Official Sony KDL-XXBX520 Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 47 Old 09-07-2011, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 133
So it appears Sony has released a successor to its 2010 EX500 CCFL, at least in a 55" size. 4 HDMI, Motionflow 120Hz. Design looks nearly identical to the BX420 from the pictures. So people, looking for a large CCFL over edge LED, rejoice. A search for 46" and smaller sizes return nothing so far.

Sony Style link: http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&partNumber=KDL55BX520#additionalImage1"

Sony eSupport link:
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...mdl=KDL55BX520

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, RX1; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D, Panamax M-5100PM
2ch Sony 32" W650A, Sonus faber Toy Monitor, REL T3, Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Panamax MR4300
pc Monitor Audio Radius 90HD, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
+ Sony 65" XBRX850B, Sony BDP-S5100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 09-30-2011, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Very excited for this panel.

Has anyone heard if this has the Bravia-3 engine (similar to the EX500's Bravia-2) or the X-Reality engine? Have any non-LED sets from Sony been released with the X-Reality?

Anyone know what Sony is claiming the "contrast ratio" is?

If this is essentially the same panel as the 55EX500/501 but with a slightly more attractive (read: fully black) frame, I'm on board.

Time to send the HP Media Smart out to pasture.

post #3 of 47 Old 10-07-2011, 08:50 AM

Well, I online chatted with a Sony Product Rep yesterday and got answers to a couple of my own questions. The 55BX520 uses the newer X-Reality Engine and like all Sony TVs released in 2011, claims to have a Infinite: 1 contrast ratio.

I plan on picking one of these up Saturday. I'm pretty bad at taking and uploading pictures, but I'll try and report back after I've spent some time with it.

post #4 of 47 Old 10-10-2011, 12:02 PM

Got this home on Saturday and so far I really like it. A couple things though.

1) This panel only has 2 HDMI inputs. I've seen both 2 and 4 listed various places but unless the others are very well hidden indeed, it only has 2.

2) My panel has an overly bright top left corner and a little flashlighting in the top center. It seems to me virtually all LCD screens in this price range have a couple of places where the backlight bleeds through. I only mention it in case those two hot spots develop in to a pattern as more people buy the TV and post about it. In any case, it is much more evenly lit that the comparable edge lit model (EX620) they had in the show room, although that screen was likely set to "torch" so direct comparisons may not be fair.

3) For now, I've been using the settings detailed over on the EX500/501 thread as this panel seems to be a direct replacement for those (at least the 55" version) and they have provided a nice starting point for picture tweaking, although they are a little washed out on the color side of things. The factory settings were nothing short of horrible on this set, which I have to say, surprised me a little.

More to come.

post #5 of 47 Old 10-20-2011, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just got this TV two days ago as my first step into HD land. It replaced our old 32 inch CRT. So far I have to say that I am quite impressed with this TV. While not as "feature rich" as other models, it's a great entry level TV. I have no basis of personal comparison, but I think that the blacks are good, and the colors rich. Very little flashlighting on a black screen. All in all, very impressed, and highly recommended for those looking for a decent entry level LCD that can do without LED backlighting.
post #6 of 47 Old 10-21-2011, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I just picked this LCD up from Best Buy. I was actually looking at the KDL55EX500 for 1,099 but they said it was discontinued (confirmed) and that they had to order it from the warehouse. Well, I hate waiting for things but it was my favorite out of a Samsung LED (reviews and reading proved quite a bit of flashlighting and clouding on that one) and a Sharp 60 inch LED, which I thought looked very good but when motion got fast, it couldn't handle it.

