post #151 of 14574 Old 09-08-2011, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post

The man's got a point, the Kuro is already dead.

Perhaps everyone can refer to the new Sharp Elites as 'Kuro grave stompers'?

Mark

L O L ... Yeah they don't Make KURO's anymore ! You can't get more Dead than that !

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 14574 Old 09-08-2011, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This thread is garbage. It has turned into junk, as always.

Its now another "vs. Kuro" thread. Stop talking about a television that has been discontinued..... Yes, its a great set...but its now irrelevant to ANYONE looking to buy an HDTV.

It will never be relevant again.

Anyone who wants to argue about The Sharp Elite vs the Kuro Elite, start a different thread named "Sharp Elite vs. Kuro Elite".

The argument is not helpful to the thread in anyway. its not like someone who is considering the Sharp Elite can be convinced to buy the Kuro Elite instead....because its gone. The truth: people with the Kuro Elites are looking to further justify their purchase, they paid a premium for the best set available, and don't want it to no longer be the best, which is totally understandable.
post #153 of 14574 Old 09-08-2011, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Interesting thoughts from Scott Wilkinson @ Home Theater Magazine regarding these sets at CEDIA 2011:

Link to Report in Home Theater Magazine

"The demo was conducted in a totally blacked out room, and the result was absolutely stunning. Blacks were easily as deep as the Kuroand possibly deeper, even when displaying real-world imagesand it clearly blows the Kuro out of the water in terms of brightness thanks to IVC's ability to punch up bright objects without raising blacks, which is especially good news for 3D. Colors were rich and vivid without being garish, and detail was razor-sharp. Amazingly, shots of fireworks against a black night sky showed no sign of haloing, a common problem with LED-backlit sets."

He does mention the high cost though:

" In my opinion, exceedingly high cost was the fatal flaw that killed the Kuro, so I wonder how well the new Sharp Elite TVs will fare."
post #154 of 14574 Old 09-08-2011, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

Wait,
You drop all that coin on a Display & You Don't own a Home Theater sound system ?
Who in today's market rates Displays by their sound quality ?

I was asking myself the same question when I read his post.....but to be honest there are some out there who just want to put the best TV on the wall they can and be done with it (I.e. forget sound). Don't ask me why because I'll never know. Maybe they have exactly enough for the TV and can't eek out anymore for even a decent 2.1 setup?? Doesn't make sense to most of us on here (well hopefully all of us), but to others it does. Scary!
post #155 of 14574 Old 09-08-2011, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 45
http://www.hometheater.com/content/s...5fd-3d-led-lcd
Sharp Elite PRO-X5FD 3D LED LCD (Home Theater)

"The demo was conducted in a totally blacked out room, and the result was absolutely stunning. Blacks were easily as deep as the Kuro—and possibly deeper, even when displaying real-world images—and it clearly blows the Kuro out of the water in terms of brightness thanks to IVC's ability to punch up bright objects without raising blacks, which is especially good news for 3D. "

Sounds accurate.

Sharp Elite PRO- 70X5FD 
Pioneer Elite VSX- 52 (A/V receiver)
Pioneer Elite BDP3FD (Blu-Ray) Player
Surround sound system: B&W (2) CM8's, (1) CENTER CHANNEL, (2) CM1 BOOKSHELF MONITORS's, (1) ASW10CM ACTIVE SUBWOOFER.
post #156 of 14574 Old 09-08-2011, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:

Wait,
You drop all that coin on a Display & You Don't own a Home Theater sound system ?

I thought the same exact thing. Even more so with the fact that some sets were sold without even having speakers. Or they could be removed lol. One of the two.

Even sets that are sold with there speakers being a selling point still sound awful compared to even a cheap 5.1 sound system.

