Official Sharp Elite PRO-70X5 and 60X5 Owners Thread - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1171 of 14585 Old 09-28-2011, 09:14 AM
Member
 
trcnet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello all,

Coming up on 1 week living with a Elite Pro-60X5. This thing just keeps on getting better and better with break-in, more so than other sets I'm aware of. PQ is just stunning!!! I don't see how blacks can get any better, they're blacker than the bezel!

No pulsating backgrounds here in any picture mode. Ken/Airgas, can you think of a specific scene from a movie that will show this anomaly?




The only problem I seem to be having and I'm hoping some good settings or if needed a good pro-calibration will rid of ..... is YELLOW. I'm always aware of the yellow pixel both good and bad. To my eye it makes its presence known and leaves its finger prints on everything it touches regarding color fidelity. I'm surprised no one else is bothered by this.

But, overall I have to say this set is just knocking my socks off!

best,
Tom
trcnet is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1172 of 14585 Old 09-28-2011, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
thestewman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NW Chicago
Posts: 1,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

Rogo can U link that press release ?

Sharp Press release on 80" LC-80LE632U

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1363281

Stew
thestewman is offline  
post #1173 of 14585 Old 09-28-2011, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
johnnybrulez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,680
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorman42 View Post

I know that, I have seen that mentioned. It's just that until I see it in person I'm extremely wary of haloing, blooming and the like. Although, to be honest, if it's at those levels with the function off... it's probably really, really good (meaning that blooming and halos should not be higher than 0.009 and often lower than that).

.009 is still extremely good for a flat panel. I believe the Kuros hit .001 or less but that panel is one in the few...?

Sure, I think on the Elite it wouldn't render a scene such as a black space against an array of stars with a carrier going by as well as a Kuro... but an extremely dark scene with few highlights I believe would be better.

I wonder how much the static contrast will be missed. Ken doesn't seem too bothered by it...

I don't know what I am doing! AHHHHHHH!!!!
johnnybrulez is offline  
post #1174 of 14585 Old 09-28-2011, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
johnnybrulez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,680
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Just to clarify, DSE is not 'bad' (at least on my sample) relative to other LED/LCDs, but not as good as say the Kuro, even though the Kuro is not DSE-free.

As for the pulsing, only Airgas and I have reported it thus far, but I really have a hard time believing that it's only 'us'. Between the two of us, there are a total of 4 displays (Airgas' 2 current units, one he replaced and mine). Coincidence? Almost impossible to believe.

On my unit the pulsing does not appear in THX mode, but does in other picture modes. Airgas sees it in all modes. So in that respect there is either a difference in our units or a difference in perception of the issue.

I figured so. I was never bother by DSE very much. I never even noticed anything on my Kuro. I hope I won't be bothered by this Sharp. If pulsating is not happening on THX... no big deal then right? (Most owners would be dialed in there correct?)

I feel bad for Mr. Airgas with the DSE and pulsing. Are you still overall happy with the set Air?

On a side note.. is it me... or 60 inches is not as big as it used to be?

I don't know what I am doing! AHHHHHHH!!!!
johnnybrulez is offline  
post #1175 of 14585 Old 09-28-2011, 10:33 AM
Senior Member
 
KRiS1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 448
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybrulez View Post


On a side note.. is it me... or 60 inches is not as big as it used to be?

70 is the new 60
KRiS1 is offline  
post #1176 of 14585 Old 09-28-2011, 10:38 AM
Member
 
ERosenbrg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: California
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My 70" Elite PRO-70X5FD was installed by the Best Buy Geek Squad yesterday, mounted on my wall. It replaced a 70" Sony KDS-R70XBR2 SXRD that I had on a stand.

My first impressions were very positive - it looks like a picture frame on my wall...so much so that when I'm not watching TV, I've considered having it grab pictures from my home network and display expensive artwork that I can't afford anymore (because I bought this Sharp Elite!).

The picture is amazing, with deep blacks that are indistinguishable from the black bezel at night (unless I raise the brightness, which I did a bit last night for a 3D movie). The 3D effect is spectacular for the most part; there's a little bit of ghosting here and there during select scenes, but it could just be the specific 3D Blu-ray I watched (Monsters vs. Aliens).

