one picked up...I honestly can't remember if I left a voicemail or not, I was on a mission.

So I sent an email to Elite support around 12:20p. At the same time I also emailed iRule support regarding this and other issues.

I heard back from iRule at 12:52p and had several email exchanges with them throughout the day on Sunday ending at 8:43pm. Got control of the TV, AVR and Blu-ray that day. Pretty good response for a "2 man shop" I think. iRule even went through the Elite manual with me, answered questions and even followed up on Monday afternoon with some addl info they found for me regarding a similar issue with my Elite Blu-ray (won't turn on over IP when in standy mode).

And Elite support? Nothing on Sunday at all. I emailed them again on Monday 9/19. Nada. My first (and only) response from them was 5:53pm TUESDAY with the info I shared above.

So, good info but not exactly the support what I was hoping for after reading their description of "it's only fitting that the LCD TV with simply the finest television picture comes with the finest service". pause, NOT.
post #905 of 14556 Old 09-23-2011, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

Understood...but also understand that under Power Options-->Power Savings, those settings are tied to the Picture mode you are watching, and OPC is just one sub-factor of it, not the same thing. It should be set to "Off", not "Standard" or "Advanced" for *any* of the viewing modes you plan on using.

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but it's the only thing I can think of that would reduce the picture in certain areas of the screen and not others.

-Brian

Checked mine and Power Savings can't be turned off completely in THX. Section is grayed out. Tried Movie and could turn it off there. One green leaf in THX.
post #906 of 14556 Old 09-23-2011, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

Well, I eventually got the info I needed, but not sure I'm happy with Elite support. Let's compare the $$$ Elite TV and Elite "concierge" support to the $50 iRule app and support.

I registered online for Elite support around 11:40am on Sunday 9/18, got a confirmation email and tried to access support online. No luck. Even though I got confirmation that I was registered, I got nowhere trying to contact them online.

I saw that their hours are 9am-7pm Central Time, Sat-Sun and Holidays...so I gave them a call around 12n EDT on Sunday 9/18. Phone rang and no one picked up...I honestly can't remember if I left a voicemail or not, I was on a mission.

So I sent an email to Elite support around 12:20p. At the same time I also emailed iRule support regarding this and other issues.

I heard back from iRule at 12:52p and had several email exchanges with them throughout the day on Sunday ending at 8:43pm. Got control of the TV, AVR and Blu-ray that day. Pretty good response for a "2 man shop" I think. iRule even went through the Elite manual with me, answered questions and even followed up on Monday afternoon with some addl info they found for me regarding a similar issue with my Elite Blu-ray (won't turn on over IP when in standy mode).

And Elite support? Nothing on Sunday at all. I emailed them again on Monday 9/19. Nada. My first (and only) response from them was 5:53pm TUESDAY with the info I shared above.

So, good info but not exactly the support what I was hoping for after reading their description of "it's only fitting that the LCD TV with simply the finest television picture comes with the finest service". pause, NOT.

Ouch..for the price of these sets they should be kissing their customers! Sounds similar to Onkyo's customer 'support'. The only way I woke them up was to post complaints on their Facebook page...then I heard back right away! Does Sharp have a FB page for the Elite?
post #907 of 14556 Old 09-23-2011, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:

I saw that their hours are 9am–7pm Central Time, Sat–Sun and Holidays...so I gave them a call around 12n EDT on Sunday 9/18. Phone rang and no one picked up...I honestly can't remember if I left a voicemail or not, I was on a mission.

So, good info but not exactly the support what I was hoping for after reading their description of "it’s only fitting that the LCD TV with simply the finest television picture comes with the finest service". pause, NOT.

"So, good info but not exactly the support what I was hoping for after reading their description of "it’s only fitting that the LCD TV with simply the finest television picture comes with the finest service". pause, NOT."

no surprise there....they suck period.....

these sets suck qc as well, i have what is known as adaptive image processing issues. researched this on my own, and of course no help from tech support.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #908 of 14556 Old 09-23-2011, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post

Checked mine and Power Savings can't be turned off completely in THX. Section is grayed out. Tried Movie and could turn it off there. One green leaf in THX.

Nah, it can be killed. You must have Power Options-->Power Settings still set to one of the On modes globally. So, 2 steps - kill the global setting first for all Power Savings under Power Settings, then check your MovieTHX mode and it may be greyed out, but it will be Off as proper. Put it this way, I have Power Savings set to "Off" in my MovieTHX mode, so there is definitely a way.

-Brian
post #909 of 14556 Old 09-23-2011, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Guys, I just gotta say - Avatar in 3D on this set looks amazing! I have Movie(3D) mode calibrated for 3D and they definitely nailed it I think. It's absolutely insane how good this looks. WOW, my first 3D Bluray and it's looking amazing. I might be hooked. Good thing I charged up those glasses to full!

-Brian
post #910 of 14556 Old 09-23-2011, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

thats the kicker it happens on all picture modes, and disappears if i disable ld. it is identical to my 60" set as well. very very strange....

