Sharp LC-60LE633U Calibration? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 206 Old 09-07-2011, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I cannot find that anyone has posted on this specific Sharp model (From Sam's Club). Can anyone post their calibration settings and likes/dislikes? I just purchased and am tweaking but still on the fence on overall quality of set. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 206 Old 09-07-2011, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Calibrate it yourself with the free AVS HD709 disk or you can purchase the Avia disk from Amazon. Depending on what options are available to you on your set, you should be able to get a decent calibration or at least improve the pq from your sets default settings.
post #3 of 206 Old 09-07-2011, 09:10 PM

Although these are for the 830U, you can use these as a starting point. The reviewers on the Amazon page also have some good settings to try.

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_10...ml?tag=rvwBody
post #4 of 206 Old 09-12-2011, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

thanks so far. I have been tweaking and also have used the Disney WOW Blu-ray calibration disk, but still not content with the picture. (mind you i am coming from a 52" Sony Bravia LCD which is 2 years old but still looks GREAT!....

Anyone else have any suggested tweaks for this Sharp?
post #5 of 206 Old 09-15-2011, 06:25 PM

jasnjen,

I'm thinking of buying this TV also. Are you noticing any picture defects during sports games? I've heard about some blurring. Like when a quarterback throws the ball. The ball gets a blur and shadows near it.
post #6 of 206 Old 09-16-2011, 08:55 AM

I bought this tv also, and am interested in what the best settings are. Out of the box, the settings are pretty bad, and I have been tweaking it but am no expert. My current settings are pretty good, and I will post them after a bit more experimenting.
post #7 of 206 Old 09-16-2011, 08:07 PM

Sharp LC-60LE633U Calibration Settings

*****Edit: Josay's settings below are better than these. I would try them instead. ***********************

Ok, I have tinkered with this TV for a few days, and I have come up with some settings that I think look great. I am an amateur, and my only tool was the Disney World of Wonder configuration Dvd. Although I may break out my Avia disc.

The default settings on my TV were terrible, and these adjustments made a huge difference, and I hope it works for others. I did not get into the complex color settings (see CMS settings below) since I do not have the tools, and I am sure that can be improved upon by some techie. Enough talk, on to the settings!

First, turn the Power save feature off in the menu. Also, set it to "Dot by Dot" resolution on the remote (see manual if you don't know how).
--------------------------------------------------------------------
-AV Mode: Movie
-OPC: Off (I did not experiment much with this. It just adjusts Backlighting automatically based on the amount of light in the room)
-Backlight: +10 (raise if room is bright, lower if you watch in darker room)
-Contrast: +31
-Brightness: +1
-Color: +6
-Tint: +3
-Sharpness: +8 (Might be issue with my tv, but anything below 4 is really horrible to my eyes, and to the test patterns).

Advanced

-CMS Hue: Default (all at 0)
-CMS Saturation : Default (all at 0)
-CMS Value: Default (all at 0)
-Color Temperature: Middle (subsettings all default at 0). Raise this for a cooler blue look, lower for more red tones.

-Motion Enhancement: 120hz High (240hz will darken the picture, can experiment with if you want. I didn't see any downside otherwise)

-Active Contrast: Off (Contrast is already perfect!)

-Gamma Adjustment: Default 0. I did not test this much.

-Film Mode: Standard. Turn to High if you like the "Soap Opera Effect" (Google it), or you can turn off. I found Standard works well so far.

-Digital Noise Reduction: Normal

-Monochrome: Off

Hopefully more people will post some settings. I will continue to experiment and let you know if I find improvements. Cheers!
post #8 of 206 Old 09-17-2011, 01:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
633U
Note these setting are in my darkened T.V room.
I used the Digital Video Essentials(EVE), (HD basics) Blu-Ray.
Color and tint I left alone, bc I was able to get more natural colors using the color filters that came with the DVE disc, under the C.M.S advanced section.

