Sharp LC-60LE633U Calibration? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 206 Old 12-20-2011, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I noticed the setting called "Power Saving" under Power Control menu item.

Per the PDF Manual:
====
Standard: Optimizes power reduction based upon video content. When set to "Standard", "leaf symbol" appears on the screen.

Advanced: Optimizes power reduction based upon video content and engages OPC. When set to "Advanced", "leaf symbol" appears on the screen.

Off: This function does not work.
====
So I'm trying to guess what this really does. I already had "OPC" turned off on my input settings, and the leaf was still displaying for that input. It wasn't until I turned off Power Saving (a global all input setting) that it actually went away.
Could it really just be a global OPC setting, and Sharp uses that to display a leaf on each input, rather than the proper OPC setting of the specific input. And why does the manual refer to "video content".

Heh..I also like the wording "Off: This function does not work". Does that mean you can't turn it off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 206 Old 12-20-2011, 03:21 PM

Just to answer my own question on "Power Saving Mode" after googling around...

It's a global setting for all inputs:
- Standard Mode: adjusts luminance based on the video being shown (ie brightness of the video)
- Advanced Mode: Same as Standard, but also uses OPC, ie dimming the entire picture due to a dark room.
- Off: No power savings.

I've now turned mine to Off to see if I notice any picture quality improvements. I wonder if those doing calibrations with it set to Standard or Advanced will find different results when turned off.
post #93 of 206 Old 12-22-2011, 11:15 AM

Liked: 11
I have a 60LE632U and I noticed that skin color has greenish tint to it. I tried all the settings that were posted in this thread and still can see greenish hue on people's faces. It is especially noticeable in darker scenes, under the chin or part of the face that in a shade. Did anyone notice similar problem?
post #94 of 206 Old 12-22-2011, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon7 View Post

I have a 60LE632U and I noticed that skin color has greenish tint to it. I tried all the settings that were posted in this thread and still can see greenish hue on people's faces. It is especially noticeable in darker scenes, under the chin or part of the face that in a shade. Did anyone notice similar problem?

You need to remember that there are going to be inherent differences between tv's of the same model, and even build, because of the tolerance ranges for the various components. If a given tolerance range for a specific component is +/- 10% for example, and everyone else is at +8% and your set is -8%, both are within specs but the overall response to a given setting is going to be different. Using another's calibration settings is a good place to start but if it doesn't look right to you then you need to set your own calibration within your own viewing environment. I'd try that before deciding that there is possibly something wrong with your set. Performing your own calibration is also a great way to learn how your tv actually works and what the various settings do in relationship to each other.
post #95 of 206 Old 12-22-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

You need to remember that there are going to be inherent differences between tv's of the same model, and even build, because of the tolerance ranges for the various components. If a given tolerance range for a specific component is +/- 10% for example, and everyone else is at +8% and your set is -8%, both are within specs but the overall response to a given setting is going to be different. Using another's calibration settings is a good place to start but if it doesn't look right to you then you need to set your own calibration within your own viewing environment. I'd try that before deciding that there is possibly something wrong with your set. Performing your own calibration is also a great way to learn how your tv actually works and what the various settings do in relationship to each other.

I'm not talking about small calibration difference. I tried all kinds of adjustments but can't tone down green hue on skin that I mentioned. I went to Best Buy and noticed that many LCD panels from different manufacturers display similar picture. Just like a green haze on the skin.
post #96 of 206 Old 12-22-2011, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm not talking about small calibration difference. I tried all kinds of adjustments but can't tone down green hue on skin that I mentioned. I went to Best Buy and noticed that many LCD panels from different manufacturers display similar picture. Just like a green haze on the skin.

Hmmm. Is this a brand new set? If it is, and I don't mean to sound condenscending here, but did you take it out of demo mode and put it in user mode? I would make sure it is in user mode or whatever the mfr calls it. Most all tv's you see at retail stores are in demo mode (torch mode) to grab your attention and a lot of the settings don't work or work correctly. Reset to factory defaults and try just one setting first.
post #97 of 206 Old 12-22-2011, 08:29 PM

It is in "home" mode. As I mentioned before I tried settings for "user" and "movie" modes posted in this thread but looks like there is something special about green skin hue on this set. I don't think my TV is defective since some other TVs in the store display similar picture. Not all TVs but many.
post #98 of 206 Old 12-22-2011, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It is in "home" mode. As I mentioned before I tried settings for "user" and "movie" modes posted in this thread but looks like there is something special about green skin hue on this set. I don't think my TV is defective since some other TVs in the store display similar picture. Not all TVs but many.

