HELP!! Audio Return Channel - Samsung UN46D7000 + Denon AVR-1912 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 48 Old 09-07-2011, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All,

First post here but I have done a TON of lurking!

TV: Samsung UN46D7000
AV Receiver: Denon AVR-1912

I am trying to set up the Audio Return Channel so I can stream Pandora/Netflix/etc from the TV and have it go through my Receiver but the manuals for both products are absolutely HORRENDOUS when it comes to instructions on setting up ARC.

Any help would be much appreciated!

,Cody
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 09-08-2011, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyst View Post

Hello All,

First post here but I have done a TON of lurking!

TV: Samsung UN46D7000
AV Receiver: Denon AVR-1912

I am trying to set up the Audio Return Channel so I can stream Pandora/Netflix/etc from the TV and have it go through my Receiver but the manuals for both products are absolutely HORRENDOUS when it comes to instructions on setting up ARC.

Any help would be much appreciated!

,Cody

I took a quick look at your link and I didn't see any mention that it supported ARC, only High Speed HDMI (of which ARC is a feature if supported by both devices). Why don't you use optical to your AVR?
post #3 of 48 Old 09-08-2011, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

I took a quick look at your link and I didn't see any mention that it supported ARC, only High Speed HDMI (of which ARC is a feature if supported by both devices). Why don't you use optical to your AVR?

Not sure which piece of equipment you were referring to about not being ARC compatible but both are and I got it all working today.
post #4 of 48 Old 09-08-2011, 03:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
The Samsung LED-LCD television's HDMI 2 input support the ARC function.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-2muI1a4...=detailed_info

Quote:
HDMI (v1.4): With six HDMI (v1.4) inputs, the AVR-1912 allows you to route multiple high-definition devices--like game consoles and Blu-ray players--to your TV. It also allows you to connect all of your devices to your TV with a single HDMI cable (via its HDMI monitor output), reducing cable clutter. The HDMI inputs are assignable to different input sources. They support HDCP copyright protection and are compatible with 3D signals, ARC, Deep Color, xvYCC technology, Auto LipSync, and HDMI control.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-d9FH6hr...=detailed_info

A quick glance of the specs indicate both devices support ARC.

Sorry... about the manuals, but take your time and read.

EDIT:
I type too slowly. Glad you figured it out.
post #5 of 48 Old 09-23-2011, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyst View Post

Not sure which piece of equipment you were referring to about not being ARC compatible but both are and I got it all working today.

I am having the same problem, I configured Simplink thru my LG LW5700 TV. When I select HT speakers for ARC it seems to be sending some signal to the Denon 1912 cause the when I increase the volume using the TV remote, even the Denon volume goes up and down. But no audio

What settings did you do in your Denon? I have set HDMI control to On Video mode to Auto..

Please help
post #6 of 48 Old 12-23-2011, 05:58 AM

I'm having the same problem with a Samsung UN55D7000 and Denon ARV-1912. I tried the ARC connections from rec to tv but no picture. It will work using the rec's ARC to the tv's HDMI DVI. I read turning the anynet+ off on the tv will solve it but it didn't. What settings did you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountRock View Post

I am having the same problem, I configured Simplink thru my LG LW5700 TV. When I select HT speakers for ARC it seems to be sending some signal to the Denon 1912 cause the when I increase the volume using the TV remote, even the Denon volume goes up and down. But no audio

What settings did you do in your Denon? I have set HDMI control to On Video mode to Auto..

Please help

post #7 of 48 Old 01-06-2012, 01:29 PM

What settings did you use to get ARC on your Denon/Samsung setup?

post #8 of 48 Old 01-08-2012, 08:36 AM

Samsung settings:
Anynet(HDMI1 CEC) = OFF
Denon HDMI settings:
Auto lip sync =O N
HDMI Audio Out = AMP
HDMI Control = ON
Standby Source = HDMI3
P.Off Control = OFF
post #9 of 48 Old 03-09-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacto newbie View Post

Samsung settings:
Anynet(HDMI1 CEC) = OFF
Denon HDMI settings:
Auto lip sync =O N
HDMI Audio Out = AMP
HDMI Control = ON
Standby Source = HDMI3
P.Off Control = OFF

Hi, I have tried these settings, but I've had no luck. I noticed on the back of my un55d7000 panel there is a "ARC HDMI 2." Should I be using this? By the way I have an ARC-1912. Right now I have one HDMI Ethernet running from my "out7" on the AVR, to HDMI3. I don't want to use an optical because this whole ARC thing should work. lol..right?
post #10 of 48 Old 05-18-2012, 02:57 PM

I have the same Samsung and Denon receiver. You need to have the HDMI cable connected to HDMI 2 on the samsung and then connect the other end to the OUTPUT HDMI in the Denon, don't use the inputs. And just make sure you have the ARC setting to AMP in the Denon.
post #11 of 48 Old 07-01-2012, 05:37 PM

I was looking for this issue, and managed to make it happen. I posted the below in another post as well, I'm double posting here, just for the sake of helping others:

I don't know if this is still of use to anyone, but:

My system is with the PN64D8000 (paired witha Denon AVR 1912). I know there may have been an upgrade from the UN46D7000, but I get Dolby Digital 5.1 (no DTS-HD nor DD-HD) with my PS3 hooked up to my TV, and my TV to my AVR via ARC. Before anyone asks why do so, I have my reasons as others who want to do likewise (not enough inputs on the AVR, short cables etc.). So here it is how it worked for me:

- PS3 at TV's HDMI 3
- AVR at TV's HDMI 2 (ARC)
- at PS3 go to Video Setup>Audio OUT>BITSTREAM
- At TV you should get at Setup>sound>SPDIF>Dolby
- Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) - ON
- at AVR>HDMI Setup>HDMI Control> Turn On (StandBy Source>last --- P.Off.Control>OFF)

I hope this helps.
post #12 of 48 Old 02-24-2013, 12:21 PM

i am currently having the same problem I have a Samsung UN46D7000 and a Denon 1912. I am able to get Netflix to play through my receiver but the only problem i'm havving is when i try to watch cable tv. After about 5 seconds of my TV, Cable box and receiver being turned on the receiver switches to the "TV" input and my signal from the cable box dissapears. To fix this I need to change the input on my receiver back to "cable", is their a way to fix this? Thanks
post #13 of 48 Old 06-19-2013, 08:21 PM

Hi stanyoung, I have a similar setup to yours and am experiencing the same issue with the input being switched to TV and cable box disappears. Did you resolve this and if so, how?

Thanks!

Bob
post #14 of 48 Old 07-28-2013, 10:01 AM

I had the same problem using a Samsung 3313CI receiver to a Samsung 6000 series TV and just got it working. Here are the tricks.

On the TV:
  • Use HDMI 2 (ARC)
  • Enable Anynet+ HDMI control

On the receiver:
  • Enable HDMI control
  • Make sure the HDMI control port is the same HDMI output port that the TV plugs in
post #15 of 48 Old 10-17-2013, 08:11 AM

Hope some of the posters above will be able to help.
My Denon 1912 is located a floor above, with a 15m HDMI lead from the output of the AMP to HDMI 2 (ARC) on Samsung ES7000.
Apple TV2 connected to Amp and sound plays through my room speakers.
Do I understand that sources connected directly to the TV, aerial, satellite or iPlayer will play by sending the sound back through the HDMI and on to the speakers.
There is only one HDMI cable, in total ??

I have the display of the volume of the amp showing on the TV but I have no sound.
I am sure that it is only something small that I have wrong.

Hope you can help !

Joe
post #16 of 48 Old 10-17-2013, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

I would connect your devices to the avr directly and not the tv. That way, the audio portion is played thru the avr and just the video portion is sent to the tv. If you have a SmartTV then the smart apps will be able to send their audio back thru the ARC input to the avr. But you will be limited to 5.1 because ARC can not handle lossless audio (Dolby DTS-MA, etc). ARC and CEC-enabled devices have always been a problem for me so I just run everything thru the avr first and then a single (non-ARC) HDMI out to the tv. For OTA television, I just use an optical cable to the avr so I can listen to discreet 5.1 when presented OTA. I'm not sure how well, if at all, ARC works with external devices like OTA, sat, iPlayer etc. I think it's only designed for a connection between the avr and the tv.
post #17 of 48 Old 10-17-2013, 09:29 AM

Hi Otto,

Thanks for the reply.
It have a nice pair of a kef slim speakers beside my TV. I want to be able to listen to my OTA, satellite or iPlayer through these speakers.
I think I am connected as I can not control the ATV2 using the volume of the TV remote to control the Amp. It's just that these is no sound for the other s listed above. Can't use optical because of the tricky run.
What do you mean by non ARC HDMI ?
post #18 of 48 Old 10-17-2013, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

My avr is ARC capable but the tv is not. Both devices have to be ARC capable to use the Audio Return Channel. So by "non-ARC HDMI" I mean that the connection between the ARC-capable HDMI output of the avr and the standard HDMI input of the tv functions as a regular HDMI ouput/input, iow, one way only for audio. It sounds like your tv is not capable of passing audio from an external source to the avr via the tv's ARC-capable HDMI out, which is not uncommon. Using the internal SmartApps shouldn't be an issue for ARC but I'm not sure about the internal ATSC tuner (OTA). I have OTA and just use the optical out when watching television. My ATV2 goes thru the avr and then out to the tv. Same for the blu-ray player. To use the KEF speakers as you want, you'll probably have to run your devices thru the avr first as I mentioned so that the audio goes thru the avr and only video is passed to the tv. For OTA, the use of an optical cable would be your best, and most reliable connection. Make sure yout tv's internal speakers are turned off and the correct input(s) are selected. There are probably other ways to connect but they may be more of a hassle to setup. ARC is only really useful in that it eliminates the need to use an extra cable (optical) and, as it appears in your case, unable to pass audio from an external source connected directly to the tv.
post #19 of 48 Old 10-17-2013, 12:54 PM

Hi Otto,

Thanks again for the advice. The Samsung 7 Series is definitely ARC compliant, as it the Denon 1912.

It was difficult pulling the HDMI between the two rooms and I would not like to pull an optical cable, for fear of damaging the cable..
I can see the volume of the Denon displayed on the TV but there is no sound. There must be something that I need to tick in the setup ?

Joe
post #20 of 48 Old 10-17-2013, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Are you using certified high speed HDMI cables? You may want to contact Samsung and ask if the audio stream from an external device that is connected directly to the tv via any of its HDMI inputs is passed thru the HDMI out of the tv. How many HDMI inputs (not outputs) does the Denon have? Remember, they have to be labled as an ARC capable input. My receiver for example has a single HDMI/ARC output which goes to the tv. The other 4 HDMI inputs are HDMI only. My guess is that your Samsung only has one HDMI input that is ARC capable. All the ohter tv's HDMI inputs are HDMI only and will function as such. They will receive audio and play it thru the tv's internal speakers but not pass it thru the HDMI/ARC output to the avr. Have you turned off the tv's speakers and set it to external audio or what ever the Samsung calls it and see if that works. Just because you can see the volume setting on the tv doesn't necessarily mean that the audio stream is making it to the avr.
post #21 of 48 Old 10-17-2013, 04:14 PM

Have you turned off the tv's speakers and set it to external audio or what ever the Samsung calls it and see if that works. Just because you can see the volume setting on the tv doesn't necessarily mean that the audio stream is making it to the avr

Ho Otto,

I will try and answer your questions and hope that it will lead to a solution.
No, the only HDMI lead is the one form the avr to HDMI 2 o(ARC) f the TV. Don't think it was bought as a certified high speed cable.
There are no devices connected locally to the TV. Only connection is from the avr
Denon 1912 has 4 HDMI inputs. I thought it was the output of the avr was the one that was ARC compatible.
Have not turned off the TV speakers yet. "External audio", will have to read about that.

Thanks again for your input.

Joe
post #22 of 48 Old 10-17-2013, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, We're getting somewhere. I'm not familiar with the Denon so you might want to check the manual and see for sure that the single HDMI output is indeed ARC compatible. I would connect one device at a time to test. Do you get any sound at all when you connect a single device? For OTA, where you connect the antenna coax to the Ant/Cable input of the tv, you are using the internal ATSC tuner in which case your only audio choice should be the internal speakers or audio via optical. I haven't looked up your tv so I don't know if the Samsung can pass audio from the ATSC tuner out via HDMI or not. I kinda doubt it but who knows?

On my LG, I just leave the tv speakers off all of the time and use external audio (or speakers, I forget exactly what it's called) so that everything we listen to plays thru the avr.
post #23 of 48 Old 10-18-2013, 01:28 AM

Great we are getting somewhere.
The output of the Denon is ARC compatilble.
I have the Apple TV2 connected as an input to the Denon and have sound at the speakers.
I have just reconnected the in-built sat receiver in the Samsung.
No sound. Samsung is set to external speaker.Volume control of Denon appears across TV screen but no sound. Manuals very poor !
post #24 of 48 Old 10-18-2013, 08:58 AM

The Denon AVR-1912 is equipped with a 7 channel power amplifier rated at 90-watts (into 8-ohms, at 20-20kHz, with 0.08% THD, driving 2 channels) that reproduces high-fidelity sound in surround mode with equal quality and power for all channels, true to the original sound. The power amplifier circuit adopts a discrete-circuit configuration that achieves high-quality surround sound reproduction. To faithfully reproduce the original surround sound, each of the Denon AVR-1912's seven channels are equipped with its own high-current power amp of equal power. Since these power amps also use discrete circuits configured with parts strictly selected for their contribution to high sound quality, rather than with low-cost integrated circuits (ICs), the surround sound playback is of impeccably high quality.

post #25 of 48 Old 10-18-2013, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^^^ that's all nice and fine marketing info but how does that help the OP with his setup?
post #26 of 48 Old 10-18-2013, 11:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Now that's some high quality cutting and pasting! biggrin.gif
post #27 of 48 Old 10-18-2013, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

Now that's some high quality cutting and pasting! biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
post #28 of 48 Old 10-19-2013, 02:22 AM

It sure was but not much use to me.
You said ti try the inputs one at at time.
The Apple TV works as an input to the Denon.
The Net input works as it sources my NAS and plays.
Really just want iPlayer to work as ATV2 takes care of Netflix.
post #29 of 48 Old 10-19-2013, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok. I looked up iPlayer because I wasn't familiar with it. It appears to be a BBC streaming device/software, correct? Can you explain how it works and how, or what the software is loaded into. If you connect the iPlayer directly to your tv and using the tv's speakers, with nothing else connected, do you get audio?
post #30 of 48 Old 10-19-2013, 02:04 PM

Hi Otto,

Maybe I should have explained that I am across the Atlantic, In Ireland.
It's a Smart TV and iPlayer is a Catch up app I suppose.
It also has a built in tuner and an aerial input.
No sound from any of these when selected.
Today I connected a combi box by HDMI to the amp. It gives me my satellite channels and those from the aerial in a single box. Do you call one of these OTA.
I have sound from this combi box.
So the only thing that I do not have sound from is my app for catch up TV.
Hope this explains !
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un46d7000 46 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page