I'm overwhelmed by all the many ways I can customize the picture, so at the moment I'm just using the pre-defined modes and switching through them for each movie/show until I find one I like at that moment. I'm sure I'll eventually find a favorite. I'm getting an ISF calibration in early November after the TV has been running for over 100 hours, so that should improve things even more.

Despite all the good, though, my experience with this TV has soured because:

1) The Sharp Elite doesn't have a picture-in-picture function. When did TVs stop including this? I used the PiP function on my Sony to view my front door security cameras via 'Tuner' while still watching DirecTV on 'HDMI'. Now when someone rings the doorbell, I have to completely switch to that tuner input (which is a coaxial cable to my Greyfox cameras). On days when I'm monitoring kids in the back yard via the security cams, I can't now also watch TV at the same time to pass the minutes. Grrrrr.

2) The TV only has one USB port to charge the 3D glasses. This wouldn't be an issue if the manual didn't explicitly state not to plug in the 3D glasses into any other USB port (like into my computer's ports). We have four pairs of glasses, which makes keeping them all charged a real pain because the TV doesn't include multiple USB charging ports.

3) The Sharp remote doesn't have the ability to switch to a specific Input directly. Instead, I have to open the Input list and then scroll down to the one I want. This is especially frustrating because I'm not able to program my Harmony 880 universal remote to easily switch inputs like I could on the Sony. My wife flipped out when I told her she now had to hold the remote steady at the TV for up to 7 seconds while it dutifully scrolled through the list each time she changed Activities. So I eventually programmed the remote to believe there was only one input, and now I manually select the one I'm actually using. What a pain, either way!

Contrary to other posts in this thread, I had no trouble contacting the Elite customer service. I called four times over the course of the day, and each time my call was answered within 1 minute. Three out of the four knew the answer to my respective questions immediately, and the fourth figured it out after consulting his copy of the manual.

So....I love this TV, but it's so unfortunate that all I'm thinking about are the above three issues. I'm glad my eyes aren't sophisticated enough to notice any of the detailed issued being discussed here (DSE? PQ? 0.0002fL with LD off? CMS controls? 141FD codes? Static contrast?)

Since I'm obviously a newbie on this thread, flame away at my ignorance! All I ask is that your well-deserved flames contain helpful information that will enable me to rise above my relatively inexperienced skill level If anyone has information about how any of these three issues might be overcome, I'd greatly appreciate your response. (I saw something earlier about a URC remote and RS232, but I don't know what those are.)
ERosenbrg is offline  
post #1177 of 14585 Old 09-28-2011, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
ManWithAPlan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 808
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERosenbrg View Post

My 70" Elite PRO-70X5FD was installed by the Best Buy Geek Squad yesterday, mounted on my wall. It replaced a 70" Sony KDS-R70XBR2 SXRD that I had on a stand.

My first impressions were very positive - it looks like a picture frame on my wall...so much so that when I'm not watching TV, I've considered having it grab pictures from my home network and display expensive artwork that I can't afford anymore (because I bought this Sharp Elite!).

The picture is amazing, with deep blacks that are indistinguishable from the black bezel at night (unless I raise the brightness, which I did a bit last night for a 3D movie). The 3D effect is spectacular for the most part; there's a little bit of ghosting here and there during select scenes, but it could just be the specific 3D Blu-ray I watched (Monsters vs. Aliens).

I'm overwhelmed by all the many ways I can customize the picture, so at the moment I'm just using the pre-defined modes and switching through them for each movie/show until I find one I like at that moment. I'm sure I'll eventually find a favorite. I'm getting an ISF calibration in early November after the TV has been running for over 100 hours, so that should improve things even more.

Despite all the good, though, my experience with this TV has soured because:

1) The Sharp Elite doesn't have a picture-in-picture function. When did TVs stop including this? I used the PiP function on my Sony to view my front door security cameras via 'Tuner' while still watching DirecTV on 'HDMI'. Now when someone rings the doorbell, I have to completely switch to that tuner input (which is a coaxial cable to my Greyfox cameras). On days when I'm monitoring kids in the back yard via the security cams, I can't now also watch TV at the same time to pass the minutes. Grrrrr.

