Official Sharp Elite PRO-70X5 and 60X5 Owners Thread - Page 429 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes
post #12841 of 14814 Old 03-27-2013, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Best Buy only sells service plans on product that it is authorized to service, which includes all Sharp TV product lines. I don't believe the Elite service tech gave you accurate information regarding that. Personally, if I already had the BBY plan I would not pay more to get the same coverage. Both plans have the same basic guarantee, repair it or replace it. At this point, as the Elites are going to be history shortly, and replacement portion of the plan will be with a new model. With the BBY plan you will have options from any manufacture, where with the Sharp plan (presumably) any replacement would be with a Sharp model, only. Since you already own the BBY plan not sure what you are going to get in addition with the Sharp plan. Save your money, or, better yet, spend it on a toy you will enjoy, as opposed to a service plan you will never use.
post #12842 of 14814 Old 03-27-2013, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks Hammer,with the Elite going away IMO there isn't a Sharp that will match it:s PQ so I will hope for no problems until they come out with another Elite(if ever).
post #12843 of 14814 Old 03-27-2013, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerStrike View Post

Hi all,

I just got a pro-60x5fd last night - it's a Nov build, but I checked it out at the Magnolia with some test slides posted earlier in this thread and, while I think I might have seen some area's of green/pink DSE, it was barely noticeable, if it was there to begin with - after reading this thread I became paranoid and was certain it would be there, so it may have been my imagination completing a self fulfilling prophecy. This location also had two 60" display models, with one definitely being a 2011 build, and I couldn't tell any difference.

In any event, my actual question is this. I have an older Denon receiver that still sounds nice, but does not have any HDMI support. I have a variety of HDMI sources that I could, in theory, hook directly up to the Elite and then pass the audio through to my Denon. However, as the Denon does not have any HDMI inputs, using the HDMI ARC is not going to be an option, so I have to use the TOSLINK digital out on the Elite to the Denon.

My concern with using the TOSLINK digital out is whether or not it can pass on the full audio stream (Dolby Digital, dts-HD, other variants of) that comes from an HDMI source, or would I be limited to two channel PCM. Anyone have any direct experience with this? The manual seems to suggest that it would be limited to two channel PCM, but I didn't get the opportunity to set everything up and test last night, and would like to pick up a new receiver on my way home from work if I need to.

Thanks in advance.

TIm

TOSLINK will only output two channel sound if the programming originates from a source outside the TV. You can get Dolby Digital if the TV is the source (using the internal tuner via OTA/cable). At least that is my understanding of how it works.

post #12844 of 14814 Old 03-28-2013, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerStrike View Post

Best Buy only sells service plans on product that it is authorized to service, which includes all Sharp TV product lines. I don't believe the Elite service tech gave you accurate information regarding that. Personally, if I already had the BBY plan I would not pay more to get the same coverage. Both plans have the same basic guarantee, repair it or replace it. At this point, as the Elites are going to be history shortly, and replacement portion of the plan will be with a new model. With the BBY plan you will have options from any manufacture, where with the Sharp plan (presumably) any replacement would be with a Sharp model, only. Since you already own the BBY plan not sure what you are going to get in addition with the Sharp plan. Save your money, or, better yet, spend it on a toy you will enjoy, as opposed to a service plan you will never use.

I am looking to get some kind of extended warranty as well. I did not get mine at BB. I'm looking at doing the Costco extended warranty. Sounds like a few on this site went that route.
post #12845 of 14814 Old 03-30-2013, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does anyone know if we can expect any more firmware updates? Will sharp at least keep the apps up to date and functioning moving forward?
post #12846 of 14814 Old 03-30-2013, 07:54 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelo2 View Post

Does anyone know if we can expect any more firmware updates? Will sharp at least keep the apps up to date and functioning moving forward?[/quote.

Very good Question, let's hope they continue to.

FamilyRoom: 65ZT60, Oppo-103, HR34, Slim PS3, AVR4520CI, Panamax 5300PM, Mythos St System, Dual SVS PB-12 Plus.

Loft: 60ZT60, Elite 23FD, Elite SC-25, PS4, HR24, Apple Tv, Panamax 5300PM, Mythos 2 System, Rythmik Audio 12SE.
post #12847 of 14814 Old 03-30-2013, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Looking for some advice here.