As for this Elite. I still do not support there price. I don't understand where in there right mind they would come out with such high prices. I would much rather get 2 VT30 sets then one of these at this price point. 4-5K would be a good price point for the 60. 6-ish for 70. Maybe this set is more of a test? The next gen of these sets will be much cheaper? Or more sizes? So many questions lol.
post #157 of 14574 Old 09-08-2011, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigsMovies View Post

Interesting thoughts from Scott Wilkinson @ Home Theater Magazine regarding these sets at CEDIA 2011:

"The demo was conducted in a totally blacked out room, and the result was absolutely stunning. Blacks were easily as deep as the Kuroand possibly deeper, even when displaying real-world imagesand it clearly blows the Kuro out of the water in terms of brightness thanks to IVC's ability to punch up bright objects without raising blacks, which is especially good news for 3D. Colors were rich and vivid without being garish, and detail was razor-sharp. Amazingly, shots of fireworks against a black night sky showed no sign of haloing, a common problem with LED-backlit sets."

" In my opinion, exceedingly high cost was the fatal flaw that killed the Kuro, so I wonder how well the new Sharp Elite TVs will fare."

There are at least 3/4 pro reviews on this set and ironically most people say that there review simply wasn't enough to be valid. Clearly they must mean something. One thing all of them seem to be missing are numbers. That's about it. I find them plenty valid and agree with this last one I've just read. One thing I couldn't agree more with was the cons they have mentioned.

Quote:
So what's the catch? For one thing, the image still degrades when viewed from far off axis as with all LCD displays. But most of all, it's the price.

I don't think there is ever going to be a time that I agree with there price. As for the other 70inch they sell. I don't think it looks very good AT ALL.
post #158 of 14574 Old 09-08-2011, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf4k View Post

Its now another "vs. Kuro" thread. Stop talking about a television that has been discontinued..... Yes, its a great set...but its now irrelevant to ANYONE looking to buy an HDTV.

Anyone who wants to argue about The Sharp Elite vs the Kuro Elite, start a different thread named "Sharp Elite vs. Kuro Elite"..

there was one But the Mods wanted to combine the threads So deal with it .

Mike

post #159 of 14574 Old 09-08-2011, 03:54 PM

how do you find a sharp elite? my bestbuy doesn't have any?
post #160 of 14574 Old 09-08-2011, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergames View Post

how do you find a sharp elite? my bestbuy doesn't have any?

do a search for Just the " Elite " name on the BB site ...

Mike

post #161 of 14574 Old 09-08-2011, 03:56 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigsMovies View Post

"The demo was conducted in a totally blacked out room, and the result was absolutely stunning. Blacks were easily as deep as the Kuro—and possibly deeper, even when displaying real-world images—and it clearly blows the Kuro out of the water in terms of brightness thanks to IVC's ability to punch up bright objects without raising blacks, which is especially good news for 3D. Colors were rich and vivid without being garish, and detail was razor-sharp. Amazingly, shots of fireworks against a black night sky showed no sign of haloing, a common problem with LED-backlit sets."

Exactly correct perspective. The good news is the Sharp 70" 735 3D for those who doun't want to drop $8K each year!

Someone wrote this in the last thread:

"Obviously the Elite comes calibrated and the dealer 735's are programed to the dynamic mode. If fact if you switch to User mode it will default back to dynamic mode within an hour. What not level the playing field?

Who wants to bet they use the same x-gen panel?
Who wants to bet they can both be calibrated to look very similar?
The $250 x-rite i1 Display Pro with PC software will perform a far better calibration in 10 minutes than any legacy manual calibration.

The Elite will ultimately have better blacks in a dark room and should have slightly better lighting uniformity.

Do you think they use the same Meditek image processing? Betcha they do.
The fact is this largely a marketing push to improve profitability for Sharp and its dealers.

The 735 also pops in a well lit room. So too will the Elite, even though I haven't seen it. The technology largely is the same. Prove me wrong!
Stick to the facts please rather than hype.
My claim is the 735 gives 90% of the Elite's performance for 50% of the price."

