Official Sharp Elite PRO-70X5 and 60X5 Owners Thread - Page 494 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 18Likes

Old 10-09-2016, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I agree with Mark. I have the 70 inch Elite and got a 75"940D. The blacks are as good and the 4K is stunning
markrubin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2016, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 132
I might jump in. Really want HDR gaming.

At 4K it's that or the vizio - vizio has DV which a lot of upcoming content especially PC high end games will support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-09-2016, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
I think this is the app: it costs $9.99: well worth it: please check for compatibility before you buy

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/simp...431497717?mt=8
Yeah, unfortunately only available on iOS, no Android.

Old 10-09-2016, 11:54 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I don't think that iOS app can remotely control a Sharp Elite TV without a working IR sensor. Perhaps your friend did replace the IR board and just/still uses his iPhone as a remote control?

The Sony 940D has a really good reputation but Sony's recently-announced XBR-65Z9D (65", there's also 75" and 100" available) is getting really good reports - even compared to the latest LG OLED TVs. The AVS forums are very competitive against each other. It seems to be a toss-up between the 65" Z9D and 65" OLEDs and the prices are comparable. The 75" Z9D is much less expensive than the 77" OLED so for that size the Sony is a better choice (unless price is no object).

You're lucky to have an applicable Best Buy warranty for your failed Elite -- I would take advantage of that credit to upgrade to a newer 4K LED or OLED with HDR and other modern features.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:19 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 994 Post(s)
Liked: 2182
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey94025 View Post
I don't think that iOS app can remotely control a Sharp Elite TV without a working IR sensor. Perhaps your friend did replace the IR board and just/still uses his iPhone as a remote control?
I can confirm, through actual testing and use, that the Sharp Elite can continue to be controlled remotely by RS232 and/ or IP control, including the IOS app, after failure of the IR board

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess
HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
"A system under which it takes three men to check what one is doing is not
control; it is systematic strangulation." - Admiral Hyman G. Rickover
Old 10-10-2016, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Sony 940D has a really good reputation but Sony's recently-announced XBR-65Z9D (65", there's also 75" and 100" available) is getting really good reports - even compared to the latest LG OLED TVs. The AVS forums are very competitive against each other. It seems to be a toss-up between the 65" Z9D and 65" OLEDs and the prices are comparable. The 75" Z9D is much less expensive than the 77" OLED so for that size the Sony is a better choice (unless price is no object).

You're lucky to have an applicable Best Buy warranty for your failed Elite -- I would take advantage of that credit to upgrade to a newer 4K LED or OLED with HDR and other modern features.

The app can. Uses Ethernet or wifi. IP control. It's on all high end stuff.

In fact is crazy harmony won't use this Am- I bet all your stuff can work. My denon 4200 has it, pioneer amps have it, even my 2014 vizio M has it. Logitech has been saying "soon" for 4 years

Old 10-10-2016, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In fact the app has more direct control then the remote - each picture mode is mapped!!!

Old 10-10-2016, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
I can confirm, through actual testing and use, that the Sharp Elite can continue to be controlled remotely by RS232 and/ or IP control, including the IOS app, after failure of the IR board
Very cool! That's a nice option for anyone with a failed IR board.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I so wish harmony would add this. 100% rock solid. I love that I can program "HDMI 2 denon, tv HDMI 1 , game mode tv"

You would be programming "delay, menu, ok, down down down down ok" and hope it worked with IR

Old 10-10-2016, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchmura View Post
I so wish harmony would add this. 100% rock solid. I love that I can program "HDMI 2 denon, tv HDMI 1 , game mode tv"

You would be programming "delay, menu, ok, down down down down ok" and hope it worked with IR
I have direct input selection with my Harmony remote. Their database has direct input selections (the codes may be from the Pioneer Kuro TV devices). Or are you referring to something else?
Old 10-10-2016, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

You don't have direct input of "game mode" do you? My harmony database (smart hub does not)