2) The TV only has one USB port to charge the 3D glasses. This wouldn't be an issue if the manual didn't explicitly state not to plug in the 3D glasses into any other USB port (like into my computer's ports). We have four pairs of glasses, which makes keeping them all charged a real pain because the TV doesn't include multiple USB charging ports.

3) The Sharp remote doesn't have the ability to switch to a specific Input directly. Instead, I have to open the Input list and then scroll down to the one I want. This is especially frustrating because I'm not able to program my Harmony 880 universal remote to easily switch inputs like I could on the Sony. My wife flipped out when I told her she now had to hold the remote steady at the TV for up to 7 seconds while it dutifully scrolled through the list each time she changed Activities. So I eventually programmed the remote to believe there was only one input, and now I manually select the one I'm actually using. What a pain, either way!

Contrary to other posts in this thread, I had no trouble contacting the Elite customer service. I called four times over the course of the day, and each time my call was answered within 1 minute. Three out of the four knew the answer to my respective questions immediately, and the fourth figured it out after consulting his copy of the manual.

So....I love this TV, but it's so unfortunate that all I'm thinking about are the above three issues. I'm glad my eyes aren't sophisticated enough to notice any of the detailed issued being discussed here (DSE? PQ? 0.0002fL with LD off? CMS controls? 141FD codes? Static contrast?)

Since I'm obviously a newbie on this thread, flame away at my ignorance! All I ask is that your well-deserved flames contain helpful information that will enable me to rise above my relatively inexperienced skill level If anyone has information about how any of these three issues might be overcome, I'd greatly appreciate your response. (I saw something earlier about a URC remote and RS232, but I don't know what those are.)

1. Yep, no PIP, noticed it here too. Not a big deal for me, no security cam's on my end! Well, not those kind anyway :-) Incidentally, the new DirecTV DVR the HR-35 or whatever will have built in PIP, but of course only for watching 2 different channels of DirecTV at the same time....but since you mentioned satellite, I thought I'd offer that...comes out by Thanksgiving I think.

2. Nope, you're wrong here. There are indeed 2 USB ports to charge your glasses. I have done it already several times...check the back, there is USB1 and USB2...they both work for charging the glasses simultaneously even!

3. AHA! Well then, you need to get a real remote my friend. The Harmony should be able to do it, but I can't vouch for it. What I can vouch for is any Universal Remote (URC) brand. In fact, I created a device config for URC remotes and posted on this thread a few days ago. It indeed has discrete codes for Input selection, no need to scroll through anything. That's complete crap, and I wouldn't stand for it! But then again, you need a URC remote, and you have Harmony. But i'm sure they can do it too, just work with their support people and they'll hook you up i bet.

Enjoy the set, and get a little 7 inch monitor like I have to watch your "cameras". Long live the Elite!!!!!!

Brian
ManWithAPlan is offline  
post #1178 of 14585 Old 09-28-2011, 11:12 AM
Member
 
ERosenbrg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: California
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManWithAPlan View Post

2. Nope, you're wrong here. There are indeed 2 USB ports to charge your glasses. I have done it already several times...check the back, there is USB1 and USB2...they both work for charging the glasses simultaneously even!

I'll have to check the manual more carefully. I can barely see behind the TV because of the way it's mounted on the wall. I found the one on the side below the HDMI ports; is there a second one there? Time for me to get out the flashlight and little mirror!
ERosenbrg is offline  
post #1179 of 14585 Old 09-28-2011, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member
 
Scottyb09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Great White North!
Posts: 507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I recently purchased a 60" which won't be delivered for a few weeks yet. Question: I know that the Sharp Elite warranty is 2 years (like all other Elite products). Is there any significant advantage to having an additional warranty specific to a dealer within those two years or would the manufacturer warranty do the job? In other words, if I had an issue with the TV either early on or after a few months passed, how would Sharp rectify the issue? Forgive my ignorance if this seems like a dumb question, but I've always had no issues with any of the Sony or Panasonic displays I've purchased in the past. The cost of the additional warranty on a TV at this price structure is not cheap! Thoughts?
Scottyb09 is offline  
post #1180 of 14585 Old 09-28-2011, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dvdguru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Shelby, NC. previously in Charlotte
Posts: 1,186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My universal remote still has the codes from my Pro141FD in it and I can change inputs directly now instead of scrolling through them. That's a relief for when I'm creating macros Oh, and I just use the computer to charge the glasses. Alot easier that way...

Elite PRO-70X5FD!

dvdguru

Xbox Live Gamertag: AVS Steve
dvdguru is offline  
post #1181 of 14585 Old 09-28-2011, 11:17 AM
Senior Member
 
KRiS1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 448
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyb09 View Post

I recently purchased a 60" which won't be delivered for a few weeks yet. Question: I know that the Sharp Elite warranty is 2 years (like all other Elite products). Is there any significant advantage to having an additional warranty specific to a dealer within those two years or would the manufacturer warranty do the job? In other words, if I had an issue with the TV either early on or after a few months passed, how would Sharp rectify the issue? Forgive my ignorance if this seems like a dumb question, but I've always had no issues with any of the Sony or Panasonic displays I've purchased in the past. The cost of the additional warranty on a TV at this price structure is not cheap! Thoughts?

For what it is worth, it look as if by registering your set with Sharp, you get a couple extra months (3 I think) warranty.
KRiS1 is offline  
post #1182 of 14585 Old 09-28-2011, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member
 
ManWithAPlan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 808
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRiS1 View Post

For what it is worth, it look as if by registering your set with Sharp, you get a couple extra months (3 I think) warranty.

yes, 2 years and 3 months if you register with Elite.
ManWithAPlan is offline  
post #1183 of 14585 Old 09-28-2011, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
ManWithAPlan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 808
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERosenbrg View Post

I'll have to check the manual more carefully. I can barely see behind the TV because of the way it's mounted on the wall. I found the one on the side below the HDMI ports; is there a second one there? Time for me to get out the flashlight and little mirror!

Not surprised then that you didnt' see it. Its not on the side there where USB1 is. USB2 is buried deeper where the other connections for like Optical audio are. But it's there...perhaps your wall mounting doesn't make it easily accessible. Bummer...what happened to using articulating arms on these wall mounts? Not possible in your case? I don't wall mount mine, at least not the home theater room. The bedroom yes! And articulating arms are very convenient!
ManWithAPlan is offline  
post #1184 of 14585 Old 09-28-2011, 11:28 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
anthonymoody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: ny, ny usa
Posts: 5,650
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Sorry for going ot here but...

Rogo what do you make of the reported lack of yellow quattron on the 80"? Does that confirm these are coming off an older 40" fab? Or something else? Any implications for future products?

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
anthonymoody is offline  
post #1185 of 14585 Old 09-28-2011, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Fastslappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: La CasaSlappy @ SlappyVille,SF NorthBay,CALI
Posts: 6,775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post

Sharp Press release on 80" LC-80LE632U

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1363281

Stew

Thanx stew ! great news even stated more models to follow . plus these are NOT quatron panels but are X-gen but no 4th color

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
Fastslappy is offline  
post #1186 of 14585 Old 09-28-2011, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Fastslappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: La CasaSlappy @ SlappyVille,SF NorthBay,CALI
Posts: 6,775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyb09 View Post

I recently purchased a 60" which won't be delivered for a few weeks yet. Question: I know that the Sharp Elite warranty is 2 years (like all other Elite products). Is there any significant advantage to having an additional warranty specific to a dealer within those two years or would the manufacturer warranty do the job? In other words, if I had an issue with the TV either early on or after a few months passed, how would Sharp rectify the issue? Forgive my ignorance if this seems like a dumb question, but I've always had no issues with any of the Sony or Panasonic displays I've purchased in the past. The cost of the additional warranty on a TV at this price structure is not cheap! Thoughts?

Sharp has been trying to sell me a 3 year extended warranty on my 60 " for months $360 bucks & yes registering gets you 3 months extra 15 months total

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
Fastslappy is offline  
post #1187 of 14585 Old 09-28-2011, 11:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 23,965
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked: 1080
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorman42 View Post

I know that, I have seen that mentioned. It's just that until I see it in person I'm extremely wary of haloing, blooming and the like. Although, to be honest, if it's at those levels with the function off... it's probably really, really good (meaning that blooming and halos should not be higher than 0.009 and often lower than that).