Anyway, I went ahead and tried to order the KDL55EX500...but then the manager came over and said they just got the newer model on the truck...the KDL55BX520. It was 100 more and I could have it now so I went ahead and took it. Really hoping I made the right choice. There's definitely not much reading on this model. I looked at tv's for probably 4 hours today between two stores. To make the decision on the BX520 when I couldn't see it in action really got to me. They didn't have a floor model of it up yet.
post #7 of 47 Old 10-24-2011, 05:37 PM

Here are some settings I've come up with over the last 2 weeks. I haven't settled on anything but I thought these might be helpful as the crazy high contrast factory settings are horrible for this TV. I used serialmike's settings for his 60" EX500 as a launching point: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post20466721 Then I tweaked them based on my on personal preferences (fairly saturated colors, pretty inky black levels, low noise but with as much shadow detail as possible...).

I'm not a gamer so these take no gaming specific concerns into account.

Custom Picture Mode
Backlight: 3 (I've found I can actually get away with 2 for Blu-Ray)
Picture: 85
Brightness: 48
Color: 52
Hue: R1
Color Temp: Neutral
Sharpness: 3
Noise Reduction: Off
MPG Noise Reduction: Off
MotionFlow: Off
Cinemotion: Off

Advanced Settings
Advanced Contrast Enhancer: Off
Black Corrector: Low (I really like dark blacks but this does crush them a little)
Gamma: +2 (helps greatly compensate for the low brightness setting without adding noise)
Clear White: Off
Live Color: Low (gives the colors a little extra pop. kind of a cheat though)

White Balance-
RGain: -4
GGain: -5
BGain: -24 (needed when you choose neutral as the color temp)
RBias: -2
GBias: -3
BBias: 0

Picture Size: Full Pixel
Power Save: Off
Ambient Light Sensor: Off

Skin tones are admittedly tricky. Some news shows and talk shows (Sports Center, Daily Show etc.) can feel quite over-saturated, but on regular TV shows and especially on Blu-Ray, I think these look quite realistic. Conan for example looks a little like a carrot during his monologue etc. but if he appears in a pre-taped video segment without makeup, he looks like a perfectly normal person.

I hate washed out and grey 'blacks' and as a consequence, my settings may lack that initial 'pop' people expect from a HDTV (especially in well lit rooms). They may also compromise shadow detail just a bit. Cheating up the backlight a little (and certainly turning off "black corrector") will help if you find my settings a little too dreary

So far I love this TV.

post #8 of 47 Old 10-26-2011, 05:42 PM

Warrian,

Your settings provided great levels. They were a little dark for me, as I have a more well lit room during the daytime hours. I raised the backlight level a notch or two and turned off the black corrector but your color settings are great. I've had this TV for just over a week now, and it's fantastic. I got it wall mounted with a mount from Monoprice.

Like you, I love this TV so far.
post #9 of 47 Old 11-30-2011, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone else here have the Sony KDL55BX520? Notice this thread hasnt been updated in over a month and thinking maybe this model isnt too popular. Saw it at bestbuy and it looked nice for the price but there is zero reviews out there. Hoping to get some opinions.
post #10 of 47 Old 01-18-2012, 10:45 AM

I've got one coming as a Sony-subsidized replacement for a POS SXRD. I'll post my findings once I've played with it.

The more I know, the more I realize I don't know.
post #11 of 47 Old 01-24-2012, 02:46 AM

Interested too.

XBL GTÂ vFLOODv
post #12 of 47 Old 01-24-2012, 06:55 AM

I just received confirmation TODAY that they received my paperwork (serial number tag and photo of the problem) so it will be a few weeks before I get the TV. I'm sorry for the delay.

post #13 of 47 Old 01-28-2012, 08:42 AM

I received my 55BX520 yesterday. I haven't had a lot of time to play with it just yet, but so far, it's a heck of a lot better than the SuXRD it replaced. Blacks are significantly better than my old TV (they're not dark blue) and the picture is richer and sharper.

The settings under 'custom' are pretty close to where I like them although I did make some quick tweaks to get it a bit better.

Things I don't like:
  • A bright spot in the top right corner, but its only really noticeable on a blank screen.
  • Some weird rectangular vertical columns that appear in some bright scenes, which I saw some folks talking about in the EX500 thread.

Once I've had more time to mess with it, I'll post my settings.

post #14 of 47 Old 01-30-2012, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
I just picked up the 55" of this model yesterday. GREAT TV!!

