Old 09-26-2011, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

4. Quality control is questionable at best.

5. Brightness fluctuations are reported by many owners.

6. Stand is ugly and gets in the way of otherwise excellent cosmetics.

7. peeling ar filter.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2011, 07:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican4D View Post

1. Undefeatable DNR

2. Worse MLL especially in 24p-mode.

3. Too clumsy pwm-noise near black

Would you like me to compose a list as to what is wrong with the VT30. Im pretty sure I can match your list and the other 4-5 other members have tallied against the D8000. When. I say the D8000 is .2 behind the D8000, im taking into consideration the flaws of both.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

When second place is half the price, I do not think Panasonic is too upset.

That's how my trickle down theory will work
soon we all will have a reasonably priced 80" that don't break the bank & have about the same PQ as the Sharp & the Panny has
PJ's just don't work for my set-up but any thing large does

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
Old 09-26-2011, 07:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by specuvestor View Post

This speaks volume. Hope panny is listening. Have you compared it with VSX300?

IMO, the VX300 is nothing more than a VT30 (with both the fbr improved firmware and upcoming saturation update) in a tuxedo.

Quote:
So D-Nice posts back it was reported that there is issue in Elite's inverse telecine or deinterlacing? Will this be considered important or your opinion/ VE shootout will be based on 1080p/24 basis?

Will look at both.

Quote:
A major discussion here is viewing angle. What's the weightage you put on this and how it fare vs plasma?

Viewing angle importance will always be based on an individual basis. If the seating is off to the sides, plasma will always win. Dead on, well... totally different story.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 53
@ D Nice

How would you compare the Sony 929 vs the elite? I know the elite seems to be the better of the two, is the 929 in the same ballpark though? In your opinion, are these elites the kuro killers they are claimed to be?
Old 09-26-2011, 08:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyboy View Post

@ D Nice

How would you compare the Sony 929 vs the elite? I know the elite seems to be the better of the two, is the 929 in the same ballpark though?

IMO, Elite is better. However the 929 is amazing and I probably would rate it as being better than a VT30. Please remember I said probably

Quote:
In your opinion, are these elites the kuro killers they are claimed to be?

Let's just say I have no plans on replacing any of my Kuros with one of these displays. Now if one dies and cannot be repaired, These displays are the only ones out there that remotely qualify as a replacement.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

IMO, the VX300 is nothing more than a VT30 (with both the fbr improved firmware and upcoming saturation update) in a tuxedo.

Oh man this got to hurt :P and it will be at the shootout as well.

So what tolerance of viewing angle would be a consideration for u in terms of PQ?

Thanks
Old 09-26-2011, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Man, I just took a look at the support options they are offering with the new Elites, and THIS is what a high end display should be bundled with. When I pay $8K for a TV, I don't expect the same level of service as Joe Blow with his $1000 Vizio. So this is a step in the right direction, and hopefully they come through with their promises.

That being said, I saw the 70" Elite on my local Magnolia and it looked great. The one thing I did notice was the blacks (specifically the black bars) got lighter when viewed at an angle. But when viewed dead on, it looked fantastic. Not big on the remote though. Looks kind of cheap.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

IMO, Elite is better. However the 929 is amazing and I probably would rate it as being better than a VT30. Please remember I said probably

Let's just say I have no plans on replacing any of my Kuros with one of these displays. Now if one dies and cannot be repaired, These displays are the only ones out there that remotely qualify as a replacement.

Thanks for the feedback! I am still using the 500m as my main display. While I am extremely content with the Pq of the 500m, there are times when I want to go up in size.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyboy View Post

Thanks for the feedback! I am still using the 500m as my main display. While I am extremely content with the Pq of the 500m, there are times when I want to go up in size.

Well you have options
Old 09-26-2011, 08:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by specuvestor View Post

Oh man this got to hurt :P and it will be at the shootout as well.

I really hope it does. Panasonic can do far better than they have been doing the past few years. I think they understand this now and should do far better in the next gen.... at least I hope.

Quote:
So what tolerance of viewing angle would be a consideration for u in terms of PQ?

Thanks

The Sharp would probably work in my media room. However it would not work in the living room or mbr.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

Hey D, are the reasons mostly...

A) Local dimming still has halo and black fluctuation problems

and...

B) Viewing angles?

I don't know what I am doing! AHHHHHHH!!!!
Old 09-26-2011, 09:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Yes, but every man wants those five additional inches!

Mark
Old 09-26-2011, 09:39 PM

Liked: 12
[quote=D-Nice;21004240]IMO, Elite is better. However the 929 is amazing and I probably would rate it as being better than a VT30. Please remember I said probably

Let's just say I have no plans on replacing any of my Kuros with one of these displays. Now if one dies and cannot be repaired, These displays are the only ones out there that remotely qualify as a replacement.[/QUOTE]

Old 09-26-2011, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:

I really hope it does. Panasonic can do far better than they have been doing the past few years. I think they understand this now and should do far better in the next gen.... at least I hope.

The Sharp would probably work in my media room. However it would not work in the living room or mbr.

Hey D-Nice- Will you be calibrating one of these Elites before the shootout? I remember you said you were supposed to a while back but got delayed instead.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

... Until a TV comes out that is superior, they have no reason to drop the price...

Not that a physicist can do marketing analysis, but I can imagine a scenario.

1. If they cannot move the TV's, they will be forced to drop the price.
2. If they are forced drop prices below cost or to an unacceptable margin, they will have to:

a. Discontinue the model, or

b. Reduce production cost, or

c. Continue at loss for the prestige

3. Once early adopters are exhausted in the market, the sets may not move.
4. Then they will be forced to drop prices.
5. Then again, word of mouth from early adopters may increase perceived value and the sets will move without price reductions.

So you early adopter fanatics with deep pockets, stop buying these sets so your fellow enthusiasts can afford to buy them before they are discontinued

I heard these sets are still having non-uniformity issues, like the smudgy screen on panning, usually associated with banding structures. Do these sets pass the shuttle launch "banding" test?
Old 09-27-2011, 12:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

7. peeling ar filter.

That's what "4" was meant to cover.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
Old 09-27-2011, 12:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 774
Quote:

For years, they could claim to make the best display regardless of price -- at least among videophiles since the discontinuation of the Kuro. They can no longer make that claim.

Yes, it's a great value, but it's a disappointing product.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
Old 09-27-2011, 01:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

For years, they could claim to make the best display regardless of price -- at least among videophiles since the discontinuation of the Kuro. They can no longer make that claim.

Yes, it's a great value, but it's a disappointing product.

You left out the word "very". I'm sure you can figure out where it belongs.

The 101 is soooo very nice!!!
Old 09-27-2011, 04:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1841 Post(s)
Liked: 1893
Quote:

Since there's been so much "Kuro killer" talk here, I think some may have missed this point that D-Nice made. You could, with a stretch, interpret it one of two ways: a) he thinks the Kuro still reigns supreme or b) he feels the Elite may be as good as the Kuro but why replace a perfectly good Kuro with a display that's 'only' as good.

Objectively, I think I know what his opinion is.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Well I just listed my Pioneer Kuro Pro150 in the For Sale Ads Here. I'm going to get one of the 70 inchers. I do like the extras that are on this Display like the ability to Wirelessly update the software and to become more of a part of my intergrated HT package.