Halos, blooming and the like are not a significant issue on the Elite. Sitting on or near on-axis, it's a non-issue.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #1188 of 14585 Old 09-28-2011, 12:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 23,965
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked: 1080
Quote:
Originally Posted by trcnet View Post

Hello all,

Coming up on 1 week living with a Elite Pro-60X5. This thing just keeps on getting better and better with break-in, more so than other sets I'm aware of. PQ is just stunning!!! I don't see how blacks can get any better, they're blacker than the bezel!

No pulsating backgrounds here in any picture mode. Ken/Airgas, can you think of a specific scene from a movie that will show this anomaly?




The only problem I seem to be having and I'm hoping some good settings or if needed a good pro-calibration will rid of ..... is YELLOW. I'm always aware of the yellow pixel both good and bad. To my eye it makes its presence known and leaves its finger prints on everything it touches regarding color fidelity. I'm surprised no one else is bothered by this.

But, overall I have to say this set is just knocking my socks off!

best,
Tom

Yellow is an issue and can be tamed to normal in the CMS section. There you can reduce the output of the yellow subs.

As far as the pulsating backgrounds, the only thing I can tell you is to look for a TV show or movie on cable with some very dimly lit scenes. In those scenes look for the background, such as a featureless wall, and watch this in non-THX mode...a mode like 'movie' mode (non-THX).

If you have a dimly lit scene without a featureless background such as a wall with no discernible features, you probably won't see it.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #1189 of 14585 Old 09-28-2011, 12:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 23,965
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked: 1080
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybrulez View Post

.009 is still extremely good for a flat panel. I believe the Kuros hit .001 or less but that panel is one in the few...?

Sure, I think on the Elite it wouldn't render a scene such as a black space against an array of stars with a carrier going by as well as a Kuro... but an extremely dark scene with few highlights I believe would be better.

I wonder how much the static contrast will be missed. Ken doesn't seem too bothered by it...

Johnny, to my eyes the dynamic adjustments are pretty transparent. I don't see an obvious contrast/brightness changes (other than the anomaly I've already spoken of).
Ken Ross is offline  
post #1190 of 14585 Old 09-28-2011, 12:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 23,965
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked: 1080
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybrulez View Post

I figured so. I was never bother by DSE very much. I never even noticed anything on my Kuro. I hope I won't be bothered by this Sharp. If pulsating is not happening on THX... no big deal then right? (Most owners would be dialed in there correct?)

The reason someone may not use THX mode is that they may find, as I do, that certain colors can be adjusted more accurately in 'movie' mode (non-THX).
Ken Ross is offline  
post #1191 of 14585 Old 09-28-2011, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
Scottyb09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Great White North!
Posts: 507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I get that I could get a few extra months (three) if I registered the TV with Sharp, but that's not my question. The question is what would Sharp actually do that may or may not be different from what a given retailer might do to help solve any problems while within the warranty window? My understanding is that Sharp would send some sort of tech person out, not unlike what folks with Panasonic plasma have been doing to replace their A boards.
Scottyb09 is offline  
post #1192 of 14585 Old 09-28-2011, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Speakerphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,951
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 161
ERosenbrg

As far as charging your glasses. you should be able to pick up any AC USB charger to plug into the wall. These can be picked up from any electronics dealer. Very similar to what most cell phones come with these days.

I would highly recommend a URC remote. While you can technically program these yourself, it is not nearly as easy as programming a Harmony. If you don't mind throwing a few bucks at it, I would just pay a professional to do it. You get a far better experience using one that was programmed by someone who has experience with their software. The trade-off is that they are FAR more customizable. I would also recommend picking up a radio frequency(RF) base station, as some command strings get pretty lengthy. This would allow your wife to just hit the correct button and not worry about aiming the remote anywhere.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
Speakerphile is offline  
post #1193 of 14585 Old 09-28-2011, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Speakerphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,951
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyb09 View Post

I get that I could get a few extra months (three) if I registered the TV with Sharp, but that's not my question. The question is what would Sharp actually do that may or may not be different from what a given retailer might do to help solve any problems while within the warranty window? My understanding is that Sharp would send some sort of tech person out, not unlike what folks with Panasonic plasma have been doing to replace their A boards.

Almost all large screen TV's have in-home service as part of their warranties. That said, retailers have some additional benefits as part of their plans. I would check with your local retailers on the specific details of their respective plans. The additional coverage they offer may or may not be worth it for you. That is something you will have to decide yourself. Some people swear by them, and yet others never even consider purchasing them. If you don't mind paying a little extra, it never hurts to have peace of mind.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
Speakerphile is offline  
post #1194 of 14585 Old 09-28-2011, 01:02 PM
Senior Member
 
AZREOSpecialist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyb09 View Post

I get that I could get a few extra months (three) if I registered the TV with Sharp, but that's not my question. The question is what would Sharp actually do that may or may not be different from what a given retailer might do to help solve any problems while within the warranty window? My understanding is that Sharp would send some sort of tech person out, not unlike what folks with Panasonic plasma have been doing to replace their A boards.

I dont' know about TVs, but generally my experience with 3rd party warranties has been poor. If you can get an extended warranty from the manufacturer (not a 3rd party), that would be the best option. At least you know the manufacturer will stand behind the warranty and product.
AZREOSpecialist is offline  
post #1195 of 14585 Old 09-28-2011, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Fanaticalism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,394
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZREOSpecialist View Post

I dont' know about TVs, but generally my experience with 3rd party warranties has been poor. If you can get an extended warranty from the manufacturer (not a 3rd party), that would be the best option. At least you know the manufacturer will stand behind the warranty and product.

Unless you buy a Vizio.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Fanaticalism is offline  
post #1196 of 14585 Old 09-28-2011, 01:54 PM
Senior Member
 
AZREOSpecialist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm a nOOb too!

I love this set. I agree with all of the shortcomings you mention, although PIP is not something I would ever use. The instruction manual states to TURN OFF the set before plugging-in glasses for charging, and then to turn on the set. This seems a little odd. Do you really have to power cycle the TV each time you plug/unplug the glasses from the USB ports? I haven't used them yet, so I'm wondering.

As far as picture quality is concerned, it's difficult to find any issues. I watched an IMAX documentary film available via Netflix streaming called "Dinosaurs" - in 1080p HD - and I have to tell you that I was treated to some of the most incredibly detailed landscape shots I've ever seen. I'm not kidding when I say that the image on the TV was clearer and sharper than looking out of my own window.

If we look closely enough with a critical eye, we can probably find things wrong with the set. Look at some of the recent posts regarding 0.002 black level versus 0.009, etc. I don't know what those numbers mean, but some people care about those things. All I know is that the picture looks great!

With regard to Elite Support, I called to register my set on a Friday afternoon and my call was immediately picked up by Elite Support. No hold time. The representative linked to my TV, showed me the different modes, changed some parameters on the set, and walked me through the basic functions. I thought this was great! I received an email the next day saying my registration was complete and that I was eligible for the additional 3 months on the warranty, bringing the total manufacturer's warranty to 27 months (2 years + 3 months). No complaints about their customer service - top notch.

I am surprised to see Sharp introducing this expensive display in an economic climate that has other companies like Samsung, LG and Vizio canceling their planned introductions of 70" LCD TVs earlier this year. Sharp may have seen this as an opportunity to corner the 70"+ market, however they need to get these sets into the hands of reviewers. Word of mouth, even via the internet, is not going to move enough of these TVs to make an impact on the market.

Maybe we are all just unwitting participants in the most expensive beta test in history? LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERosenbrg View Post

My 70" Elite PRO-70X5FD was installed by the Best Buy Geek Squad yesterday, mounted on my wall. It replaced a 70" Sony KDS-R70XBR2 SXRD that I had on a stand.

My first impressions were very positive - it looks like a picture frame on my wall...so much so that when I'm not watching TV, I've considered having it grab pictures from my home network and display expensive artwork that I can't afford anymore (because I bought this Sharp Elite!).

The picture is amazing, with deep blacks that are indistinguishable from the black bezel at night (unless I raise the brightness, which I did a bit last night for a 3D movie). The 3D effect is spectacular for the most part; there's a little bit of ghosting here and there during select scenes, but it could just be the specific 3D Blu-ray I watched (Monsters vs. Aliens).