So with IP you can direct switch game mode to thx

Old 10-10-2016, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonvr View Post
Well, it looks like my IR board has finally given up the ghost (yesterday). Can no longer turn it on with my Harmony remote, nor the OEM one. Have to use the physical button. That makes the TV mostly unusable for a lot of things (changing inputs, watching Netflix, etc). It's still covered under a Geek Squad Protection Plan (until March). The part seems completely unavailable. Every place I searched says unavailable, no longer manufactured, or out of stock. None listed on eBay. My guess is that BB won't have any better luck, which means they either need to get someone to solder new chips (unlikely), or they'll need to provide replacement credit. Not sure how much they will give, but my guess is that the only things available that are even comparable to the Elite is an OLED, right?
There is a place in San Francisco area that used to repair most of the Elite remote IR boards. Anyway, I sent my board to them less than a year ago and they fixed it for around $135 + shipping. You have to remove the back panel to gain access to the board in the bottom right hand corner. It's worth a try. The repair shop was:

A-Plus Electronics
2111 Van Ness Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94109
415-474-2111
Michael Braude
aplus101 at earthlink dot net
Old 10-12-2016, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone seen a native contrast measurmebt on the elite? I am considering upgrading? To a 940d for HDR and slightly bigger - it has only 96 zones vs my elite 300 and some - but damn in demos it's so hard to see blooming and blacks look so good

Wondering if the native contrast on the Sony (5500 measured) helps vs the elite

Old 10-29-2016, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

A little update on my IR board repair. It looks like they are not going to be able to get the part (not unexpected). The tech still needs to come out and confirm the IR receiver is dead (I already know it is).

If I do go down the replacement route, I don't know what they will offer me (they claim they do it based on features, not price). I know the latest Vizio P series has been mentioned, as well as the Sony 940D and Z9D. Are those the only ones that are really comparable? Also, the 940D is a 75" which is too big for my space (I've got the 60" Elite). Is the 930D (65") the same quality? (edit: I just started reading some reviews - the 930D doesn't have the same backlighting system as the 940D so it is not the same level of quality unfortunately)

Of course the Vizio R series and the LG OLEDs also look great, but I don't think BB will let me go that high (without paying a differential). Maybe via the Open Box route though...

Are there others I should consider as a viable replacement that I have a reasonable shot at convincing BB to give me?

Old 11-11-2016, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonvr View Post
A little update on my IR board repair. It looks like they are not going to be able to get the part (not unexpected). The tech still needs to come out and confirm the IR receiver is dead (I already know it is).

If I do go down the replacement route, I don't know what they will offer me (they claim they do it based on features, not price). I know the latest Vizio P series has been mentioned, as well as the Sony 940D and Z9D. Are those the only ones that are really comparable? Also, the 940D is a 75" which is too big for my space (I've got the 60" Elite). Is the 930D (65") the same quality? (edit: I just started reading some reviews - the 930D doesn't have the same backlighting system as the 940D so it is not the same level of quality unfortunately)

Of course the Vizio R series and the LG OLEDs also look great, but I don't think BB will let me go that high (without paying a differential). Maybe via the Open Box route though...

Are there others I should consider as a viable replacement that I have a reasonable shot at convincing BB to give me?
Well, I got my phone call today telling me my replacement has been authorized. The model they offered is the LG 65UH9500 which looks to be nowhere near comparable and doesn't even have local dimming (it's edge lit). When I asked if there were any other options, such as the Vizio P series they said that they usually don't recommend Vizios since people don't like them and so they generally try to offer Samsung, LG, etc I have to imagine that actually means they get better pricing for those (or better kick backs) so they try to push them . The review for the Vizio are much better than the LG

http://4k.com/tv/lg-uh9500-4k-super-...9500-86uh9500/

So, my other option is a store credit for $2500+tax. At first I couldn't figure out where that number came from until I realized it was the selling price for the 65UH9500.

Opinions? I think I could probably parlay this into the LG OLED (open box) or the P series (since it is going for 2k), or maybe something else?

Old Today, 01:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miki Brickham View Post
I too have had the same green line problem on my Elite Pro 70. Started some time last Fall, 2014. Did you ever resolve the issue?
Hi, just got the vertical green line problem on my 2013 70 Sharp Elite, still covered extended warranty. They dont change the panel, offer another, subclass tv.
Any luck on how to fix the green line anotherway?
Thanks. Would like to keep my Elite...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Sharp Elite Black 70inch Pro 70x5fd Flat Panel 3d Led Hdtv , Sharp Elite Pro 60x5fd 3d Led Hdtv