Maybe there's an issue with your mains/outlet power...you might not be getting a full 120v * maybe 90v that could be casuing the set to go into power saving or something> bring the set over to a buddy's and try it out there.
post #911 of 14556 Old 09-23-2011, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingdaz View Post

Maybe there's an issue with your mains/outlet power...you might not be getting a full 120v * maybe 90v that could be casuing the set to go into power saving or something> bring the set over to a buddy's and try it out there.

yeh,i'll just throw that 70"er over my shoulders...jk

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #912 of 14556 Old 09-23-2011, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

yeh,i'll just throw that 70"er over my shoulders...jk

LOL....

Do you have any way of checking your mains power? Or ground? You should be plugging this puppy into a proper surge supressor.
post #913 of 14556 Old 09-23-2011, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

* If you state it has a flicker issue> then it could be a de-interlacing issue...is your bluray set to output 1080p?

This set failed 1080i de-interlacing> Set the output on your bluray player to 1080p 60HZ> Then try 1080p@24. Make sure FILM MODE IS OFF> poorly de-interlaced material coupled with interpolation could cause the flickering your talking about.

* Make sure this set ONLY see's a 1080p signal.

See if that resolves the issue.
post #914 of 14556 Old 09-23-2011, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

* If you state it has a flicker issue> then it could be a de-interlacing issue...is your bluray set to output 1080p?

This set failed 1080i de-interlacing> Set the output on your bluray player to 1080p 60HZ> Then try 1080p@24. Make sure FILM MODE IS OFF> poorly de-interlaced material coupled with interpolation could cause the flickering your talking about.

* Make sure this set ONLY see's a 1080p signal.

See if that resolves the issue.

"Make sure this set ONLY see's a 1080p signal."

i thought about that to, but i would have to get a vp (like the i scan duo) or a avr w/ a good vp chip(like the marvell). i know it failed 1080i film de-interlacing,but isn't ota signals 1080i video and 720p?

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #915 of 14556 Old 09-23-2011, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

i thought about that to, but i would have to get a vp (like the i scan duo) or a avr w/ a good vp chip(like the marvell). i know it failed 1080i film de-interlacing,but isn't ota signals 1080i video and 720p?

Yes they are broadcast is 1080i and 720p> either way those 2 signal resolutions will still have to be upscaled by the TV ( No TV accepts any signal below 1080p without upscaling it first). If you noticed the flicker in broadcast movies> then don't expect the best panning and some other motion artifacts> broadcasters skip frames outputing mixed cadences that requires efficient algorythms to de-interlace them properly> and output them at a steady 3:2 pulldown stream...if the TV can't decipher simple bluray cadences that are near perfect...it will have a harder time with Broadcast cadences.

You would also be better of with a scaler as well ~iscan duo for example> if you spent this much on a TV which doesn't de-interlace that well...you'll be far happier with a good scaler like the Duo or Edge...Money worth spent on IMO. You have the convenience of de-interlacing that shrinks ghosting movement to levels that arn't perceived optically by the retina> this inlcudes RGB color space that is flashed 4 times second> where regular bluray players only flash the first color 4 times and the other 2 0 times> this results in smoother motion in colors> as they don't bleed into adjacent pixels when there is any movement> and if they do...It almost act's motion interpolation etc...where it's sped up enough you won't notice it etc> you get decent edge enhancement to smooth out the picture minimizing blocky edges> then a decent sharpening filter that refocuses the softer image from edge enhancement> you get cadence detection which helps with motion...this IMO is why we have 120HZ sets> cadence detection is the MOST CRITICAL in preventing motion blur> NO TV on the market ever has been able to include a chip that can detect multiple cadences because it's too expensive to develope such a chip...as HQV and DVDO took years to develope those complex de-interlacing algoryths...so people are stuck with TVS that exhibit motion blur. Although motion panning can still be noticable somtimes.

Any Bluray player will output 1080p> you don't need a special player...more importantly> make sure the movie is 1080p itself...otheriwse your player might not output it as 1080p.
post #916 of 14556 Old 09-24-2011, 12:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 386
"No TV accepts any signal below 1080p without upscaling it firstNo TV accepts any signal below 1080p without upscaling it first"

What is this trying to say?

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #917 of 14556 Old 09-24-2011, 08:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Quote:

Airgas, do you see any difference in the flickering between THX mode and other modes? As I've mentioned, mine goes away almost entirely in THX mode, but is there in other modes.

Just as a footnote to this, I should mention that I have seen this kind of thing on my Kuro. It's a bit different, but it's also a kind of 'pulsing' in dimly lit scenes. Interestingly, in the scenes that I see it on the Elite, I don't see it on the Kuro and in the scenes I see it on the Kuro, I don't see it on the Elite.

