AVS Forum banner
1M views 15K replies 806 participants last post by  SailorVenus 
#1 ·

Ok here are some snapshot pictures of my 70" ELITE! Sorry for the wait everyone please enjoy, I'll take more later but it's been a very long weekend for me. OH and for those of you still wondering, YES this ELITE is the Real thing! I was totally blow away with the picture quality and deep blacks! When I have more time I"ll write a review, but for now enjoy some quick snapshots.

See less See more
#8,561 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadTech51 /forum/post/0

I'm not saying that this is the case but sometimes professional calibrators depend to much on the numbers. There are situations where the numbers will say the color is perfect but it doesn't hold up true to the viewing experience. It's something to consider and always keep in mind.

Absolutely true Rad, and when you talk about a single color such as cyan at lower luminance levels, it's even more true. But you can always count on this old issue behind dredged up by a few whenever a great review is quoted. As I said before, just as during the Kuro days, these superlative 'best display' reviews drive some non-owners nuts.

#8,562 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy /forum/post/0

and it's amusing to me how negative comments, statements and reviews on the Elite bug some people and get them to rationalize or go into the head of that particular reviewer to psychoanalyze their 'true' motivations or reasons...yup I see the same thing with any TV...there will always be certain people who want to downplay any negatives for whatever reason

Don't think I've read such negative professional reviews on the Elite. Can you provide us with a link?

#8,565 ·
As a former Elite owner, I would concur with Chad's summary - the dse was bad on three units I had, and color tracking was well below average (Tom Huffman found similar issues on two visits to try and understand the set)

To me, the poor color tracking is why the image can sometimes appear over or undersaturaed depending upon content (excessive yellow was common, other times shifted or pale skin tones)

The internal cms is not fully functional, as certain controls have limited effective range, and/or have incorrect interrelationships...(ie adjusting a certain sat or lightness was affecting other primaries)

The ISF mode absurdly lock you out of any adjustments, even motion/film mode settings, which makes switching between various source types and accessing the optimal settings impossible.

#8,566 ·
I think one of the biggest reasons why content can appear over or under saturated is because content varies all over the board. I've seen that on my Kuros and every other display I've ever owned. Production styles vary from an overall over-saturation on shows like Miami to overly blue and under-saturated shows like The Killing to deliberately soft and out-of-focus shows like NCIS. Not only does the overall character of these shows vary, but scenes within the shows vary as the director establishes a mood based on the scene.

I've never seen a different rendition on my Elite as opposed to my two (now one) Kuros.

If these 'issues' were so bad, professional reviews would have picked up on this. I've yet to read one that did. In fact their comments are 180 degrees different than that, with most going out of their way to praise color. I've certainly never owned a display where I thought the color was better.

#8,567 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross /forum/post/22010210

I think one of the biggest reasons why content can appear over or under saturated is because content varies all over the board. I've seen that on my Kuros and every other display I've ever owned. Production styles vary from an overall over-saturation on shows like Miami to overly blue and under-saturated shows like The Killing to deliberately soft and out-of-focus shows like NCIS. Not only does the overall character of these shows vary, but scenes within the shows vary as the director establishes a mood based on the scene.

I've never seen a different rendition on my Elite as opposed to my two (now one) Kuros.

If these 'issues' were so bad, professional reviews would have picked up on this. I've yet to read one that did. In fact their comments are 180 degrees different than that, with most going out of their way to praise color. I've certainly never owned a display where I thought the color was better.

I appreciate this reality, but the variances were much more pronounced with the Elite than any other set I've owned. A five year old non calibrated 52" Samsung doesn't accentuate these content variances like the Elite, and my Sony 1000 projector out of the box has much more realistic color; paired with a Lumagen mini 3d, it is nothing short of incredible (as was their less costly 95 ES which I owned prior)

I did pair the Elite with a Lumagen as well, but the color decoding in the set itself is sufficiently creaky that similar tracking errors were present.

Greyscale however calibrated extremely well on the Elite..

What am I using now? Don't laugh, but a 2012 non-Elite 70 inch sharp (847 I think is th model). Color is moderately better, no DSE at all. Black are poorer, and it still has tracking issues, but it did not cost an arm and a leg and for everyday viewing, this set works well. If I were heavy into watching films as opposed to a mix of tv and sports, I would miss the blacks on the Elite more, no question. But I could never get past the color and dse issues, at that price point.

#8,568 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken ross /forum/post/22010210

i think one of the biggest reasons why content can appear over or under saturated is because content varies all over the board. I've seen that on my kuros and every other display i've ever owned. Production styles vary from an overall over-saturation on shows like miami to overly blue and under-saturated shows like the killing to deliberately soft and out-of-focus shows like ncis. Not only does the overall character of these shows vary, but scenes within the shows vary as the director establishes a mood based on the scene.

I've never seen a different rendition on my elite as opposed to my two (now one) kuros.

If these 'issues' were so bad, professional reviews would have picked up on this. I've yet to read one that did. In fact their comments are 180 degrees different than that, with most going out of their way to praise color. i've certainly never owned a display where i thought the color was better.