What I watch, ( User settings ) most Blu-Ray use. I suppose depends on which movie it is. I personally don't notice much or any S.O.E with Film mode off, and Motion set to 120hz high. If I do notice any S.O.E, I turn 120hz to low or off. Again for *User mode

*User mode.
OPC- Off.
Backlight/ +7
Contrast/ +31
Brightness/ 0
Color/ 0
Tint/ 0
Sharpness/ +1
**Advanced User**
C.M.S HUE-
* R/ +15
*Y/ +17
*G/ -8
* C/ +9
*B/ +17
*M/ -2
C.M.S SATURATION-
*R/ +4
*Y/ +4
*G/ +10
*C/ -15
*B/ +30
*M/ -10
C.M.S VALUE-
*R/ -1
*Y/ +7
*G/ 0
*C/ -2
*B/ +23
*M/ -3
COLOR TEMP/ Middle, adjust to your liking.
*Motion enhancement*
I have it at 120hz high. I can't see any S.O.E on this setting. Again experiment to your liking.
*Active contrast*
ON
*Gamma Adjustment*
* Film Mode*
Off
* Digital noise reduction*
Off
*Monochrome*
Off
*Range of OPC*
Max/ +16
Min/ -16

On Dynamic, everything up there was copied. Except for the following settings.

*Backlight/ Std
**Advanced**
*Motion Enhancement*
120hz high
*Film mode*
High

** What I watch( Dynamic setting ), Sports, and regular tv, reality shows, etc. Also I really like how HD CGI, cartoons look with these settings( Blu-ray ). Blu-ray, movies not so good.
Also play single player games with noticeablr lag. For online I use my game mode settings.
Film mode digitizes some colors, but I'm pretty sure its my HD signal. Crappy roadrunner. In my area atleast. Again for my Dynamic, settings.

Game mode everything was copied again. As you know, all motion and film modes get turned off. I use game mode for all online gaming. I can tolerate( control lag), with motion and film mode on for single player.

Ps. Typing this on my phone, I apologize for any typos.

Overall, I don't think this is much of a sports tv. More of a movie tv. Balls do blur a lot on this tv. Baseball, football, you can see a halo of sorts around the balls. I'm sure hockey and golf are possibly worse. Movies on the other hand don't suffer much. I'm definitely more impressed on the movie side. Good blacks and whites and overall picture. My cable companies reception is pretty bad tho. Some channels are super bright. Sometimes they're so bright that I do get that dirty screen look. But its only with roadrunners inconsistent reception. I also forgot to add that I use my PS3 for Blu-Ray, and X-Box for most gaming and casual Zune HD movie rentals.
* Edit. I just found out my receivers up conversion may be causing sports balls to halo more than it should. I blame my reception again. I turned the up conversion off on my receiver and it was a bit better. Roadrunner sends top of the line 1080i video with crazy brightness levels. Possibly why I'm more impressed with blu-ray movies(1080p) rather than cable with this tv!
post #9 of 206 Old 09-17-2011, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nydude66 View Post

Sharp LC-60LE633U Calibration Settings

-Sharpness: +8 (Might be issue with my tv, but anything below 4 is really horrible to my eyes, and to the test patterns).

-Digital Noise Reduction

I think if you turn this off, digital noise. Your sharpness won't be as high and easier on your eyes?
post #10 of 206 Old 09-17-2011, 11:13 AM

Thanks Josay. I will experiment with your settings later today. You are right, this tv is sensitive to the broadcast material. High quality material looks great, and the worse the quality of the feed, the worse it looks. I haven't noticed any halo effect so far.
post #11 of 206 Old 09-17-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:

You are right, this tv is sensitive to the broadcast material. High quality material looks great, and the worse the quality of the feed, the worse it looks. I haven't noticed any halo effect so far.

I'd also agree with this assessment. I am watching OTA for TV and the hi-def broadcasts are gorgeous. This TV really seems to struggle with SD level stuff. I have NBC Universal Sports as one of my channels and it's always in 480i. Some programs are better than others, but in many cases the picture has lots of artifacts in it, especially when text is displayed. I'm sorry if I'm not using the right terminology, but think of when you try to play a low-def YouTube video in full screen mode on your computer, and the sort of "blocky" effect you get is the same thing I'm seeing on this TV.

My other issue is with watching sports. I am watching golf right now and on some shots where the ball is in flight for a long time it's like the TV can't keep up with the image and you get some brief ghosting. I'll be interested to see how it does with a football game. I did pop Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon into the BluRay player, and the fight scenes looked great with no noticeable motion blur, so maybe it's something that's only going to be noticeable with sports.