Well something is definitely odd. Is it the same on all sources?
post #99 of 206 Old 12-22-2011, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuBee View Post

Just to answer my own question on "Power Saving Mode" after googling around...

It's a global setting for all inputs:
- Standard Mode: adjusts luminance based on the video being shown (ie brightness of the video)
- Advanced Mode: Same as Standard, but also uses OPC, ie dimming the entire picture due to a dark room.
- Off: No power savings.

I've now turned mine to Off to see if I notice any picture quality improvements. I wonder if those doing calibrations with it set to Standard or Advanced will find different results when turned off.

I tried setting mine to Off and immediately saw the image brighten in the reduced window. I haven't watched more yet, but I'm immediately wondering which mode the users' listed settings here were set under?

Also, after a few days of watching after setting both Color and Tint to 0, I'm much more satisfied with josay's settings. People now look like they're still alive. I need to run WOW.

Â
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Latest review:
Â
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #100 of 206 Old 12-29-2011, 09:01 PM

Discovered to my surprise that the settings are not only per input (i.e. you can set one input to setting A and another to setting B), but that the block of settings is duplicated for each input (i.e. User and Movie and Dynamic on input A are NOT the same as User, etc. on input B). As I mentioned above, I liked the looks of zeroing out Color and Tint to fix the flat, clay-like skin tones on DirecTV news channels and thought the settings on User were in effect for my Blu-ray player's input, but while running Disney WOW, I discovered that the BD input was still on the +/-7 settings.

A larger, more troubling aspect of all this tinkering is how do we know how to set the C.M.S. Hue/Saturation/Value settings. WOW just deals in Brightness, Contrast, Color, and Tint. I used it to dial in the Movie setting and looked at some of the test clips and Monsters Inc. looked terrific, but PotC 3 looked sickly and when I toggled back and forth between Movie (calibrated with WOW) and User (josay's settings), the latter looked much brighter and punchier, but I can't trust them as accurate, can I? I switched over to Attack of the Clones and it looked fine with josay's, BUT I'm torn between the picture looking "good enough" and looking "as the filmmaker's intended." What exactly are all the C.A.S. settings for and how do I test them?

I've also got some clouds visible when there's white text, like credits, on a black screen. The opening titles of Blade Runner blank out the screen entirely in between cards, but faint clouds glow otherwise. It's not flashlighting and the matte bars are black, but during some of the really dark scenes in Harry Potter 8, I could see them. Since 99.44% of movies are NOT that dark, how much should I be bothered? I can't really expect Beast Buy to send out unit after unit in hopes of hitting a "perfect" sample.

Â
Latest review:
Â

post #101 of 206 Old 12-30-2011, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

You need to make sure that your BD player is not doing any video processing at all by basically setting everything to default or whatever you need to make your player as null as possible. You want to calibrate your tv, not your BD player. And once your tv is calibrated, don't make any video adjustments in the BD player. The WoW disk is ok for setting the basics but you should probably think about using a more in depth disk like the free AVS HD709 disk, Spears & Munsil,or something like that.
post #102 of 206 Old 12-31-2011, 06:34 PM

What's more in depth about those other sources than the WOW disc other than they don't have the Disney name implying n00bishness? Compared to my old Digital Video Essentials disc, WOW is pretty loaded with test patterns and whatnot.

This still doesn't answer my question about how the C.M.S. areas are adjusted and how they interact with the basic settings?

Â
Latest review:
Â

post #103 of 206 Old 12-31-2011, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post

What's more in depth about those other sources than the WOW disc other than they don't have the Disney name implying n00bishness? Compared to my old Digital Video Essentials disc, WOW is pretty loaded with test patterns and whatnot.

This still doesn't answer my question about how the C.M.S. areas are adjusted and how they interact with the basic settings?

