New LG 47LV5500 Hdmi Audio Problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-11-2011, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Purchased an LG 47LV5500 a little over 2 weeks ago from Best Buy. They installed it and hooked the HDMI output from cable box to TV. When powering on TV, most of the time there is a delay and then the video appears with no sound. If you power off/on about 5-20 times, you'll finally get audio. They said it was cable box. Had cable box replaced - same problem. Had BB bring out another brand new TV - same problem. Tried swapping HDMI cables, all the HDMI inputs, made sure all devices had latest software update. Cable company verified all cable box settings ok. Same problem. Now I want to return TV for a different brand and Best Buy is trying to find any excuse to tell me it's not the TV. I expect the HDMI to work on a brand new $1000 TV. I have another LG TV and it works absolutely fine with same cable box and cable. I know there are other connections I can make but I want the hdmi/cable box to work. (It does work from laptop).

BB is having another cable company guy come out tomorrow night to verify all the settings again. I'm pretty sure it's something in the firmware handshake between the 2 devices and replacing hardware at this point seems useless.

Does anyone else have any suggestions as to what I could possibly change that I might have overlooked? LG wants to send out a guy to replace the main board in the tv but even that guy (sub contractor) says it's ridiculous to replace the board on a brand new tv when both brand new tvs I've tried exhibit the same problem.

I agree with Best Buy - it might not be the tv itself and I agree with the cable guys - it might not be the cable box itself. But should I have to turn my tv on/off 5-10 times to get sound?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-11-2011, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
This used to a very frequently asked question. The solution was always to switch from HDMI to red/green/blue component cables for cable boxes to HD tvs. There are no handshake issues with component cables and you receive the same 1080i signal from your cable box. So nothing is lost in picture quality but you have a less problematic signal.

I'll bet your cable box is a Motorola? They have the most problems. Anyway, I'd try the component cables (you'll need red/white audio cables for sound), and see what happens.

All my HD tvs use component and the picture is excellent.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-11-2011, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for that input - that is what everybody tells me and I know I can do that and that's probably what I'll have to end up doing but right now I'm annoyed that everyone is telling me it should work (which it should) and with other TVs it does.

Actually the Best Buy guy told me that I should just use the cable straight in from the wall
post #4 of 4 Old 09-12-2011, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

The cable guy came out and he was honest and said with hdmi nobody knows if it's the TV or the cable box. He also recommended the component inputs but as we talked a little bit he said there are newer cable boxes and it would be worth giving one of the new Samsung cable boxes a shot.

He dug one up for me and it seems to work much much better - I'll have to see how it goes over the long term. So far I've had audio all the time. It seems like the Samsung is faster to respond to the hdmi handshake.

Hopefully this will help someone else out if they are stubborn like me and want their hdmi to work.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page