post #91 of 14595 Old 09-07-2011, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

Do you honestly need numbers to confirm what you can already see? Fact. Kuro blacks have been beaten long before this elite came out. I doubt this set would have worse blacks then any of the competing Sony and Samsung sets.

Whites. Uhh. When has a plasma ever had better whites. Let alone brighter image or better daytime viewing.... There hasn't.

A gallon is bigger then a pint. You wouldn't need numbers to see that. Same goes for this set.

Yes, 70" is bigger than 60".

You win.

COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 14595 Old 09-07-2011, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by jikdoc View Post

LOL, i'm hitting the same brick wall. you would think they'd get some samples out to nyc at least.

Expect to start seeing them early next week sometime. NYC will likely be the last to get them. From a logistics standpoint, they are the most distant market from the entry point into the US.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
post #93 of 14595 Old 09-07-2011, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGI View Post

I brought my 70" Elite home tonight and I am going to do an A/B comparison to my 65VT30 which i am quite fond of. Being a Pioneer Elite Dealer for over 10 years and loving Plasmas and falling in love with the VT25 and now the VT30, I am in for a interesting ride with this baby.

We are going to try and get it setup thurs night and I want to keep my VT30 near by so we can do some sort of comparison. I would love to actually run a HDMI splitter and run both Tv's at the same time but thats going to be tough.

I am really hoping that the picture stacks up to the press and pushes me into LCD/LED because I love my plasmas..

More to follow

Craig

this will be one to watch for sure....

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #94 of 14595 Old 09-07-2011, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Rad, just tell me where that scene was and I'll look at it on my displays. But it wasn't where the other poster pointed out (0:58), that was a totally different scene.

It's Normal, I just viewed the scene again but this time on a Sony XBR and it's still there it's part of the movie. If you watch the scene you can see it's glare from the street lights. So everything is as it should be normal If you want to see the scene just put in the extended directors cut version it's right in the very beginning after the jungle flyby.

Sharp Elite PRO- 70X5FD 
Pioneer Elite VSX- 52 (A/V receiver)
Pioneer Elite BDP3FD (Blu-Ray) Player
Surround sound system: B&W (2) CM8's, (1) CENTER CHANNEL, (2) CM1 BOOKSHELF MONITORS's, (1) ASW10CM ACTIVE SUBWOOFER.
post #95 of 14595 Old 09-07-2011, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 45
Quote:

Rad, did you take your pics using a DSLR or a simple point a shoot? As I said before. I'm still very surprised there hasn't been any processing done by you in these pics.

Yes it's a Digital camera and the images look way better on the ELITE. The camera is washing out much of the shadow detail on many of the images. These pictures are again not doing the real picture I'm seeing in person justice. I'll try to work with the camera and figure out a way to get a more accurate pictures.

Sharp Elite PRO- 70X5FD 
Pioneer Elite VSX- 52 (A/V receiver)
Pioneer Elite BDP3FD (Blu-Ray) Player
Surround sound system: B&W (2) CM8's, (1) CENTER CHANNEL, (2) CM1 BOOKSHELF MONITORS's, (1) ASW10CM ACTIVE SUBWOOFER.
post #96 of 14595 Old 09-07-2011, 08:53 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Fact. Kuro blacks have been beaten long before this elite came out.

You're forgetting three key words. "In certain situations." There hasn't been a set that downright beats the 9.5g Kuro black level in all situations.

Quote:

Whites. Uhh. When has a plasma ever had better whites.

For this I'll point you to a post from D-Nice:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

White for HD and most everything else is x0.3127 y0.3290. No such thing as whiter that what is correct.

Bright room viewing I'll give you. It's a given that LEDs beat Plasma in that department assuming the light is shining directly on the panel.

Anyway, it wasn't my intention to go off-topic like this. My point was that while you may be 100% correct on all your points, until it's proven by extensive analyzing and calibrations, your facts are not facts at all. You should stop trying to pass them off as such.
post #97 of 14595 Old 09-07-2011, 09:02 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

Expect to start seeing them early next week sometime. NYC will likely be the last to get them. From a logistics standpoint, they are the most distant market from the entry point into the US.

That's simply not true. VE was the very first store in the US to get the 70" Elite on August 12th... The first 60" TVs arrived at his store on August 30th... The 70" TVs were only a couple days later...