About 2 weeks ago I purchased an open box 60" from BB. About 2 days after I picked it up I start really examining it with solid color images (R,G,B,Y) and noticed quite a few dead pixels. All in all, I found 7 areas with one or more sub-pixels out (anywhere from 1-3 sub-pixels in a given area). Panel has a serial number starting with 2118 which means a Nov 2012 build date. Other than than, it seems perfect. Of course, in general viewing I can't see the dead pixels, but having that many dead is worrisome (and of course now I know they are there). Panel has about 500 hours on it. On solid color screens, I can see the largest of the dead areas from my viewing distance.

So I contacted BB and they sent a GS agent out to evaluate. He could clearly see the dead pixels and called Sharp who ended up saying that it was "within spec". According to the ISO specs, I think I am right on the hairy edge of acceptable (10 sub-pixels permanently out and 1 is flaky). I separately called the Elite line and they said they could put in for possible replacement, but didn't know if that department would do anything. Since I was concerned about my return period running out, I asked for them to hold off for right now.

So I went back to BB and talked to a Mag rep and the store manager and they started looking around for another open box to replace it. (BTW, they've been great thru the whole process)

Today, they found one and asked if I could go and evaluate it before they go thru the trouble of having it transferred to my local store. The store is close, so I said yes. I spent about 1.5 hours there evaluating it as closely as possible (hard because it was mounted high on the wall - they had t go get me a ladder). It certainly has less dead pixels, but still is not perfect (I know, perfect is asking for a lot). The screen looks pretty much pristine, no scratches. Used a microfiber to get rid of the schmutz on the screen and it seems all good. Here's the problem. The set has a serial number that starts with 1088, which I believe means a January 2011 build date and the panel has over 6500 hours on it!! (almost 6400 backlight hours)

So, would I be better off with a much older TV with that many hours on it (I suppose I don't have to worry about infant mortality)? Should I have them keep looking? There are other stores around showing open boxes available. In fact, there is one that isn't too far that is actually showing as CHEAPER than what I bought. Would you take that TV, ask them to keep looking, go evaluate the cheaper set and possibly return the current set......

Opinions?

post #12848 of 14814 Old 03-30-2013, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I would not be concerned about those hours on an LED. If the set looks good I would take it home and enjoy...and then get a professional calibration done ASAP.
post #12849 of 14814 Old 03-31-2013, 05:33 AM

Sharp will release a 70", 4k model, this year, according to CEA latest reports. Will that be the successor for the ELITE line?
post #12850 of 14814 Old 03-31-2013, 09:00 AM

Wow. What a spectacular picture. After following along with this thread from day one I took delivery of a 70X5 just this past Friday. I'm coming from a PRO-101FD and imo, the picture on this Elite is a step above it. The great brightness combined with perfect blacks is really a sight to behold. To be fair, I think my Kuro has a bit of the red tint problem, so the blacks were never quite as great as they could have been. The processing on the Elite is so much better than the Kuro as well. Even though I jumped up 20 inches in size, SD is much more tolerable on the Elite. I was surprised by this. I have a bright room and the 101 was simply unwatchable with the amount of sunlight pouring onto it at times. The screen of the Elite LED is quite reflective, but is much more watchable and maintains black levels much better than the plasma could.

I knew in advance I was getting a November build, but it looks like I got a good one thankfully. I immediately turned all of the power saver modes off and went to a white screen to check for dead pixels and the colored blobs. Fortunately, none to be seen. I haven't noticed any pulsing yet and am happy with the color. I'm just glad I didn't get completely scared off by all the pulsing and cyan tracking talk (almost did) because I would have missed out on a great set that is the perfect size for my cabinet and room.

So far with Darbee in the loop between my Oppo 95 and the Elite, I have watched Art of Flight, Samsara, Skyfall and Life of Pi. I know it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but to anyone that hasn't watched Life of Pi in 3D on this set, do yourself a favor and purchase immediately. It is simply phenomenal on the Elite. Possibly the best video I've ever seen (including the Sony 1000ES, double stacked Sim2 Lumis, various DPI's, Meridian 4K etc. etc.). Having rich images that simply pop off of a black hole of deep blacks is quite stunning. Chapter 17 (the whale chapter) was my favorite of the lot.