Other than that, I'm super happy with this TV. The picture looked awful out of the box, but I played around with the settings using the simple calibration routine from one of my THX DVDs as a starting point and then experimenting and adjusting things by eye from there. My results were similar to the ones already posted above.

For the price I don't think I could have done better than this TV. This is my first 1080p TV, and I'm also upgrading from a 37", so it's a major difference. I'm no expert by any means, but to my eye this is a great TV.
post #12 of 206 Old 09-17-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:

Thanks Josay. I will experiment with your settings later today. You are right, this tv is sensitive to the broadcast material. High quality material looks great, and the worse the quality of the feed, the worse it looks. I haven't noticed any halo effect so far.

Actually I called it halo around the ball. I just read my post and made no sense. (Kinda like a floating Saturn ring)? I'm no video expert or have the expert lingo that some use here. I just read some other thread talking about halo in their LCD's. I'm sure they're not reffering to what I'm poorly describing. :X
post #13 of 206 Old 09-17-2011, 05:32 PM

I know what is causing the halo or ghosting around the football. Using your first User Mode settings I saw the same halo as you. When I turn Motion Enhancement off, I didn't see it. I think that is the culprit.

I like your User Mode settings better than mine. I would definitely turn off Active Contrast though. It looks alot better without it, at least to me so far. Also, with your settings, I didn't need to crank up the sharpness. +1 was just fine.

For anyone following my settings above, I would recommend you try Josay's first "User Mode" settings. I am using those and they are alot better. BUT, turn off Motion Enhancement and Active Contrast. This TV really shines when you cut out all the digital processing that messes with the image. That digital processing is what causes all sorts of issues that you may be having, and I can safely say, my picture is awesome now. Off to watch some more football...

Oh, and if you are using the "dot for dot" view and see some strange or distorted lines/bars on the screen, switch to "stretch" mode. That only happens on some low quality broadcasts, not on HD or bluray material.
post #14 of 206 Old 09-18-2011, 01:26 PM

Are you guys able to see pics and play songs with the dlna features? I can't do it for some reason. Videos are fine, might be something to do with my server not sure.
post #15 of 206 Old 09-18-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:

I know what is causing the halo or ghosting around the football. Using your first User Mode settings I saw the same halo as you. When I turn Motion Enhancement off, I didn't see it. I think that is the culprit.

Nice catch! I watched some football today and only noticed the ghosting on one or two really hard-thrown passes. Then I switched to watching golf and it was again very distracting on any shots where they showed the ball flying in the air. I turned off the Motion Enhancement, and it completely eliminated the ghosting effect.

Just to be 100% sure Motion Enhancement was the culprit, I turned it back on and waited until I saw a shot where there was ghosting and then I turned it off while the ball was still in the air. The ghost images disappeared.

Quote:

I would recommend you try Josay's first "User Mode" settings. I am using those and they are alot better. BUT, turn off Motion Enhancement and Active Contrast.

I also switched to josay's first list of "user mode" settings (with Motion Enhancement and Active Contrast off) and I like them a lot. Nice job on those and thank you for posting them.

This takes away the biggest of the already minor disappointments I had with this TV. Many standard def programs still look pretty bad, but that's a minor concern and I didn't buy this TV to watch standard def material very often. The only other criticism I have is that they didn't include a program guide function. That omission baffles me since it's something even my 5 year old Vizio has. Heck, even the old digital converter box I have hooked up to my last remaining analog tuner CRT TV has a program guide.

Thanks for the help, guys. I was loving this TV before, but now I'm even happier with it. That ghosting issue wasn't going to be enough to make me return it for something else, but it was annoying and to have it gone is great!
post #16 of 206 Old 09-18-2011, 05:27 PM

Cool to see that these settings are producing good picture for most of us. It took approx 2+hrs, to finally get these settings. But definitely worth it.
post #17 of 206 Old 09-18-2011, 05:55 PM

Also tried josay's settings so far really liking them. Thanks!
post #18 of 206 Old 09-19-2011, 05:24 PM

For my TV Josay's settings are bit too high on the whites..but maybe thats due to one of the "choose your own" settings I didn't play with. Also I use a TIVO Series 3 as my HDMI input.

Here are my current settings that I use for watching Movies, TV, DLNA. Disclaimer: Only had the TV for less than a week. Copied most of these settings from others, no calibration dvd used.

*Movie mode
OPC/ Off
Backlight/ +1
Contrast/ +30
Brightness/ 1
Color/ +6
Tint/ +3
Sharpness/ +1

**Advanced **
*C.M.S HUE
R/ +9
Y/ 0
G/ 0
C/ +10
B/ -9
M/ +15
*C.M.S SATURATION-
R/ 0
Y/ 0
G/ 0
C/ 0
B/ 0
M/ 0
*C.M.S VALUE-
R/ 0
Y/ 0
G/ 0
C/ 0
B/ 0
M/ 0

COLOR TEMP/ Middle
Motion enhancement = 120hz Low
Active contrast = OFF
Gamma Adjustment = 0
Film Mode = Standard
Digital noise reduction =Off
post #19 of 206 Old 09-19-2011, 07:23 PM

Nice job StuBee. I actually like your color settings the best so far. Josay's are brilliant, but on some material, they seem too strong (faces too red kinda thing). I think yours are more natural. Or at least more what I am used to.

I also tested the Motion Enhancement at 120 hz Low, and you still see the halo/ghosting around the football when you are looking for it, but not as much as with the High setting. So I turned that off, unless anyone can see a benefit.

Frankly, it seems like every digital processing setting is a marketing gimmick that messes the picture up. The 240 hz that they tout? Forget it, it darkens the picture too much. But I can't complain about the TV, because when this stuff is turned off, its a great picture.
post #20 of 206 Old 09-19-2011, 09:17 PM

Is anyone else having issues with the audio being out of sync?
post #21 of 206 Old 09-20-2011, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennVols16 View Post

Is anyone else having issues with the audio being out of sync?

Funny I used the Disney WoW Blu-Ray for the audio, and the DVE for the video. Audio lag is pretty bad with this tv. I have a Pioneer 1120k. I was able to play with the pioneers audio settings, and set it pretty close. Almost can't tell .
It's good to see people sharing their settings. They may all be a bit different but it doesn't hurt to try them and maybe even combine them? Thanks everyone.
post #22 of 206 Old 09-20-2011, 07:25 PM

No audio lag here. Didn't do any extensive tests, but just during normal watching I cant see any. Using HDMI connections on all components.
post #23 of 206 Old 09-20-2011, 10:05 PM

I am witnessing significant video delay with this set. The picture is beautiful though. I'm considering picking up some kind of audio delay processor or looking for a new receiver that will perform the task. I'm feeding all my audio to my receiver via toslink with hdmi feeding the tv. My receiver is an older denon 3802 and I love the sound it produces so I'm reluctant to replace it.

-- gooch
post #24 of 206 Old 09-21-2011, 10:23 AM

Liked: 12
I am seeing audio sync problems with my LE832U also. I have an older Pioneer receiver that doesn't have audio delay adjustments but my Sony blu-ray player does. I have the delay cranked up to about 100 msec which does a pretty good job getting movies back in sync.

Allen
post #25 of 206 Old 09-21-2011, 01:04 PM

I got an i1Display2 colorimeter and HFCR SW to try my own home grown calibration on this set. I purchased the Disney WOW disk, burned the AVSHD test available on the calibration forum here, and did a bunch of self-education online. IOW, I am an amateur, not a professional calibrator. OTH, I thought my experiences might be useful to other amateurs attempting to get their settings right either with or without colorimeter.

First off, my own goal was to get something close to the 709 standard as at least one of my settings so I would have an accurate baseline. The movie mode with warm temperature is much closer to 709 than user mode. On this set (and I gather many others) this is the mode to set up for color accuracy.

If you don't have colorimeter and sw, this post by Buzzard767 is absolutely correct: "http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=19645038#post19645038". The WOW disk has more help and explanation when you are first starting out, but the patterns on the AVSHD disk are actually easier to use once you get the hang of what you are doing, and buzzard767's advice plus the documentation will get you there.

If you go the route I went and get a cheap ($100 on Amazon) colorimeter, then the best guide I found is this guide for dummies on greyscale and colour calibration "http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457". Adjusting the grey scale is a significant improvement, the instructions are very detailed, and understandable. This guide helps you figure out your colorimeter and your software on a budget.

After that, when I went to adjust the color gamut (hue and saturation beyond the simple adjustments above to values) and I spent days and hours tweaking, reading retweaking for very small improvements. It may be my lack of skill and learning curve, it may be difficulty of the Sharp CMS, but unless you like science experiments (I really do) there is little value added here for this amateur. As the dummy's guide above says, if you color gamut is at all in the ball park, you are 95% of the way there before hue and sat.

I know that is a long preface, but I think it is more important than my settings. All the usual caveats on different viewing and lighting conditions. I found that my settings held up over a fairly good set of backlights, and that I could adjust it to normal SD using color slider (down) and tint slider (up).

Movie mode
OPC off
Backlight -1
Contrast 30 (I found color sat problems above 30-31)
Brightness -1 (AVSHD disk is most helpful here and this setting is important)
Color 0
Tint 0
Sharpness 3
Hue: 2,8,2,6,5,1
Sat: 1,0,3,-3,13,3 Should have been 1,0,-3,-3,13,3
Value:" -5,-1,16,-3,-10" Should have been -5,-1,16,8,-3,-10
Color Temp Low
RGBlohi: "23,1,5,2,0,9" Should have been 23,1,5,22,0,9 but I like 24,-1,8,22,0,9 a bit more after a late night tweak
Gamma = 0 (this gave gamma close to 2.2)
black level low
film mode off
digital noise reduction off
color at -7 and tint at +7 seemed about right for SD

Have Fun,
Alan

P.S. Has anyone had a professional calibration of this model yet?
post #26 of 206 Old 09-21-2011, 08:01 PM

I will try out your settings Ailevin. But before I do, I wanted to post my new current settings that I shamelessly leeched from another Sharp thread at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1324688. I modified them to fit this tv a bit, so see what you think.

Standard Mode Settings:
OPC OFF
BACKLIGHT +16
Contrast +31
Brightness +1
Color -7
Tint -5
Sharpness +1
CMS HUE - R0,Y0,G0,C-5,B-19,M1
CMS SATURATION - r0,y3,g10,c-10,b-25,m-10
CMS VALUE - R-6,Y5,G30,C20,B25,M0
Color Temp - Medium, or Medium-Low if you want warmer
Motion Enhancement - Off
Active Contrast - Off
Gamma Adjustment 0
Film Mode Off
Digital Noise Reduction Off
Monochrome off
Range of OPC N/A
Power Savings - Off

Edit: I like your settings better than the ones I just posted, Ailevin. You are on to something there.
post #27 of 206 Old 09-21-2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ailevin View Post

Value: -5,-1,16,-3,-10

Alan, this sequence is either misprinted or missing a number, no? And I can't adjust the black level with PS3 Blu-ray input, but that's probably the PS3. Thanks for posting.
post #28 of 206 Old 09-22-2011, 01:26 AM

Al, Thx for the settings. I combined them w/ mine and it fixed my ultra bloomy whites. But I did keep my colorful color settings. Thx again. Also ur missing a number on the last CMS sequence. Black levels also cant be changed for me aswell?
post #29 of 206 Old 09-22-2011, 08:51 PM

I fixed the settings above, and unfortunately it was one in the middle that I left out on Value . I edited the message above to correct both the Value settings and also a typo in the Color Temp grey balance settings where a 2 should have been a 22. I redid my grey balance last night and changed it slightly so I added that to the post as well.

I want to reiterate that I was shooting for 709 accuracy not a personal preference, but it looks very natural to me both with movies and with TV, though I have to adjust the color/tint sliders for SD and to some slight extent from station to station. Also a reminder that the gray balance is important and that I was nowhere in the ballpark when I attempted to do it by eye. I expect those coefficients may well be "more typical" of this TV at low temp and I have found that those settings hold up pretty well even after I mess with CMS.

Alan
post #30 of 206 Old 09-23-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ailevin View Post

Movie mode
OPC off
Backlight -1
Contrast 30 (I found color sat problems above 30-31)
Backlight -1 (AVSHD disk is most helpful here and this setting is important)

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the Backlight listed twice. I assumed the second one was brightness?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Aquos 60 Led 1080p 240hz Hdtv Lc 60le633u
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com