Living Room: Elite Pro 70X5FD, Oppo BDP-93 Blu ray Player, and Yamaha Aventage RA-3000 A/V Receiver, Panamax M5300-PM, PS3 (60GB Fatty), XBOX 360 Elite 250GB, Nintendo Wii, XBOX HD DVD player, Logitech Harmony 1100 Remote

Bedroom: Samsung LNS4695 (First 1080P TV from Samsung) Pioneer Elite...

post #98 of 14595 Old 09-07-2011, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Mike Fury View Post

That's simply not true. VE was the very first store in the US to get the 70" Elite on August 12th... The first 60" TVs arrived at his store on August 30th... The 70" TVs were only a couple days later...

Value Electronics is not representative of other stores in the NYC area (or anywhere else, for that matter). Owner Robert Zohn was involved in the promotional launch of the new Elites and received special early access to the sets.

AJ
post #99 of 14595 Old 09-07-2011, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadTech51 View Post

Yes it's a Digital camera and the images look way better on the ELITE. The camera is washing out much of the shadow detail on many of the images. These pictures are again not doing the real picture I'm seeing in person justice. I'll try to work with the camera and figure out a way to get a more accurate pictures.

Well they look crazy good already. Thank you very much for all your insight and great pics.
post #100 of 14595 Old 09-07-2011, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Mike Fury View Post

I was not talking about VE. They likely had (much)smaller order quantities, that were able to be transported by more conventional means.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
post #101 of 14595 Old 09-07-2011, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiff69 View Post

Airgas has been on other forum discussions on other sites discussing this set prior to purchase - there is no reason to doubt his feedback.

Quote:

I see. I do not browse other sites like this. Avs is the only site I'm on. But it doesn't give me reason to doubt his word. Wrong or right. I apologize.

I second Spiff's post, as I have dealt with Airgas, and with dealing with him before, I don't question his intent at all...

As I was about to buy this set earlier today, and the picture is totally stunning, I still hesitated and figured I should wait until the hype has settled down A-LOT, and after some well known ISF calibrators from here has done an extensive review and calibration of this set, 60 or 70", to put to rest of any doubt where this set is compared to other models and to the REFERENCE kuro, then and only then will there be no question as to where this set is with any respect, and will put to rest any hype and or intent, just like when the last reference kuro was released, it was reviewed and made the marks to be the one to beat...
post #102 of 14595 Old 09-07-2011, 09:56 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

No. We shouldn't wait. Yes, its an lcd. Your point? Lcd tech has been pushing improvements for a while now. It's no surprise lcd tech has come as far as it has today. No one is forcing you to buy this set. Go buy a kuro if that's what you want.

seen this today i would say yes its the best led out but a Kuro Killer no dont think so, and for 7k no sorry...

Remember guys its a SHARP with the elite badge....

But yes i did find my next tv when my 151 dies...
post #103 of 14595 Old 09-07-2011, 10:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
It would have been nice if sharp or panasonic would have made a plasma with the elite name. In my dark room I just don't see how an LCD can best a plasma in areas that concern me when I don't need the extra brightness. I have a 151 and only would buy something else to go bigger and better, not just bigger. Plus in my opinion nothing comes close to the sound quality of my 151 which I feel isn't addressed much. I've returned tvs like a samsung LCD before my 151 just because the sound was horrible and panasonic isn't much better. Store demos are rarely accurate. I've seen 151's at BB and beside lcds they look dull but if you have a light controlled room you soon relieze you don't need all that brightness. I may go to the shootout if the panasonic vx300 is in it as I'm hoping something pleases me as much as my 151 but bigger but won't buy until I know for a fact that the little things that bothered me with the one LCD I owned are gone.

Mankite
post #104 of 14595 Old 09-07-2011, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I got to check the 70" out this evening and I must say, never since owning my ISF Calibrated Pro-151 have I looked at a television and thought that the overall image output was comparable, but tonight I was impressed. I am not a plasma fanboy, though owning the 151 may automatically put people's assumption of me into that category.

The store had The Dark Knight demoing and I just could not believe the picture that it put out. I sat down in the chair and picked up their remote and started fiddling with the settings. I sat there for a good half hour and critically looking at the picture and I came to the conclusion that, it is absolutely worthy of the Elite moniker that it endorses. It is not a perfect set, but neither is my Pro-151 (Shhhh don't tell the rest of the Kuro owners). The biggest negative to me was the off-axis viewing, but that is minor at best as well. I cannot wait to see some technical results from calibrators and the VE shootout, to see how this measures up to the rest of the competition.

Congrats to all the owners out there, you guys have yourselves an absolutely wonderful television!

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
post #105 of 14595 Old 09-07-2011, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

damn it!! I wish I could afford one of these kuro killers....oh well!!!

I have the sony HX800 which I like but lately I've notice these very light greyish bands on a white background which I haven't noticed before. It's barely noticeable but it's there specially when I scroll up and down a thread with white background. Sorry to bring up this off topic subject but is there anything I can do to get rid of it?
post #106 of 14595 Old 09-07-2011, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Sensui, my guess is there isn't really a motion issue with the Elite. The motion processing on my 929 looks as good as my Kuro 151. It may be that you turned off too much of the processing and some is needed.

You mentioned the blooming. Did you see this on or off axis? I know with my 929 there is very very little blooming on-axis, but a significant amount off-axis.

I'll be keen to know if an LCD can match plasma in motion without MCFI or reduction in eyeball tracking blur due to lower response rate.

And how much they are able to minimise blooming.

Keeping in mind that the panels are the same as the 732.

These are issues inherent in LCD tech which they are improving on, just a question of how much at what cost.
post #107 of 14595 Old 09-07-2011, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

every time I look at this pic I get mesmerized !!!

Quattron yellow subpixels in action???

irkuck
post #108 of 14595 Old 09-07-2011, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGI View Post

I brought my 70" Elite home tonight and I am going to do an A/B comparison to my 65VT30 which i am quite fond of. ....

Craig

Are you going to calibrate the sets or test with out-of-the-box settings?

While cross-species comparisons are great, hopefully somebody somewhere at some point will be able to do A/B between the Elite and HX929 calibrated...

irkuck
post #109 of 14595 Old 09-07-2011, 11:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck View Post

Are you going to calibrate the sets or test with out-of-the-box settings?

Extremely important.

Since movie(THX) mode on the Sharp sounds like its fairly well calibrated from the factory, it would put the VT30 to a disadvantage if its not also calibrated.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #110 of 14595 Old 09-08-2011, 03:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Here's a frame cap from the 3D bd disc. VideoReDo using VMR9. Looks a little different. More color variation in the eyes.

Hopefully I have the right to post here. I've put a deposit on the 70". Waiting for the room to be completed in the next few weeks.

-Roger
post #111 of 14595 Old 09-08-2011, 03:27 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
i cant find any Sharp Elite for sale, why is that?
post #112 of 14595 Old 09-08-2011, 03:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

I love that we've degraded to the point where a guy that owns the TV is being accused of not owing the TV by someone who makes trolling his business. Good stuff.

Ditto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iorek View Post

Could you point me to the calibration reports and/or calibration-based reviews that confirm these facts? Thanks.

It's all fanboy BS until we see more pro reports to supplement Kevin Miller's, specifically, umr and D-Nice.

Quote:

Do you honestly need numbers to confirm what you can already see?

Actually, yes.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #113 of 14595 Old 09-08-2011, 04:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked: 1333
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadTech51 View Post

It's Normal, I just viewed the scene again but this time on a Sony XBR and it's still there it's part of the movie. If you watch the scene you can see it's glare from the street lights. So everything is as it should be normal If you want to see the scene just put in the extended directors cut version it's right in the very beginning after the jungle flyby.

OK, good, thanks.
post #114 of 14595 Old 09-08-2011, 04:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked: 1333
Quote:
Originally Posted by gridleak View Post

Here's a frame cap from the 3D bd disc. VideoReDo using VMR9. Looks a little different. More color variation in the eyes.

Hopefully I have the right to post here. I've put a deposit on the 70". Waiting for the room to be completed in the next few weeks.

I too saw more differentiation in colors on my 929 for almost all of the scenes that Rad posted. But I'm certain this is due only to the inability of a DSLR to accurately capture all the hues from a screenshot. I've had the same problem with virtually every camera I've used over the years.

