AVS Forum banner
1M views 15K replies 806 participants last post by  SailorVenus 
#1 ·

Ok here are some snapshot pictures of my 70" ELITE! Sorry for the wait everyone please enjoy, I'll take more later but it's been a very long weekend for me. OH and for those of you still wondering, YES this ELITE is the Real thing! I was totally blow away with the picture quality and deep blacks! When I have more time I"ll write a review, but for now enjoy some quick snapshots.

See less See more
#9,741 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdx  /t/1358702/official-sharp-elite-pro...hread-no-price-dealer-talk/9720#post_22195470

Hi everyone,

recently I became an owner of the 70" myself and while it's an awesome tv I have two issues with it so i thought I'd post here to ask for help before i open a ticket with Sharp.

1. The IR sensor on the TV works sporadically, both with the included remote and with my Logitech harmony. Sometimes it works just fine, and then all of a sudden it stops and doesn't register any commands. Has anyone encountered such a behavior on their Elite? I'd hate to have to go through a complete set swap for something so minor (but so annoying).

- I can't figure out how to make the ARC function work. My receiver (Onkyo 818) and the TV are both ARC compatible, I've enabled it in the settings of the receiver, and yet I get no sound whatsoever from the TV when connected via HDMI through my receiver.

If anyone has suggestions for either of these problems I'd greatly appreciate.

I use a Logitech Harmony One remote now to control everything works great and I've not had any issues controlling the Elite with it, as for the remote the Elite came with it works perfect as well but I don't use it much anymore.

#9,742 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdx  /t/1358702/official-sharp-elite-pro...hread-no-price-dealer-talk/9720#post_22195470

Hi everyone,

recently I became an owner of the 70" myself and while it's an awesome tv I have two issues with it so i thought I'd post here to ask for help before i open a ticket with Sharp.

1. The IR sensor on the TV works sporadically, both with the included remote and with my Logitech harmony. Sometimes it works just fine, and then all of a sudden it stops and doesn't register any commands. Has anyone encountered such a behavior on their Elite? I'd hate to have to go through a complete set swap for something so minor (but so annoying).

- I can't figure out how to make the ARC function work. My receiver (Onkyo 818) and the TV are both ARC compatible, I've enabled it in the settings of the receiver, and yet I get no sound whatsoever from the TV when connected via HDMI through my receiver.

If anyone has suggestions for either of these problems I'd greatly appreciate.

As far as the remote goes I have had the exact same problem. I was just thinking the other day "I wonder if anyone else has had this problem as well?" it will work fine and all of a sudden just stop responding. Happens mostly if I switching viewing modes or settings in the modes. I must say it only happens maybe once a week or so. Mainly just stops allowing me to "exit" or do anything. But in all cases I have been able to **** off tv and when turned back on it works fine.

Other minor annoyance I have with my set it if I switch back and forth between 3d and 2d viewing modes multiple times ( in say a 10 min span) the pictures gets all juddery and completely unwatchable. I have to switch inputs and then switch back (or turn off and back on set) to get it corrected.

#9,743 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb  /t/1358702/official-sharp-elite-pro...hread-no-price-dealer-talk/9720#post_22195017

I don't agree with above quote. This was started as an "owner's thread" which is a thread to share information and ask questions of other owners and participating experts/professionals. I don't consider it an appropriate thread for anyone other than owners "bad mouthing" the display.

I've followed the thread because I will probably buy the current Elite or next year's model. I currently have a Panasonic 65vt25 which has a great picture; but it also has plasma related issues inherent to the technology (sucks electricity, gives off lots of heat, and because of previous IR problems I feel that I must use a video processor to zoom/pan out any "crawls" and bright logos on news channels). The Elite is the first LCD I would consider to be in the same picture quality league as plasma; but I've held back so far on this year's model because of concerns about some of the discussed issues. I've felt no need to ask specific questions because anything I would ask or owner's know is already here someplace.

I'm definitely not going to use the thread to express my reasons for not having already purchesed the display. If I felt a need to discuss that subject, I would start a thread on "Why I've held off purchasing the Elite". By the same logic, my personal opinion is that many of the posters on this thread should give it back to the owners and start their own threads (e.g., "Why the VT50 is better than the Elite"; or "These are the reasons I hate the Elite"). I personally consider the act of non owners using an owner's thread to tear down that specific display to be somewhat like a guest in someone's home starting to criticize the home's decorating, etc.

