Official Toshiba 46UL610U, 55UL610U, 65UL610U Owners Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 191 Old 11-17-2011, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by xela19115 View Post

Talked to a rep from a vendor through which I usually purchase TV's. They are authorized Toshiba reseller/dealer. I wanted to get 55UL610U and he did not have any in stock. He called Toshiba and after speaking to a few sources the word is that the whole line is cancelled. Toshiba shipped about a hundred of UL610U's and shelved it.

Even he was kind of shocked that they'd do that but apparently it's not that unusual to kill a very perspective product like that. The worst part is that Toshiba is going in to a holiday season without a flagship series product.

So now I'm torn between Panasonic TC-P55GT30 and Sharp LC52LE835U. Either way it's not going to be Toshiba.

Wow! That's disappointing. The 55 was on my short list.

Click For My Website - www.E55AMG.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 191 Old 11-17-2011, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xela19115 View Post

Talked to a rep from a vendor through which I usually purchase TV's. They are authorized Toshiba reseller/dealer. I wanted to get 55UL610U and he did not have any in stock. He called Toshiba and after speaking to a few sources the word is that the whole line is cancelled. Toshiba shipped about a hundred of UL610U's and shelved it.

Even he was kind of shocked that they'd do that but apparently it's not that unusual to kill a very perspective product like that. The worst part is that Toshiba is going in to a holiday season without a flagship series product.

So now I'm torn between Panasonic TC-P55GT30 and Sharp LC52LE835U. Either way it's not going to be Toshiba.

Not good news since I was considering the 65" model which was priced very competitive compared to other 65" models. Guess I have to move towards a LG, Samsung, or Sony.
post #93 of 191 Old 11-21-2011, 05:12 PM

I am interested in this tv. How does this compare to SAMSUNG D8000 series? Anyone please.
post #94 of 191 Old 11-22-2011, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Does anyone know why Toshiba "axed" the 610U ?

It sure looks good on paper , and some places like Crutchfield are still showing stock.

There are cheaper places , but still if they axed it then whats the point , but it is still tempting me.

If anyone reads this and knows why it was axed , please post , thanks !

Gary 
post #95 of 191 Old 11-22-2011, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Strange !!

I just got off the phone with Toshiba Direct , and although they don`t sell the 610U directly , I asked if it was a TV still in production and they said " YES" .

Was that just to shut me up ! , OR , have the rumors of it`s early demise been overstated ?

Need more info , Many Thanks !!

Gary 
post #96 of 191 Old 11-23-2011, 11:11 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi29 View Post

Strange !!

I just got off the phone with Toshiba Direct , and although they don`t sell the 610U directly , I asked if it was a TV still in production and they said " YES" .

Was that just to shut me up ! , OR , have the rumors of it`s early demise been overstated ?

Need more info , Many Thanks !!

Gary 

I called Toshiba Direct as well and received the same answer. But I think they are usually the last to know . Direct dealers have a better information sources withing company's sales channel and probably a more reliable information. Nonetheless, it's too late for me. I found a fantastic deal on 55" Panasonic plasma and got that. I did not like Sharp since it had far worse PQ than Toshiba.

As to why would Toshiba cancel the line, who knows? But it does happen once in a while and most Tier 1 & 2 vendors do that. I guess that Toshiba's sales projection models weren't working and UL610 would have cannibalized 515 series sales. So they made a decision....

My advice is that if you can still find UL610 set (whether it was cancelled or not) in the size you like and at the price that you can live with then get it. You won't regret it. The specs on TV are really good. And since Toshiba is not Vizio, it'll be here for years to come and you'll still get support for it years from now.
post #97 of 191 Old 11-25-2011, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the info and advise

I still think it`s strange , but will have to do more research.

Have you heard of any "bad boards" in the 610U ?

Later - Happy Holidays !