Brilliant picture, even with HTPC!! (since it supports 4:4:4 RGB over HDMI when using Game or Graphics modes)

The only negative I have about it is the only 2 HDMI ports, but I have a Yamaha Receiver that fixes that. :-)

I recommend!

Current HT setup:

Samsung UN65F6300 65" LCD HDTV, Polk CS20 Center, 2x Polk Monitor 75T Fronts, 2x Polk TSI300 Backs, Polk PSW110 Subwoofer.

post #15 of 47 Old 01-30-2012, 09:33 PM
Advanced Member

Just noticed something interesting about my display...

I was curious about the panel type in my 55BX520 after going into the service menu and seeing LG_FHD_55 as the panel type.

Looking in the back of the grill of the TV confirms an LG Display logo.

I don't have a magnifying glass but I put my eyes up to the TV pretty damn close (all white screen so I could attempt to make out the sub pixels) and I'm pretty sure my 55" KDL55BX520 is rocking an IPS panel by verifying the pattern. (As well as the whole information from the TV and logo...)

Current HT setup:

Samsung UN65F6300 65" LCD HDTV, Polk CS20 Center, 2x Polk Monitor 75T Fronts, 2x Polk TSI300 Backs, Polk PSW110 Subwoofer.

post #16 of 47 Old 01-31-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodaboy581 View Post

Just noticed something interesting about my display...

I was curious about the panel type in my 55BX520 after going into the service menu and seeing LG_FHD_55 as the panel type.

Looking in the back of the grill of the TV confirms an LG Display logo.

I don't have a magnifying glass but I put my eyes up to the TV pretty damn close (all white screen so I could attempt to make out the sub pixels) and I'm pretty sure my 55" KDL55BX520 is rocking an IPS panel by verifying the pattern. (As well as the whole information from the TV and logo...)

Any confirmation on your panel being IPS? I looked at this model along with the Sharp LC60LE632U and Samsung UN55D6000SFXZA tonight at Best Buy but I want to do more research. If this model though is sporting an IPS panel that may tip the scales in its favor.
post #17 of 47 Old 02-01-2012, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor1 View Post

Any confirmation on your panel being IPS? I looked at this model along with the Sharp LC60LE632U and Samsung UN55D6000SFXZA tonight at Best Buy but I want to do more research. If this model though is sporting an IPS panel that may tip the scales in its favor.

I will have confirmation for you today when I get home from work. Bringing a magnifying glass from my job, haha. I meant to bring it yesterday but forgot!! It's sitting in my car now, so I'll look at it and hopefully be able to snap a photo using a combination of the glass and my iPhone to post up here.

Current HT setup:

post #18 of 47 Old 02-02-2012, 12:44 AM
Advanced Member

OK, here ya go! Definitely looks like S-IPS to me.

Here's the service menu:

Here's the sub-pixel structure:

Current HT setup:

post #19 of 47 Old 02-11-2012, 11:47 AM

Can anyone comment on how much difference there is in picture quality between the KDL55BX520 vs. the KDL55NX720?

I don't care about widgets or internet applications or 3D (especially since the glasses are extra). But I am curious to know if the NX720's improved specs (e.g. Motion 240, Optiglare, etc.) make a significant difference in picture quality to just an extra $300. My local store has discontinued these models so I cannot do a direct comparison -- and their in store settings are usually horrible anyway.
post #20 of 47 Old 02-12-2012, 07:56 PM

Greetings All!

I was offered the 55" BX520 by Sony customer care for $675 (US), as a resolution to the GB optical block issue (well documented throughout the web) which has infected my KDS-R60XBR1 (purchased back in 2006).

Is that deal worth jumping on? How will this set perform in a room that gets considerable sunlight? It was always a problem with the XBR1, but that is a projection set..

I was also offered a KDL-60EX720 for $1425, as a replacement option, but I am not sure I want to invest in a 3D yet, since the technology seems to be still evolving (active vs passive, etc).