The AVS disk is a bit more challenging for the beginner (at least it was for me) with a more comprehensive set of test patterns. If your tv comes with built-in color filters (R,B,G) like the LG's do then it's easier to set the Color Management System for the primary and secondary colors. There's also a pretty good pattern that you can use for the setting of the colors. The basic settings (brightness, contrast) are essential for proper color management because you can't have accurate color without the gray and white levels set correctly. WoW and DVE are both good disks but a lot of folks around here have experience with the AVS HD709 (which is a free download, with instructions) disk. The only thing is that it's made to be played on a BD player so if you don't have one it won't work.
post #104 of 206 Old 12-31-2011, 11:35 PM

Built-in color filters?

Â
Latest review:
Â

post #105 of 206 Old 01-01-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post

Built-in color filters?

The LGs have three built-in filters, Red, Blue, and Green to be used exclusively for calibrating the CMS. That's what I like about the LGs. Even in the mid-priced range, the options available for calibrating are more extensive than other sets that cost more. If you don't have those filters, then you'll need to buy the filters (reference certified) somewhere or use instrumentation. I don't know what options are available to you for your set so you may be limited in what you can do yourself. I had an old copy of DVE around here someplace and I remember that it came with a set of filters but I don't know how accurate they were. BTW, the options that are available on the LG are thru the user menus so there is absolutely no need to go into the service menu, which is not recommended for anyone on any set.
post #106 of 206 Old 01-03-2012, 01:42 PM

Just picked this TV up today from BJ's to replace my Samsung LN52A550 which has a blown power supply and/or capacitors. Looking for an excuse to upsize, we will relegate the Samsung to the bedroom when/if it's fixed. I've read through this thread and wanted to see what the consensus was on calibration. The TV will be in a family room with 6 west facing windows so the sun can be/is an issue. Thanks! Looking forward to the "upgrade"!
post #107 of 206 Old 01-05-2012, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven333 View Post

Just picked this TV up today from BJ's to replace my Samsung LN52A550 which has a blown power supply and/or capacitors. Looking for an excuse to upsize, we will relegate the Samsung to the bedroom when/if it's fixed. I've read through this thread and wanted to see what the consensus was on calibration. The TV will be in a family room with 6 west facing windows so the sun can be/is an issue. Thanks! Looking forward to the "upgrade"!

Hey Seven,

I have tried Josays & Alans setting's, HDnet test pattern and the AVS HD709 disk. I do not think you will find a consensus of calibrating the set due to manufacturing tolerances and varying room conditions. I ordered the Spears and Munsil disk which will include a filter, so these will likely not be my final settings.

On my TV, as I remember Alan's setting had men looking like they all wearing lipstick/odd color and Josay's looked really good after bumping up the color to +5 as people's skintones made everyone look lifeless. I'm using my settings from running the avs hd709 disk and then adjusting the color by people's skin tones for now.

AV MODE Movie
OPC OFF
Backlight 0
Contrast 25
Brightness 1
Color 5
Tint 0
Sharpness 1
Hue: default
Sat: default
Value: default
Color Temp Low
RGBlohi: default
Motion Enhancement OFF
Active Contrast OFF
Gamma = 1
film mode off
digital noise reduction OFF

The room has one large window, but always has a dark curtain drawn and fairly low room lighting.

toddRiffic

post #108 of 206 Old 01-07-2012, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by josay View Post

*User mode.
OPC- Off.
Backlight/ -1** new**
Contrast/ +31
Brightness/ 0
Color/ -7 ** new**
Tint/ +7. ** new**
Sharpness/ +1
**Advanced User**
C.M.S HUE-
* R/ +15
*Y/ +17
*G/ -8
* C/ +9
*B/ +17
*M/ -2
C.M.S SATURATION-
*R/ +4
*Y/ +4
*G/ +10
*C/ -15
*B/ +30
*M/ -10
C.M.S VALUE-
*R/ -1
*Y/ +7
*G/ 0
*C/ -2
*B/ +23
*M/ -3
Combined with Al's color temp settings.
Color temp [middle]
R +24
G -1
B +8
R +22
G 0
B +9
Motion off or 120 low.
Film off.
Digital noise off.
Hope this works out for you guys.

if you have the CMS correct, i think the color and tint would be 0.

i think i will have the 60 632 in a couple weeks so i have looking thru this thread for settings.
post #109 of 206 Old 01-09-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 View Post

This makes sense and explains why it looks much better with Color and Tint at 0 for me. I wish josay would check back in and explain how he arrived at the clay-faced base settings with the +/-7.