Gary 
post #98 of 191 Old 11-25-2011, 08:56 AM

post #99 of 191 Old 12-05-2011, 04:49 PM

I bought the 46UL610U Saturday and was wondering if anyone has figured out some good settings. Preferably geared towards fps play on an xbox 360. The out of the box game mode on this tv is kind of shoddy imho.
post #100 of 191 Old 12-06-2011, 05:57 AM

Conns has the 46UL610 with 3D Blu-Ray player for $999!!!!!!
Sale is good till the 10th. I got two of them and they are FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!
post #101 of 191 Old 12-06-2011, 08:21 PM

I got my 46" from conns. came with a free 3d blueray player. question....why in the info pane does it say 60hz? shouldn't it be much higher than that?
post #102 of 191 Old 12-07-2011, 12:06 PM

'Should' be 480hz. Go into your settings and tinker a bit. Might be under 'Clear Scan'. I'm sure someone else will chime in with specifics. I'm at work otherwise I'd help you out a little more.
post #103 of 191 Old 12-10-2011, 12:16 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbus View Post

I got my 46" from conns. came with a free 3d blueray player. question....why in the info pane does it say 60hz? shouldn't it be much higher than that?

What you are seeing is the "makeup" of the input signal, not what the TV puts out.

The signal from a blueray player or PC is always 60Hz, same as the signal coming through your cable network (cable TV frame rate is tied to the Hz of your electrical network, usually 50Hz in Europe, 60Hz in the US. This is also why some cheaper european TVs do a cheap conversion of the signal by doubling a frame every couple of frames, which you can see as "jumping" effect in moving pictures when fed from a PC/Console).

Also, the WX800U is a true 240Hz TV, while the UL610U is a true 240Hz TV with added black frames and backlight scanning (black bar moving over the picture in fast succession), giving it 480Hz (they usually add CMR to those marketing measurements). Here in Europe Samsung started this whole CMR thing, and since most people have no clue at all, and most sales persons have either no clue or are just interested in selling you a TV "whatever", it works wonders. People look at the D5xxx series and see 100Hz, then look at another TV same size, same price that says 50Hz, and they go with the Samsung. Even though Samsungs 100Hz CMR claims are mumbo jumbo and it's, in fact, still a 50Hz TV. Now it's getting out of hands with Philips advertising 1200Hz TVs. LCD Panels are still max 200Hz (240Hz for the US), i.e, 3 artificial pictures get inserted. I haven't heard of any native 400Hz/480Hz panels yet.

Also, yes, it's Edge Lit (the LED Backlight badge is on every Toshiba TV, which should denote that it's not a LED TV, but a LED Backlight TV. Other TV makes opted to call it LED TV, which is just misleading. The LED Backlight TV then can still be further denoted by either Full LED or Edge LED, though Toshiba opted to call it ProLED512 and ProLED32, it's at least nicely explained in their promo material. You can even find youtube videos from Toshiba explaining the two, just go to youtube and "youtube" those two ProLED terms).

Also, Full HD 3D TVs with active shutter technology need to have a 200/240Hz panel to alternately display the two different frames for the left and right eye in acceptable speeds (slower Hz rating would lead to longer open/close phases on the glasses, which would introduce inacceptable flickering and, of course, more noticeable judder. It's probably the reason for the 1:2 downscaling of 3D material in the D6xxx Samsung series (1080p material gets scaled to 540p, 720p gets scaled to 360p (i.e, the downscaling is very visible when playing 3D console cames, as they put out 720p), so its 100/120Hz refresh rate panel can "keep up". (Not 100% perfectly sure on this, but it has a certain logic to it, the 100/120Hz panel thing is taken from research by the SamyGo forums.)
post #104 of 191 Old 12-12-2011, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbus View Post

I bought the 46UL610U Saturday and was wondering if anyone has figured out some good settings. Preferably geared towards fps play on an xbox 360. The out of the box game mode on this tv is kind of shoddy imho.

With TV BLACK LEVEL on FULL and 360 color reference set to expanded:
GAME Input:
Backlight:47
Contrast:82
Brightness:1
Color:-2
Tint:0
Sharpness:-7

Adv. Settings:
Color Temp:6
Static Gamma:10

Color Master:
RED:2,2,-1
GREEN:0,1,-1
BLUE:2,1,-1
YELLOW:0,2,2
MAGENTA:3,1,-2
CYAN:-1,5,1
post #105 of 191 Old 12-27-2011, 03:34 PM

