Official Sony KDL-XXBX520 Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 47 Old 02-29-2012, 12:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well the update is they delivered it today, and we just set it up a couple hours ago -- wifey's watching Toy Story 3 on Netflix, and the picture is crazy. We had a 40" Sony before but the experience on this screen is substantially better. It has a little bit of the soap opera look even with all the motionflow etc things turned off but it's slight and I actually don't mind it. The small glitch is that I can't control my stereo amp using the TV remote like I could with the 40", but that only matters to me because I lost my amp's remote years ago. Anyway, thrilled with it so far. Of course we'll have to see if it holds up over the years but I'm just relieved that everything looks okay out of the box. Linked up with the "I Have a Defective Sony TV" Facebook page just in case I ever need it. Another small problem is that it doesn't come with a strap for securing the base to a screw in the back like our 40" does, which is annoying, but we'll figure something out and we don't have kids so it's nothing urgent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 Old 03-01-2012, 03:08 PM

Getting one of these for $575 as a replacement for my kds-50A2020. Just have to send them some info, and then they will ship it. It was this or a discontinued KDL-46EX521

I am really looking forward to this.
post #33 of 47 Old 03-01-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangawookie View Post

Getting one of these for $575 as a replacement for my kds-50A2020. Just have to send them some info, and then they will ship it. It was this or a discontinued KDL-46EX521

I am really looking forward to this.

Green blob, purple spots, blue haze, or other?

The more I know, the more I realize I don't know.
post #34 of 47 Old 04-05-2012, 02:44 PM

I had been wanting to get a new TV for the last few years, but having invested in the XBR1 I could not justify it. Well the XBR1 became a paperweight a few weeks ago. Being invested I was trying to find parts and came across the class action lawsuit. Contacting Sony for support, they offered this up as a replacement. While waiting I got the chance to watch the Final 4 on my buddy's Visio plasma he got at Christmas. I was only hoping for such a good picture on my replacement. It was worth the wait. This display is awsome. Everything has such depth and color. I have searched the web and cannot find any complaints except for the 2 HDMI ports. I have a Pioneer Elite series receiver and you able to control it with the TV remote. I cannot wait to watch some sports, especially football. Baseball will have to due for now, but what would you expect from a LG display. After falling on their face with XBR1 - they have madeup for it with this KDS-55BX520.
post #35 of 47 Old 04-11-2012, 06:49 PM

I picked up a 55BX520 about a month ago and have been pretty pleased overall.

I say pretty pleased because the picture isn't always where I want it to be. It seems like there's always a little blur and lack of overall clarity when I'm tuned into some of my sports and shows. I'm a UVerse (cable) user so I don't know if this should be expected or what.

I've found the best looking picture for me is the sports setting. Does anyone have a similar set up and have some recommended settings for a big time sports watcher?

Thanks for the help!
post #36 of 47 Old 04-15-2012, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I notice on everyones suggested settings, noise reduction, mpg noise reduction,motion flow, and cinemotion, are all suggested as "off". Arent some of these advantages that should be utilized. Am I mising something? Any help would be appreciated.

Some days you are the bug, some days you are the windshield........
post #37 of 47 Old 04-17-2012, 09:23 PM

Two small quibbles after owning mine for a couple of months now. One, the black levels could be better. 95% of the time it's not noticeable, but after seeing Titanic in a movie theater last week I did notice a few night scenes and said to myself "yeah, that probably wouldn't have been as clear on my tv." The second is there is no headphone port. I've ordered an amplifier so it doesn't matter in the long run, but it would have been nice to at least have had the option of saving money (and space) by just plugging in 2.1 set of multimedia speakers, for example. If you can get it for less than a thousand then I don't consider these dealbreakers, just throwing in some more info. No defect-type problems so far, fingers crossed.
post #38 of 47 Old 04-20-2012, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acco20 View Post

I notice on everyones suggested settings, noise reduction, mpg noise reduction,motion flow, and cinemotion, are all suggested as "off". Arent some of these advantages that should be utilized. Am I mising something? Any help would be appreciated.

The benefits and hazards of these particular features are discussed at length throughout the forum so I won't get into specifics as I am no expert and there are plenty of them around.

Basically (and I'm generalizing now), these are all designed to get you a cleaner or smoother picture. However, it is my sincere belief that they do so at the expense of fine detail. And at least for me, detail is the whole ballgame.

post #39 of 47 Old 04-22-2012, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrian View Post

The benefits and hazards of these particular features are discussed at length throughout the forum so I won't get into specifics as I am no expert and there are plenty of them around.