+1000

I come here to discuss my set as this is the owners thread. Yet the past 1.5 months is nothing but people arguing over the VT50 vs. the Elite. Time to start a thread for that subject as it has been "beat to death here" and just seems to get rehashed every 2 days.

#9,744 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadTech51  /t/1358702/official-sharp-elite-pro...hread-no-price-dealer-talk/9720#post_22196025

I use a Logitech Harmony One remote now to control everything works great and I've not had any issues controlling the Elite with it, as for the remote the Elite came with it works perfect as well but I don't use it much anymore.

Were you able to get the Harmony One to successfully switch inputs on the Elite? If so, did you ID your Tv to the Harmony as the Elite or, as some have, as a Pioneer? I have been able to get it work with the help of Harmony tech support in a two hour session:eek: It works with a bit more of a delay, but at least it. works. The Harmony tech said something to the effect that the Elite had a different input switching system that the was a challenge for the Harmony remote.

#9,745 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaona  /t/1358702/official-sharp-elite-pro...hread-no-price-dealer-talk/9750#post_22196367

Were you able to get the Harmony One to successfully switch inputs on the Elite? If so, did you ID your Tv to the Harmony as the Elite or, as some have, as a Pioneer? I have been able to get it work with the help of Harmony tech support in a two hour session:eek: It works with a bit more of a delay, but at least it. works. The Harmony tech said something to the effect that the Elite had a different input switching system that the was a challenge for the Harmony remote.

Yes everything works perfectly If you select your TV under the (Devices) section of your Harmony remote, it should work exactly like your Elite's remote control. Of course some of the options will be on the touch screen portion of the remote not on the physical buttons. Note: It's completely customizable to, so you should be able to set it up anyway you like.

#9,746 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famouss  /t/1358702/official-sharp-elite-pro...hread-no-price-dealer-talk/9720#post_22194727

Yup, that is why I may sell my vt50 next year if the 2nd Gen Elites or new VT model get even closer or straight our surpass the Kuro in every way. The current Elite is a really amazing set and even though I own a vt50, I really envy the contrast ratio of the Elite but both these sets are surely the best out right now.
The one thing I do not understand is that Sharp, who owns Pioneer, invented local dimming technology a long time ago but never used it until the 1ST generation Elites where released. Local dimming technology, I believe, was first used by Samsung like four years back before they lost a lawsuit to Sharp preventing Samsung from making another Local Dimming unit. Boy, what a block that was........Samsung sued Sharp first and won, Sharp counter-sued and won bigger........One has to watch who's toes they step on.

#9,747 ·

Quote:

Hi everyone,

My friend also had this issue with his 70, but it was not intermittent. They apparently just replaced the sensor and not any major circuit board, so his picture was unaffected.

#9,748 ·
heres a pic of my elite DSE, its kind of hard to see in the picture but its a strip from top to bottom on the right hand side near the center. I have only seen it on dark gray screens so far. would you guys say its an acceptable amount? I just wanna make sure my 7k goes to the best set it can.

#9,749 ·
That doesn't look like DSE, more like lack in uniformity. I have a very slight one I can only notice on smooth whitish content, very seldom and mostly under panning conditions.

How often can you notice this under the usual content conditions?

#9,750 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma  /t/1358702/official-sharp-elite-pro...hread-no-price-dealer-talk/9750#post_22196949

The one thing I do not understand is that Sharp, who owns Pioneer, invented local dimming technology a long time ago but never used it until the 1ST generation Elites where released. Local dimming technology, I believe, was first used by Samsung like four years back before they lost a lawsuit to Sharp preventing Samsung from making another Local Dimming unit. Boy, what a block that was........Samsung sued Sharp first and won, Sharp counter-sued and won bigger........One has to watch who's toes they step on.
No, Sharp released a local dimming panel the same year Samsung released their 2nd gen LD panel (the 950). The issue was that it retailed for 10k, while Sony with a similar RGB LED panel was 4k cheaper.

They also do did not own Pioneer at the time. They were just a share holder. They became the largest share holder after Pioneer shut down their display division.

#9,751 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDude  /t/1358702/official-sharp-elite-pro...hread-no-price-dealer-talk/9750#post_22197252

That doesn't look like DSE, more like lack in uniformity. I have a very slight one I can only notice on smooth whitish content, very seldom and mostly under panning conditions.

How often can you notice this under the usual content conditions?

I have only seen it when Im using my blu ray and there's a gray s screen. I also see it with gray slides, that's really all.

