Official Sharp Elite PRO-70X5 and 60X5 Owners Thread - Page 493 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

Old 06-10-2016, 12:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by magillagorilla View Post
Moth crawled up into my elite and died smack dab in the middle of the screen. Any thoughts on how to get the corpse out?
Directed stream of compressed air?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2016, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Neither suction nor compressed air worked, as the moth's body had dried up stuck to the backlight panel. I ended up having to take off the back of the unit, as well as the braces holding the LCD to the backlight pane. A ton of screws and about 3 hours later, was able to thread a wire hanger in between the LCD and backlight panels and wipe the moth off the backlight pane. Put everything back together and set is as good as news this am.
markrubin likes this.

Last edited by magillagorilla; 06-12-2016 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Neither suction nor compressed air worked, as the moth's body had dried up stuck to the backlight panel. I ended up having to take off the back of the unit, as well as the braces holding the LCD to the backlight pane. A ton of screws and about 3 hours later, was able to thread a wire hanger in between the LCD and backlight panels and wipe the moth off the backlight pane. Put everything back together and set is as good as news this am.
Impressive - congratulations

Reggie
Family Room:75" 4K HDR Sony 940D/Marantz AV8802A/MM8077/GoldenEar:Triton Ones (superseding Triton 2s),/SuperCenter XXL center channel/ SuperSat 60surrounds/Oppo BDP-105/Directv C61K/Roku 4K
Basement: 70" Sharp Elite/Marantz AV8801/Marantz MM8003/PSB Stratus Gold Front,Center,Left, Surrounds/ Directv Genie HR-54/Roku 4K
Old 06-12-2016, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiguy3 View Post
Impressive - congratulations
Thanks, although most of the thinking that went into this little operation was that of my friend, an actual scientist.

Just noticed that you have both the Elite and the 940D. I had been holding out on upgrading my elite in the hope that 77" OLEDs would drop in price this year. Since that does not appear to be happening, was considering picking up the 940D. Would love you impressions of how the 940D compares to the Elite.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, although most of the thinking that went into this little operation was that of my friend, an actual scientist.

Just noticed that you have both the Elite and the 940D. I had been holding out on upgrading my elite in the hope that 77" OLEDs would drop in price this year. Since that does not appear to be happening, was considering picking up the 940D. Would love you impressions of how the 940D compares to the Elite.
I have loved the Elite and still amazed at the picture. I do think the 940D has a better picture - The blacks seems to be just as good - Have not done a side by side comparison but watching movies at night the picture has been stunning - and watching streaming 4K HDR video has been almost as breathtaking as when HD tvs first came out.

The price drop from 8K to 6.5 is what made me jump. I also have this tv in a room full of windows so I needed something brighter than OLED - which is a stunning technology. No way would I spend more than 8K for a tv so that ruled out the 77" LG.

Reggie
Family Room:75" 4K HDR Sony 940D/Marantz AV8802A/MM8077/GoldenEar:Triton Ones (superseding Triton 2s),/SuperCenter XXL center channel/ SuperSat 60surrounds/Oppo BDP-105/Directv C61K/Roku 4K
Basement: 70" Sharp Elite/Marantz AV8801/Marantz MM8003/PSB Stratus Gold Front,Center,Left, Surrounds/ Directv Genie HR-54/Roku 4K
Old 06-12-2016, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiguy3 View Post
I have loved the Elite and still amazed at the picture. I do think the 940D has a better picture - The blacks seems to be just as good - Have not done a side by side comparison but watching movies at night the picture has been stunning - and watching streaming 4K HDR video has been almost as breathtaking as when HD tvs first came out.

The price drop from 8K to 6.5 is what made me jump. I also have this tv in a room full of windows so I needed something brighter than OLED - which is a stunning technology. No way would I spend more than 8K for a tv so that ruled out the 77" LG.
Thanks. Will pull the trigger.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Does anyone remember how to check the hours on these panels? I remember it being posted back in the summer of 2013.
I should of wrote the procedure down.

Ive got some stuff
Old 06-14-2016, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitygrp View Post
Not sure this is the correct place to post this, if not my apologies. However if anyone is interested I have a brand new in the box (never opened) Elite Pro-70X5FD 70-inch model that I am interested in selling. We were dealers & this piece was warehoused for a customer that when in a different direction. Unfortunately it was never put back in our inventory for circulation. If interested please send me a PM.

Thanks
Dennis
Dennis,
How much are selling it for? What state/town?
Might want to post it in the classified section too.

Life is a garden, dig it.
PRO-70X5FD, D2v, Oppo 103, JL Audio f113, Richard Gray 400S, Harmony one
Old Today, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hey guys. is the Elite 70" still worth to pick up for sub $2000, or am i better off just waiting for oled to drop more???

its also a bit risky buying used without a warranty...
Old Today, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 29
With HDR finally hear, while I love my elite, HDR is just stunning when you see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Today, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

That being said if you don't care about 4k and hdr it is still a stunning set. Even the Sony 940d has more blooming

Old Today, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo3492 View Post
Hey guys. is the Elite 70" still worth to pick up for sub $2000, or am i better off just waiting for oled to drop more???

I would say no. It was a groundbreaking LCD for when it came out and I am sure it's still quite above average but Sony's top LCD's as well as LG's OLED's have both surpassed it.

That said I have never personally seen it, but I do no many who have said the x940c is superior.

Last edited by Vader1; Today at 03:28 PM.
Old Today, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Except if you use it as a monitor - that blooming on the Sony (fewer zones) is so annoying after my elite. Hoping the ZD75 SONY is my next TV and put elite in bedroom

Old Today, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo3492 View Post

Yes for sub 2k but there are sets that do 4k now in that price range including Sony. But the Elite gives the best HD picture still (I have one still in addition to a 940D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Sharp Elite Black 70inch Pro 70x5fd Flat Panel 3d Led Hdtv , Sharp Elite Pro 60x5fd 3d Led Hdtv