Â
Latest review:
Â

post #110 of 206 Old 01-10-2012, 08:29 AM

It would probably be worthwhile to include "Power Control->Power Savings = standard/advanced/off" when you provide your settings. It does seem to affect the color brightness.
post #111 of 206 Old 01-10-2012, 05:29 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 View Post

True, I've since then have gone back to +- 0 on tint and color. I meant to explain that, that's what I use for cable watching. But since I suck at life, there's not much I can do. Sorry bout that guys.
Cable colors are all over the place for me. Especially HGTV channel. If you wanna find problems with your screen, HGTV throws em' right at you. Atleast for me. I can really notice dirty screen, diamonds, etc. And only on that channel? Other than that, blu ray and gaming looks good to me with my settings. Can anyone else see if they're HGTV gives you exaggeration on these screen issues?
post #112 of 206 Old 01-10-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:

*User mode.
OPC- Off.
Backlight/ -1** new**
Contrast/ +27
Brightness/ -1
Color/ -0 ** updated**
Tint/ +0 ** updated**
Sharpness/ +1
**Advanced User**
C.M.S HUE-
* R/ +15
*Y/ +17
*G/ -8
* C/ +9
*B/ +17
*M/ -2
C.M.S SATURATION-
*R/ +4
*Y/ +4
*G/ +10
*C/ -15
*B/ +30
*M/ -10
C.M.S VALUE-
*R/ -1
*Y/ +7
*G/ 0
*C/ -2
*B/ +23
*M/ -3
Combined with Al's color temp settings.
Color temp [middle]
R +24
G -1
B +8
R +22
G 0
B +9
Motion off or 120 low.
Film off.
Digital noise off.

I still have to dial the backlight contrast and brightness a bit. Seems a bit off.
post #113 of 206 Old 01-10-2012, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:

I still have to dial the backlight contrast and brightness a bit. Seems a bit off.

i read a calibrators review of a similar sharp (632) and said that the sat should not raised positive as it causes nonlinearities with color.

i will be getting a 632 soon so i have been researching...
post #114 of 206 Old 01-12-2012, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

True, I've since then have gone back to +- 0 on tint and color. I meant to explain that, that's what I use for cable watching. But since I suck at life, there's not much I can do. Sorry bout that guys.
Cable colors are all over the place for me. Especially HGTV channel. If you wanna find problems with your screen, HGTV throws em' right at you. Atleast for me. I can really notice dirty screen, diamonds, etc. And only on that channel? Other than that, blu ray and gaming looks good to me with my settings. Can anyone else see if they're HGTV gives you exaggeration on these screen issues?

Sounds like a HGTV issue not a screen issue. Going from my 42" plasma to this 60" really exaggerates quality issues between bluray and my directv GD channels. I'll try to look at HGTV and report back. I was impressed by the quality of JUSTIFIED downloaded from amazon played off the hdmi output of my laptop much more than the built in VUDU hdx streaming over wifi.

toddRiffic

post #115 of 206 Old 01-12-2012, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddRiffic View Post

Sounds like a HGTV issue not a screen issue. Going from my 42" plasma to this 60" really exaggerates quality issues between bluray and my directv GD channels. I'll try to look at HGTV and report back. I was impressed by the quality of JUSTIFIED downloaded from amazon played off the hdmi output of my laptop much more than the built in VUDU hdx streaming over wifi.

Most likely. I've had Brighthouse, and I've never liked there picture quality. I've tried ordering U-verse at one point, but before install on Uverse I got screwed. They sent 3 techs, disconected my DSL, blamed my wiring, found the problem around the corner, re scheduled install 2 weeks after, left me without DSL, for 4 days. Long sentence, sorry! I had to finally call the tech back on his personal phone. A big mess.
post #116 of 206 Old 01-16-2012, 08:29 AM

