Official Toshiba 46UL610U, 55UL610U, 65UL610U Owners Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-14-2012, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I recently purchased a 55UL610U TV. I do like the TV but I cannot get the skin tones looking natural. I have tried the settings listed a few pages back.

Any recommendations on new settings? I am using the “movie 1” mode and have tried to adjust the base colors in Advanced settings and settings under white balance. I can not get the skin tones to look natural… they either look sun burnt or chalky.

Is there a service menu to achieve better color reproduction?

I do like the tv and got a great deal, so I do not want to return it. Please let me know if you can assist.

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2012, 12:47 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott101 View Post

Hi,

I recently purchased a 55UL610U TV. I do like the TV but I cannot get the skin tones looking natural. I have tried the settings listed a few pages back.

Not sure how long you've had the set. But what I've experienced in the past, with two different manufactures, is that wait a few days to a week or more before you start to adjust the picture. There really does appear, at least to me, to be an amount of time that the panel needs to "break in". I bought a new Toshiba about two years ago. Same thing. The skin tones looked unnatural. For the first few days, I just couldn't get them looking good. But after a few days, things just seemed to fall into place.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroG View Post

Not sure how long you've had the set. But what I've experienced in the past, with two different manufactures, is that wait a few days to a week or more before you start to adjust the picture. There really does appear, at least to me, to be an amount of time that the panel needs to "break in". I bought a new Toshiba about two years ago. Same thing. The skin tones looked unnatural. For the first few days, I just couldn't get them looking good. But after a few days, things just seemed to fall into place.

Thanks. I have had for about a 4 days and it has been on for about 10 hours or so in total.

Should I be putting the settings back to default and then adjust after a few weeks... or can I leave the settings as is and wait to see if the skin tones improve over the next few weeks of watching. The color is better than day one but this is encouraging if it will improve even more after the set breaks in.

thx again!
Old 02-17-2012, 07:26 PM

Liked: 14
Scott, If it were me, I'd reset and start over again. Also, make sure you are using a live source, such as the nightly news for adjusting for skin tones.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palace7473 View Post

Hello all! I am new to AVS Forum. This is my first post. I had to comment on this Toshiba 65UL610U HDTV. So here goes:
First of all...I REALLY wanted to love this TV!!! It has every feature offered in the world of HDTV. The price is great...the size is great...the features are state of the art! Sound is actually very nice for such a slim TV! Picture was very good BUT...Now the bad part...there is visible clouding in dark scenes...scanning is absolutely horrendous! Curtain like dark vertical bands appear on scan/pan scenes and /or they appear on white or very bright scenes. Since this is an EDGE LIT HDTV what you are seeing are the LED light tubes not diffusing the light correctly...the light is not scattering properly but is instead creating a shadow of the tube that is very visible. Once you see the problem youll always see it because it is so obvious! The TV stand is probably the weakest stand ive ever seen...the TV leans forward about 10-15 degrees. I went through several TVs thinking I had "the defective one" but they were all the same. Google this tv and you wont find much information on it at all. For a Toshiba 65" HDTV with this spec sheet you would think there would be all kinds of reviews and information...there isnt! why? Because the TV is inherently flawed and Toshiba knows this and is very hush hush about it. I tried to love this TV but it has too may flaws that I just cant live with. If you can live with these flaws then I would not hesitate to buy this TV.
After trying 3!!! different ones I finally gave up and bought the Panasonic Plasma TC-P65GT30! I could not be happier! This might be the perfect HDTV...near perfect screen uniformity...near perfect blacks/dark scenes...near perfect scanning and video processing and absolutely no fluctuating brightness! I have a July 2011 build but it has all the new firmware updates including the PDP EEP patch 83.44 as checked in the service menu. Good luck to all who purchased this TV...I hope you got the good ones!!

From my point of view,Palace had the exact same issues as me.
Had mine for 2 1/2 months and was disapointed from day 1
I too really wanted to like/love the set but was never able to.
I had to fight to return it but finally settled with the store to exchange for a Pani TCP65VT30.(Now that's a TV )
The way palace explains his issues coundn't be more clear.
THIS IS EXACTELY HOW MY SET WAS BEHAVING.
Some people said i was crazy or to picky but when specs like these are advertised,then you expect some WOW! not some YUK.
So i totally stand by palace7473's critic and as he said,good luck with your sets.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencc3 View Post

With TV BLACK LEVEL on FULL and 360 color reference set to expanded:

How do you set the TV's BLACK LEVEL to FULL?
Old 02-26-2012, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by allencc3
With TV BLACK LEVEL on FULL and 360 color reference set to expanded:

I got rid of my PS3 and upgraded to the Panasonic DMP-BDT210 3D BD player, and I also got rid of the pesky Pioneer A/V reciever and upgraded to the Onkyo 609. Everything looks incredible.

However, I have some questions:

1) How do you set the Toshiba's BLACK LEVEL to full?
2) What settings do you suggest now that I am using a true 3D BD player instead of the PS3
3) I use a Directv HD DVR what settings do you recommend?

Thanks again.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:32 PM

Old 02-26-2012, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alec32 View Post

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-65UL610U-65-Inch-Dimming-LED-LCD/dp/B004MFBHB0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330306239&sr=8-1

I'm looking to buy soon & just wondering if this is a good deal? Thanks!

No it's not.

Conns usually has them cheaper than $2500 which is the cheapest online or anywhere for that matter. Right now it's listed at $2999

http://www.conns.com/toshiba-65ul610...c24569857d4239
Old 03-13-2012, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Got rid of this TV 3 days ago and went with the Panasonic 65" plasma.

This tv really is problematic just like the critics said. I mean...the clouding, and the scanning...horrendous.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:30 PM

Hi, does anybody know if the 65ul610u works with nvidia 3D play?