#9,752 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism  /t/1358702/official-sharp-elite-pro...hread-no-price-dealer-talk/9750#post_22197261

No, Sharp released a local dimming panel the same year Samsung released their 2nd gen LD panel (the 950). The issue was that it retailed for 10k, while Sony with a similar RGB LED panel was 4k cheaper.

They also do did not own Pioneer at the time. They were just a share holder. They became the largest share holder after Pioneer shut down their display division.
I remember that, however that was not really a "full" release. They where on display at one confirmed store in the US and they sold maybe 10 of them nationwide righ t? That was like a soft launch. It never took off.

#9,753 ·
So best buy in chicago is saying they are getting no more stock (Hancock) or the 844 or Elite 70"..... They have no word "official" on new models but you can order them from teh web site.

Fry's in chicago also no longer has the 844 or 632 outside of stock or floor model....

Is best buy giving up or sharp giving up or new models?

#9,754 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross  /t/1358702/official-sharp-elite-pro...hread-no-price-dealer-talk/9750#post_22197009

My friend also had this issue with his 70, but it was not intermittent. They apparently just replaced the sensor and not any major circuit board, so his picture was unaffected.

Thanks for the info. I was going to look into this today. I only use the remote to power on the display (unless changing settings). What is odd is I typically must push the power button two or three times to engage but the menu button is okay from what I have noticed.

thanks

Rick

#9,755 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDude  /t/1358702/official-sharp-elite-pro...hread-no-price-dealer-talk/9720#post_22194067

Remember the Sony plasmas?

That was back when to me Sony = Can't-Do-Wrong. Boy did that change then!

I have over 100 e-mails and had the Sony lead tech in the NY area drop by several times until after six months they finally took it back. Not because the particular set was bad, but because the basic TV was horrible. Gradients were badly banded, image retention was horrible, and on and on.
The cost of that 42"? More than $1K than what I paid for my 70" Elite, in 2004 dollars. Yes, I consider my 70" Elite worth what I paid. For my particular situation, of course

Hardly a realistic comparison as I remember my first lcd cost $1450.00 and it was a 32" Panasonic, my next one was a 40" Samsung for $1200.00 which a comparable set can be purchased today for around $500.00. My first VCR was $600.00 and had a wired remote. It's a very commonly known fact that electronics have come down in price over the last several years and if you're using that as justification on spending for a TV then it's definitely flawed.

#9,756 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadTech51  /t/1358702/official-sharp-elite-pro...hread-no-price-dealer-talk/9720#post_22195884

I'd like to add just a few things if I could, no one should feel like it's an easy decision to make because it's not. Everyone has different needs and priorities will vary, I for one put Deep Inky Black levels above anything else on my list where as another person may want to put color accuracy or motion on the top, it's really up to the individual.

When you get right down to it, it's (Plasma Vs LED) that's the big choice here. Anyone trying to decide between the two should familarise themselves with the technology and the advantages and disadvantages of both. Price Vs Performance can't be the only deciding factor here, Plasma's and LED's have issues native to the technology and everyone should familiarize themselves with them. For example many people (will not) settle or live with one type of display artifact / fault native to the technology or not over the other even if they are saving lot's of money.
Regarding Plasma technology issues, here is just a few from the top of my head that apply's to all PD technologys yes even the V50 and I'm not including the specific issues native just to the VT50 but to all Plasma Displays, Buzzing or Humming, Phosphor Trailing, Image Retention, Screen Burn, Flicker, Poor Full Screen White's and Higher Power Consumption.

Now to LED's, they are not as simple because they vary greatly from unit to until because of the variance in the different technologies, for example you have Edge-Lit, Full-Arry, Full-Array with Local-Dimming, Full-Arry with (Hundreds More) Local-Dimming Zones like the Elite has for example over the Sony 929 making a huge difference. Also throw in on the Elite's side LED's that don't ever turn off completely giving you a much faster response times, all of these things add up to huge advantages over the other.

So you see it's very complicated and with the introduction of the Elite the game has greatly changed and most of the issues that have plagued LED's in the past are gone due to the new technologies, except for the Limited Off-Axis Viewing this is the biggest issue and plagues every LED display because of way LCD technology works, although it has been greatly improved.

Talk about generalizations. I have have two LCD's and a plasma in my house and my plasma has never buzzed, nobody has ever seen a phosphor trail on my plasma, image retention is a non issue with mine, screen burn? never and i don't baby it at all, flicker if it's there barely noticeable or a non issue, poor full screen whites? why do you watch a full screen of whites? and power consumption might add $30.00-$40.00 a year to my bill which means about $2.50 to $3.33 a month more. Hardly an issue.If we're going to correct misinformation then at least allow the bad guys to correct it as well.

#9,757 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTguru3  /t/1358702/official-sharp-elite-pro...hread-no-price-dealer-talk/9750#post_22198080

Hardly a realistic comparison as I remember my first lcd cost $1450.00 and it was a 32" Panasonic, my next one was a 40" Samsung for $1200.00 which a comparable set can be purchased today for around $500.00. My first VCR was $600.00 and had a wired remote. It's a very commonly known fact that electronics have come down in price over the last several years and if you're using that as justification on spending for a TV then it's definitely flawed.
You misunderstand me. I'm not justifying the Elite price in general because of the old prices, I'm just sharing my buying experience - I paid over $7K once for a crappy 42" TV, so now I'm very happy to pay less than that for a great and twice as big TV.

As I mentioned in a previous post, it's the law of diminishing returns. I bought it because for me it's worth it regardless. This is my experience. For you $7K may not be worth it. I totally respect that. Please respect mine

PS - I should correct the $7K in the last sentence, since my 70X5 cost significantly less ... cheers!

#9,759 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadTech51  /t/1358702/official-sharp-elite-pro...hread-no-price-dealer-talk/9720#post_22195884

When you get right down to it, it's (Plasma Vs LED) that's the big choice here. Anyone trying to decide between the two should familarise themselves with the technology and the advantages and disadvantages of both. Price Vs Performance can't be the only deciding factor here, Plasma's and LED's have issues native to the technology and everyone should familiarize themselves with them. For example many people (will not) settle or live with one type of display artifact / fault native to the technology or not over the other even if they are saving lot's of money.

Regarding Plasma technology issues, here is just a few from the top of my head that apply's to all PD technologys yes even the V50 and I'm not including the specific issues native just to the VT50 but to all Plasma Displays, Buzzing or Humming, Phosphor Trailing, Image Retention, Screen Burn, Flicker, Poor Full Screen White's and Higher Power Consumption.

Now to LED's, they are not as simple because they vary greatly from unit to until because of the variance in the different technologies, for example you have Edge-Lit, Full-Arry, Full-Array with Local-Dimming, Full-Arry with (Hundreds More) Local-Dimming Zones like the Elite has for example over the Sony 929 making a huge difference. Also throw in on the Elite's side LED's that don't ever turn off completely giving you a much faster response times, all of these things add up to huge advantages over the other

the issues with the Elite have absolutely nothing to do with the inherent limitations of LED vs plasma...I never have nor ever will bring up viewing angles on the Elite because it is not an Elite issue, it's an LED issue...the problems with the Elite are problems with the set itself- it is not accurate in terms of color (either due to the yellow sub pixel or something else)...and not just cyan and teal either...color not being subjective but rather based on a set of standards...standards are not subjective...they are based on a clearly defined set of numbers...Kenneth's exaggerated examples of a banana looking like an example are absurd...once again masking the issue by exaggerating it...why not compare the sky in Transformers 3 or dozens of other stylized movies?...pulsing is another issue that has nothing to do with it being an LED set

same goes with last year's VT30 issues...they were fixable issues and not based on plasma technology itself

as far as price...value is only what someone is willing to pay for a particular item...the Elite would be an amzing set even at MSRP IF the color issues were corrected...same way the Kuro 9G was the undisputed king back in the day regardless of the price...it was worth it back in the day because the set was flawless for its time (and no not comparing it to today's standards where features like 3D factor into it)...when the set came out it was worth the crazy price because it had nearly perfect blacks, colors, contrast etc...the Elite is not in the same class because it has issues which most videophiles would consider to be a dealbreaker...if you enjoy your Elite then don't worry about what other people are saying about it, just enjoy your set...if you're a videophile then you realize that paying $4500+ or $6500+ should get you a set much better then what Sharp currently has out there...cross your fingers for the Elite 2nd gen like I am

#9,760 ·
Adamd, that looks very similar to what I have on my 60x5fd; and that is the only real weakness of the set IMO (uneven screen). Well, I also hate having to cycle through av modes...

Question: aside from calibrated ISF modes, it is pretty widely accepted that Movie THX is the best AV mode; what would be the second-best AV mode?

I am getting my Elite calibrated soon, but until then, I'd like to have a second mode to switch to when watching normal FIOS programming (non BD). BTW, I think both movie modes are a bit too yellow and the standard too red, when watching (some) shows on FIOS. I've got a single HDMI coming from my receiver (on standby pass-through), so I cannot use THX for both.