Big thanks to the guys at the Bellevue Magnolia (one of the original, independent Magnolia's here in the Seattle area that is not inside a Best Buy), great service and they were willing to make sure I got a good set. At my time of order last week, they still had 25 70X5's in their warehouse and they were pretty sure that not all had the November (211 serial) build date, but as shown by my experience and a poster a few pages back, not all of the November builds are bad. To anyone on the fence and especially those whose room is not ideal for a plasma, go for it.
post #12851 of 14814 Old 03-31-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFLUGSTA View Post

Wow. What a spectacular picture. After following along with this thread from day one I took delivery of a 70X5 just this past Friday. I'm coming from a PRO-101FD and imo, the picture on this Elite is a step above it. The great brightness combined with perfect blacks is really a sight to behold. To be fair, I think my Kuro has a bit of the red tint problem, so the blacks were never quite as great as they could have been. The processing on the Elite is so much better than the Kuro as well. Even though I jumped up 20 inches in size, SD is much more tolerable on the Elite. I was surprised by this. I have a bright room and the 101 was simply unwatchable with the amount of sunlight pouring onto it at times. The screen of the Elite LED is quite reflective, but is much more watchable and maintains black levels much better than the plasma could.

I knew in advance I was getting a November build, but it looks like I got a good one thankfully. I immediately turned all of the power saver modes off and went to a white screen to check for dead pixels and the colored blobs. Fortunately, none to be seen. I haven't noticed any pulsing yet and am happy with the color. I'm just glad I didn't get completely scared off by all the pulsing and cyan tracking talk (almost did) because I would have missed out on a great set that is the perfect size for my cabinet and room.

So far with Darbee in the loop between my Oppo 95 and the Elite, I have watched Art of Flight, Samsara, Skyfall and Life of Pi. I know it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but to anyone that hasn't watched Life of Pi in 3D on this set, do yourself a favor and purchase immediately. It is simply phenomenal on the Elite. Possibly the best video I've ever seen (including the Sony 1000ES, double stacked Sim2 Lumis, various DPI's, Meridian 4K etc. etc.). Having rich images that simply pop off of a black hole of deep blacks is quite stunning. Chapter 17 (the whale chapter) was my favorite of the lot.

Big thanks to the guys at the Bellevue Magnolia (one of the original, independent Magnolia's here in the Seattle area that is not inside a Best Buy), great service and they were willing to make sure I got a good set. At my time of order last week, they still had 25 70X5's in their warehouse and they were pretty sure that not all had the November (211 serial) build date, but as shown by my experience and a poster a few pages back, not all of the November builds are bad. To anyone on the fence and especially those whose room is not ideal for a plasma, go for it.
+1 It really is a special set, especially at 70"
post #12852 of 14814 Old 03-31-2013, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Just watched Detective Dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame - WOW! That BD transfer is wonderful. The cinematography is spectacular. Director Hark Tsui truly is an artist.

The range of lighting scenarios covers the whole spectrum from dark & shadowy with great blacks to bright & colorful and every combination in between. The palette is beautiful and neutral. The drama is right up there with Crouching Tiger too. Even the stereo English DTS Master HD is very enveloping for being just stereo and the dub actors did a great job. And of course great martial arts fantasy action.

Perfect showcase for the Elite.
post #12853 of 14814 Old 03-31-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFLUGSTA View Post

So far with Darbee in the loop between my Oppo 95 and the Elite,

Even with a great picture that this TV puts out, is the Darbee worth purchasing? From what I can see its an HDMI HD enhancer.
post #12854 of 14814 Old 03-31-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney1 View Post

Even with a great picture that this TV puts out, is the Darbee worth purchasing? From what I can see its an HDMI HD enhancer.

In my opinion, especially considering the rather insignificant price compared to this set, it's worth it. I honestly didn't feel it did much for my 50 inch Kuro from about 8 feet away, but with the 70X5, it's large enough that the increase in picture quality is noticeable. Even though the Elite has an incredible amount of "pop" by itself, the Darbee just amplifies that quality to take it to another level. Like mentioned in all of the pro reviews of the Darbee, the better the signal quality, the more the improvement. I only have it between the Oppo and the display and am not using it with my cable signal. I'm not using a receiver in this system and didn't want to fuss with an HDMI selector. Since the blu ray picture is so much cleaner than my cable, I feel that it is more effective at that position in the system.
post #12855 of 14814 Old 04-01-2013, 06:07 PM

Thanks MFLUGSTA. Now to my next question… I’m finding it impossible to find a rack system to sit this on because of the size of my center channel and number of AV components. I’m planning on building my own from scratch, so is there a specific height that you should have this TV at. Right now I have it sitting on an end table that is about 22 inches high and that seems to be ok.
post #12856 of 14814 Old 04-01-2013, 06:51 PM
Coyote Waits

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked: 2058
Quote:

Thanks MFLUGSTA. Now to my next question… I’m finding it impossible to find a rack system to sit this on because of the size of my center channel and number of AV components. I’m planning on building my own from scratch, so is there a specific height that you should have this TV at. Right now I have it sitting on an end table that is about 22 inches high and that seems to be ok.
It's good to have your eye level between 1/3 and /12 of the way up from the bottom of the screen.
post #12857 of 14814 Old 04-03-2013, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Movie THX settings for my Nov12 set. After viewing various gamma settings on the Elite, I went back to using a power gamma of 2.2 to calibrate the set. Looks best in my environment. wink.gif

34.5 fL
2.21 gamma

My ArgyllCMS/MadVR 3DLUT Creation Workflow
My Sharp Elite Movie THX AV Mode Settings
--Aug 2011 Set, 2.2 gamma [ link ]
--Nov 2012 Set, 2.2 gamma [ link ]
post #12858 of 14814 Old 04-03-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3W813 View Post

Movie THX settings for my Nov12 set. After viewing various gamma settings on the Elite, I went back to using a power gamma of 2.2 to calibrate the set. Looks best in my environment. wink.gif

34.5 fL
2.21 gamma

Thanks again newbie. sad that you have a newer version elite and your tweaks no longer apply to my older elite but you're effort and unselfishness is appreciated. biggrin.gif

BTW I never had a chance to ask but have you or do you use a darbee? Any thoughts on it?

PRO-60X5FD
PRO-70X5FD
post #12859 of 14814 Old 04-03-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3W813 View Post

Looks best in my environment. wink.gif

34.5 fL
2.21 gamma

Newbie,
x2 thanks for your settings. I too have a Nov12 and when you say looks best in your environment, what is your environment like? Mine is in a finished basement with only ambient lighting from glass block windows.
post #12860 of 14814 Old 04-04-2013, 06:06 AM

Liked: 13
Newbie,

I think your 2.4 had more pop but now I don't see those anywhere in your signature. Can you please re post those? I will save those going forward.
post #12861 of 14814 Old 04-04-2013, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakenergy View Post

Newbie,

I think your 2.4 had more pop but now I don't see those anywhere in your signature. Can you please re post those? I will save those going forward.

Just lower your gamma setting to -1 for ~2.3 and -2 for ~2.4. smile.gif

post #12862 of 14814 Old 04-04-2013, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktri View Post

BTW I never had a chance to ask but have you or do you use a darbee? Any thoughts on it?

Nope, don't have one. Thought about getting one....but I think my next purchase to better the overall video quality of my Elite will be either the Radiance Mini or the eeColor video processor. (To fix the color gamut errors using 3DLUT correction)
Quote:

Newbie,
x2 thanks for your settings. I too have a Nov12 and when you say looks best in your environment, what is your environment like? Mine is in a finished basement with only ambient lighting from glass block windows.

My environment for the settings I posted is a moderate to moderate-dim lighting with bias lighting behind my panel. Even though I would like to, my wife does not like watching movies in pitch black. :P For day time, I use the same exact settings except I increase the backlight setting depending on how bright my room is from the sunlight. I may also change IVC to Advanced Low when my room is REALLY bright. smile.gif

post #12863 of 14814 Old 04-05-2013, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have been just a lurker here, but I must thank you for your settings as well. I just got my Elite about 2 weeks ago and as good as it is, these settings have taken it up a huge notch and it is nothing short of spectacular.

The Elite moved a Mitsubishi LaserVue off the stand and initially, as good as it is in many ways, the MIts had a more natural film like picture. But your settings have smoothed it out greatly. No longer do I miss the good natural look of the laservue.

I have been searching through blu ray players, having had an Integra 30.3 and a pre/pro that would not pass 3D. I tried an oppo 103 and as much as I loved the menus and the features, the picture seemed washed out compared to the Integra and the sound seemed like a step down as well. Got a loaner 50.3 and the picture was a a bit darker and very rich colors but even tho the 50.3 has two HDMI outs the HDMI would not handshake with my pre/pro in AV split mode, so I had to use the multichannel outs. Sounded good, better than the Audyssey processed sound from my Integra 9.9 pre/pro. More punchy and transparent, although could benefit from some EQ. I dialed in my fronts with a nice 2 channel Meyer EQ But I didn't care for the menus and the bass management capability of the 50.3. Every time you want to change a setting, you have to go to the home screen, make the change, and then wait for the disc to load again. Yuck! The direct audio outs sounded better on the Integra than the OPPO 103. I was torn, since the picture looked better to me from the Integra even though it had a number of negatives.