I'm overwhelmed by all the many ways I can customize the picture, so at the moment I'm just using the pre-defined modes and switching through them for each movie/show until I find one I like at that moment. I'm sure I'll eventually find a favorite. I'm getting an ISF calibration in early November after the TV has been running for over 100 hours, so that should improve things even more.

Despite all the good, though, my experience with this TV has soured because:

1) The Sharp Elite doesn't have a picture-in-picture function. When did TVs stop including this? I used the PiP function on my Sony to view my front door security cameras via 'Tuner' while still watching DirecTV on 'HDMI'. Now when someone rings the doorbell, I have to completely switch to that tuner input (which is a coaxial cable to my Greyfox cameras). On days when I'm monitoring kids in the back yard via the security cams, I can't now also watch TV at the same time to pass the minutes. Grrrrr.

2) The TV only has one USB port to charge the 3D glasses. This wouldn't be an issue if the manual didn't explicitly state not to plug in the 3D glasses into any other USB port (like into my computer's ports). We have four pairs of glasses, which makes keeping them all charged a real pain because the TV doesn't include multiple USB charging ports.

3) The Sharp remote doesn't have the ability to switch to a specific Input directly. Instead, I have to open the Input list and then scroll down to the one I want. This is especially frustrating because I'm not able to program my Harmony 880 universal remote to easily switch inputs like I could on the Sony. My wife flipped out when I told her she now had to hold the remote steady at the TV for up to 7 seconds while it dutifully scrolled through the list each time she changed Activities. So I eventually programmed the remote to believe there was only one input, and now I manually select the one I'm actually using. What a pain, either way!

Contrary to other posts in this thread, I had no trouble contacting the Elite customer service. I called four times over the course of the day, and each time my call was answered within 1 minute. Three out of the four knew the answer to my respective questions immediately, and the fourth figured it out after consulting his copy of the manual.

So....I love this TV, but it's so unfortunate that all I'm thinking about are the above three issues. I'm glad my eyes aren't sophisticated enough to notice any of the detailed issued being discussed here (DSE? PQ? 0.0002fL with LD off? CMS controls? 141FD codes? Static contrast?)

Since I'm obviously a newbie on this thread, flame away at my ignorance! All I ask is that your well-deserved flames contain helpful information that will enable me to rise above my relatively inexperienced skill level If anyone has information about how any of these three issues might be overcome, I'd greatly appreciate your response. (I saw something earlier about a URC remote and RS232, but I don't know what those are.)

AZREOSpecialist is offline  
post #1197 of 14585 Old 09-28-2011, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
Scottyb09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Great White North!
Posts: 507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm considering buying an extended warranty from Sharp. I've decided against purchasing the warranty from the retailer because I'd need to pay a significant amount for a two or four-year warranty and each considers the two year warranty from Sharp null and void (i.e., it's not two years from Sharp + two or four from the retailer = four or six years overall).
Scottyb09 is offline  
post #1198 of 14585 Old 09-28-2011, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Fastslappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: La CasaSlappy @ SlappyVille,SF NorthBay,CALI
Posts: 6,775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
I considered the Sharp 3 year when my 60" hit the 15 month mark, but most if any problems crop up in the 1st few months with any Display .Soo that cash went into the saving account for the 80"
BTW what are they charging for the 3 year warranty? for the Elite ??

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
Fastslappy is offline  
post #1199 of 14585 Old 09-28-2011, 02:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 12,130
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

Sharp has been trying to sell me a 3 year extended warranty on my 60 " for months $360 bucks

That a little pricy.

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #1200 of 14585 Old 09-28-2011, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
RadTech51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 906
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Hello everyone, I Just got back from vacation and I thought I'd hop on and just say Hi real quick. Grats to those who got there new ELITES while I was gone.

 

Sharp Elite PRO- 70X5FD 
Pioneer Elite VSX- 52 (A/V receiver)
Pioneer Elite BDP3FD (Blu-Ray) Player
Surround sound system: B&W (2) CM8's, (1) CENTER CHANNEL, (2) CM1 BOOKSHELF MONITORS's, (1) ASW10CM ACTIVE SUBWOOFER.
RadTech51 is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Elite Black 70inch Pro 70x5fd Flat Panel 3d Led Hdtv , Sharp Elite Pro 60x5fd 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 70x5fd by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off