So please calibrate them both and put them side-by-side for a true, meaningful face-off
post #162 of 14574 Old 09-08-2011, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Thought the 735 was not a local dimming set.... If that's the case. Despite what you say. No. They won't look alike side by side.
post #163 of 14574 Old 09-08-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

Thought the 735 was not a local dimming set.... If that's the case. Despite what you say. No. They won't look alike side by side.

In a typical daylight room local dimming is of no benefit. The main feature of these awesome displays is that they reject ambient light exceedingly well while also being very bright.

For 3D black level hardly matters at all. The 3D eyeglasses make the entire picture darker, so 0.09 black level becomes .01. Unfortunately zero stays at zero.

We miss the huge plank that these are the first displays where 3D is highly watchable during the daytime. At true 1920*1080*2 Blu-ray resolution.

So passive 3D just lost its #1 advantage. These are the major breakthroughs for which Sharp should be congratulated.

As expected most threads have an agenda other than offering a balanced perspective.
post #164 of 14574 Old 09-08-2011, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Have you ever owned a local dimming set? It helps in both day and night. The 735 won't be even close in picture to this Elite. It's just a cheap 70inch display. I'm not saying the Elite is worth it's high price difference. But picture isn't alike. I've never been impressed by that set.
post #165 of 14574 Old 09-08-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:

Have you ever owned a local dimming set? It helps in both day and night. The 735 won't be even close in picture to this Elite. It's just a cheap 70inch display. I'm not saying the Elite is worth it's high price difference. But picture isn't alike. I've never been impressed by that set.

Two. You must manually set the dealer 735 to User mode every 30 minutes as the 735 will automatically switch back to the Dynamic mode.
What you observed is true. Try switching the Elite to dynamic mode for a valid comparison.
post #166 of 14574 Old 09-08-2011, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

Two. You must manually set the dealer 735 to User mode every 30 minutes as the 735 will automatically switch back to the Dynamic mode.
What you observed is true. Try switching the Elite to dynamic mode for a valid comparison.

Why would anyone watch ANY set in Dynamic mode?
post #167 of 14574 Old 09-08-2011, 05:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

There was image tearing in fast movement that I almost always see with interpolation in lcds.

Winston, that's a pretty dramatic issue that you're seeing and I'm shocked, if reproducible, nobody has mentioned it before. Image tearing is something I haven't seen in my 929 or other recent vintage LCDs.
post #168 of 14574 Old 09-08-2011, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Wait,

Just add these little speakers, they will make any Kuro sound better, be it the old Kuro's or the new Kuro.

Panny 60VT60 Acurus 200x3
Pioneer Elite 05FD &51FD
2 Oppo 83's Pioneer Elite DV 59AVI
Paradigm SIg2 v3's & 490cc
Pioneer Elite SC61 SVS SB12NSD
2 S-VHS VCR's
post #169 of 14574 Old 09-08-2011, 05:21 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Why would anyone watch ANY set in Dynamic mode?

As sad as it is, there are some that will prefer Dynamic or Torch mode. Hopefully the majority of people who visit this forum and the alike know this is not an accurate display of the input. But at times I do often wonder

... best ...
post #170 of 14574 Old 09-08-2011, 05:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by trcnet View Post

As sad as it is, there are some that will prefer Dynamic or Torch mode. Hopefully the majority of people who visit this forum and the alike know this is not an accurate display of the input. But at times I do often wonder

... best ...

I can't imagine anyone plunking down their money for the Elite and then putting it in torch mode.
post #171 of 14574 Old 09-08-2011, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

I can't imagine anyone plunking down their money for the Elite and then putting it in torch mode.

lol, exactly. Anywho. Games on. I'm out!
post #172 of 14574 Old 09-08-2011, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh! Btw. Rad. If you watch sports please let me know how it worked with football. That's a make or break point for me lol.
post #173 of 14574 Old 09-08-2011, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Just bought the first 70" at the Concord/Kannapolis, NC Magnolia Home Theater It's being delivered on sunday morning so it's gonna be a long wait lol

Elite PRO-70X5FD!

dvdguru

Xbox Live Gamertag: AVS Steve
post #174 of 14574 Old 09-08-2011, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anyone who wants to argue about The Sharp Elite vs the Kuro Elite, start a different thread named "Sharp Elite vs. Kuro Elite".