So, still on the search. Did an extensive A/B test with a Cambridge 752 and the 50.3 at the store and initially the picture was similar to the OPPO, kinda washed out. But lowering the brightness in picture settings on the 752 got me very close, so I bought it. After I got it home, even though the higher quality DAC'S gave me a much better sound direct out, I thought that the picture still lacked richness in color compared to the 50.3 and I did not want to feel like I was compromising in this area. But after a bit more tweeking, I found a few clicks down on contrast in the 752 (-3 or -4 I cant remember and I am away at the moment) coupled with the reduction in brightness on the 752 and it is the equal to, or even better than the 50.3. The picture from that blu ray player, combined with your TV settings, is spectacular. Deep rich colors. Watched some Cars 2 and Toy Story 3. Incredible. And the audio is great too, Martin Logans all the way around with BSS amps

I believe that these settings would have probably gotten the OPPO 103 where it needed to get to as well picture wise, since it seems very similar in a lot of ways and uses a lot of the same stuff as the Cambridge, but the audio improvement with the direct outs on the 752 is well worth it, so at the moment, I am completely satisfied

Thanks again.

Dennis
post #12864 of 14814 Old 04-05-2013, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 37
The Magnolia near me still has a 70" model on the floor. I believe it is the original one that they set up when it first came out. Would it make any sense to buy this set, or am I better off avoiding it since it has been on nearly every day all day long? If I were to buy it, what do you guys think would be a fair price for it?
post #12865 of 14814 Old 04-05-2013, 10:09 AM

$4200 should be about right

FamilyRoom: 65ZT60, Oppo-103, HR34, Slim PS3, AVR4520CI, Panamax 5300PM, Mythos St System, Dual SVS PB-12 Plus.

Loft: 60ZT60, Elite 23FD, Elite SC-25, PS4, HR24, Apple Tv, Panamax 5300PM, Mythos 2 System, Rythmik Audio 12SE.
post #12866 of 14814 Old 04-05-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vybz67 View Post

$4200 should be about right

So let's assume that I could hypothetically buy the set for $4,200 (and I highly doubt they would go that low on it). Would it be worth it knowing that the set has so been on for literally thousands of hours? What type of theoretical life span do the LEDs have, and are there any other components in the TV that could be problematic?
post #12867 of 14814 Old 04-05-2013, 10:23 AM

I doubt there's more than 6/7000 hours on that particular set besides they are rated for 100000hrs or more. Just take a thumb drive with some solid color slides and check for dead pixels and screen uniformity.

post #12868 of 14814 Old 04-05-2013, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post

The Magnolia near me still has a 70" model on the floor. I believe it is the original one that they set up when it first came out. Would it make any sense to buy this set, or am I better off avoiding it since it has been on nearly every day all day long? If I were to buy it, what do you guys think would be a fair price for it?

I also got a floor model set(70 inch) that is an 8/11 build date from Magnolia. I was able to get it for 3600, since they didn't have the remote. I was able to get Sharp to send me one.

I haven't check how many hours on this, I'm assuming allot, but I don't care. The picture this set puts out when fed a good source, I have FIOS, is nothing short of amazing. I wasn't looking to buy this set, just happen to come across it. This Magnolia just wanted it gone, so they could have the floor space.

I would go for it.
post #12869 of 14814 Old 04-05-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vybz67 View Post

I doubt there's more than 6/7000 hours on that particular set besides they are rated for 100000hrs or more. Just take a thumb drive with some solid color slides and check for dead pixels and screen uniformity.

+1
I would think a "good" price would be in the low to mid $4k range. The hours on the set wouldn't concern me. Give them a low offer and see what/if they counter. I would sign up for the best buy card for 0% financing (another incentive for them to sell you the set BTW) and qualify you for a bunch of best buy gift cards. Get a pro to calibrate it and sit back and enjoy.
post #12870 of 14814 Old 04-05-2013, 02:55 PM

Hey guys, just got the 70" floor model from Magnolia and was wondering if someone can point me to a calibration guru in the SF bay area. I hear Kevin Miller's name mentioned a lot, but don't know where he works. Love the set, 108 serial number, and plenty of hours on it, but don't care cuz still think it is the best picture out there, IMO. My apologies if this information is already posted. Hard to find on over 430 pages of comments.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Elite Black 70inch Pro 70x5fd Flat Panel 3d Led Hdtv , Sharp Elite Pro 60x5fd 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread