Sharp LC60LE633U - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 35 Old 09-11-2011, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've been waiting for an official thread to pop up but haven't seen anything yet. I am hoping to see some dialogue about the new TV i just bought because i wont see it myself for another 4-5 months.

I am a US Army soldier writing to you from Northern Afghanistan. I browse AVS for evening entertainment when im off duty and periodically buy components for my home theater. My wife just stockpiles the items she doesnt know how to deal with for me to have my fun with when i get home.

I just bought the Sharp LC60LE633U and had it delivered last weekend. My wife and I are huge Oregon fans and Alumni of both state schools. She watched both our games on Saturday and said the picture was "heavenly." She is no technofile so her opinion is hardly critical. She thought the same of the 50 inch Sony LCD it replaced. I keep looking for dialogue on this TV but havent found any.

So lets hear it. Anyone own this TV yet? Pro's? Con's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 09-11-2011, 12:33 PM

Liked: 10
I'm also interested in hearing opinions about this set, especially as compared to the more expensive Sharp LC-60LE832U that's also on sale at Costco. Has anyone compared these two sets? Is the extra money worth it? I have read a few comments from people who aren't crazy about the sound quality on the LC60LE633U, but since I'll be using external speakers I'm mostly curious about the picture quality. Anyone?
post #3 of 35 Old 09-22-2011, 11:21 PM

This TV is downright spooky! It is so sharp that I'm having trouble adjusting to the way movies look like video tape. While watching an episode of NBC night-time drama, my (low-tech) wife remarked, "It's kinda like they're in the room with you." She's right, though, because the depth is so close to 3D that it is unsettling. I haven't been able to adjust to watching HBO because of the "videotape" effect. Sports look great after some video adjustment. Sound is not an issue for me, as I use a sound bar. Colors look washed out from extreme viewing angles, but perfect from straight on. I hope I can get used to the 240 MHz refresh rate, but since I'm only two days into it, I suppose I have time. But most of all, the energy savings is amazing! The 50 inch Dell plasma that this TV replaced used to heat the room up almost 10 degrees - this TV gives off no heat and has an amazing projected yearly cost (with 5 hours a day viewing, yeah, right) of a whopping $20 ! I had to read that three times, but it's true. I'm sure I ran up $20 a week with my old plasma. I'm going to miss that TV on cold January nights!
post #4 of 35 Old 09-23-2011, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
A lot of people here don't like the 240Hz motion enhancement. I use either 120Hz Low or turn it off completely.

Why don't you post your settings here. Maybe someone can comment on why you are seeing the "videotape effect". Is sharpness turned up too far?

Allen
post #5 of 35 Old 09-23-2011, 01:41 PM

There is an entire thread on this forum for calibrating this model:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1358929

I'm planning on getting one of these this weekend. I'm really looking forward to it. It will be our first flat-screen (have an old 33" tube right now).

Ben
post #6 of 35 Old 09-24-2011, 05:35 PM

Okay. I went and bought the Sharp LC60LE633U at my nearby Costco today.

First, it was $350 off (looks like until Sept 30th).

Got it home and hooked it up (I put it on it's stand).

So, I'm talking "out of the box", haven't messed with any settings.

Let the air wave channels get programmed (took about 10min) and saw my first HD channel. Wow.

Hooked up a new Panasonic Blu-Ray player (DMP-BD755P-K; I had read it was great at upscaling). Popped in a regular DVD and...WOW. It looked amazing (it wasn't even a blu-ray). Wow!

Hooked up our Wii (regular composite, still waiting for the component cable I ordered). Wow!

My chin is still sore from all the times my jaw hit the ground.

Amazing. Of course it's only 5 hours old. I'll write back in a couple weeks after it's had some burn in time.

Still need to setup the network and try out Netflix (after I ice my chin, maybe )

Ben
post #7 of 35 Old 09-25-2011, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter

We've owned this TV for about 2 weeks now. My wife still thinks its "heavenly" but ill have to wait until January 2012 to see it for myself. Ive been enjoying the pics shes been sending me from her droid in the mean time. She sends great plays and final scores from football games over email and even the crappy pics still show a fantastic picture. She doesnt know the first thing about how to calibrate a TV or what shes missing by watching an out of the box picture so im looking forward to rolling up my sleeves with it when i get home.

In a kinda cool side note. Costco sent us an email saying they are dropping the price $50 a few days after we bought it. They said they will credit our account that $50. The $50 dollar credit appeared a day later. This was about 2 week ago. I just got an email from the wife saying she opened the mail to a $50 costco gift card this morning. Not bad
post #8 of 35 Old 09-25-2011, 10:29 AM

I was watching different movies last night and I kept seeing the that "video tape" or "soap opera" effect. Really drove me nuts so I played around with the available picture settings.

Here's what I found:
Menu --> Picture --> Advanced --> Film

This was set to high (other choices were low, standard, off).

I set it to OFF. And the picture looked MUCH better. Despite its claim to be for "film" sources, it makes the picture too sharp and flat (in my humble opinion). When I turned it off...WHAM, looked more like a film -- not so flat.

I did it several times back and forth to make sure it wasn't something else. It really seemed to be the setting to make the difference.

The other setting which is important is the Motion Enhancement. Choices are:

AquoMotion-240, 120(high), 120(low), off.

Keep this on 240 for movies -- keeps them smooth.

Set it to OFF for sports -- keeps it crisper (this is what I've read).

Oh, also the power settings (OPC stuff) we set to Advanced, I turned them off (read that somewhere else too, I think). Made the picture even better!

Hope this helps anyone out there.

Ben
post #9 of 35 Old 09-26-2011, 12:11 PM

I just spent my first weekend with this TV. It's got an amazing picture when watching an HD show. I agree with the folks above, it almost TOO perfect!

But the Football I watched this weekend was awful! The picture was so rough and grainy. Especially the view of the line of scrimage at the beginning of every play. Even the always-on score graphics (you know, the FOX or CBS constant score board) was grainy & blurry and NOT crisp at all. Is this not a good sports TV?

Is it my HDMI cable which I bought for $5 (could be!). Is it the broadcast? Is it the TV? I use AT&T Uverse...is it that?

Little help! I'm so disappointed!
post #10 of 35 Old 09-26-2011, 01:44 PM

First of all, to GoDucksinAZ, while it pains me to hear you are an Oregon fan (I am a Washington fan -- Go Huskies! ) I just wanted to say thank you for your service!

I've had this TV for a few weeks now and I'm very happy with it. I'm no videophile, but even for me it took some adjusting out of the box before I got a picture I was completely happy with. The calibration thread that was linked to a few responses back has some great advice in it. I suggest checking it out.

I won't try to go into a bunch of technical details since I probably don't know enough to really give good advice, but IMHO you made a great purchase. I did quite a bit of research before I bought this TV and now that I've had a chance to spend some time with it, I don't have any regrets. There didn't seem to be anything else out there that delivers as much as this TV, at the 60" size, and in this price range.
post #11 of 35 Old 10-15-2011, 09:15 AM

I am still interested in peoples settings. I downloaded/burnt that AVS color DVD but i found it a little confusing. I been searching to see if there is a manual on how to properly use it.

My blueray player is a Sony bdv-t58 and i didn't see it listed in the supported BR players. I used the top .exe file. I hope that was the correct one.

Thank you.
post #12 of 35 Old 11-01-2011, 07:44 PM

I've just tried to watch an AVI file on my computer thru DLNA and can't get it to work - it worked perfectly prior to the 310U1110111 firmware update. Anyone else have this problem?
post #13 of 35 Old 11-06-2011, 04:08 AM

I am going to mis-bump if that is even an internet word. I have the TV listed in this thread and i used it to setup my TV. The issue I am having is find any useful information on setting up my Blue-ray player/receiver. Its the Sony bdv-t58. It was a Sam's club special which seems to be making it very difficult to find any useful configuration sites.

If you guy can point me in the right direction i would be obliged. There are so many sub forums i wasn't sure where to post it.
post #14 of 35 Old 11-06-2011, 07:07 AM

Pric keeps dropping on this TV at Costco. The $300 I saved by purchasing an open box unit is now down to $150. And today I notice it's not on Costco.com any longer. I must say I love the size. I know it's not the best there is, but certainly a grat deal given the price.
post #15 of 35 Old 12-06-2011, 01:16 PM

Does anyone else use DLNA to stream video from their PC wirelessly to this tv? It works, but it's so flakey. Some days it connects and plays effortlessly, other days it won't play at all - even though I can see the files listed on the PC. I have a nice Dell, and relying on Windows 7 media player as the server. Does Twonkey work better? Any suggestions?
post #16 of 35 Old 12-15-2011, 08:14 PM

Hello everyone.

I've owned the lc60le633u for about three weeks and have come across an audio issue.
I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this or do you think I have a defective unit.

I have a PS3 connected to a Sony CT-350 via HDMI.
The CT-350 is connected to the TV using a HDMI cable.
A Dish VIP 622 is connected to the TV via HDMI and a toslink to the CT-350.

While watching a TV show, the sound would become distorted/staticy for about 20 to 30 seconds before returning to normal. This has occurred twice. Once using the CT-350 and the other time using the TV speaker.

Do you think I should return it?
Thanks for your advice in advance.
post #17 of 35 Old 12-15-2011, 08:29 PM

I would also like to add that I have a Toshiba 47ZV650U that the Sharp LC-60LE633U was to replace. I never had the audio issue with the Toshiba which was hooked up the same way to the other devices.
post #18 of 35 Old 12-28-2011, 10:27 AM

GoDucksInAZ,

First, THANK YOU so much for your SERVICE and Happy Holliday's!

I am a huge sports fan and these are the settings that have worked best for me. Your wife may want to tweak the Green a touch but should probably just leave it alone. This really made SPORTS events and ESPN colors more true and they seem to POP a lot more. I hope these help and THANKS again to you!!!!

God Bless You!

OPC: OFF
BACKLIGHT: +1 (STANDARD)
CONTRAST: +28
BRIGHTNESS: +17
COLOR: +13
TINT: +16
SHARPNESS: +2
Under PICTURE SETTINGS ADVANCED
CMS Hue
R: -1
G: +4
C: -1
CMS Saturation
R: +1
Y: -2
G: +2
B: +2
CMS Value
R: +3
G: +1
B: +3
COLOR TEMP: Mid-Low
MOTION ENHANCEMENT: On
ACTIVE CONTRAST: ON
GAMMA ADJUSTMENT: -1
FILM MODE: Advanced (Low)
DIGITAL NOISE REDUCTION: High
post #19 of 35 Old 01-04-2012, 11:26 PM

I managed to lock up the TV trying to play a file off a USB drive. It played most of the files I had on the drive, but one of them resulted in a black screen and no response from the TV. Removing the drive and power cycling the set didn't recover it, I had unplug/plug the power cord to get it back to normal operation.

Not that unusual, I've hit the same problem before with USB drives on Blu-Ray players where the power cord had to be pulled to get it out of the hang. Sometimes there are options in the encode than cause this. Of course, feeling you might have bricked a $1350 TV envokes more of a panic than when dealing with a $89 Blu-Ray player!
post #20 of 35 Old 01-06-2012, 10:33 PM

I'm also having problems getting the TV to see any of the DLNA servers on my network. I had it working a while back with Mezzmo on my PC, but I have a NAS box now that has DLNA built-in that it can't find. I suspect it's a network issue though since neither it nor my Panasonic Blu-ray player can find them.

I used Twonky on my Android phone and the TV picked that up right away. There must be something about my NAS box it doesn't like (Synology DS212J)
post #21 of 35 Old 01-06-2012, 11:15 PM

Similar to what happened with the USB, I was in the Vudu app when the internet connection went out. Again, there was no way to exit and recover normal operation other than by pulling the plug.
post #22 of 35 Old 01-19-2012, 10:07 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom4poe View Post

Hello everyone.

I've owned the lc60le633u for about three weeks and have come across an audio issue.
I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this or do you think I have a defective unit.

I have a PS3 connected to a Sony CT-350 via HDMI.
The CT-350 is connected to the TV using a HDMI cable.
A Dish VIP 622 is connected to the TV via HDMI and a toslink to the CT-350.

While watching a TV show, the sound would become distorted/staticy for about 20 to 30 seconds before returning to normal. This has occurred twice. Once using the CT-350 and the other time using the TV speaker.

Do you think I should return it?
Thanks for your advice in advance.

Try a different toslink cable. If they aren't snapped in good they can do weird things. Something easy to try via Occam's razor.
post #23 of 35 Old 01-23-2012, 05:55 PM

i am really interested in this model however i cant seem to distinguish this model from other models. i can only find it at costco it is labeled at 240hz aquamotion, is this really 240 or sharps up marketing of 120?

i also see this in the lc-60le632 and lc-60le600 anyone know the differences?

thank you in advance
post #24 of 35 Old 01-23-2012, 11:59 PM

It seems alot of people are saying the processing power is substandard at 10 bit, trouble with the update system and even though it has 240Hz refresh rate, it still doesn't process good. I read several customer reviews and most were not happy. You may have a good one though. Thanks for serving out country !
post #25 of 35 Old 01-24-2012, 12:02 AM

It is 240 Hz, but if you don't have the proper processor (10 bit for the Sharp), it won't be able to keep up with the refresh rate.
post #26 of 35 Old 01-24-2012, 06:14 AM

so overall is it worth it to get the 240hz of this model or not?
post #27 of 35 Old 01-24-2012, 06:15 AM

has anyone seen the 120hz 60" model bestbuy has for $999 this week? what is the difference in that set to the 632 anyone know? it is a 600
post #28 of 35 Old 01-24-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottpez View Post

has anyone seen the 120hz 60" model bestbuy has for $999 this week? what is the difference in that set to the 632 anyone know? it is a 600

632/633 have advanced color controls, different remote control, 4HDMI inputs, internet enabled, and play divx.
post #29 of 35 Old 01-24-2012, 08:47 AM

is the lc60le600 a 2010 model or late 2011 model does anyone know?
post #30 of 35 Old 01-28-2012, 06:46 AM

I posted this in another thread. I have the 120 HZ LC-60LE632U.

I can see curved faint lines about 1.5 inches thick that run from top to bottom when viewing light colored solid backgrounds. Can anything be done to correct this or is this due to not being an Elite set?

These will show in any View Mode and regardless of the AV Mode settings.

They are very faint but once you know they are there you can't help but notice them every time.

Good news is that they only show with a white or light background as in a snow setting, sky setting, or solid wall in the picture.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Aquos 60 Led 1080p 240hz Hdtv Lc 60le633u
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page