I just received my new Toshiba 46UL610U. It cost $25 to ship to my home in Maryland from Texas.
I purchased on 15DEC at Conn's online. Price at that time: $1199.00
However, today I saw same TV at Conn's for $200.00 less ($999).
I called Conn's and their Price Guarantee plus 10% allowed me to receive a partial refund of $210. Nice!
Before I mount to my living room wall to replace my 3-year old Toshiba Regza 46LX177, I want to make sure all features with TV work as mounting to wall is allot of work in case I have to return it.
Everything seems fine, but I am having problems configuring Wireless Network settings.
All my other household wireless devices work fine with settings I am attempting to configure. But the Toshiba says there is an encrytion/authentication problem after I set the same settings I use with all other wireless clients.
Has anyone else had wireless setrup problems? How does one enter special characters in network key field using remote? Does one enter 'Return' after entering network key, and then click done?
Any help would be appreciated or else I have to call support. This info is vague in manual and keyboard illustration is non-existant.
post #106 of 191 Old 12-28-2011, 10:08 AM

Is everyone still happy with these ? im looking at the 65 conns has a great price on it. but they have it hooked up with coax cable playing sd channel so i cant judge how it looks with hd or blue ray ?!
post #107 of 191 Old 12-28-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlikey View Post

Is everyone still happy with these ? im looking at the 65 conns has a great price on it. but they have it hooked up with coax cable playing sd channel so i cant judge how it looks with hd or blue ray ?!

I'm still in love with mine. No issues at all (now if only that was still true with my BDX3000 player....)

Also, if anyone in Canada (other than me) is looking for a couple more pairs of glasses, Toshiba.ca has their 1st Gen Active glasses on for $9.99 a pair! They're a little heavier than the ones that come with this set and run off batteries but... $10. Well worth it to have a couple extra pairs set aside.

http://www.toshiba.ca/web/product.gr...1031&category=
post #108 of 191 Old 12-29-2011, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
So are all of the sets Edge lit?
post #109 of 191 Old 12-29-2011, 09:25 PM

Being on the East Coast and never heard of Conn's before, how safe and trustworthy is to buy a unit from them? Would they deliver it right to my living room or will leave at the door? Do I need to inspect the package? Your thoughts, please
post #110 of 191 Old 12-30-2011, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynta View Post

Being on the East Coast and never heard of Conn's before, how safe and trustworthy is to buy a unit from them? Would they deliver it right to my living room or will leave at the door? Do I need to inspect the package? Your thoughts, please

I wish I knew the answer to that very same question , .

It seems like a very good set for the money , not full array , but still good price.

They are not accredited with online BBB , atleast not that I can tell.
So that is a red flag to me.

However , I really don`t think that means much , not if the stuff is new and it arrives safe and works within Toshiba`s parameters.

The thing that is holding me back is that in a few months new sets will be coming out from everyone.

Sony has always been very good , but they really missed it with the XBR929 , glare + poor sound + IMO very poor workmanship.

I good tv needs a bezel , that is just the way it is , they can still have Gorilla Glass , but give the next TOTL a bezel.
And of course it will have a "Skype" camera built in , just like the progression from having an external 3D unit to having it built in.

But all that aside the 610 , atleast on paper , has my vote.

Just wish I could see one.

Good luck + Happy New Year !

FWIW __ Last year was an "off-year" for Sony - ( IMO ) , so look for some better stuff across the board at CES.

Later ,

Gary 
post #111 of 191 Old 12-30-2011, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi29 View Post

I wish I knew the answer to that very same question , .

It seems like a very good set for the money , not full array , but still good price.

They are not accredited with online BBB , atleast not that I can tell.
So that is a red flag to me.

However , I really don`t think that means much , not if the stuff is new and it arrives safe and works within Toshiba`s parameters.

The thing that is holding me back is that in a few months new sets will be coming out from everyone.

Sony has always been very good , but they really missed it with the XBR929 , glare + poor sound + IMO very poor workmanship.

I good tv needs a bezel , that is just the way it is , they can still have Gorilla Glass , but give the next TOTL a bezel.
And of course it will have a "Skype" camera built in , just like the progression from having an external 3D unit to having it built in.

But all that aside the 610 , atleast on paper , has my vote.

Just wish I could see one.

Good luck + Happy New Year !

FWIW __ Last year was an "off-year" for Sony - ( IMO ) , so look for some better stuff across the board at CES.