The argument is not helpful to the thread in anyway. its not like someone who is considering the Sharp Elite can be convinced to buy the Kuro Elite instead....because its gone. The truth: people with the Kuro Elites are looking to further justify their purchase, they paid a premium for the best set available, and don't want it to no longer be the best, which is totally understandable.

I think the kuro will be around for the VE shootout. I wonder why they bother using a discontinued set. Maybe videophiles are just thick in their head.

As far as black is concern, I've heard much subjective opinion but funny no one bothered to get a Klein probe to measure.

I'm certainly keen to see how much LCD can improve over it's limitations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by specuvestor View Post

I'll be keen to know if an LCD can match plasma in motion without MCFI or reduction in eyeball tracking blur due to lower response rate.

And how much they are able to minimise blooming.

Keeping in mind that the panels are the same as the 732.

These are issues inherent in LCD tech which they are improving on, just a question of how much at what cost.

post #175 of 14574 Old 09-08-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:

do a search for Just the " Elite " name on the BB site ...

i have, the tv is like no where... where are u guys finding the tv?
post #176 of 14574 Old 09-08-2011, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

While in Chicago on holiday this weekend, I stumbled into a Magnolia (vernon hills - vermin hills for libertyvillians) that had a 70" elite on display.

Firstly, the black levels were impressive, but shadow detail was not. There was clear aliasing in movement, although the frame interpolation was very good. Mosquito noise reduction was excellent.

I have always been drawn to plasma, but was impressed by this set, which was uncallibrated. That said, the motion/fluidity was noticeably inferior to the VT30 across the room.

If you guys know Winston you guys will know he knows a thing or two in the player and AVR forum.

I'll take his comments seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadTech51 View Post

I owned the VT30 and I can tell you first hand that the motion was marginal better better at most. Certainly not by much as much your claiming or it would be an issue, which it is not. Motion on the ELITE is simply the best I've seen on any LCD TV.
What settings did you have the ELITE on when you were checking it out? Under what lighting conditions? If your seeing issues with the shadow detail then you probably were not in THX picture mode, were you? Additionally I'd be curious to know how much time you spent with the set to be making such claims?

I have no doubt it is the best LCD ever. But videophiles also compare it with other tech.
post #177 of 14574 Old 09-08-2011, 09:09 PM

I just put one of these sets up at my magnolia store in valley stream ny. And for an lcd I am amazed. I need some more time with it but the black was amazing. I did notice a little halo in it but that could be partial due to the crappy sony demo disc that was in at the time. And with my cost on the set could very well be my next one.
post #178 of 14574 Old 09-08-2011, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:

Please don't lump all kuro owners together. I couldn't care less if a TV surpasses my kuro. Thats a good thing if one does. As i said earlier in the thread, it's great if a TV can continue the reference PQ performance from 2008. But im not expecting a leap in PQ like when the kuros came out. Little improvement hear and there.

Still waiting for my BB to get these in so i can test it out.

home theater addict
post #179 of 14574 Old 09-08-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdguru View Post

Just bought the first 70" at the Concord/Kannapolis, NC Magnolia Home Theater It's being delivered on sunday morning so it's gonna be a long wait lol My Elite Pro-141 will be on sale in the AVS classifieds soon if you're looking for one. TICK TOCK, TICK TOCK

Why sell your 141? You will see the 141 still looks better
post #180 of 14574 Old 09-08-2011, 10:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsfeedr View Post

Why sell your 141? You will see the 141 still looks better

....or at least keep it around long enough to make a comparison.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Elite Black 70inch Pro 70x5fd Flat Panel 3d Led Hdtv , Sharp Elite Pro 60x5fd 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 70x5fd by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page