I appreciate your opinions!
post #21 of 47 Old 02-13-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye_dot View Post

Greetings All!

I was offered the 55" BX520 by Sony customer care for $675 (US), as a resolution to the GB optical block issue (well documented throughout the web) which has infected my KDS-R60XBR1 (purchased back in 2006).

Is that deal worth jumping on? How will this set perform in a room that gets considerable sunlight? It was always a problem with the XBR1, but that is a projection set..

I was also offered a KDL-60EX720 for $1425, as a replacement option, but I am not sure I want to invest in a 3D yet, since the technology seems to be still evolving (active vs passive, etc).

I appreciate your opinions!

Hey Buckeye,

My major concern would be the slightly reflective screen. It's not a glossy screen or anything like a glass plasma screen but it is not truly matte either. It has the Sony semi-matte satin thing going and if a window or similarly bright light source was in your viewing angle, its reflection will show up on the screen.

It also depends on how sensitive you are to such things. I was annoyed enough by seeing the apple logo on the back of lap top in the TV that I put a cover over it. But all of the windows in my living room are behind the TV so I get no glare from them or the overhead lighting fixture.

There is some noticeable flashlighting in the top center of my panel and I've seen that reported elsewhere as well. It will be slightly more pronounced with brightness levels up (for a bright room) and is particularly noticeable on letterboxed movies. It is quite minor compared to my last TV and some others I've seen including Sony's LED in the same price range, which is why I chose to stick with the CCFL for now.

Other than those couple of things, it's a very nice starting level LCD with excellent black levels and is capable of quite bit of fine detail to my eyes. Really wonderful with the right settings. The hyper-contrast out-of-box settings in all modes make everything look very 'HD Video' and not very film-like but I'm thrilled with tweaks I found starting with the 55EX500 calibrated settings out there as a guide.

Hope that helps.

post #22 of 47 Old 02-13-2012, 06:43 PM

^Warrian, I used your settings as a starting point and am pretty happy with the TV overall. I have the flashlighting issue as well but it's a minor gripe.

My whites were kinda pink though, so I turned down the red gain A LOT (-25)to compensate. Something about pink clouds, pink snow and pink seagulls that just doesn't sit right with me. That's not to bash your settings...I bet it's expected that things look 'warm' on a properly calibrated TV.

Cue the "you're nowhere near 6500K anymore" people.

post #23 of 47 Old 02-15-2012, 10:37 AM

Strange. I truly don't see any pink bias at all, at least not in the white balance.

I do have to admit that I prefer warmer skin tones and the like over even the hint of favoring green. So pink clouds may just be result of some unconscious leaning of mine. At least the neutral color temp keeps all the amber and brown whites at bay.

Glad the the settings were able to help get you started anyway. They are in no way professionally calibrated. Just my best guess based on the calibrations of similar products. I'll be interested to see more settings as more and more people pick up this set.

post #24 of 47 Old 02-15-2012, 10:44 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BRAVIA-KDL55HX820-55-Inch-Built-/dp/B004QXFI04/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1329327806&sr=1-1

I'm looking to buy a new tv with my tax return, but don't know much about them. Is this a good price? Thanks!
post #25 of 47 Old 02-15-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrian View Post

Strange. I truly don't see any pink bias at all, at least not in the white balance.

I do have to admit that I prefer warmer skin tones and the like over even the hint of favoring green. So pink clouds may just be result of some unconscious leaning of mine. At least the neutral color temp keeps all the amber and brown whites at bay.

Glad the the settings were able to help get you started anyway. They are in no way professionally calibrated. Just my best guess based on the calibrations of similar products. I'll be interested to see more settings as more and more people pick up this set.

Gotcha.

I calibrated my TV with the Blu-ray WOW disk after initially settting it to your settings. I adjusted the white balance by eye (a cardinal sin, I know) on a grayscale pattern after noticing the pink whites. After adjusting the white balance, I went back through the WOW disk including the woman's face shot and the basket of vegetables and all looked great to my eyes.