Later ,

Gary 

Conns is great. I have purchased my last 4 TV's from them. I have never had a complaint. Their warranty is also good. If something happens to the set, they will get u a brand new one. if the set is not available any longer, they will give you an equivalent. And if you got good credit, I got mines for zero interest for 3 years. Same as cash as long as I dont pay longer than three years. cant beat it.
post #112 of 191 Old 12-30-2011, 03:56 PM

Going into 2012, I hope it will be a better year for all. We will see what new models will be introduced at CES. But even if the new breathtaking model announced there, I doubt it will find a way into Big Box showroom. They prefer to carry Samsungs and LGs.
post #113 of 191 Old 12-30-2011, 05:07 PM

ok, i have the 46 inch regazza for three years it works fine, now when i turn it on i see a red vertical line or two, after a few minutes they go away, why i joined this forum is to find out will they always go away> or will some day they will be there permanently? i have just under a year on the extended warrenty, im very dissapointed after only 3 years to have this problem! my last tv a 35 inch mitsubishi lasted 19 years! thanks,
john
post #114 of 191 Old 01-01-2012, 10:23 PM

Okay. I am hoping for the best with all the trouble to shop, purchase and mount the new Toshiba 46UL610U HDTV I received 10-days ago from Conns.com

The 46UL610U is less than half the thickness of my 46LX177 and about half the weight. My plan is to remove 46LX177 from living room and put it in my bedroom. The 46UL610U is newer and a Cinema Series 46" just like the LX177 model that I've had for two years. This new Toshiba will now go into the living room in same location.

The 46LX177 has served me well with no technical problems and excellent image quality. But with all video sources the same and looking at the 46UL610from same place, the images seem more pixelated and whites look odd, or maybe blown-out a bit. NFL football fields seem out of focus now.

Also, I don't remember as many TV channels that looked 'soft' like I seem to see now with the 46UL610U. Perhaps the out-of-the-box picture settings need to be adjsuted?

I'll update this post if anyone is interested. And I may even return the TV if I cannot get it to perform as well as the older Toshiba. Perhaps it is that Regza is no longer branded on this Cinema Series model and may have something to do with lesser image quality?
post #115 of 191 Old 01-02-2012, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Thank you for your short review and opinion , more info please !

Many thanks , & Happy New Year and best of luck with it.

Soft pixelated picture ? , does not sound good , I hope you can find a way to adjust it.
Please post again , thanks.

G. 
post #116 of 191 Old 01-02-2012, 06:01 PM

I just bought the 55ul610 at a local store and am anxious to get it setup. If anyone does have some starting point for calibration I would be very appreciative!!
post #117 of 191 Old 01-02-2012, 06:21 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnkee View Post

I just bought the 55ul610 at a local store and am anxious to get it setup. If anyone does have some starting point for calibration I would be very appreciative!!

I also ordered my 65" from Conns. It should be here in a few days. Let us know how this set looks.

I usually set the toshibas on AutoView and increase brightness a tiny bit. It gives a nice pop and contract to the picture and still looks natural.

Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Speakers: 5.1, Polk Monitor 70 Biamped (R,L), Polk CS20 (Center), Polk OWM3 (Rears), Yamaha (Woofer) Previous Displays: Sharp Elite PRO-70X5FD, Sony XBR-65HX950, Toshiba 55SV670U, Mitsubishi WD-65734, Panasonic PT-47WX49

post #118 of 191 Old 01-02-2012, 07:38 PM

Hi I bought the 55UL610U from Conns for 1400 with a 3D blu ray included after black friday. I am really excited about this tv set from Toshiba. I have never owned a Toshiba tv before and I was doubting my buy. But now truly I am very happy with my purchase. I had the tv since Mid-November 2011 and I have been watching all the great movies like all the Transformers movies, the Fast & Furious series, & etc. The movies are Beautiful on blu ray!!!! You just need to play with the video settings and that is where I just need help from you all.

Would anybody have recommended video settings? I want to use Movie 1 to modify the settings.

For the video settings, I would like a vivid, realistic, and life action filming video quality.

I would greatly appreciate your help!

Thank you!
post #119 of 191 Old 01-03-2012, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

The best thing to do for settings is buy a calibration disc.

There are way to many variables involved such as chip difference ( IC`s are not really all the same ) and even different solder joints ( such as a "cold" solder joint / even though most boards are "wave" soldered , there are still man made joints.)

Even part variants play a factor in color accuracy. So all things considered NO 2 sets will really be alike.

Best of luck and keep the reviews coming !!

Later ,

G. 

PS:

Of course this "difference" could play in your favor by having a perfect set "right - out - of- the - box"
post #120 of 191 Old 01-04-2012, 12:11 PM

Thank you Jedi29!! That does makes sense. Yes really enjoying this tv set! Thanks again
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page