+1

#8,569 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by niualaals94 /forum/post/22010600

When you add up the the superior picture quality, deeper blacks, superior viewing in daytime lighting conditions, lower power consumption, the 3D ability, the fact it is actually available and especially the 10 extra inche

True, and it's sad how some choose to focus only the weekness and neglect to share any strengths. We all know that no display will never be perfect heck I wish the ELITE had better off-axis viewing, but that's just part of the LED technology. Now you of course could go Plasma or spend a fortune on one of those new OLED screens, but I promise you that both will have their own bag of worms to deal with. With all this said and done however I wouldn't trade for better off-axis viewing at the cost of my (deep inky black levels) or my retina burning whites etc! I Just love my ELITE!

#8,570 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Mike Fury /forum/post/21978853

Question for ISF calibrated Elite owners...

I'm watching the NY Rangers hockey game yesterday on ISF Day mode. The ice is yellow tinted. As a clear reference, it should be clearly white unless someone peed on it. Haha Have you noticed the same? I'm forced to watch it on something more natural and I feel pushed to watch it on User mode just cause the color is just not right on ISF.

It's the broadcast signal> I've seen several different Hockey Games where some ice is white and other blue tint and other yellow> this could be poor hardware de-ciphering all the colors.

#8,571 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang /forum/post/22010283

I appreciate this reality, but the variances were much more pronounced with the Elite than any other set I've owned. A five year old non calibrated 52" Samsung doesn't accentuate these content variances like the Elite, and my Sony 1000 projector out of the box has much more realistic color; paired with a Lumagen mini 3d, it is nothing short of incredible (as was their less costly 95 ES which I owned prior)

I did pair the Elite with a Lumagen as well, but the color decoding in the set itself is sufficiently creaky that similar tracking errors were present.

Greyscale however calibrated extremely well on the Elite..

What am I using now? Don't laugh, but a 2012 non-Elite 70 inch sharp (847 I think is th model). Color is moderately better, no DSE at all. Black are poorer, and it still has tracking issues, but it did not cost an arm and a leg and for everyday viewing, this set works well. If I were heavy into watching films as opposed to a mix of tv and sports, I would miss the blacks on the Elite more, no question. But I could never get past the color and dse issues, at that price point.

I honestly have none of the issues you speak of and from what I read here, most owners don't either. Sorry you've had this trouble.

#8,572 ·
This is a beautiful set, and obviously the best that can be found on the market actually after the Kuro.

It's extremely expensive (6K).

I believe most of people who bought this are ex-Kuro users, correct me if i'm wrong.

I'd love to have one of those, like i would have loved to have a Kuro back in the days. But i just cant spend that much money on a TV set. Too bad for me.

#8,573 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by brody76 /forum/post/22012579

This is a beautiful set, and obviously the best that can be found on the market actually after the Kuro.

It's extremely expensive (6K).

I believe most of people who bought this are ex-Kuro users, correct me if i'm wrong.

I'd love to have one of those, like i would have loved to have a Kuro back in the days. But i just cant spend that much money on a TV set. Too bad for me.

I never owned a Pioneer KURO, by the time I got back into the market for a new display they were no longer available. I'm glad it worked out this way though because I think the new ELITE is better then the KURO. Plus I now have a 70'' and I can't imagine going any smaller.

#8,574 ·
I heard the blacks are even better than the Kuro's, which is amazing considering it's an LCD.

Sharp is demonstrating that LCD can also achieve a near perfect image, but at a high price though.

But Sharp was smarter than Pioneer, it's only produced proportionally to the demand, lowering production costs (for example, only available in the US at the moment, where the demand for the Kuro was highest i presume).

I believe the LCD will fall when OLED and AMOLED will rise, but in the mean time this is an exceptionally beautiful TV, and i envy you guys a lot.

PS: anyone to lend me 5k ?

#8,576 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by brody76 /forum/post/22012816

I heard the blacks are even better than the Kuro's, which is amazing considering it's an LCD.

Sharp is demonstrating that LCD can also achieve a near perfect image, but at a high price though.

But Sharp was smarter than Pioneer, it's only produced proportionally to the demand, lowering production costs (for example, only available in the US at the moment, where the demand for the Kuro was highest i presume).

I believe the LCD will fall when OLED and AMOLED will rise, but in the mean time this is an exceptionally beautiful TV, and i envy you guys a lot.

PS: anyone to lend me 5k ?

True, also OLED and AMOLED will still have issues to overcome before it replaces LED completely. As with all new technology the learning curve takes time. Meanwhile I'll set back and enjoy the show, the market has yet to ripen with new display technology before it can temp me. ;p

#8,577 ·
I received a phone message at home from Sharp service plans asking me to call. It turned out to be an offer to extend my Elite warranty for an additional year for $97.99. This makes it 3.5 years. Given how much the Elite was, this seemed small so I said yes. Anyone else?

#8,578 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey94025 /forum/post/22013066

I received a phone message at home from Sharp service plans asking me to call. It turned out to be an offer to extend my Elite warranty for an additional year for $97.99. This makes it 3.5 years. Given how much the Elite was, this seemed small so I said yes. Anyone else?

I don't own one (even though i'd love to
) but for a 5k TV, good thing you've accepted. That's not expensive at all, and you're covered one more year.

You're never too cautious with that kind of expensive TV, so yes, 3.5 years is a good deal for 97$.

#8,579 ·
Hey! How come they didn't call me with that offer???

#8,580 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDude /forum/post/0

Hey! How come they didn't call me with that offer???

You can try calling 855-819-0105 and asking about it. I'm coming up on my 5 month purchase anniversary. They lookup your record by phone number but have a separate database for Elite products (couldn't find me at first but they called me!). Not a scam, had all my Elite reg info.