Official Sharp Elite PRO-70X5 and 60X5 Owners Thread - Page 384 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25Likes

post #11491 of 14824 Old 12-01-2012, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post

I was thinking the same thing as I read the post.

customer from hell, that one. yikes. eek.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11492 of 14824 Old 12-02-2012, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 38
This is why I opted not to buy the elite.

You guys seem content throwing good money at product that has flaws from company corner cutting. Perhaps I'm just old school that way in wanting a product that will hold up. Amps, speakers, and other components I buy last years and years, and I never have issue with. It's a TV industry wide issue and I'm guessing those who disagreed with my point have succumbed to diminishing product standards. As for the other aspects, go shop at Best Buy in my area. Prepare to be impressed with their level of knowledge. Magnolia reps telling customers the Elite from sharp was discontinued a year and a half ago. It wasn't even announced at that point. And if you are the type of business that charges the customer the correct price and then tries to extort more money after the sale, I wouldn't want to buy from you either. Before this debacle, I've never had to switch TVs or do this juggling act. So is it a perfect storm? I'd say so. Trouble was I had a time frame BB locked me into switching my sets out within. So it was a rushed expenditure and what ensued was no fault other than the reseller's. Any reseller which chooses to conduct business by misinforming customers in order to make several short term sales gets what they have coming.

Customer service is important today and will continue to be. The US is a service based climate and not into the production of goods like it used to be. Wanting good info, educated staff, and a price that reflects the level of product quality are not negatives.
post #11493 of 14824 Old 12-02-2012, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 6423 Post(s)
Liked: 7019
What makes you think that if we disagree with your point of view that we have 'succumbed to diminishing product standards'? My Elite remains the best picture I've ever seen and I somehow don't attribute my admiration of the product a byproduct of me succumbing to 'diminishing product standards'. Perhaps it's simply a case of a discerning videophile choosing what looks best to him. wink.gif

post #11494 of 14824 Old 12-02-2012, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

What makes you think that if we disagree with your point of view that we have 'succumbed to diminishing product standards'? My Elite remains the best picture I've ever seen and I somehow don't attribute my admiration of the product a byproduct of me succumbing to 'diminishing product standards'. Perhaps it's simply a case of a discerning videophile choosing what looks best to him. wink.gif

I agree 100%. The fact is EVERY set ever made has issues, pick your poison. But if you want the BEST set available right now it is the ELITE (my opinion). Now weather or not its worth it , all depends on your budget. Even David K of cnet says for no budget shoppers he would recommend the 70 inch ELITE over the 65VT50. I personally would never even think of owning a plasma at my elevation 8000 ft above sea level eek.gif
post #11495 of 14824 Old 12-02-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYAUSWINTERS View Post

I agree 100%. The fact is EVERY set ever made has issues, pick your poison. But if you want the BEST set available right now it is the ELITE (my opinion). Now weather or not its worth it , all depends on your budget. Even David K of cnet says for no budget shoppers he would recommend the 70 inch ELITE over the 65VT50. I personally would never even think of owning a plasma at my elevation 8000 ft above sea level eek.gif

I loved the image of Plasma and the motion handling. Screen uniformity was also great. But it runs hot, is buzzing, uses a lot more power, and has the IR and BI. So I couldn't ever do plasma again.

Getting to the heart of the matter, it was how others decide to put down other "enthusiasts" over their experiences. If they were here first hand then they would likely have agreed with what I'd seen and likely done the same. But because they obviously can't walk in my shoes they resort to belittling. I don't mind others having opinions, we all have them. But to stereo type someone is silly.

I liked the elite. I just was able to see the pulsing on a few of the sets and because the TV had so many posts about faulty IR receivers and not powering up anymore, I was disenchanted. I can see the Cyan issue being minimal as I couldn't ever see it. But those flaws and how Sharp customer service handled the issue was a mixed bag. They were very nice and happy to help. However, I got worried when different departments and reps were saying conflicting things and it snowballed. When a TV starts to approach the price of a car I start to get a little overly picky. It's my right as a consumer and I've never put others down for their POVs. Just asking for the same courtesy.
post #11496 of 14824 Old 12-03-2012, 12:18 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1625 Post(s)
Liked: 1834
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

Also possible they contract out the mfr right back to the factory they are selling to Hon Hai, no?

Almost certainly what will happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Silly, Ken, calling himself a discerning videophile. smile.gif

In other words, I agree with Ken for the smiley challenged.

There's a saying about "everything in moderation". If only it was applied to well, you know...
post #11497 of 14824 Old 12-03-2012, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrettF77 View Post

I loved the image of Plasma and the motion handling. Screen uniformity was also great. But it runs hot, is buzzing, uses a lot more power, and has the IR and BI. So I couldn't ever do plasma again.
Getting to the heart of the matter, it was how others decide to put down other "enthusiasts" over their experiences. If they were here first hand then they would likely have agreed with what I'd seen and likely done the same. But because they obviously can't walk in my shoes they resort to belittling. I don't mind others having opinions, we all have them. But to stereo type someone is silly.
I liked the elite. I just was able to see the pulsing on a few of the sets and because the TV had so many posts about faulty IR receivers and not powering up anymore, I was disenchanted. I can see the Cyan issue being minimal as I couldn't ever see it. But those flaws and how Sharp customer service handled the issue was a mixed bag. They were very nice and happy to help. However, I got worried when different departments and reps were saying conflicting things and it snowballed. When a TV starts to approach the price of a car I start to get a little overly picky. It's my right as a consumer and I've never put others down for their POVs. Just asking for the same courtesy.

Best thing to do in my opinion is get the 70" ELITE from the same BB you got your 9 sonys from and if you dont feel like its worth it after 25 days take it back. You didnt seem to have any problem doing it with the sonys. Why not try the same thing with the ELITE (if they still let you back in to the store that is:D) except this time I bet you don't return the set. Also if you saw pulsing in the store model the settings and updates could play a very big role on how bad it was. If you've read any of the past 380 pages of this thread you have probably seen some posts about a firmware update that almost completely eliminates the pulsing, that coupled with the right settings and you may never see it at all which is my case. I've also read posts many members here who have had professional calibrations done and say its non existent in isf modes. All these things vary from set to set as well no two are exactly alike.
post #11498 of 14824 Old 12-03-2012, 08:09 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2701 Post(s)
Liked: 2910
Quote:
Originally Posted by obxdiver View Post

I got me one of those Darbletts. I have it hooked up between my Direct TV DVR and the Elite.
What a wonderful device.
I have mine set on HD at 55%
Any other Elite owners have one of these hooked up?
If so, what settings are you using?
They are an excellent product.
Quote:

The fact is EVERY set ever made has issues, pick your poison. But if you want the BEST set available right now it is the ELITE (my opinion).
Excellent statement !
post #11499 of 14824 Old 12-03-2012, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I had completely different experience with them and have taken them off my 632 and 844
post #11500 of 14824 Old 12-03-2012, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Back from a 2 week vacation in Japan and Taiwan. When in Japan, I had a chance to watch various HD shows on cable. Their HD streams are SOOOOOO much better than the crap we are getting here in the states. The level of detail and clarity is amazing. Skin tones are correct on almost all content I saw. Anyway, US content providers has a lot of catching up to do.

Also, before I left, I made a small change to better skin tones. I have verified the change with different content and the change is significant enough for me to post it here. All settings from before stay the same, just set Red Hue to -5.

My ArgyllCMS/MadVR 3DLUT Creation Workflow
My Sharp Elite Movie THX AV Mode Settings
--Aug 2011 Set, 2.2 gamma [ link ]
--Nov 2012 Set, 2.2 gamma [ link ]
post #11501 of 14824 Old 12-03-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3W813 View Post

Back from a 2 week vacation in Japan and Taiwan. When in Japan, I had a chance to watch various HD shows on cable. Their HD streams are SOOOOOO much better than the crap we are getting here in the states. The level of detail and clarity is amazing. Skin tones are correct on almost all content I saw. Anyway, US content providers has a lot of catching up to do.
Also, before I left, I made a small change to better skin tones. I have verified the change with different content and the change is significant enough for me to post it here. All settings from before stay the same, just set Red Hue to -5.

Thanks for the update on the settings. Do you know why the HD streaming was better in Japan? Just curious why were not using whatever they are.
post #11502 of 14824 Old 12-03-2012, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I've been reading these threads for a couple of weeks now. I'm replacing a 52" Sony and only have a space that is 61" wide. The largest set I could fit would be 65" but it might look crowded. Anyway I was considering the 60 Elite and the 65 VT50. I finally visited my local BB and they had the 60 & 70 Elite set up along with the VT50 65" and also a Sony 950.

After reading the reviews I thought the VT50 would be close enough and I would save some cash. The Sony 950 looked better to me than the VT50 but I'm sure the sets were not calibrated. The VT50 just looked too dim and I had them change the set to THX bright mode for a bright picture. Anyway after viewing the sets all in one room where I could see them at the same time the Elites were IMO the best looking sets there. I just ordered the Elite 60. I guess if you were viewing in a completely dark room the VT50 would have looked better.
post #11503 of 14824 Old 12-03-2012, 03:11 PM

KRGM1, enjoy your set, I'm sure you'll be happy.

I should add, I got a VT50 and watch football often during the day. The VT50 in THX Bright does a wonderful job during the day. It's not LCD bright, but I never find it dim, except when a commercial displays a white "card" at the end and I notice how grey it is. That's literally the only time.

Anyway, enjoy your Elite and happy holidays.

There's a saying about "everything in moderation". If only it was applied to well, you know...
post #11504 of 14824 Old 12-03-2012, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post

Has anybody that bought a EliteTV via an online source had any problems registering the product online or obtaining warranty service on it? I read the page on the actual Elite site and it says there are no "authorized" online dealers for these. I know Pioneer use to say the same thing on their Elite sets and they were everywhere but never heard much about any problems with anybody obtaining service.
Ready to pull the trigger today and just want to cover all bases.
Thanks.
Jim
I bought mine from Cleveland Plasma and had no problems registering it. Got the acknowledgement and eventually the extended warranty offer.
post #11505 of 14824 Old 12-03-2012, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 56
Quote:

Thanks for the update on the settings. Do you know why the HD streaming was better in Japan? Just curious why were not using whatever they are.
Bandwidth. Here they want to cram as much into the available bandwidth as the public will bear. You know, the ol' 10 pounds of ... stuff ... in a 5 pound bag rolleyes.gif.

Having said that, I must admit to being surprised how good quite a bit of HD content in DirecTV looks in my 70". That was a concern originally, but I've been pleasantly surprised.
post #11506 of 14824 Old 12-03-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDude View Post

Bandwidth. Here they want to cram as much into the available bandwidth as the public will bear. You know, the ol' 10 pounds of ... stuff ... in a 5 pound bag rolleyes.gif.
Having said that, I must admit to being surprised how good quite a bit of HD content in DirecTV looks in my 70". That was a concern originally, but I've been pleasantly surprised.

Yeah I was worried about the same thing but after a year with my 70" ELITE I gotta say I love the HD pq directv provides.
post #11507 of 14824 Old 12-03-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRGM1 View Post

I've been reading these threads for a couple of weeks now. I'm replacing a 52" Sony and only have a space that is 61" wide. The largest set I could fit would be 65" but it might look crowded. Anyway I was considering the 60 Elite and the 65 VT50. I finally visited my local BB and they had the 60 & 70 Elite set up along with the VT50 65" and also a Sony 950.
After reading the reviews I thought the VT50 would be close enough and I would save some cash. The Sony 950 looked better to me than the VT50 but I'm sure the sets were not calibrated. The VT50 just looked too dim and I had them change the set to THX bright mode for a bright picture. Anyway after viewing the sets all in one room where I could see them at the same time the Elites were IMO the best looking sets there. I just ordered the Elite 60. I guess if you were viewing in a completely dark room the VT50 would have looked better.

In my opinion with the blacks the ELITE can achieve, in a completely dark room, make it just slightly better than VT50. I know when it comes to the "CYAN" fiasco some feel like color is more important along with the great blacks of the VT50. Whereas I prefer the slightly better blacks and brightness for daytime viewing you get with the ELITE. Not to mention the only time I can notice the CYAN error is when I compare it with my 17" macbook pro (which is not professionally calibrated) and it's not as far off as some have made it out to be. Other than that I doubt you'll ever notice it.
post #11508 of 14824 Old 12-03-2012, 09:04 PM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2701 Post(s)
Liked: 2910
Quote:
Originally Posted by grxz View Post

Well, there will be no more manufacturing in Mexico:
Sharp Corp has agreed to sell three of its television assembly factories outside Japan to Hon Hai Precision Industry, a deal which would total about 55 billion yen ($666.91 million), the Sankei newspaper reported on Saturday.
The daily, citing sources it did not identify, said both companies have reached an agreement for debt-laden Japanese consumer electronics firm Sharp to sell its television factories in Mexico, China and Malaysia to Hon Hai.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/01/sharp-plants-idUSL4N09B0FJ20121201?type=companyNews
Hopefully the part about moving manufacturing to Japan is true.
All the units in the US are made in Mexico, make sense. Even Japan is moving jobs to cheaper labor nations.
post #11509 of 14824 Old 12-03-2012, 09:30 PM
mgp

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Mother View Post

Speaking of gear hooked up to an Elite, what voltage regulators/power conditioners are you guys using? If I remember correctly, the Elite is very particular about pure sine wave or some such thing. Would the Panamax M5400 be a good unit? Or something like it where I can shut off the front display? I don't think the display can be shut off on the Panamax.

I'm using a Cyberpower UPS model CP1350PFCLCD. It outputs a sinewave on battery power. Works great.

Sharp Elite Pro-70x5fd Display
Panasonic DMP-BDT220
Onkyo TX-NR3009 Receiver
Emotiva XPA-5 Amp
Sony PS3
Triton 2 L/R
SCXL Center
SS50 Surround
SS3 Rear
SVS SB13-Ultra Sub
post #11510 of 14824 Old 12-04-2012, 06:28 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 6423 Post(s)
Liked: 7019
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

Almost certainly what will happen.
Silly, Ken, calling himself a discerning videophile. smile.gif

Yeah, aint that the truth. wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

In other words, I agree with Ken for the smiley challenged.

Oh wait, you agree...and here I thought you were a bright guy. biggrin.gif
post #11511 of 14824 Old 12-04-2012, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

In my opinion with the blacks the ELITE can achieve, in a completely dark room, make it just slightly better than VT50. I know when it comes to the "CYAN" fiasco some feel like color is more important along with the great blacks of the VT50. Whereas I prefer the slightly better blacks and brightness for daytime viewing you get with the ELITE. Not to mention the only time I can notice the CYAN error is when I compare it with my 17" macbook pro (which is not professionally calibrated) and it's not as far off as some have made it out to be. Other than that I doubt you'll ever notice it.

Guess my last sentence wasn't clear. I meant the VT50 would have looked better in a darker room than it did at BB, not that it would have looked better than the Elite(I really don't know that).
post #11512 of 14824 Old 12-04-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRGM1 View Post

Guess my last sentence wasn't clear. I meant the VT50 would have looked better in a darker room than it did at BB, not that it would have looked better than the Elite(I really don't know that).

Ohh okay biggrin.gif. I agree.
post #11513 of 14824 Old 12-05-2012, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Seems most have left this thread by now so I'm a little late to the party but nonetheless have officially joined the Elite owners club. Pulled the trigger on a 60 inch after researching the VT50/929/950 and am very pleased with the television.

Does anyone use the TV speakers and if so, are there particular settings that are optimal? (mine seem a bit off) I do have a sound setup but still prefer just TV sound for regular viewing (i.e. news). Sound is coming from a Motorola DCX-3400 via HDMI straight to the TV.

Thanks everyone for the valuable information in this thread to make an informed decision!

LN55A950 2008 - 2012
Sharp Elite Pro-60x5fd (ChadB calibrated) 2013 - Present
LG OLED65B6P (ChadB calibrated) 2017 - Present
post #11514 of 14824 Old 12-05-2012, 08:57 PM

Liked: 10
What are you using to clean your Elite screen? I have finger prints everywhere and looking for a non harmful way to clean them off.
post #11515 of 14824 Old 12-05-2012, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgp View Post

I'm using a Cyberpower UPS model CP1350PFCLCD. It outputs a sinewave on battery power. Works great.

Hey Everybody - this is a worthwhile topic for discussion. A power conditioner can change the look of your display and the sound of your audio system. Who has a conditioner that improved the performance of their system?

My Panamax M5400-EX recently started having problems (it's been on steadily for 4 years), so I replaced it with a Furman Elite 15 PFI. The Furman can store extra power for peaks. This has had a noticeable improvement on sound quality - attacks are faster and more focused, and peak volumes are cleaner. I have a quality speaker system, but it's power hungry, and the extra oomph has made a difference. In the display department, though, there was a trade-off. A friend of mine reports that his LED TV had better contrast with the Furman. My Elite is brighter now, but - here's the downside - so are the black levels. I've tweaked some settings since, but can't get it quite as dark as it was before I put the Furman in the system.

I've heard that some power conditioners actually improve black level. Has anyone had that experience with their Elite? The Furman has improved the sound of my system so much that I think I'm going to keep it. (It's as if I upgraded my amp!) But I am a bit bummed about the black levels.

As for the Panamax 5400 - you actually can turn the front panel off on that unit, or dim it way down. A button on the front panel allows you to adjust the brightness of the display to your preference.
post #11516 of 14824 Old 12-05-2012, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Video Auteur View Post

Hey Everybody - this is a worthwhile topic for discussion. A power conditioner can change the look of your display and the sound of your audio system. Who has a conditioner that improved the performance of their system?.

People who take placebos, even when told they are taking a placebo, often report improvement in their symptoms too.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/dec/22/placebo-effect-patients-sham-drug

post #11517 of 14824 Old 12-06-2012, 01:09 AM
mgp

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by talems View Post

What are you using to clean your Elite screen? I have finger prints everywhere and looking for a non harmful way to clean them off.

I use a micro-fiber cloth that is lightly dampened with plain water to clean, and a dry micro-fiber to dry.

Sharp Elite Pro-70x5fd Display
Panasonic DMP-BDT220
Onkyo TX-NR3009 Receiver
Emotiva XPA-5 Amp
Sony PS3
Triton 2 L/R
SCXL Center
SS50 Surround
SS3 Rear
SVS SB13-Ultra Sub
post #11518 of 14824 Old 12-06-2012, 05:07 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

I use a micro-fiber cloth that is lightly dampened with plain water to clean, and a dry micro-fiber to dry.

Ditto here

LN55A950 2008 - 2012
Sharp Elite Pro-60x5fd (ChadB calibrated) 2013 - Present
LG OLED65B6P (ChadB calibrated) 2017 - Present
post #11519 of 14824 Old 12-06-2012, 07:43 AM

Quote:

I have the M5400, it works just fine.
post #11520 of 14824 Old 12-06-2012, 08:34 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Video Auteur View Post

Hey Everybody - this is a worthwhile topic for discussion. A power conditioner can change the look of your display and the sound of your audio system. Who has a conditioner that improved the performance of their system?
My Panamax M5400-EX recently started having problems (it's been on steadily for 4 years), so I replaced it with a Furman Elite 15 PFI. The Furman can store extra power for peaks. This has had a noticeable improvement on sound quality - attacks are faster and more focused, and peak volumes are cleaner. I have a quality speaker system, but it's power hungry, and the extra oomph has made a difference. In the display department, though, there was a trade-off. A friend of mine reports that his LED TV had better contrast with the Furman. My Elite is brighter now, but - here's the downside - so are the black levels. I've tweaked some settings since, but can't get it quite as dark as it was before I put the Furman in the system.
I've heard that some power conditioners actually improve black level. Has anyone had that experience with their Elite? The Furman has improved the sound of my system so much that I think I'm going to keep it. (It's as if I upgraded my amp!) But I am a bit bummed about the black levels.
As for the Panamax 5400 - you actually can turn the front panel off on that unit, or dim it way down. A button on the front panel allows you to adjust the brightness of the display to your preference.

I've tested various brands, and in my system (McIntosh, Anthem, JL Audio, B&W) and found the Richard Gray Power Company worked best. I'm using the 400s
Here's a photo and link to a review of the RGPC 400s
http://www.stereotimes.com/acc033100.shtml

Have a great day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Elite Black 70inch Pro 70x5fd Flat Panel 3d Led Hdtv , Sharp Elite Pro 60x5fd 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page