Basically (and I'm generalizing now), these are all designed to get you a cleaner or smoother picture. However, it is my sincere belief that they do so at the expense of fine detail. And at least for me, detail is the whole ballgame.

Thank you warrian, another question to you, or anyone who may have an opinion. I also own a sony KDS60a3000. Back in 2007 just after it was introduced, there was a lot of talk about its ability to upconvert the signal received to 1080p. It was suggested to leave the setting on your cable box to "native" setting and let the sony do the conversion as it would do a much better job. Is this still true with the KDL55bx520? I believe the 520 uses the bravia2 engine. I have my cox cable box set to 1080i. Not sure I have made the best choice. Thank you.

Some days you are the bug, some days you are the windshield........
post #40 of 47 Old 07-15-2012, 08:25 AM

Liked: 11
Picked up recently to replace a Sony 46" W3100 series from a few years back. Bought it as a valued upgrade in size. It was also the best TV available at the store I collect loyalty points at.

The blacks are acceptable but nowhere near what I have seen from a plasma or LED. The clouding is obvious on a dark scene. I would say it is slightly worse than the W series. Nothing horrible but obviously not the best.

I run a dual projector and LCD set up in the home theatre and going to 55" makes LCD movie watching much easier. I don't feel the need to fire up the projector as much now. Especially DVD's which don't like blowing up on a projector.

I have an outboard processor so no comment on the bravia 2 engine. My W series was also Bravia 2 engine. I need the processor for the dual output also to separate TV and projector. When I was comparing with the 2007 W-series, the outboard Key Digital processor was better on 1080i source material deinterlacing and scaling to 1080p so I would deduce it's better than the BX520 processor also.

Bottom line good value for the size. Once it is home you will like it. At the store comparisons will also show other models better. I was looking for a good large panel with no bells & whistles and this panel works.

Thanks for the settings earlier in this thread. Save me a lot of fiddling time.
post #41 of 47 Old 08-05-2012, 09:36 PM

I just picked this set up a few weeks ago and overall, I am loving it!! Jumped up from a 40" Samsung LCD.

One thing I have noticed is that when I am watching cable and the show is full screen, during fast panning sequences either from side to side or up and down, there is some blurring on the edges of the screen (i.e. where the black bars would be if it wasn't a full screen). Has anyone else noticed this? It doesn't happen during sports or nature programs, only movies and regular tv shows like sitcoms. I'm thinking it's probably just something to do with my cable signal from Rogers but maybe there is a setting I can change to avoid this. It does happen on blu rays too.

Thanks for any help you can give me!
post #42 of 47 Old 10-12-2012, 05:39 PM

Hi, I recently purchased this tv.

I was wondering what are the best settings for watching movies

and the best settings for xbox 360

Thank you
post #43 of 47 Old 10-13-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candacecorn View Post

Hi, I recently purchased this tv.
I was wondering what are the best settings for watching movies
and the best settings for xbox 360
Thank you

Hi,Does this TV have a game mode and how is the input lag?Thinking about getting it for my gaming and movie needs...
post #44 of 47 Old 10-23-2012, 06:53 PM

I just bought a Sony Bravia KDL55BX520
It was on store display and I can't seem to get it out of "Store Display Mode"(Demo mode)
I tried a web search and everybody keeps saying to hold the up arrow and hit the power button but nothing happens.

"I'd like to thank everyone for making my setup look like a pile of crap."
post #45 of 47 Old 07-24-2013, 10:09 PM

Hello,

I own a model KDL-55BX520 Sony television, and I'm trying to find a compatible and affordable wall mount.

According to the specifications, it has a VESA Hole Pitch of 400 x 300 mm.

Do any of you own this same model, and have it mounted to your wall? If so, what mount are you using?

Thanks in advance!
post #46 of 47 Old 08-01-2013, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberclaw77 View Post

Hello,

I own a model KDL-55BX520 Sony television, and I'm trying to find a compatible and affordable wall mount.

According to the specifications, it has a VESA Hole Pitch of 400 x 300 mm.

Do any of you own this same model, and have it mounted to your wall? If so, what mount are you using?

Thanks in advance!

I have the KDL-55BX520 and have it mounted on my wall. I bought this mounting bracket from Monoprice. It's solid as can be.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082801&p_id=4174&seq=1&format=2
post #47 of 47 Old 08-20-2013, 10:09 AM

I love this tv picture quality is good and no smart tv crap. My other boxes can handle that. Besides having to buy a hdmi switch it has been a great buy for me...

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Kdl55bx520 55 Inch Bravia Bx520 Series Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page