So if I had to categorize this anomaly, I'd say that both displays suffer from a form of 'pulsing' with dimly lit scenes, but display it in different, yet similar scenes. Go figure.
post #918 of 14556 Old 09-24-2011, 08:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Airgas, remember you saw it on TBK which I assume was fed by a BD player outputting 1080 24p. If so, so much for the deinterlacing theory (which I don't subscribe to in terms of this artifact).
post #919 of 14556 Old 09-24-2011, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

"No TV accepts any signal below 1080p without upscaling it firstNo TV accepts any signal below 1080p without upscaling it first"

What is this trying to say?

Let's say your signal is 480p> your TV is not capable of passing the signal through untouched> if it is 720p still cannot pass it and output as 720p...same with 480i (rare) and 1080i> your TV will not pass them through..it will upscale them all to 1080p.
post #920 of 14556 Old 09-24-2011, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Airgas, do you see any difference in the flickering between THX mode and other modes? As I've mentioned, mine goes away almost entirely in THX mode, but is there in other modes.

Just as a footnote to this, I should mention that I have seen this kind of thing on my Kuro. It's a bit different, but it's also a kind of 'pulsing' in dimly lit scenes. Interestingly, in the scenes that I see it on the Elite, I don't see it on the Kuro and in the scenes I see it on the Kuro, I don't see it on the Elite.

So if I had to categorize this anomaly, I'd say that both displays suffer from a form of 'pulsing' with dimly lit scenes, but display it in different, yet similar scenes. Go figure.

What scenes are you noticing this on the Elite?
post #921 of 14556 Old 09-24-2011, 10:38 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadTech51 View Post

Additional screen shots of the menu system.

Intelligent Variable Contrast images from demo mode.

Purity Test

Viewing Angle Test

That's a beautiful display. Deep blacks and true whites. It must be wonderful to get deep blacks without sacraficing whites. I would like to see a 55 inch set come to the market. This a breakthrough product. I knew this day would come.

Big props to Sharp.
post #922 of 14556 Old 09-24-2011, 10:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

What scenes are you noticing this on the Elite?

The same kind I see them on with the Kuro, dimly lit, generally low contrast scenes. It's very much as Airgas described it, walls, solid color objects etc. But always during low contrast scenes with little detail
post #923 of 14556 Old 09-24-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

The same kind I see them on with the Kuro, dimly lit, generally low contrast scenes. It's very much as Airgas described it, walls, solid color objects etc. But always during low contrast scenes with little detail

Ken, out of curiosity what is the backlight set at on your Elite for the various picture modes?
post #924 of 14556 Old 09-24-2011, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Radtech hasn't posted any issue's on this yet> maybe he doesn't notice it as much?
post #925 of 14556 Old 09-24-2011, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I was at Magnolia and put on Attack of the Clones. I thought my Panny v30 had good blacks. After seeing the scenes in space on the elite, my Panny looks dark grey compared to this. Seriously. I'm ruined now for what deep black is.
post #926 of 14556 Old 09-24-2011, 12:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbonacci View Post

Ken, out of curiosity what is the backlight set at on your Elite for the various picture modes?

And therein lies the problem. Airgass is 100% correct, this appears to be a dynamic backlighting problem. I normally set mine to "local dimming on", but when set to off, the pulsing totally disappears regardless of picture mode. When set to THX mode, the issue is almost totally gone regardless of the backlighting setting.

It would appear that the backlighting in most modes is trying to figure out what to do with these dimly lit, featureless areas of the picture. So instead of locking in to a given brightness, it tends to fluctuate as it tries to grab on to some detail.

I would think a software update could fix this and I do believe this would be inherent in all the Elites given the 'right' scenes.
post #927 of 14556 Old 09-24-2011, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostylou View Post

I was at Magnolia and put on Attack of the Clones. I thought my Panny v30 had good blacks. After seeing the scenes in space on the elite, my Panny looks dark grey compared to this. Seriously. I'm ruined now for what deep black is.

Doubt that.

Spacescenes = stars... lot of stars. There's no way a LD set could get blacks as deep as a plasma in situations like that.
post #928 of 14556 Old 09-24-2011, 12:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Radtech hasn't posted any issue's on this yet> maybe he doesn't notice it as much?

Yup. I believe that some may not see it or may not be watching the material that tends to bring this out. But given that between Airgass and I, we see it on 3 different Elites (one 70 and two 60s), I'd say the issue is pretty widespread. I'm pretty anal about PQ and may tend to see more issues than some, and I suspect Airgass is pretty much the same.
post #929 of 14556 Old 09-24-2011, 12:28 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostylou View Post

Yep, the 70X5 Kuro Killer definitely has the deepest blacks of any set out there, but don't forget it also has brilliant whites that most plasma set just can not match. Plasma still have a slight edge in off-axis viewing if that is critical for you. Once the cost on this tech comes down, plasmas should finally be on their way out.
post #930 of 14556 Old 09-24-2011, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 286
thread cleanup

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Elite Black 70inch Pro 70x5fd Flat Panel 3d Led Hdtv , Sharp Elite Pro 60x5fd 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page