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

Old 09-27-2011, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
just remember..this is not a Pioneer Elite Kuro Plasma..which you own and is a phenomenal tv..it is a Sharp and it is an LCD/LED tv..which IMO is not worth anywhere near 8500 bucks..no matter what the disguise or pretention
Old 09-27-2011, 08:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I don't think another (high end) 70" set has to hit the market for the price of the 70" to come down. I mean ****, it already has come down quite a bit - both from MSRP (duh) as well as from the initial street pricing which was low-mid $7xxx but is now already as low as mid-high $6xxx. Another 10% lower to hit $6k in order to move somewhat more volume after all the crazies here snap up the initial runs is pretty easy to envision.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
Old 09-27-2011, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Thanks for telling us. I think this is the first time this has been mentioned on this thread :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene9p View Post

just remember..this is not a Pioneer Elite Kuro Plasma..which you own and is a phenomenal tv..it is a Sharp and it is an LCD/LED tv..which IMO is not worth anywhere near 8500 bucks..no matter what the disguise or pretention

Old 09-27-2011, 08:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene9p View Post

I seriously doubt many, especially those on these forums, pay full list price.

The smart money will wait a few months.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, VideoForge HDMI II, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycore View Post

They will be releasing a 80" edge-lit model in the next month and combine that with the fact Robert from VE, who has a close working relationship with Sharp, heard rumors of an 80X5 model for next year and it does seem likely.
It really doesn't matter if they have any competition. Selling less than 10,000 units a year is not going to add to Sharps bottom line. The only reason you would run the X5 line this way was to create a "halo" product, but they do not even put the Sharp name on the box, so how can they hope to downsell. Then there is a huge gap between the value leading 70" 732 series and the high-end Elite line. As you said, I guess we will know by fall of next year, but I believe Sharp is ready to dominate the emerging 70-80" market and you will be shocked by the margins they are willing to live with.

The 80" is not coming out of the same fab. An edgelit non-quatron 80" is a far cry from the Elite. An 80X5 is a faint baseless rumor at this point. If Robert had any compelling proof that it would happen, he wouldn't be able to share it. They will dominate the 70-80 inch space, but alas, not with an 80X5.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 581
I have to step in here and ask that a higher level of Forum Decorum be observed: we are all members here and everyone should be treated with respect

I also edited the thread title to remind that price talk is not allowed

Thank you

posts removed

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
Old 09-27-2011, 10:18 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Since there's been so much "Kuro killer" talk here, I think some may have missed this point that D-Nice made. You could, with a stretch, interpret it one of two ways: a) he thinks the Kuro still reigns supreme or b) he feels the Elite may be as good as the Kuro but why replace a perfectly good Kuro with a display that's 'only' as good.

Objectively, I think I know what his opinion is.

Almost, but not really. He can replace his Kuro's with a 70" Elite which would be an upgrade, but even so still isn't interested in doing that meaning the Kuro still retains advantages and an overall edge outweighing the potential size increase.

The "Kuro Killer" is still a fabrication that has yet to materialize.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

b) he feels the Elite may be as good as the Kuro but why replace a perfectly good Kuro with a display that's 'only' as good.

Picture quality is subjective and if that is his choice he is entitled to it. The reasons I would pick the 70X5 Kuro Killer would be its superior picture quality, deeper blacks levels, brighter white levels, superior viewing in daytime lighting conditions, lower power consumption, the abilty to provide a fantastic 3D picture, the ability to output 140fl with out clipping the gray level which would allow you to overcome reflections in most rooms, the fact it is actually available and especially the 10 extra inches of the 70X5.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycore View Post

Picture quality is subjective and if that is his choice he is entitled to it. The reasons I would pick the 70X5 Kuro Killer would be its superior picture quality, deeper blacks levels, brighter white levels, superior viewing in daytime lighting conditions, lower power consumption, the abilty to provide a fantastic 3D picture, the ability to output 140fl with out clipping the gray level which would allow you to overcome reflections in most rooms, the fact it is actually available and especially the 10 extra inches of the 70X5.

Opinions are subjective as well.

Tags
Sharp Elite Black 70inch Pro 70x5fd Flat Panel 3d Led Hdtv , Sharp Elite Pro 60x5fd 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 70x5fd by PriceGrabber.com