Im new to the forum, but just bought this guy Friday. It was quite a upgrade from what we had previous. It was a 32" LG LCD 720p 60 hz. Out of the box it is way better then what we had. I want to sit down and do some calibrating of it just havent had a chance yet. Blu rays were just plain crazy as is in comparison to the old TV. I did see some of the "halo or ghosting" effect but I will try taking care of it as shown in here. I am by no means a expert with this A/V stuff but I love the TV so far and I havent even adjusted anything yet. I cant imagine what it will be like when it is tweeked a bit.
post #117 of 206 Old 01-23-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi guys just wanted to share some info posted in the 632 thread by member DaGamePimp where he measured and posted quite a difference in lag between the Movie and GAME picture modes. This sounds like a solution for those with lip sync issues. I just found this last night and have not noticed any of the occasional lip sync issues I would get from my Directv feed with the TV set to GAME mode so far. Please report back if this helps.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post21504863

toddRiffic

post #118 of 206 Old 01-24-2012, 01:12 PM

this is one of the three tv's i am seriously considering right now. the other is also a sharp and the other a sony.

is the 240hz worth it over the 120hz? i was looking at the e600 which is same tv without the internet conn.

how has the motion blur been on this set for sports?
post #119 of 206 Old 01-24-2012, 09:35 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottpez View Post

this is one of the three tv's i am seriously considering right now. the other is also a sharp and the other a sony.

is the 240hz worth it over the 120hz? i was looking at the e600 which is same tv without the internet conn.

how has the motion blur been on this set for sports?

Can't comment on motion blur in sports, but the picture looks much better with the 240/120 set to off.
post #120 of 206 Old 01-25-2012, 07:05 AM

First off let me state that I've tried every setting on this form and some from other sites as well.

I found the following settings from a professional calibration at CNET for the following TV (Sharp LC-60LE830U). The Model was not the same but I thought that I would give them a try anyway.

Greatly to my surprise these where so very close to perfect. All I’ve done since applying these is to use a calibration BD to set my proper brightness and contrast (highly recommended).

Hope you get the same results.
Here are the settings...

--Picture Settings menu
OPC: Off
Backlight: +4
Contrast: +30
Brightness: +1
Color: 0
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0

--Advanced sub-menu
C.M.S. -Hue
R: 0
Y: +4
G: -5
C: +2
B: 0
M: +2

C.M.S. -Saturation
R: 0
Y: -2
G: -1
C: 0
B: -7
M: 0

C.M.S. -Value
R: +2
Y: 0
G: +9
C: +4
B: +3
M: 0

Color Temp: Low
R Gain (LO): +11
G Gain (LO): +7
B Gain (LO): +13
R Gain (HI): -2
G Gain (HI): -7
B Gain (HI): 0

Motion Enhancement: 120Hz High
Active Contrast: Off
Gamma Adjustment: +2
Film Mode: Off
Digital Noise Reduction: Off
Monochrome: Off
Range of OPC: [any]

-----------------------------

After you apply these settings sit back in your favorite chair. You should only have to adjust the basic picture settings from this point forward to get the TV to look the way you want it to.

Please use the following descriptions to make your adjustments.

BASIC TV SETTINGS

The BRIGHTNESS control, more properly called BLACK LEVEL. It adds or subtracts an offset, or bias, into the red, green, and blue signals. This control should be adjusted so that black picture content displays as true black on your monitor. Improper adjustment of this control is the most common problem of poor quality picture reproduction on computer monitors, video monitors, and television sets. The setting is somewhat dependent upon ambient light.

The CONTRAST control applies a scale factor (gain) to the red, green, and blue signals. It affects the luminance (proportional to intensity) that is reproduced for a full white input signal. Once BRIGHTNESS is set correctly, CONTRAST should be set for comfortable viewing brightness.

The BACKLIGHT control is used to brighten or darken the display making the display easier on your eyes. BACKLIGHT will not affect the balance (BRIGHTNESS/CONTRAST) of your TV as the LED’s are color balanced to a proper 6500k light. The proper use of BACKLIGHT is to turn it up when ambient light is present and turn it down when you are in a darkened environment.

The COLOR control is used to intensify or reduce the saturation of color. To tweak your COLOR settings, find a scene with lots of reds, greens, and blues. Move the color-setting slider until the colors pop without looking unnatural.

The TINT control (sometimes called hue) is used to controls the amount of green and red in the picture. To tweak your TINT settings, find a scene with flesh tones (i.e. people scenes). Adjust the tint-setting slider until the skin tones look natural.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Aquos 60 Led 1080p 240hz Hdtv Lc 60le633u
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page