This is why you have to take these pix with a grain of salt.
post #115 of 14595 Old 09-08-2011, 05:20 AM

Quote:
OK, I just checked and that's definitely not the scene. Look at Rad's pix of the closeup of the actor's eyes. The right eye has a blue mark in the corner and the left eye looks normal. The scene at 0:58 in Avatar is very different. The scene is very blue and the camera essentially focuses on only one eye.

I just can't find that scene. Anyone have any ideas? Again, Post #38, first pix in that grouping.
It is the scene I described! As I wrote, the time is about 00.00.58h which means the same as 58 seconds (that's what my player shows). I looked very carefully at the pictures and it's 100% the same scene. It's the first time you see his face. At the very beginning of the movie right after the forest.

And yes as I confirmed before, the blue around the eye was also on my LG TV. So it wasn't the blue overdrive trailing.
post #116 of 14595 Old 09-08-2011, 05:28 AM

Here some of the pictures which show perfectly the blue overdrive trailing I had on my Sharp 46LE925e. They tried to fix it two times but couldn't, since it's a general problem of the LE925 and also the LE830 televisions (see the reviews on flatpanelshd.com).

The picture quality is kind of bad. The reason therefore is that you can only see the effect on moving objects. I had to take a video and then stop the video to get a picture of it. If you wanna take a picture directly from the TV you can't see the trailing. But it was very visible by eye and also it got worse with the time.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #117 of 14595 Old 09-08-2011, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post
I love that we've degraded to the point where a guy that owns the TV is being accused of not owing the TV by someone who makes trolling his business. Good stuff.
I'm not saying the guy doesn't own the TV, but I just find it odd he has a $6000 TV and doesn't own a digital camera. Hell, my free cell phone has a built in camera that takes decent pics with enough light. We offered to critic his setup if he posted pics, to see if his was mounted wrong.
Also, the one thing he keeps harping on, namely viewing angles, have been confirmed to be no worse than any other LCD out there by peoples whose opinions are respected. Maybe he is just not used to the drop off in PQ because he has owned a plasma, or maybe his couch is at a 45 degree angle to his set. Maybe he is sitting to close to the TV and it drops off quicker or maybe it is mounted to high.
post #118 of 14595 Old 09-08-2011, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetherhole View Post
I got to check the 70" out this evening and I must say, never since owning my ISF Calibrated Pro-151 have I looked at a television and thought that the overall image output was comparable, but tonight I was impressed. I am not a plasma fanboy, though owning the 151 may automatically put people's assumption of me into that category.

The store had The Dark Knight demoing and I just could not believe the picture that it put out. I sat down in the chair and picked up their remote and started fiddling with the settings. I sat there for a good half hour and critically looking at the picture and I came to the conclusion that, it is absolutely worthy of the Elite moniker that it endorses. It is not a perfect set, but neither is my Pro-151 (Shhhh don't tell the rest of the Kuro owners). The biggest negative to me was the off-axis viewing, but that is minor at best as well. I cannot wait to see some technical results from calibrators and the VE shootout, to see how this measures up to the rest of the competition.

Congrats to all the owners out there, you guys have yourselves an absolutely wonderful television!
the dark knight is an absolutely wonderful reference blu-ray to demo on the elite.

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #119 of 14595 Old 09-08-2011, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty7 View Post
damn it!! I wish I could afford one of these kuro killers....oh well!!!

I have the sony HX800 which I like but lately I've notice these very light greyish bands on a white background which I haven't noticed before. It's barely noticeable but it's there specially when I scroll up and down a thread with white background. Sorry to bring up this off topic subject but is there anything I can do to get rid of it?
kuro killers

i wish this would be put to rest, it is a great set w/ the ld in action. however, calling it a kuro killer is just over the top. they both have there strengths and weaknesses. neither one totally out performance one another.

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #120 of 14595 Old 09-08-2011, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by specuvestor View Post
I'll be keen to know if an LCD can match plasma in motion without MCFI or reduction in eyeball tracking blur due to lower response rate.

And how much they are able to minimise blooming.

Keeping in mind that the panels are the same as the 732.

These are issues inherent in LCD tech which they are improving on, just a question of how much at what cost.
LCD can match plasma in motion

no it cannot....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Elite Black 70inch Pro 70x5fd Flat Panel 3d Led Hdtv , Sharp Elite Pro 60x5fd 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 70x5fd by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page