I did bump the color by one or two notches just to give it a little more pop.

I'll post my settings later today or tomorrow. I'd be interested in having someone try them (at least the white balance) and objectively tell me if it made their picture looked better, worse or neither. Especially on whites. Maybe my settings cause me to lose something somewhere that I am not aware of.

post #26 of 47 Old 02-15-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alec32 View Post

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BRAVIA-KDL55HX820-55-Inch-Built-/dp/B004QXFI04/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1329327806&sr=1-1

I'm looking to buy a new tv with my tax return, but don't know much about them. Is this a good price? Thanks!

Looks very different than the TV being discussed here (LED backlight, 3D with active glasses NOT included, Internet apps). You might check for a dedicated thread on it.

post #27 of 47 Old 02-15-2012, 05:43 PM

My settings using the Blu-Ray Wow disk and eyeballing white balance with the Wow grayscale pattern. Note this is for Blu-ray only (we don't have cable/satellite).

EDIT: My TV room was dark during calibration, since this is the environment I generally watch movies in. For reference, it was light enough to not walk into furniture but dark enough to not be able to read the characters on my remote.

Custom Picture Mode
Backlight: 2
Picture: 99
Brightness: 51
Color: 47 (lower than I remember it)
Hue: R1
Color Temp: Neutral
Sharpness: Min
Noise Reduction: Off
MPG Noise Reduction: Off
MotionFlow: Off
Cinemotion: Off

Advanced Settings
Advanced Contrast Enhancer: Off
Black Corrector: Off
Gamma: 0
Clear White: Off
Live Color: Off

White Balance
RGain: -25
GGain: -15
BGain: -24
RBias: 0
GBias: 0
BBias: 0 (I set this last three to zero for no apparent reason).

Picture Size: Full Pixel
Power Save: Off
Ambient Light Sensor: Off

Call me a hack, but these work for me!

post #28 of 47 Old 02-18-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrian View Post

Hey Buckeye,

My major concern would be the slightly reflective screen. It's not a glossy screen or anything like a glass plasma screen but it is not truly matte either. It has the Sony semi-matte satin thing going and if a window or similarly bright light source was in your viewing angle, its reflection will show up on the screen.

It also depends on how sensitive you are to such things. I was annoyed enough by seeing the apple logo on the back of lap top in the TV that I put a cover over it. But all of the windows in my living room are behind the TV so I get no glare from them or the overhead lighting fixture.

There is some noticeable flashlighting in the top center of my panel and I've seen that reported elsewhere as well. It will be slightly more pronounced with brightness levels up (for a bright room) and is particularly noticeable on letterboxed movies. It is quite minor compared to my last TV and some others I've seen including Sony's LED in the same price range, which is why I chose to stick with the CCFL for now.

Other than those couple of things, it's a very nice starting level LCD with excellent black levels and is capable of quite bit of fine detail to my eyes. Really wonderful with the right settings. The hyper-contrast out-of-box settings in all modes make everything look very 'HD Video' and not very film-like but I'm thrilled with tweaks I found starting with the 55EX500 calibrated settings out there as a guide.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for your feedback!
post #29 of 47 Old 02-21-2012, 07:40 PM

Just signed up to say a quick thank you to the folks who contributed to this thread. I've been in the market for a solid but affordable 55" lcd and the info y'all posted helped me decide to go with this unit. Well, about an hour ago I found it at a price I hadn't seen before Christmas. I know the forum is not for retail links or price talk so I won't get into specifics (and I swear I don't work for a retailer!) but I just figured this would be my way of saying thank you: the retailer's name would remind you of a ferocious Asian cat. I'll try to give back to the forum by posting here if I experience any problems with the set. Cheers!
post #30 of 47 Old 02-22-2012, 08:47 PM

I've now had the TV for 4 months, and I have absolutely zero complaints. This is a great TV. The picture and colors are great, and the blacks are decent. I love this television.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Kdl55bx520 55 Inch Bravia Bx520 Series Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page